Page 1 of 1

Scene One, The Party At Chadwick Manor

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:34 pm
by Priest
Scene One, The Party At Chadwick Manor

You all have been invited to a homecoming welcome gala at the Long Island estate of Regina Chadwick. A society party thrown to celebrate the homecoming of her nephew, Edgar Lee-Chadwick, at the Chadwick Manor Cole Spring Harbour on the extreme end of Long Island, New York on the 29th October 1926.

The party starts at 8pm and is a somewhat strange affair, the magnificent ballroom of the Manor has been decorated with masses of balloons, flowers, and crepe-paper streamers. But since Edgar has developed a phobia to strong and intense colours, all decorations and flowers are in black and white, giving the entire affair a somber feel.

Mrs Chadwick has hired her nephew’s favourite musicians, an extremely popular jazz band called ‘Duke Ellington and his Kentucky Club Orchestra’. Out of the best of intentions, they have been supplied by Regina a song list of her nephew’s favourite songs, but there are only six songs on the list, forcing the band to play them over and over and over. (what is more, they are all bouncy jazz numbers which at this point in the 1920s are inappropriate for high society When the saints go marching in, Yes I’m in the barrel, Basin Street blues, etc..).

This makes an already nervous crowd reluctant to dance – already you have heard more than one guest complain that the music gives the entire affair the feel of a ‘slumming party’. Throughout the ballroom guests huddle in small groups making uncomfortable small talk and watching nervously for the first opportunity to politely leave.

As you mingle amongst these groups, you are able to hear various snippets of information.
Please Roll Fast Talk (+25%) or Knowledge your choice.

Re: Scene One, The Party At Chadwick Manor

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:36 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted circulates through the room, making polite conversation, but his low cost suit makes him stand out as slightly out of place. A couple times already people have made a hasty retreat when he started a conversation. It didn't bother him much, he never cared for the high society crowd anyway. Sure they'll talk to him when they need him to follow a cheating spouse or track down a wayward youth, but outside of that, only Mrs. Chadwick seemed to appreciate his subtle charms. So he helped himself to the free food and drinks and engaged in one of his favorite hobbies of talking to people who don't really want to. Its amazing what they will spill when they don't really want to talk to you. People are an odd lot.
fast talk,target = 90% [dice]0[/dice]
priest,can you get handy to turn on the dice rolling for this forum. Otherwise I have to wait to get home to roll on the other site.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:02 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Theodore Krugman stands awkwardly. He's wearing his suit which he saves for his obligatory attendance at College Formals, but it seems strange without an academic gown over it. He watches rather than engages. And listens...

[Spoiler-Button][dice]0[/dice][/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony Esposito mingles with the guests, dressed in a black suit that covers his extremely bulky frame. Being as tall as he is helps, as he can easily see over the heads of the crowd. He isn't very good at social situations, but he manages to overhear a few interesting things by hanging around the right people.
OOC,Dice are now activated for this forum.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:50 am
by CrackheadC.
Bridget Barrett find the party's setup rather drab and boring, but she did like the music. Reading the room however, she knew talking about what she liked wasn't going to get her much of a story. She flits from group to group making small talk and asking questions about the affair, adopting whatever tone seemed necessary for her momentarily captive audience.

She focus particularly on Edgard Lee-Chadwick's return and strange phobias - asking the help if necessary.
Roll,Fast talk +25% (I am assuming that "Talk 55%" on my sheet is for fast talk so I am going to roll against that as 80% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 am
by Priest
OOC:   Sorry I may have confused folks a little. When I said your choice between rolling Fast Talk (+25%) and Knowledge (Know), I meant your choice which to roll as one will probably be higher. So either Fast Talk (+25%) or Know (as per character sheet).
Hope that clears any confusion I may have caused.

Once everyone has made the roll I will post the results  

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 am
by Cearlan
Tilda Smith-Chadwick

I wander around the room not deigning to get involved in any drawn out conversations. I look down my nose at those who make any such attempts and with a barely disguised sniff and a sneer before I turn and move away.

I wonder how much longer I have to tolerate this ridiculous facade? I think to myself

[dice]1[/dice] Know 80%

I do pick up some small tidbits of information, but nothing that seems relevant to me at this time.
[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Sorry I seem to have made two rolls here - hence my not picking up anything of note.  

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 am
by Priest
During your mingling with other guests you pick up some interesting tidbits of gossip, some may be true others simply rumours.
Crackhead,[b]Edgar Lee-Chadwick[/b] is not insane. He only has a terrible drinking problem, and he was sent away in order to dry out
Cearlan,[b]Edgar Lee-Chadwick[/b] is not insane. He is actually sick with something he caught during his world travels.
Ben,[b]Edgar Lee-Chadwick[/b] was not in any shape to be released from the Asylum, but his aunt [b]Regina[/b] pulled strings to insure his early release.
PatGrillo,[b]Regina Chadwick[/b] is fascinated with the occult.
Mr. Handy,[b] Edgar Lee-Chadwick[/b] is mad, having a touch of the same insanity that plagued the [b]Chadwick[/b] family since they came over on the Mayflower. You know that the first part is true, but had little idea that the madness was inherited.
General Knowledge:

Regina Chadwick – An extremely wealthy lady, twice divorced with no children. Her family consist of her nephew Edgar and her two nieces, Veronica and Tilda. She is a leading light of society, but other than one messy divorce, and, for some, an unhealthy obsession with the occult. She is of little merit, except as a benefactor.

