Page 1 of 1

Scene Six: Naushau Village

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:09 pm
by Priest
Scene Six: Naushau Village

Your taxi journey from the tavern to the central railway station is uneventful.
The interior of Mito is less industrialized than the ports, but you see signs of new construction in several places. The buildings of the city are small and spaced very close together. Strange scents and sights are everywhere you turn. The people on the streets all seem somehow very alien and distant from you. Many stare at you, and you feel more than a little hostility in their gazes. The streets are narrow, the traffic mostly uncontrolled and it seems that urban development is turning the city into some hybrid of the western ideal and its resistant Japanese counterpart.

It is a nine hour journey to the last stop on the Joban railway. And from there a four hour bus ride to Nashau itself. Both the train and the bus are cramped and the passengers universally unfriendly they make no effort to engage in conversation. Even Paul with his knowledge of Japanese is unable to strike up any conversation. On top of everything it stated to drizzle with rain. A typical Autumn rain that keeps everything constantly wet. It is in all a thouroughly horrible journey not the kind of exotic Asaian trip the brochures would have you believe.
Luckily by the time you arrive in the village it has stopped raining and the night has turned warm and the sun has come out.

You step off the bus, look up and your heart leaps: there in the distance is the iconic Mt. Fuji, somehow more majestic and powerful than the pictures you have seen. It looks down on the whole valley. At its base you see a wide forest, so green and regular that its tree line reminds you of a carpet.
Before you stands Naushua village. Unlike much of the country that you have seen, Naushua seems to belong to the past. The architecture seems quaint and somehow sinister to your eye. The town is smallish and you see very few automobiles or “modern” buildings.

Re: Scene Six: Naushau Village

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's see if there's an inn or something," says Tony. "Not only do we need a place to stay, but it's also possible that Veronica has been there."

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:47 am
by DrVendetta
Paul walking behind Tony asks "So why do you thinkt the govenrment would be interested in us coming here? Are you sure no one else new that you were looking for Veronica?"

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe they're interested in all foreign visitors, like she said," says Tony. "I don't know who else knows we're looking for Veronica, but she could have attracted attention during the time since she arrived."

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:27 am
by BenTheRat
Ted looks around the village. "Do they even know what a hotel is here? To be honest I don't care who knows we are looking for her, as long as we find her."

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:26 pm
by Priest
The village is everything you imagine a Japanese village to look like, cherry trees abound and pretty wooden buildings are spread about in a random pattern, It is totally unlike anything you have experienced back home.
There are various buildings with signs, in Japanese of course, that look like hotels, and eating houses and Paul quite happily translates.
Wherever you go you are met with a mixture of curiosity and downright hostility. None of the hotels seem to have vacancies, and the restaurants, despite being almost empty, have no tables available. And whoever you show the photo to seems to have no knowledge of Veronica.
Everywhere you go you are met by a shaking head, a pointing finger towards a building on the forest edge of the village, and a cry of “Naushua Ryokan”

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:42 am
by DrVendetta
Paul looks around the town taking in the signage for anything useful.
Priest,so what does Naushua Ryokan mean?

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: "What a curious place! “Naushua Ryokan” they seem to be saying. Any idea what it means?

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:57 am
by BenTheRat
"And they were saying I was rude?" Ted said

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Paul might know," says Tony. "All I can figure out is that they mean that building over there. I guess we'd better go there."

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:13 pm
by Priest
The words "Naushau Ryokan" mean nothing to Paul. But even though the locals appear to speak a slightly different dialect to that spoken by Paul, this can be seen by the way they grimace, shake their heads, and misunderstand frequently) it is obvious that this 'Nashau Ryokan' is a tall three story building set at the edge of the village where the forest begins.

