Scene One, The Party At Chadwick Manor

The disappearance of a New York socialite might, on an ordinary day, simply become the subject of gossip column nattering and speculation.
This, though, is no ordinary day. Veronica Chadwick’s disappearance is but a single link in a chain of events that envelops the investigators in a web of terror and madness that might end with their deaths – or might never end at all…

Moderator: Priest

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Scene One, The Party At Chadwick Manor

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson

Ted walks into the room and notices the large crowd. What the hell are all these people here? does she want me to babysit or work?
He scans the room at the faces, nodding to anyone that bothers to look at him. Ted notices people helping themselves to Ms. Chadwick's books. Well it is a library after all.
library use,target = 45 [dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by BenTheRat on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
PatGrillo
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by PatGrillo »

Professor Krugman: Indeed, and no. And to you Sir, also no. It is indeed a mystery, but I suspect that mysteries are her stock-in-trade.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Bridget Barrett turns to the big guy, Tony Esposito, "Hmm... you’re probably right. Looks like a kid's book of bedtime stories, but not the kind of stories I'd want my kids reading before bed". She grins and colours slightly, "If I had any that is"
She flicks open a page at random. "This story deals with something called a Yurei, ghosts in white robes with long tangled hair. Whom, it would appear, sometimes harm and other times aid”
She turns a few more pages, studies and then, “And here it talks of the Hitodama, mischievous ‘soul’ lights that draw unwary travellers astray in the deep forest”
She holds up the book so that all can view the illustrations. The Yurei, in particular, look very unappealing in their long white robes hair tangled and windswept all teeth and long, sharp fingernails. To the casual observer they seem the perfect creature to inflict the most awful nightmares on a young child.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Tilda Smith-Chadwick

I notice the cool gaze of the young reporter ... what's her name now ... Bridget something or other. I suppose I had better start to talk to someone, and her and the old man and the big chap - they look as good a trio as any other. I walk over to where they are in conversation and just catch the tail end of it as Bridget show the picture of the Yurei round the small group.

"Absolutely ghastly dah-ling ... the Japanese are so lurid in their legends."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That Hitodama reminds me of Will o' the Wisps," says Tony. "Funny that Japan has a similar legend. Maybe there's a kernel of truth behind it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
PatGrillo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by PatGrillo »

Professor Krugman: And the Yurei are bogey men. All systems of folklore have them. They appeal to our primal instincts, or need to be afraid, our titillation of the prospect of terror. But that of course does not mean that there are not real terrors out there...
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Francis is getting even more bored in teh room, drinking. Where is everyone anyway?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Kabukiman,My apologies I assumed that you would realise that you had also been included in the Chadwick's request to go to the library. Consider that E. Francis Hardy is in the library with the others and has heard the description of the book by Bridgett and can see the illustrations. Moral to this interlude is 'never assume' - my bad. Please make an [b]Occult Roll[/b]
At this point the doors to the library open and Regina Chadwick accompanied by the portly figure of Nelson Myers enter. She glances around in that familiar way that the rich have of observing lesser beings.
Having acertained the presence of all six invited she speaks in the clipped accent of East Coast society, "I want to thank you all, personally, for coming. I realize that tonight has been a bit… well, uncomfortable. But you must see that I couldn’t just let dear Edgar rot away in that awful place. Why, they treated him like some vulgar convict, believe you me. It was no place for a poor, damaged, sensitive soul like my nephew." She pauses, as if awaiting interuption but not wanting any, to grasp a breath.

"To the point then. Some of you do not know my niece, Veronica. She is such a special girl, so full of promise, so
lively. Until… well, she’s been away at college, at that awful university she had her heart set on in Arkham."

She almost spits the name of Arkham in an apparent show of disgust. A successful roll of Psychology (-10) will reveal a shadow of truth behind her display, that being more one of fear than disgust.

“Well, just two weeks ago I received this horrible letter from her. This, from such a lovely girl, a girl who was as dear to me as if she were my own. I cannot bear to read it aloud. Mister Myers, if you please?”
Myers steps forward, clears his throat and reads the letter. You can tell by the way Regina Chadwick turns away that its contents upset her greatly. After he has finished reading he passes the letter amongst you so you can read it for your selves.
- Anais Nin
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4532907/

OOC: No, it was my fault, I reread everything now, and saw that somehow I missed that I should have go to the library.

Francis is surprised by the letter. Is madness a problem in the family? Or is it something else?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

E. Francis Hardy (kabukiman),The description and the illustrations in the book that the reporter lady is brandishing, are nothing new to you. You have come across these before in your researches for ideas. Whatever is going on here, and the strange letter confirms it, might be the basis for the book to turn your fortunes around.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson

Ted speaks for the first time, "Sounds to me as though your niece has fallen into the wrong crowd. Did you want me to fetch her home for you?"
Meanwhile thinking about all the talk before this, "Poppycock to the lot of it. Nothing but stories to frighten children into behaving. Parents that would use a story when a good leather belt will do the trick just fine."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Regina Chadwick smiles at the detective, "Ah Mr Nelson, I am pleased you came we could use your skills in this."
She opens a silver box on the table containing the coffee pot and takes out a cigarette which she proceeds to fit into a long, elegant holder, "When the letter arrived four days ago I wasted no time in trying to contact Veronica. However I was unable to get any reply to my attempts. Frustrated by her uncharacteristic behaviour, not to say the strangeness of the letter, I had Myers go out to the university to check on her" She pauses puts the cigarette holder to her lips and watches as Myers, having produced an expensive looking lighter, lights it. She inhales then exhales a thin stream of tobacco smoke.
"He discovered that she had ceased attending her classes some two weeks ago and had been missing from her lodgings all that time. Although neither his or my subsequent investigations were able to uncover anything of value, I have a feeling, call it intuition if you like, that she has indeed fallen in with the 'wrong crowd' as you so eloquently put it, or I fear a cult of some sort"
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson

"A cult I have no doubt is behind it Ms. Chadwick." Ted stops for a second to light his own cigarette and continues, "Nothing but covers for fraud, crime and the 'medium racket'". Using his fingers to quote and emphasize the latter. "Why you have to look no further than Mr. Houdini's book from a couple years back, 'A Magician among the Spiritualists' to know what a fraud that is. I suspect she has moved into a house with a dozen other followers, and are trying to con someone somewhere. It shouldn't be that difficult to find her."
Ted inhales deeply on his cig and blows a smoke ring, "but like with all cases the warmer the trail, the easier it is to follow."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Tilda Smith-Chadwick

"I find this totally at odds with the girl I know and love. I know that people change in the passage of their lives, but to effect such a radical change over such a short period of time is remarkable. However I think it may be prudent to not jump to too many conclusions at this point. You say she has been missing form her lodgings and classes for a couple of weeks Aunt Regina. Now whilst I agree that she could have fallen in with the wrong crowd, as ... Mr Nelson is it? Yes, as Mr Nelson states, there is little actual proof that this is the case in reality. Veronica was always such a sweet girl who could brighten any room simply by entering through the doorway. Let us not assume the worst just yet. Talk of cults and so on may be premature given we actually know very little."

I surprise myself at the speech I have just made ... certainly nothing like I expected. Now this is a turn up for the books and no mistake. I read the letter again to try and make some sense of it but if there is any sense in the words, they elude me.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tony frowns and has a sorrowful expression when he hears the letter read out loud. "You're absolutely right," he says to Tilda. "This certainly doesn't sound like the Veronica I know. Can we be sure she even wrote the letter?" When it's his turn to examine it, he inspects the handwriting carefully. "Even if she did, she could have done so under duress. If she was kidnapped that could also explain this - though I'd have expected a ransom demand rather than this letter in that case." He looks at Regina, his jaw set in firm determination. "In any event, you can count on me, Mrs. Chadiwck. I'll find Veronica and bring her back even if I have to go to the ends of the Earth."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-The first place to discover something, would be in the university and speak with her collegues. Someone must know something, at least who se was talking with- says Francis.
PatGrillo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by PatGrillo »

Professor Krugman: It sounds to me that she may have become a little too engrossed in her studies. I've seen that in my own students from time to time. On what course was she enrolled Madam?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Regina Chadwick nods, and it seems her whole mood brightens a little as if a dark shadow had been lifted from her shoulders,
"The University at Arkham" again she spits the name, "Has been on many occasions linked with strange and bizarre groups. It has a reputation for odd occurences, but I am sure you are more than aware of this" She looks pointedly at the professor, "Her studies were English Composition and Geometry, so there is no reason for her to have become involved in any of the Universities less savoury activities"

She takes a final draw on her cigarette before pinching the but from her holder and putting it into a large crystal glass ashtray on the same table as the coffee pot, "As my other niece, Tilda, points out the letter shows a turn of behaviour most unusual and unlike that displayed by Veronica"

She turns to Francis and smiles, before returning to her all inclusive gaze, "My thoughts precisely, Myers here made some enquiries but they uncovered nothing of use. What I want is to engage all of your services to find my niece and return her home to her family. Myers will fill in any details and deal with any financial requirements."

She walks toward the doors, "Of course you will receive suitable recompense for your time and effort. Again Myers will deal with that, in the mean time thankyou, please feel free to return to the party and enjoy yourselves"

With that she exits the room. Leaving the six of you and Nelson Myers, the estate buisness manager.
- Anais Nin
PatGrillo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by PatGrillo »

Professor Krugman: Hmmm... English Composition and Geometry... doesn't sound too dangerous. Mind you, a nasty slip with a compass! Ho, never mind just my little joke you know. Mr. Myers I didn't wish to ask this in front of the young lady's aunt for fear of appearing indelicate, but was there by any chance, at the University, a young man for whom she had formed an affection? Often the way you know since gals were allowed into our universities. Causes all sorts of trouble.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ted Nelson

Great I do get to babysit a bunch of PI wannabes, well a job is a job. Ted thinks to himself.
"I think we should start with her roommate if she had one, close friends, especially a bo, then any clubs or groups she belonged to, followed by classmates and finally her professors. There will be a lot of interviews to do. So Nelson, can you help us out with any names or notes that were gathered from the previous investigations?" Ted asks, inhaling some more smoke from his cigarette.
Then to the whole group, "My name's Ted, PI by trade. I recommend we head to this Arkham U, first light tomorrow. Any other suggestions."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “A Dream of Japan”