You are all aware that the gentleman in whose honour the party is being given, Edgar Lee-Chadwick, has spent the past two years incarcerated in the Three Pines Asylum, Battle Creek, Michigan.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:56 pm
by kabukiman
Francis is bored. The things he is forced to get a book published. Well, if he had at least a book. Because his mind is completly dry. So he takes a drink and look at all those boring persons. It won't be here that he will find inspiration.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4523086/

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:24 pm
by Priest
Kabukiman,Regina Chadwick likely engineered her nephew’s release from Three Pines in order to ensure her receiving Legal Guardian status over him and so giving her access to his secret fortune.
At precisely ten o’clock to applause and a rendition of For he’s a jolly good fellow, from a band who welcomes the change of music, Edgar Lee-Chadwick is wheeled into the ballroom by a white uniformed attendant. The wheelchairs occupant, Edgar, looks nervous but does his best to act graciously to his guests.

He has a difficult time looking anyone in the eye, and you note that he cannot bear to look at anyone dressed in bright clothing for more than a moment.
Leaving his charge momentarily beneath a sombre looking 'Welcome Home' banner. The attendant heads for the nearest table of drinks, from where he pulls a bottle of soda, pops the cap and takes a long drink - from the bottle.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:34 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Theodore Krugman politely and briefly welcomes the young man home. He'll wait until Mrs. Chadwick is between conversations, then go over to her and introduce himself, by full name and chair. (She will have invited him by name, he wishes to make sure that she can now put his face to his name, and reminds her of his chair in the hope of encourage her to open up about her occult interests.)

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Well, I'm not drinking that soda, thinks Tony, watching the proceedings. I wonder if they have any of the hard stuff laying around. Doesn't have to be illegal, if they've got some left over in their wine cellar from before Prohibition went into effect, and they're wealthy enough that they probably do. This is exactly the sort of special occasion when they might break it out.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 am
by kabukiman
"Well, well, well, this may actually be interesting."
Francis goes near Edgar and give him a a warm welcome.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:11 am
by Priest
Professor Thodore Krugman (PatGrillo),As you approach [b]Mrs Chadwick[/b], impecable in her clothing style if somewhat muted colour wise, you are able to see that she is involved in a deep conversation with two people, one of whom you recognise from the papers as some military officiado, the other awakens no interest in you being merely some overdressed socialite. It would appear from the conversation that discussions over financial matters are being conducted. With your approach the conversation ends. [b]Regina Chadwick[/b], politely, turns to you as you introduce yourself, [color=#0040FF]"Forgive my rudeness professor, but my time is at a premium here"[/color], she turns, her gaze indicating the room full of guests,[color=#0040FF] "I would like to speak to you presently in the library. My buisness manager, [b]Mr Myers[/b][/color]", again her eyes flicker briefly to a dapper dressed, portly individual who stands sipping tea near one of the windows, a sheaf of papers beneath his left arm, [color=#0040FF]"Will give you the details"[/color]
Tony Esposito (Mr. Handy),You know from your employment at the estate that there is a supply of ilicite liquor within a secret area of the cellar. Indeed from the amount of guests sipping from bone china tea cups, you would guess that either the New York social scene had become filled with tea drinkers or the cups merely give the right impression. Also you guess that the soda that the attendant has finished at speed, and is now involved into removing the cap of a second bottle, had contained no ordinary soda, despite the label identyfying it as such. Amongst the New York society faces you see within the room, are others from the top echelons of American society which you recognise from newspaper articles, as well as several that you do not recognise at all. You shrug, [color=#008000]'Well I guess[b] Mrs Chadwick[/b] has her reasons for inviting them, even if they do look out of place'[/color] As you watch a gentleman you do not recognise dressed in a dinner suit that has seen better days, goes over and speaks to [b]Mrs Chadwick[/b], although to far away to overhear the subject of their conversation, you see her look towards the portly figure of [b]Nelson Myers[/b], the Chadwick Estate buisness manager.
E. Francis Hardy (Kabukiman),[b]Edgar Lee Chadwick[/b] accepts your welcome with a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes and has all the warmth of a bucket full of ice. He mumbles something, too low to understand and he seems in no hurry to indulge in further conversation. His stare seems empty his eyes flat and dull, no matter how hard you look there is little sanity in his expression. He looks but moments away from dribbling down his drab brown, soiled tie. Looking around at the assembled dignitaries and social climbers that [b]Regina Chadwick[/b] has gathered, you see several faces you recognise but the one that stands out is [b]Krugman[/b] the parapsychologist, you have read his papers on the subject in your researches for a forthcoming book. Of course you know that the [b]Chadwick[/b] woman has an interest in the occult,[color=#008000] but why would she invite [b]Krugman[/b]?[/color] As you ponder the question, you notice that the white uniformed attendant clutching a half empty bottle of some soda of a brand you don't recognise, heads back toward his charge.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:02 pm
by kabukiman
Francis returns to the table to see if he gets some soda from the same brand.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:13 am
by CrackheadC.
Bridget is disheartened that Edgar seemed to be a drunk - though wheelchair bound seems to suggest there is more to it- but heads heads to speak to him to get a quote anyway, "Hello Mr. Lee-Chadwick, I'm Bridget Barrett with the Brooklyn Eagle. Welcome back, it's good to see you. Are you enjoying your time back?"