Naushau Ryokan
This is a three-story building with lacquered red doors. The place seems a bit run down, and the dusty yard is full of weeds. While some of the village has electricity, this street does not. Nevertheless, an electric sign in English, advertising a popular brand of cola, hangs inert in the front window

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:55 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson,

"Well a cool soda sounds good right now," and he heads towards the Naushau Ryokan.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:03 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget looks the slightly delapidated building over with no small trace of skepticism. She stands slightly apart from the rest of the group and tries to take in any relevant details.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden - 50% - 1d100 - [41] = (41) Success
"What is this place I wonder?" she asks as she approaches the front entrance, "Maybe some sort of hostel for foreign tourists? But in such a remote village?"

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 pm
by DrVendetta
Paul speaks up "I have never heard those words before in Japanse so I do not know what they mean. I am not familiar with any type of 'special' place for housing foriegn nationals in any of the passages that I have booked to Japan before."

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:42 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: "It looks a little dilapidated, and any accommodation will probably be insanitary. But, 'when in Rome...'"

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Strange to see a sign in English all the way out here," says Tony. "I'd have thought Veronica was the first American to come here in years. Tourists don't usually come here."

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:36 pm
by Priest
Bridget Barrett (jb),There is nothing to be seen that marks this building out from any of the others you have seen in the village.
Opening the red painted front door, an action that makes the sign in both Japanese and English advertising ‘vacancies’, dance like a wild thing on its chain, you are immediately struck by the décor, a kind of mix and match Japanese and American.
From the ceiling, so low as to almost strike your heads as you pass, hang lanterns shaded by rice paper shades that depict simple Japanese agricultural scenes.
Once through the door you find a small lobby area with a small counter that seems to be both bar and service counter.

Swinging on a chain above the counter is a handwritten sign in both English and Japanese: “Luggage left over 90 days becomes property of the management, no exceptions”.
To the left of this ‘bar’ is a rounded doorway hung with a bead curtain. Beyond it you can see a dining room, within there are six tables hung with white cloths, and a pair of swinging doors, partially ajar, that lead to a shadowed staircase.
Standing behind the counter is a Caucasian man wearing a decidedly American jersey. He smiles as you enter, “Welcome to the Naushau Ryokan, an oasis of normality in an otherwise non-normal society” Before you have a chance to speak he produces several shot glasses and a bottle of bourbon, “Whisky? Or would you prefer some of the local rice wine” the way he spits ‘local’ shows his attitude toward the Japanese people.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:47 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Now this is hospitality, whiskey is just fine thank you." Ted finally feels comfortable for the first time since stepping onto that boat.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget politely waves off the offer of spirits and examines her surroundings curiously before offering their host an inquisitive look.

"Bridget Barrett." she says by way of introduction, "Is this your hote...restaur...err...establishment?"

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Tony Esposito," says Tony with a grin, offering his hand for a shake. "Thanks, I'll take you up on that whiskey! I've already tried saki."

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:28 pm
by Priest
The American, at least you presume he’s American from the much worn college football jersey he wears, reaches over and shakes Tony’s offered hand, James Axelby at your service”.
As soon as he speaks you realize that the only thing American about him is the jersey, he speaks with a British accent.
“Whisky, good choice a proper blokes drink unlike the rice water the nips produce”
He proceeds to pour out generous measures of the amber fluid, and pushes the glasses across the stained and scarred counter towards you.
“Good to see westerners…Americans I guess?” he eyes your clothing, “We don’t get many visitors here…and them we do don’t stay long”
He turns to Bridget, “Yeah I’m the owner alright. Won this place in a poker game” he looks around at the lobby, “Now all I need is to find a buyer and I can leave this land of never-never and return to dear old Blighty, Liverpool to be precise”

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers!" says Tony, raising his glass in a salute before knocking it back. "Speaking of visitors, we're looking for a friend of ours named Veronica Chadwick. She would have arrived about five days ago." He shows James the photo.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:58 pm
by Priest
Axelby picks up the photo and looks at it, “Sure, Miss Chadwick. She booked a room for a week stayed one night. Went off the next day without her luggage”
He places the photo back on the counter and slides it back to Tony.
“Pity, nice looking girl. Bit strange though, but then aint they all?”
With that he pulls a glass from below the counter, breathes on it and wipes it with a cloth before pouring himself a more than generous amount from a bottle marked with several Japanese letters.
Paul Wellington,(Dr V), The letters spell out a brand name, one you've never heard of.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Do you still have her luggage?" asks Tony.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:07 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"So was that about 5 days ago?" Ted asks. "Do you remember if she said where she was heading?"

