Scene Three. The Maritime East Shipping Agents

The disappearance of a New York socialite might, on an ordinary day, simply become the subject of gossip column nattering and speculation.
This, though, is no ordinary day. Veronica Chadwick’s disappearance is but a single link in a chain of events that envelops the investigators in a web of terror and madness that might end with their deaths – or might never end at all…

Moderator: Priest

DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Scene Three. The Maritime East Shipping Agents

Post by DrVendetta »

Priest,ok lets see if I can get these rolls to work right ;) Distant Forest memory Occult roll chance = 65% + 10% = 75% chance [dice]0[/dice] Sanity = 55 + 10% = 65% chance [dice]1[/dice] So I believe I made both rolls and do not take any Sanity damage
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson
"A bit gruesome huh, anything look familiar?" Ted asks.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

"Yes it is quite gruesome" replies Paul as he sets the smoothed out piece of paper on the table and points to the doodles as he responds to Ted "Well this here looks to be Fuji rising above the Aokigahara forest, I see a shadowy faced women here that I believe is a Yurei, and here I see womens bodies hanging from trees" Paul clearly appears to be thinking deeply about somthing as he continues to stare at the portion of the doodles where he pointed out the hanging female bodies.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson
"Well I actually wondered if you could tell us something we didn't already know." Ted looked very disappointed and ordered the lunch special.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Madness does tend to run in the family," says Tony. "Remember what happened with Edgar."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

-I have another doubt. When we find her, what do we do? We cannot simply grab her. Because legally she isn't insane yet, even if we suspect that.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Paul Wellington (Dr V),Dice rolls Correct. Something about the hanging girls reminds you of something you had either heard or read at some time. The drawings look more like ritual suicide rather than simple lynching. The ritual suicide angle fits with other,unsubstantiated, tales you had heard about the forest, but had, according to contacts within the travel business, been strongly refuted by the Japanese Government, who claim that such stories are the product of Anti-Japanese elements within the authorities of the western powers. (Remember this is the 1920s and Japan has little love for ideas being introduced by foreigners, especially the Americans and British.)
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Bridget drums her fingers across the tabletop.

"I'd say we leave the decision as to what to do with Veronica once we locate her to Miss. Chadwick." she suggests, "I'd think finding her should be sufficient for the time being."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Paul, coming back out of his intent staring at the doodles of female bodies hanging from the tree's in the forest says to Ted "Well I can't be sure without doing some checking but these drawings of the women hanging from the tree's kind of fit up with some tales that I have heard about this Forest and women doing ritual suicides there or something to that effect. It has a been a while since I heard this story and can't quite rember who I heard it from but I will see if I can track down more information on it before we leave" and with that Paul looks back up, realizing that he had been racking his brain for the memory of where he had heard about this and when for a little longer than he should have.

He then ask "Who is Edgar?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson
"Edgar was Veronica's cousin. Just got out of the asylum. we are thinking this might be something that runs in the family." Ted gets his plate of food and digs in.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

"So who are the Chadwicks and who is backing us for this?" Paul ask
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They're Veronica's family," explains Tony. "They're the ones backing us, and they're very wealthy."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

"How did all of this begin though? How did they know she had left or was having problems?" reply's Paul
PatGrillo
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by PatGrillo »

Professor Krugman: Yes... Please arrange for a passage to Japan for us as soon as possible... and I think, you might do so on the most favourable terms given the bad publicity which may accrue to your agency if the young girl has come to any harm! A freighter you say? Oh dear. Oh well, needs must I suppose. When does it leave, and how long will it take us to reach San Francisco?
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson
"It all started with Veronica sending out the most peculiar letters, to cut off all ties with her past life. Family, friends, but it was very odd." Ted stopped for a second thinking, not daring to speak the thought that popped into his head. "From what we can peace together, she just went down her address book and sent a letter to each person in there breaking ties."
Teds thought: So its possible that anyone could send those letters. The original letter offered nothing as proof except it being in her hand writing.
"This prompted a response from her aunt that sent out a 2nd rate investigator, who found nothing except that Veronica was missing. So she hired us to do a more thorough job. And that we will." Ted finishes as he begins eating the pasta plate in front of him.
Last edited by BenTheRat on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Noble glances up at the lone figure of the professor, lone since most of the others had gone to Luigi's next door,

"Uh, the boat 'Star of the Pacific, is due to embark from Frisco on Tuesday next. And I reckon its a two day trip overland to Frisco, probably faster by air but that will cost more."
OOC:   I have no idea how long it would take to travel from Arkham to SF by rail, but we'll say two days :?  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Paul responds to Ted "Well she spoke pretty formal Japanse when she was here, was she studing it at school or has she been to Japan before?"
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

"Quite the opposite!" Bridget interjects, "She was a mathematics student for crying out loud. Whatever compelled her to learn Japanese, it was entirely extracurricular."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson
"Paul, what day was she supposed to land in Miko. It can be a long trip across the pacific, maybe we can have a message left for her?" Ted muses. "Mmmm, try this pasta, it is excellent."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, the fettucine is delicious!" says Tony between mouthfuls. "We could send a message to Japan, but would she even pay any attention to it? It might be better if we could travel by air, as she's got quite a headstart on us, but it would be much more expensive."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “A Dream of Japan”