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony helps himself to a cup of "tea," then sips it as he maneuvers his way closer to Mrs. Chadwick and her guest so he can hear the discussion - and participate if they wish.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:03 pm
by Cearlan
Tilda Smith-Chadwick

People seem to be queuing up to see the main attraction, though I have had little to do with the man directly, I have met him before. However, now there is something about him that piques my curiosity ... albeit slightly, something that seems a little different, and not just the fact he is in a wheelchair. I maneuver my way to the front of the queue in a brusque manner and introduce myself to Edgar.

"Hello there Edgar. Remember me, it's cousin Tilda? Your mother was gracious enough to invite me to your homecoming, and of course how could I resist the chance to catch up with you once more and meet all these good family members?"

"How could I get out of it without jeopardizing any chance of an inheritance more like?" I muse silently to myself, all the while keeping my best cobra's smile in place.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:49 pm
by Priest
Bridget Barrett (CracheadC),For a brief moment[b] Edgar Lee-Chadwick's [/b]eyes lock on yours, although having an almost vacant look, some would call it souless, you get the impression that whatever afflicts him is not down to alcohol abuse. You speak to him, but before you have a chance to hear any reply, someone a young woman, overdressed and overbearing, brushes you aside and imposes herself between you and [b]Edgar[/b]. For a moment a kaliedoscope of faces cross your mind, until! [color=#008000]'Ah yes, of course, the boorish socialite and general good time girl [b]Tilda Smith-Chadwick[/b]. Fortune hunting as usual no doubt'.[/color]
Tilda Smith-Chadwick (Cearlan),Pushing your way to your cousins location meant pushing one rather drably attired female aside. For a moment you think you should recognise her, but dismiss that thought immediately. As you had expected you get no response from cousin [b]Edgar[/b], not even a flicker of recognition. However you realise that your aunt had noted your precense anyway so there is really no need to stay at this booring party any longer. Of course you had recognised the Band and in contrast to the horrified attitudes of others to the music you were enjoying the show even if the playlist was somewhat lacking. For a few moments you considered dancing to [i]'Basin Street Blues'[/i], just for reaction, but had decided against it. From the corner of your eye you notice the overweight figure of your aunt's buisness manager, the unimpressive Nelson Myers, heading towards you. It seems from the expression on his dull face that he intends to speak to you.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:33 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted watches with a curious eye at the attention the invalid is receiving. He looks around for white coat attendant and makes his way over to him drinking his soda. In a hushed ton, "So did you draw the short straw? Or did you volunteer for this?" in a joking way as Ted also reaches for a soda.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:21 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson (BenTheRat),[ic-quote=Ted Nelson]"So did you draw the short straw? Or did you volunteer for this?"[/ic-quote] Aware that the question had been directed at him the attendant halted, though his vision remained fixed on his charge. [color=#0040FF]"Neither, I was hired by [b]Mrs Chadwick[/b] to fetch her nephew from Battle Creek and bring him home. Once here I am to take up a full time position as [b]Mr Lee-Chadwick's[/b] personal nurse and attendant."[/color] From the way his eyes flicker briefly you can tell that he is happy with the situation surrounding his charge, despite the somewhat overbearing attendance of a young glamorous looking female. He takes a long pull from the soda that isn't soda, and nods towrds them. [color=#0040FF]"Say pal, do you know who the dame is?"[/color] You glance towards the female. Of course you've been around the Chadwick household enough to recognise [b]Tilda Smith-Chadwick,[/b] the spoilt and illmannered niece of Regina Chadwick. As you look you notice the familiar figure of [b]Nelson Myers[/b], [b]Mrs Chadwick's[/b] buisness guru, approaching the girl.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:49 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman goes to the library to wait. He looks to see what volumes may have been bought recently and what treasures the collection might hold.

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 pm
by Priest
Professor Theodore Krugman (PatGrillo),[center][img]http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/priest_019/RPG%20Stuff/RPG3/chadwicklibrary_zps3e28f093.jpg[/img][/center] [i]The library is a beautiful room with tasteful furniture, decorated in oak and mahogany with soft lighting. There are two comfortable-looking leather chairs, a small couch before a coffee table, several hanging ferns that all seem to need attending, a small conference table with chairs and coffee service on a long silver salver, and several portraits. Steam and the smell of fresh coffee indicate that the service is full. On a small table at the end of the sofa is an antique globe of inestimable value while on a table on the opposite is an artfully rendered bust of some noble figure. There are several bookshelves with scores of handsome volumes. An oversized bay window looks out onto the [b]Chadwick’s[/b] estate. You feel a slight chill from the window, and suspect that snow is likely in the next few hours.[/i] The library is empty of people so you get a chance to look around, and, if you so desire, help yourself to a cup of coffee. Please make a, [b]Library Use roll[/b] and a [b]Spot Hidden (+10%) roll[/b].
As time passes the Chadwick's buisness manager, Nelson Myers, will make his way to each one of you and inform you that Mrs Chadwick would like you to wait for her in the library as she wishes to speak with you concerning a private matter.
The library is a beautiful room with tasteful furniture, decorated in oak and mahogany with soft lighting. There are two comfortable-looking leather chairs, a small couch before a coffee table, several hanging ferns that all seem to need attending, a small conference table with chairs and coffee service on a long silver salver, and several portraits.
Steam and the smell of fresh coffee indicate that the service is full. On a small table at the end of the sofa is an antique globe of inestimable value while on a table on the opposite is an artfully rendered bust of some noble figure. There are several bookshelves with scores of handsome volumes.
An oversized bay window looks out onto the Chadwick’s estate. You feel a slight chill from the window, and suspect that snow is likely in the next few hours.