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:05 pm
by Priest
Axelby looks up at Tony, “Sure I still have her luggage. See the sign? If it’s still here after 90 days then the management, me, reserves the rights to ownership”
He reaches beneath the counter produces a pack of Japanese cigarettes, takes one and lights it. “Nip fags, taste like perfumed shit, but there’s little choice” he indicates the open pack, “Help yourselves, unless you have something better”
As Ben Nelson speaks, Axelby blows a thin stream of tobacco smoke upwards to the ceiling where a fan hiccups through its revolutions.
“Yeah five days ago. She left with Ferret, the Aussie who styles himself as a guide,. Where was she heading? Where they all go I guess - to the forest.”
He takes another drag on the cigarette, realizing he has your attention, he continues, “All of the westerners who come here stay at my place, then go up to the forest and that’s that. The locals say that there are demons that live in the woods, and that they call to people from all over the world to come to the forest, but once they actually get there the demons make them kill themselves. It’s rubbish, of course, the kind of thing these heathens all believe. But it’s true that people kill themselves in the forest - every year they find bodies up in the trees - every year dozens, some years hundreds of bodies. The local authorities try to downplay it, of course, but everybody in this stinking place knows all about it. Your girl…” he nods at the photo of Veronica, “…came here and I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but she either up and done for herself out there in the green, or she’s wandering around waiting for the mood to strike before she does and no mistake. If you don’t believe me you should check out my luggage room. I got a room full of luggage that people left. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff folks have left. Anyway, I never go in the forest and you shouldn’t either. People get lost too, every year. Compasses don’t work none, and there are paths that just take you round and round in circles”

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I believe you," says Tony, "but I wouldn't mind a look at the luggage room all the same. We'd also like to talk to Ferret. Maybe he can take us where he took Veronica. We might still catch up with her before it's too late."

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:37 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted pulls out a pack of American Cigarettes, "maybe these will taste a bit better." He takes out one and slides the pack across the counter, then lights up. "So you said she rented a room, can we take a quick look in there, it might give us a clue as to where she was headed. And where can we find Ferret, I think it would be worth it to hire him."

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:31 pm
by Priest
(posted in the absence of kabukiman)
Francis leans on the counter. All though tired from the journey, Axelby's talk of demons has excited his writers curiosity,
"Demons in the forest? Tell me more...Oh and do you have a beer by chance rather than whiskey or saki?"
Axelby shrugs and pulls a bottle off a shelf behind the counter, "Beer. Well almost its chinese, well technicaly I suppose you'd call it German as it comes from the former colony of Tsingtao. Not the best but okay if your thirsty I guess" he pops the top and pours it into a beerglass. The liquid looks insipid and yellowish with no head to speak of, he pushes the glass towards the writer. "Theres not much to add. Its rubbish anyway nothing but a ghost story to frighten the natives. These superstitious locals will believe anything, after all they think the bloody emperors divine"

He turns to Tony, "Sure you can look at her luggage if you like. The Ferret comes and goes, but if I see him I'll tell him you would like a word with him"

He looks at Ted and notes his almost empty glass, "Another? Yeah you're welcome to have a look in the room, but it has been cleaned out so I doubt you'll find anything in there."
Looking the group up and down, he asks, "So why the interest? And I take it you'll all be requiring rooms. I can fit you all in, but some of you will have to double up so as the lady can have a room to herself. I charge a nominal fee for the rooms of 10¥ per night and if you want me to store your luggage that costs another 1¥ a day. Of course the usual rule applies any luggage left unclaimed after 90 days etc"

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Like I said, we're friends of Veronica's," explains Tooy. "In the last few weeks, she's been acting very strangely, sending letters to her family cutting off all ties, and we're worried about her. From what you've just told us, it seems we have good reason to worry. We were able to track Veronica's path, and it led us here. And yeah, we'd like some rooms."