Currently the room is occupied by a solitary figure, who some of you may recognise. Although dressed in a rather smart looking tuxedo, there is something about the way he wears it that tells of his not being overly comfortable dressed thus. He looks at home in this room as if suited to a life of academia.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:13 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman looks around the library and wonders why anyone would be so foolish as to keep ferns, which need a humid atmosphere, in a library which needs a dry one for the best preservation of its volumes. Library use 60% and Spot Hidden 60%+10%.

1d100=44, 1d100=3

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony makes his way to the library, nodding to the man who is already here.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:26 am
by Priest
Professor Theodore Krugman (PatGrillo),Subjecting the libraries collection to the critical gaze of an academic, you note that the vast majority of books are those that you would expect to find in any fashionable houses collection. Mostly the usual mix of tasteful, if somewhat pedestrian, classics. All of the 'greats' of classic literature are represented, [b]Ovid[/b], [b]Homer[/b], [b]Shakespeare[/b] and [b]Milton[/b], and at least a select sample of other 'classics' in almost identical bindings. The entire collection seems to have been gathered in an attempt to grant a veneer of class, that has more to do with family wealth than age. However, as you peruse a limited edition of a shakespeare with a price tag of several years income for an academic professional, you chance to notice a small, unassuming collection of titles gathered on a small shelf, partialy obscured by one of the dreaded ferns. Although the not startling or world shattering the titles of the books gathered here do give some hope for further investigation. You see, [i]The Book of Black Magic and of Pacts [/i]([b]Arthur Edward Waite[/b], 1898, London), [i]The Golden Bough[/i] (second edition in three volumes, [b]Sir George Frazier[/b], 1900, London), [i]Myths and Legends of Japan[/i] ([b]F. Hadland Davis[/b], 1912) and [i]Occultism and Atavistic Religion [/i][b](Fr. Francis D. Imony, SJ,[/b] 1st American Edition, 1878, Chicago). As you digest these titles, you hear someone enter the room behind you.
Tony Esposito (Mr. Handy),The occupant of the room appears to be studying some of the books on one of the libraries lower shelves. Please make a [b]Library Use[/b] roll.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:36 pm
by Cearlan
Tilda Smith-Chadwick

As the boorish business manager infers that I should head towards the library, I seek directions, despite having a rough idea of the layout of the house, just to confirm. I head there forthwith as the crowd seems to be thinning out, presumably already in the library. I nod and say, "I'll be there in a moment Mr Myers."

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:28 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman turns to acknowledge the new arrival. If it is not yet his host he will spend a few moments flicking through Myths and Legends of Japan.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson

"That's great, Oh I see you have a good eye. I could possibly arrange and introduction. So Mr. Lee Chadwick doesn't look so good, what's wrong with him that he needs a personal nurse?"

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whatcha lookin' at there?" asks Tony curiously, scanning the titles of the books. He almost doesn't see it, but something just catches his interest.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 am
by kabukiman
Francis takes a drink from the "soda". Then he looks at what everyone is doing.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:07 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson (Ben),As you talk to the attendant, whos name is [b]Mitchell Fry[/b] according to a name tag pinned to his jacket, you are aware that [b]Nelson Myers[/b] Having spoken to [b]Tilda[/b], and another unidentified female near her, is moving towards you. From his expression it is clear he wants to speak with you. [b]Mitchell Fry[/b], still looking appreciatively at [b]Tilda[/b], grunts, "[color=#0040FF]I don't know much about him, as I said I was merely hired to pick him up, bring him home and look after him. However..."[/color] he drags his gaze away from [b]Tilda [/b]and winks conspiratorialy at you, [color=#0040FF]"I hear that he had been brought back from someplace in India in a straightjacket, and that he mumbles in his sleep about an unknowable darkness and keeps calling out for someone called [b]Veronica[/b]"[/color] As [b]Myers[/b] closes he moves off toward Edgar. It seems that [b]Mrs Chadwick[/b] wishes you to meet her in the library, she may have a job for you.
Tony Esposito (Mr. H),At your entry the rooms occupant half turns, looks at you in something that looks like minor disapointment then returns to the study of a book that he has removed from a lower shelf. With difficulty you can see part of a title,[i] '....and Legends of...'[/i]
Professor Theodore Krugman (Pat),Momentarilly distracted from the book by the arrival of another person,your attention is caught by one of the books on this shelf seemingly out of position as if recently taken out and replaced in another position. [i]Occultism and Atavistic Religion[/i] ([b]Fr. Francis D. Imony, SJ[/b], 1st American Edition, 1878, Chicago), a standard work and of little intrinsic value, you note that pages have been turned down at the corner. Pages that have been roughly annotated in the marginalia, amongst which in a rough hand has been noted, in a section concerned with primitive ritual sacrifice, the following; "Possible Burma connection (Cho Cho?)". Please make another [b]Library Use[/b] roll
Everyone,
The library, as described, is a well furnished room filled with an assortment of books and odd pieces of art. You are all free to make Library Use rolls if you haven't already done so.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:31 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: " That? Myths and Legends of Japan - a good general read no doubt, but this one looks most unusual, Occultism and Atavistic Religion, Imony, it's a standard work but look here! He points to pages that have been turned down at the corner. Pages that have been roughly annotated in the marginalia, amongst which in a rough hand has been noted, in a section concerned with primitive ritual sacrifice, the following;
"Possible Burma connection (Cho Cho?)".