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:00 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget listens raptly to their host's recounting of the forest's true forest, her eyes wide and unblinking. It's several minutes before she realizes that she's actively jotting down shorthand in her notebook.

'Cripes! This isn't simply a scoop, this is the story of a lifetime!' she thinks excitedly. Her thoughts turn to the The Eagle[/b] and the cub reporter actively researching Japanese mythology. She'd never considered herself superstitious (long talking-to's and cross pastors during Sunday School in her youth had long since convinced her of her own skepticism) but odds were odds. Whether Axelby preferred to stay comfortably pickled and deny that anything beyond depression and a travel budget was at work, the same explanation wouldn't float for Bridget.

"Sorry for being forward," she says, smiling demurely. "but do you happen to have a telephone that I could call back to the States with? I'd pay you for the charges of course."

She replaces her notepad and drums her fingers excitedly across the bartop.

"And we'll take rooms." she states flatly, popping open her hangbag. "All of us."

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:56 pm
by Priest
Axelby clamps his cigarette between his lips and turns to take a selection of keys from a pegboard on the wall to the right side of the counter. As he does so he slides a registration book across the counter towards you.
"Phone? Yeah there is a phone though you may find the imperial telephone services somewhat limited" he nods at a almost ancient looking unit mounted on the wall near the door.

Handing out keys he nods at Ted and Tony, "Come with me and you can have a look at Miss Chadwicks luggage"...
The room labelled 'Left Luggage' turns out to be little more than a converted broom cupboard on the second floor. Axelby opens it with a key, but the lock looks old and hardly secure. Inside a number of shelves are stacked high with pieces of luggage.
Axelby points at two small valises close to the door, "Your girl, left them you are welcome to take a look but I doubt you'll find anything of interest. Unless your into looking at ladies smalls" with a curt laugh he steps to one side allowing you access.
As he said there is nothing of interest within the cases. However it would seem that her intended stay was not going to be of any length given the amount of clothing contained within.
Ted and Tony,Please make luck Rolls +10%

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:37 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Luck roll,target = 55+10 = 65%, [dice]0[/dice]
Ted snorted at the response that we wanted to look through Veronica's 'smalls.' Like that's what he enjoyed doing or something twisted. But he did stumble on something of interest.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:40 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget gives an appreciatory nod and picks up the phone's receiver in an attempt to reach The Eagle[/b] and see what, if anything, their research staff was able to uncover. She also decides it wouldn't be the world's worst idea, given the forest's ominous reputation, to leave them with the hotel's contact information and Mr. Alexby's name.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony hopes Ted has better luck, as he can't find anything. He takes care to avoid looking at Veronica's undergarments; he thinks of her as a daughter.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:43 am
by DrVendetta
Paul looks around at the other items in the room trying to pick out any luggage labels to see where all of the people may have come from. As he is looking Paul ask "So when was the last time someone came in prior to Veronica? Do these people come at any type of regular intrevals, right before full moons or any other crazy type time?"