He wonders what it might mean. [Another Library roll] 1d100=89

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:22 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson

"Guess that introduction will have to wait, sorry about that, but duty calls. Good luck." And Ted moves on to the library.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Never heard of that before," says Tony, eyeing the book, "but it does look interesting. Whoever made the notes in the margins would know more."

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 am
by Cearlan
Tilda Smith-Chadwick

As I enter the library I note straight away the humid atmosphere ... 'It must be all these people gathered in such a small space,' I wonder to myself.

I quickly look around the room and see who is there ... 'the same old boring people' I sigh to myself. I absently scan the bookshelves as I move around the room.
OOC:   I don't have a library use skill noted so I'll assume it's the base of 25% (6th Ed) - if not please feel free to amend as needed.  
[dice]0[/dice] but don't seem to notice anything worth getting excited about - 'Ye gods but this is so drab!'

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 pm
by Priest
Bridget Barrett, enters the library and glances around, taking in the collection of books and people gathering. She notices that awful Tilda Smith-Chadwick girl.
Bridgett Barrett thinking:   So it seems whatever [b]Mrs Chadwick[/b] has to say, it concerns the obviously useless addition to her family.  
Sipping from her tea cup, she continues to look around with the attention to detail so necessary in her business.
Library Use,35% 1d100 → [23] = (23) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4530858/
She notices that the academic looking gentleman, she thinks his name Krugman, is studying a book that he has taken from a lower shelf of the library. Looking around she sees something that looks out of place. A slim book that has been pushed between two of the volumes of an out of date set of encyclopedias.
Reaching up she removes the book, looks at its title, A Dream of Japan (unattributed author, translated by Martin
L. Brookman
, 1924, London). and flicks it open to reveal a handwritten dedication.
“To my little Ronnie Mouse: all the best, Eddie.”

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:51 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Found something interesting there Miss?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:40 pm
by Priest
Bridget Barrett turns to the speaker and holds out her hand, "Ah Professor Krugman, I recognised you from a series of lectures you gave concerning the subject of parapsychology. I was covering it for an item for the Eagle, an item I hasten to add which was later cut from the paper."
She holds up the slim volume, open at the title page with its scribbled sentiment.
"Bridget Barret of the Brooklyn Eagle. I assume everyone is here at the request of Mrs Chadwick?"
she glances around at the assembled people. "So, does anyone know who Ronnie Mouse is? Iassume that Eddie is our hostesses nephew Edgar. And does anyone have any idea why our presence is requested"
At this question she moves her gaze to the figure of Tilda, who seems to be wandering in a bored fashion around the room.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ronnie Mouse can only be Veronica Chadwick, Miss Barrett," says Tony with a ready grin, glad for his knowledge of the family. "It's Edgar's little nickname for her. I'm Tony Esposito. I work for the Chadwick family, but I don't yet know why they called us here."

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:15 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson

Ted walks into the room and notices the large crowd. What the hell are all these people here? does she want me to babysit or work?
He scans the room at the faces, nodding to anyone that bothers to look at him. Ted notices people helping themselves to Ms. Chadwick's books. Well it is a library after all.
library use,target = 45 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:15 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Indeed, and no. And to you Sir, also no. It is indeed a mystery, but I suspect that mysteries are her stock-in-trade.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:09 pm
by Priest
Bridget Barrett turns to the big guy, Tony Esposito, "Hmm... you’re probably right. Looks like a kid's book of bedtime stories, but not the kind of stories I'd want my kids reading before bed". She grins and colours slightly, "If I had any that is"
She flicks open a page at random. "This story deals with something called a Yurei, ghosts in white robes with long tangled hair. Whom, it would appear, sometimes harm and other times aid”
She turns a few more pages, studies and then, “And here it talks of the Hitodama, mischievous ‘soul’ lights that draw unwary travellers astray in the deep forest”
She holds up the book so that all can view the illustrations. The Yurei, in particular, look very unappealing in their long white robes hair tangled and windswept all teeth and long, sharp fingernails. To the casual observer they seem the perfect creature to inflict the most awful nightmares on a young child.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:59 am
by Cearlan
Tilda Smith-Chadwick

I notice the cool gaze of the young reporter ... what's her name now ... Bridget something or other. I suppose I had better start to talk to someone, and her and the old man and the big chap - they look as good a trio as any other. I walk over to where they are in conversation and just catch the tail end of it as Bridget show the picture of the Yurei round the small group.

"Absolutely ghastly dah-ling ... the Japanese are so lurid in their legends."

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"That Hitodama reminds me of Will o' the Wisps," says Tony. "Funny that Japan has a similar legend. Maybe there's a kernel of truth behind it."

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: And the Yurei are bogey men. All systems of folklore have them. They appeal to our primal instincts, or need to be afraid, our titillation of the prospect of terror. But that of course does not mean that there are not real terrors out there...

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:31 am
by kabukiman
Francis is getting even more bored in teh room, drinking. Where is everyone anyway?

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:01 am
by Priest
Kabukiman,My apologies I assumed that you would realise that you had also been included in the Chadwick's request to go to the library. Consider that E. Francis Hardy is in the library with the others and has heard the description of the book by Bridgett and can see the illustrations. Moral to this interlude is 'never assume' - my bad. Please make an [b]Occult Roll[/b]
At this point the doors to the library open and Regina Chadwick accompanied by the portly figure of Nelson Myers enter. She glances around in that familiar way that the rich have of observing lesser beings.
Having acertained the presence of all six invited she speaks in the clipped accent of East Coast society, "I want to thank you all, personally, for coming. I realize that tonight has been a bit… well, uncomfortable. But you must see that I couldn’t just let dear Edgar rot away in that awful place. Why, they treated him like some vulgar convict, believe you me. It was no place for a poor, damaged, sensitive soul like my nephew." She pauses, as if awaiting interuption but not wanting any, to grasp a breath.

"To the point then. Some of you do not know my niece, Veronica. She is such a special girl, so full of promise, so
lively. Until… well, she’s been away at college, at that awful university she had her heart set on in Arkham."

She almost spits the name of Arkham in an apparent show of disgust. A successful roll of Psychology (-10) will reveal a shadow of truth behind her display, that being more one of fear than disgust.

“Well, just two weeks ago I received this horrible letter from her. This, from such a lovely girl, a girl who was as dear to me as if she were my own. I cannot bear to read it aloud. Mister Myers, if you please?”
Myers steps forward, clears his throat and reads the letter. You can tell by the way Regina Chadwick turns away that its contents upset her greatly. After he has finished reading he passes the letter amongst you so you can read it for your selves.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:09 pm
by kabukiman
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4532907/

OOC: No, it was my fault, I reread everything now, and saw that somehow I missed that I should have go to the library.

Francis is surprised by the letter. Is madness a problem in the family? Or is it something else?

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:42 pm
by Priest
E. Francis Hardy (kabukiman),The description and the illustrations in the book that the reporter lady is brandishing, are nothing new to you. You have come across these before in your researches for ideas. Whatever is going on here, and the strange letter confirms it, might be the basis for the book to turn your fortunes around.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:49 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson

Ted speaks for the first time, "Sounds to me as though your niece has fallen into the wrong crowd. Did you want me to fetch her home for you?"
Meanwhile thinking about all the talk before this, "Poppycock to the lot of it. Nothing but stories to frighten children into behaving. Parents that would use a story when a good leather belt will do the trick just fine."

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:34 pm
by Priest
Regina Chadwick smiles at the detective, "Ah Mr Nelson, I am pleased you came we could use your skills in this."
She opens a silver box on the table containing the coffee pot and takes out a cigarette which she proceeds to fit into a long, elegant holder, "When the letter arrived four days ago I wasted no time in trying to contact Veronica. However I was unable to get any reply to my attempts. Frustrated by her uncharacteristic behaviour, not to say the strangeness of the letter, I had Myers go out to the university to check on her" She pauses puts the cigarette holder to her lips and watches as Myers, having produced an expensive looking lighter, lights it. She inhales then exhales a thin stream of tobacco smoke.
"He discovered that she had ceased attending her classes some two weeks ago and had been missing from her lodgings all that time. Although neither his or my subsequent investigations were able to uncover anything of value, I have a feeling, call it intuition if you like, that she has indeed fallen in with the 'wrong crowd' as you so eloquently put it, or I fear a cult of some sort"

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:58 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson

"A cult I have no doubt is behind it Ms. Chadwick." Ted stops for a second to light his own cigarette and continues, "Nothing but covers for fraud, crime and the 'medium racket'". Using his fingers to quote and emphasize the latter. "Why you have to look no further than Mr. Houdini's book from a couple years back, 'A Magician among the Spiritualists' to know what a fraud that is. I suspect she has moved into a house with a dozen other followers, and are trying to con someone somewhere. It shouldn't be that difficult to find her."
Ted inhales deeply on his cig and blows a smoke ring, "but like with all cases the warmer the trail, the easier it is to follow."

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:52 am
by Cearlan
Tilda Smith-Chadwick

"I find this totally at odds with the girl I know and love. I know that people change in the passage of their lives, but to effect such a radical change over such a short period of time is remarkable. However I think it may be prudent to not jump to too many conclusions at this point. You say she has been missing form her lodgings and classes for a couple of weeks Aunt Regina. Now whilst I agree that she could have fallen in with the wrong crowd, as ... Mr Nelson is it? Yes, as Mr Nelson states, there is little actual proof that this is the case in reality. Veronica was always such a sweet girl who could brighten any room simply by entering through the doorway. Let us not assume the worst just yet. Talk of cults and so on may be premature given we actually know very little."

I surprise myself at the speech I have just made ... certainly nothing like I expected. Now this is a turn up for the books and no mistake. I read the letter again to try and make some sense of it but if there is any sense in the words, they elude me.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony frowns and has a sorrowful expression when he hears the letter read out loud. "You're absolutely right," he says to Tilda. "This certainly doesn't sound like the Veronica I know. Can we be sure she even wrote the letter?" When it's his turn to examine it, he inspects the handwriting carefully. "Even if she did, she could have done so under duress. If she was kidnapped that could also explain this - though I'd have expected a ransom demand rather than this letter in that case." He looks at Regina, his jaw set in firm determination. "In any event, you can count on me, Mrs. Chadiwck. I'll find Veronica and bring her back even if I have to go to the ends of the Earth."