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:24 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson (Ben),Amongst the collection of garments you can feel something. To your touch it feels like an arm a child's arm cold and lifeless. With a curse you pull the clothing away from it to uncover...Not a childs arm but that of a doll like the one that you had dreamed of back in Arkham. As you pull, it rises towards you, opens its mouth to reveal long sharp teeth and screams "Beware". [b]Sanity Rol[/b]l please 0/1
Bridget Barrett (jB),
You lift the reciever and after what seems minutes of crackling, a voice speaks in Japanese, "Hai"

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:29 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson,
Ted pulls the doll out of the suitcase and seeing it, he throws it back down into the clothes and slams the lid down. "What the hell damnation is that?"
ooc,not sure if others can see that or not, if not you might want to explain that. And that was luck?? sanity: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:36 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget pinches the bridge of her nose in frustration. Of course. How was she expecting to communicate her intent to the operator? Rookie mistake.
Spoiler:
Luck Roll - 50% - 1d100 → [37] = (37) Success
"Kon-Konnichiwa. Er..." she falters momentarily before trying her luck. "Do you speak English by chance?"

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:40 pm
by Priest
Axelby turns to answer Paul's question. "People are coming any time without ryme or reason. The last people here were about three weeks before Miss Chadwick. Peterson, or something like that, Dutch couple." he waves at a collection of green leather suitcases, "Thats their stuff still there"

Suddenly Ted's actions cause Axelby and the rest of you to jump.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:17 am
by DrVendetta
After being startalded by Ted, Paul ask "You ok Ted? What is it?"

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony steps back, startled. "What was what?" he asks Ted.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:11 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Sorry to startle you. A doll thats all. All this talk of ghosts has me hearing things." Ted shakes his head and goes over to check out the green luggage. "I think our best lead might be to talk to the Aussie."

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:58 pm
by Priest
Bridget Barrett (pJ),

For a few seconds the line is filled with crackling. Then a voice says in hesitant, barely understandable English, "Hai, a little yes"
Axelby looks at Ted with suspicion, "Doll you say?" He moves forward and flips the lid of the case open. Inside can be seen various womens garments but no doll. He closes the case and flashes Ted another suspicious look

The other cases, the Petersons, contain nothing of any interest.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:21 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: "And just what was it that you thought you heard Nelson? It could be significant... as indeed was your reaction. He goes over with him to view the green luggage.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:46 am
by DrVendetta
Paul continues to look over the room and any ajoining rooms.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I looked through that case too," says Tony, "and I didn't see any doll." He shrugs. "Yeah, our best bet is to talk to the Ferret."

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:11 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted walks back over to the suitcase, "What the hell do you mean there's no doll?" He dumps the suitcase open moving the clothes around. "There was a doll in there," Ted states as he looks over at their host. "So what this is some sort of magic trick?"

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:28 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Are you feeling quite yourself Nelson? Perhaps a moment's sit down and a cup of tea?

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony watches Ted carefully, wondering if maybe he's starting to lose his mind the way the Chadwicks have.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:52 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: "Er.. Mr. Axelby. This may seem like a very strange question but did you happen to notice any... er dolls in the luggage, or in any of your customers' rooms? Scary dolls perhaps? Jack-in-a-boxes? Tribal fetishes? Puppets?"

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:57 pm
by Priest
Axelby scratches his head in thought at Krugman's question, "You mean like twenty five feet high with big white hands and a huge red nose?"
For a few moments he keeps a straight face as if serious, then he starts to chuckle, "Only when I've had a few" with that he pulls the door closed, locks it and leaves the corridor for the stairs.

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:14 am
by BenTheRat
"I'm fine, I don't know what this guy is up to, I don't trust him." Ted says as he lights up another cig.

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"He seemed like an okay joe to me," says Tony. "What did you notice that I didn't?" Aside from a doll that wasn't there, he thinks

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:19 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget speaks slowly and deliberately into the receiver, enunciating as clearly as he possibly can.

"Oh thank goodness!" she says, "I need to be connected to The Brooklyn Eagle newspaper offices in Brooklyn, New York please."

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:41 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted was starting to question whether he did see a doll. No one else did. It was one thing to have a bad dream, but here he was wide awake. He hadn't had decent whiskey in so long, maybe that was it. He had dealt with some weird cases before, and he had always said he wouldn't believe anything unless he could touch it. Well, here he was touching something and couldn't believe it. Despite his feelings Ted poured himself another drink straight, and downed it.
"Lets just go find this Aussie."