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:54 am
by kabukiman
-The first place to discover something, would be in the university and speak with her collegues. Someone must know something, at least who se was talking with- says Francis.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:02 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: It sounds to me that she may have become a little too engrossed in her studies. I've seen that in my own students from time to time. On what course was she enrolled Madam?

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:14 am
by Priest
Regina Chadwick nods, and it seems her whole mood brightens a little as if a dark shadow had been lifted from her shoulders,
"The University at Arkham" again she spits the name, "Has been on many occasions linked with strange and bizarre groups. It has a reputation for odd occurences, but I am sure you are more than aware of this" She looks pointedly at the professor, "Her studies were English Composition and Geometry, so there is no reason for her to have become involved in any of the Universities less savoury activities"

She takes a final draw on her cigarette before pinching the but from her holder and putting it into a large crystal glass ashtray on the same table as the coffee pot, "As my other niece, Tilda, points out the letter shows a turn of behaviour most unusual and unlike that displayed by Veronica"

She turns to Francis and smiles, before returning to her all inclusive gaze, "My thoughts precisely, Myers here made some enquiries but they uncovered nothing of use. What I want is to engage all of your services to find my niece and return her home to her family. Myers will fill in any details and deal with any financial requirements."

She walks toward the doors, "Of course you will receive suitable recompense for your time and effort. Again Myers will deal with that, in the mean time thankyou, please feel free to return to the party and enjoy yourselves"

With that she exits the room. Leaving the six of you and Nelson Myers, the estate buisness manager.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:43 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Hmmm... English Composition and Geometry... doesn't sound too dangerous. Mind you, a nasty slip with a compass! Ho, never mind just my little joke you know. Mr. Myers I didn't wish to ask this in front of the young lady's aunt for fear of appearing indelicate, but was there by any chance, at the University, a young man for whom she had formed an affection? Often the way you know since gals were allowed into our universities. Causes all sorts of trouble.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:34 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson

Great I do get to babysit a bunch of PI wannabes, well a job is a job. Ted thinks to himself.
"I think we should start with her roommate if she had one, close friends, especially a bo, then any clubs or groups she belonged to, followed by classmates and finally her professors. There will be a lot of interviews to do. So Nelson, can you help us out with any names or notes that were gathered from the previous investigations?" Ted asks, inhaling some more smoke from his cigarette.
Then to the whole group, "My name's Ted, PI by trade. I recommend we head to this Arkham U, first light tomorrow. Any other suggestions."

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:00 pm
by Priest
Having watched his employer leave the room, Nelson Myers turns to face the group and answer as best he can any of their questions.
Nelson Myers thinking:   Ah the ex cop turned PI, cant see what [b]Mrs Chadwick[/b] expects from him, but it's her money  
He smiles at the professor's question, and the delicate way he puts it, "Nah, she seemed to have little truck with guys. Her roomee said she couldn't ever remember seeing Ronnie with a boy"

"She was staying at a boarding house, one that caters to the university" He retrieves a scrap of paper from his vest pocket, looks at it, "Place run by a Miss Hickman, seems okay bit of a lush but runs a nice place. I have the address here" he hands the paper to Ted Nelson.
"There wasn't much to see, she shared an apartment with another student girl by the name of Paula Deveroux also a student at the Miskatonic. Mrs Chadwick authorised me to settle any expenses encured by yourselves in the pursuit of her niece. Within acceptable limits of course. She also authorised me to give each of you a pay check for two hundred dollars, and inform you that a bonus will be forthcoming once the girl is home."

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"There actually are some links between geometry and the occult," says Tony to the professor. "Some of those ancient Greeks were into some weird things. Math was never my strong suit, though."

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:31 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Geometry and the occult? Well yes, I suppose one could construe a connection. But let us not leap to conclusions, especially such unlikely ones. What about transport? Who deals with such things? Is there a train, or shall we have use of an automobile? And what of the young man, while we have him here, has anyone tried questioning the poor fellow? There is a chance you know that whatever has disturbed his mind is at work also in the even more vulnerable mind of his female relative!

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I haven't got a car," says Tony, "but I'm pretty sure the train goes to Arkham. Although if one or more of the rest of you have some wheels, it may be a good idea to take them. That'll help us get around town faster than walking. And yeah, we should definitely try to get through to Edgar while we're still here."

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 am
by kabukiman
Francis-If she cared so much of the occult, maybe she spent some time in the library? We should go there to see what kind of book she read.

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:31 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"We can try talking to the nephew, but it didn't look like you were going to get much out of him? Curious, what connection do you see between the two anyway? He was locked up when Veronica dissappeared."

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:14 pm
by Priest
Myers watches you all with interest,
"Mrs Chadwick authorised me to give you full use of one of her cars" he looks toward Tony Esposito, "The Ford, Tony. I think it will suffice. Now if you have no further questions for me, I will return to the party"
As he leaves he turns towards Tilda with a little smile, "I think it best if you allow Tony to be responsible for the car, after your last incident"

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Myers," says Tony. "The Ford is a very reliable car, and will serve us well." After Myers leaves, he faces the others. "Edgar knows Veronica quite well, and he may have some sort of insight as to her mental state, especially considering his own. It's possible that he was the one who started her down this road, even without meaning to. He did give her that book about Japanese mythology."

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:23 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Ok, maybe I missed something. What book? I didn't hear anything about a book?" Ted asks.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"We were looking at it before you came in," says Tony, showing him the book. "It's called A Dream of Japan, and Edgar wrote a dedication to Veronica inside it."

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:51 am
by kabukiman
Francis

-And if one of us start reading this book? So we may have clue of what it is about?

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:34 pm
by Cearlan
"My last ... my last incident was a momentary lapse of concentration. That awful hick farmer came round the corner on his tractor far too fast which caused me to swerve."
  I look abashed as even in my eyes the story would not hold up to scrutiny but there were more pressing issues ... the book now - what was the key in the book? And what did the soak Edgar really know.  

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:14 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"I doubt very seriously a childs book about Japanese monsters given to Veronica years ago, has anything to do with her disappearance. Can we stick to some real investigative work people?"
Ted is thinking to himself, "great, not only am I babysitting, its for a bunch of kids with paranoid delusions."

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"I just thought it may have led to Veronica's sudden interest in the bizarre," says Tony. "Nothing else in her background so much as hints at it."

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman goes back to the party and waits for a moment when the invalid is alone: (speaking quietly): Young Man, what do you know about Japanese monsters?

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:42 am
by kabukiman
Francis:
-But can I take the book anyway to take a look at it?

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:41 pm
by Priest
Professor Krugman (Pat),[ic-quote=Professor Krugman]Young Man, what do you know about Japanese monsters?[/ic-quote] At your question, [b]Edgar's[/b] seemingly lifless eyes blaze with a look somewhere between horror and fear. With a blood curdling shriek of despair, he leaps from the wheelchair and flees the room with the attendant and his aunt in hot pursuit. Suddenly the room falls quiet even the umpteenth rendition of 'When the saints' dies away in a tangle of discordant notes. You become aware that you have become the center of attention...
Bridget Barrett turns to the writer, "Here if you think it will be of any help, it's all yours" She hands the book to Francis open on the title page with its handwritten sentiment.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"We might want to show the book to Edgar," says Tony, "see how he reacts to it and what he can tell us about it."

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:22 am
by kabukiman
- I don't know if it's a good idea. I doubt he is condition to help us and he can be disturbed.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Oh dear! I appear to have alarmed the young gentleman. Whatever could I have said?

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:35 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted checks the inscription to see what was written, then hearing the commotion, "What the hell happened out there?"

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:39 pm
by Priest
Professor Krugman (Pat),There is no reply, just looks which seem to vary from a mild interest to a scrutiny that one would reserve for a microscope subject. As you look around you in mock suprise[b] Nelson Myers[/b] approaches with a concerned look on his face, [color=#0040FF]"Oh dear that could have gone better I think"[/color] he sips from his tea cup before adding, [color=#0040FF]"I think you just killed the party"[/color]...
Ted Nelson (Ben) and those still in the library,
The inscription reads simply, “To my little Ronnie Mouse: all the best, Eddie.”
The sudden commotion in the ballroom is followed by a strangled silence, even the band has come to a crashing halt. It seems the saints are no longer marching in.
The silence is abruptly broken by muffled voices. You just manage to catch someone saying.
"I think you just killed the party"

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony heads out into the hall and back towards the ballroom to see what the commotion is.

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:46 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman returns to the others: Well... Japanese monsters are definitely the key here. The young man's reaction was NOT that of one who has been reading children's stories. I suspect that the young woman has become interested in whatever he became involved with, and that she in in danger of becoming just like him - Raving Mad!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:57 pm
by Priest
It seems from the subdued noise in the ballroom, that the party is over. The band, instruments still in hand, look around in a confused manner as if waiting for instructions. Eventually the leader, Duke Ellington, closes his piano and with a shake of the head begins to help his band to pack away their instruments.
People get their coats and take their leave. Of Mrs Chadwick and her nephew there is no sign, it seems it is left to Myers to say the farewells.
Eventualy the only remaining guests are the six of you. Myers, standing in the doorway of the house, nods a goodnight,
"The car will be waiting for you in the morning, Tony,"
As he politely ushers you out of the house he adds, "Good luck with your search. I hope you find her and bring her quickly home. Oh and do try and bring the car back in one piece" he makes no indication, but it is obvious who the final sentence is intended for.
OOC:   The story continues in Scene two - Veronica's flat viewtopic.php?f=306&t=5143. However I shall leave this part open for a while so that any further questions to Nelson Myers can be dealt with  

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:52 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Great, this got off to a swimming start. What the hell is this guy thinking??" Ted murmurs to himself.
Ted begins to clap slow and loud after the professor's proclamation. "Well, looks like Sherlock here has solved the mystery with a one sentence inscription in a book she didn't bother take with her and a scream from someone straight out of the asylum." The sarcasm is pretty thick and obvious. "We might as well skip any real investigative work and buy tickets to Tokyo." Looking over at Myers, "Not sure we will be needing the car, just a cab ride to the airport. Professor Holmes has solved the case."
Then in a more serious voice looking at Krugman, "What the hell did you expect? He probably just screamed at your ..." And he trails off shaking his head, obviously upset at what the professor did.
"Myers, please thank Mrs. Chadwick for a lovely evening and our apologies for the" Ted pauses for a second, "abrupt ending."
Ted puts on his jacket and hat to leave. As he goes, he looks back one more time at Myers. "Good night sir, and don't worry, I'll bring her home."