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, if he's in town," says Tony. "He could be out in the forest for all we know. Mr. Axelby did say he'd let Ferret know we want to talk to him."

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:00 am
by DrVendetta
Paul adds "Axelby can probably start us in the right direction on finding him"

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:30 am
by Priest
Bridget Barrett, (jB),
For a few moments the line is once more a mass of static, then the voice returns, "Hai, I try. But International line not good. I will try to... connect, but might be long wait. I ring you back when connected... okay?"
Ted, Tony etc,
On you return trip to the lobby you that it’s getting noisy in the dining area..
Four young adults, all native Japanese, are placing candles on every horizontal surface. They are speaking animatedly and laughing. One orders a bottle of sake from Axelby, who puts it over the heat. They notice you watching them and all at once they wave you over, inviting you to join them.

As you approach the table four of the guests, two couples dressed in a slightly old fashioned Euro-American style, rise from their seats and bow politely. The mix of western and eastern culture is slightly amusing,
They introduce themselves as Toyotomi Yori and Sachi, and Yamura and Sué Kunihiko, it seems all four are fascinated by American and European culture so have come to the hotel in the hope of meeting, and talking with, westerners.

It seems they are playing a game and invite you to join them. Godo Sachi tells the name of the game, Hyakumonogatari Kaidankai (translated: A Gathering of One Hundred Supernatural Tales), and explains the rules.

“This is a very old-fashioned game, but still we enjoy very much. Not in fashion, but fun to play. Everyone takes turns to tell stories. Small stories, special ones. The stories are all… stories of ghosts and devils. Only most frightening stories allowed! Each time you tell a story you blow out just one candle. When all stories are told and only one candle is burning,the last one just tells one final story and blows out the final candle. And when that happens you see a ghost! The stories bring the ghost to the table, and the scared people run out of the room! If you are brave, you stay and the ghost sees you! May bring you a message from the land of the dead!” (Broken English is on purpose)

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

Tony bows in return. "Hi, I'm Tony Esposito," he says. "Nice to meet you. That sounds like a fun game. I'll play. I ain't afraid of no ghost."

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:23 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: "Bit of a busman's holiday for me I'm afraid. Sounds like a seminar with some of my students, Apart from the candles and the mumbo jumbo of course." But I'll observe. It will be an interesting anthropological exercise to watch you at your game".

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:29 pm
by Priest
Despite no one seeming to be willing to participate in the game, it continues with each of the players telling stories.

A particular theme of these stories seems to be the Yuri or Hitodama spirits that you have come across before. Most of the tales concern moralistic lessons, such as one about a young boy who was rude to his elders getting frightened to death by the ghost of his ancient great-grandmother. However whatever their theme the stories are both gruesome and noisily entertaining.

The game continues with the stories getting creepier and spookier as the game nears its crescendo (of course the large amount of Saki consumed helps). When there is only one candle left, Yamura Kunihiko asks for the privilege of going last. She tells an artfully frightening version of a traditional Japanese ghost story, the story of Aoyagi, a lone Samurai who gets lost in a blizzard and unwittingly marries the ghost of a Geisha. The Geisha is a local legend, she explains, a woman who killed herself for love in the Aokigahara. When she blows out the final candle a terrifying sight appears. For a second the whole room is in darkness. Then suddenly, the room is lit by a flash of light and for one moment there seems to be an apparition in the corner of the room, looking to all like a geisha of the Classical Period but whose face is only that of a skull.
The apparition seems to lock eyes with you for just a moment and then, moving fast like a film that has been sped up, she stands before you for a brief moment before she disappears and the room, now candleless, grows solidly dark again.
OOC:   For seeing the Ghost of the Geisha please make a SAN check (1/1D6).  

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:14 pm
by BenTheRat
sanity,[dice]0[/dice] Ted loses 1 point.
Ted Nelson
Sitting in the dark after the ghostly figure dissipated. "Ok, this place is definetely different." Ted says.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:50 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget agrees gratefully and hangs the receiver back it's cradle, turning from the phone just in time to see the others join some of locals in some sort of parlor game. Taking special note of the scene, figuring it may be good local color for her future piece, she listens with amusement at the harrowing tales of ghosts and ghouls. She even adds her own story or two when the time comes.

The horrifying apparition that materializes in the darkness sends bolts of horror throughout her body and her mind reels at what appears before her.
Spoiler:
SAN - 50% - 1d100 → [60] = (60) FAIL
SAN LOSS - 1d6 → [6] = (6)
IDEA - 80% - 1d100 → [63] = (63) SUCCESS
Bridget's mind seems to nearly come loose of it's moorings in the face of the horrific sight that occupies the room's far corner. She clamps her eyes shut tightly and commands herself to breathe, which she does in short, ragged breaths. Shakily, she finds a nearby chair and nearly collapses into it where she sits pressing her palms into her eyes.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman SAN 80 rolls.. 69

Professor Krugman: "Ha ha! A wonderful illusion. Fantastic! Cleverly done my friends. I see neither the strings nor any mirrors."

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Instantly, Tony realizes how wrong he was to play this game. I should have known better than to mess with the supernatural, he thinks as the apparation spooks him. He trembles, clutching the edge of the table until his knuckles turn white. "That ain't no parlor trick, that's the real deal!" he splutters, trembling.
OOC,I did say I was willing to play the game. In retrospect, it wasn't such a good idea.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:57 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Steady on there Old Chap. You look like you've got the willies. Just because we can't see how they're doing it doesn't mean its real. What, have you never been fooled by the better sort of conjuror before? I guess that's what comes from hanging out in sleazy bars instead of the better class of night clubs, eh! Nevermind. Perhaps another drink?... Or actually... tea, yes, tea is what you need.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony takes a deep breath. "No thanks, I'd rather have that drink," he says. "Professor, I know you're skeptical, but the supernatural is quite real. There are more things in heaven and earth, et cetera. I'm all right now. I've always believed in ghosts, but it's another matter to actually see one." He looks over to Bridget, who has taken it even worse than he has. "Miss Barrett, do you need help? I'll buy you a drink."

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:08 am
by DrVendetta
Paul Sanity roll,[dice]0[/dice]sanity damage = [dice]1[/dice]
Paul is clearly shaken by the sight of the ghost and decides to take Tony up on the offer of getting a drink as long as it is in a different room, otherwise he finds a different excuse to leave the room and go collect himself.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:01 pm
by Priest
Laughing the Japanese couples quickly relight the candles. The behaviour of some of you confuses them for a moment, but then they continue, finishing the saki. It would seem that none of them had seen the apparition.
Saki finished they, laughing, declare Kunihiko the winner as her story had obviously spooked the Americans. say their goodnights, bow politely and hurry off to their rooms.

Axelby, attracted by the noise, appears and points to the bar, "Well I'm off to bed. Please keep a record of your drinks on the slate, they'll be charged to your rooms as apprpriate.

Sanity Roll for Francis,1d100 → [79] = (79) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4629927/ Fail Sanity loss - 1d6 → [3] = (3) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4629931/

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman decides also that one whiskey before bed might not hurt, and looks to see if there is a single malt. He sits contemplatively, considering the tough guy's words. The supernatural is a thing of the mind of course, but that makes it no less powerful. Did I not see the effect of wild imaginings under conditions of great stress in enough of those poor devils who came back from Gallipoli? Yes, wild imaginings then shell shock. They said it came from lack of moral fibre, but many of these fellows were the type who believed in the Angel and Mons and all the darker versions which were always whispered about among the lower ranks. It starts with imagined ghoulies and ghosties. I've seen it effect fellows even tougher than he. I'll have to watch him carefully.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:56 am
by Priest
OOC:   Everyone having a final drink please roll 1d100 lower the better.  
The telephone near the entrance rings, the sudden noise making several of you jump. A female voice in bad English asks for Miss Barrett it seems her call is waiting.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:28 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted had enough spook shows for one night, he marks the tab for one more quick bout. "Not sure I want to sleep here, not after tonight's fun." He heads up to his room, and the wave of exhaustion sweeps over him, as he quickly falls into a restless sleep.
drink roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:43 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget knits her hands together, vainly attempting to rub the warmth back into them. She smiles wanly at Tony.

"A nightcap sounds per..." she starts before being interrupted by the announcement of a phone call. "...oh...excuse me."

She steps over to the phone and lifts the receiver.

"Bridget Barrett speaking." she says.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

Tony pours himself a drink and marks it off on the slate, then gulps it down, easily able to handle his liquor. "Whatever we saw, it was no hallucination," he says. "We couldn't all have imagined the same thing."

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:22 am
by PatGrillo
The professor is barely affected by the beverage.
Drink,{Rolls 03}

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:37 pm
by Priest
OOC:   I can't imagine anyone left rolling less than a 3 so;  
Professor Krugman (Pat Grillo),When you go to your room you find a roughly folded not has been pushed beneath the door. On it is written in large letters [center][size=150]BEWARE KONOWGA TAING[/size][/center]
Bridget Barrett,
The phone line crackles and hisses absymally. Then a quiet Japanes voice says,
"Miss Barrett, I have that number you were asking for"
A few more moments of noise and another, familiar voice, "Yeah, for crisake you know what time it is?"

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:32 pm
by jbibblesworth
"Sorry for the untimely wake up call," Bridget says, but after tonight I'm not sure when the next time I'll be in contact is. Did your research turn up anything interesting?"

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:03 pm
by Priest
Bridget Barrett,
The voice thick with sleep is hard to hear through the crackle of the phone line "Nah....thing. I loo........but found.....interest on any of .........you mentioned."
For the next few moments the line is nothing but a mass of crackle and hiss, then the voice breaks through clearly for a moment, "Checked out that book you mentioned, but it seems little more than a collection of Japanese fairy tales.....line is bad, call me later if you need anything else. But try and make it at a decent time, yea....." And with that he is gone. A little more crackle and hiss then the Japanes voice returns, "I am sorry but it seems your connection has been lost"

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:01 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman tries to sleep, pondering the strange thing he has found, searching his memory. He resolves to discuss it in the morning with the others.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:21 am
by DrVendetta
Paul walks over to Bridget after she gets off the phone and says "I think i will be retiring for the night what time will we all be meeting back down here in the morning?"

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 am
by kabukiman
Francis doesn't feel very well. He has passed a good part of the nigth writing all the details. This is practicaly a story written by itself. He is just changing some details: it's the story of a men who is looking for his love who has vanished in Japan.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:55 pm
by Priest
You all spend a fairly restful nights sleep at the hotel, although more than a couple of you had bad dreams. At nine the following morning you are all gathered in the small dining room. Little evidence of last nights parlour game remains, other than the odd patch of dried wax. Of the Japanese couples there is no sign, however given the size of the room that might be a good thing. If asked Axelby will mutter something about them having gone sight seeing.

In the lobby seeing how fast he can drink one of the bottles of Sino-German beer, is a badly dressed westerner. Shorts, shirt that looks in need of repairing, and washing, topped off by a stained khaki coloured bush hat, one side turned up, of the style worn by the Anzacs during the war.
Axelby,in the process of serving a scalding hot beverage that he misnames 'coffee', nods at the figure and whispers, "The Ferret"

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:47 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted takes a cup of joe but refrains from drinking it while its too hot. He walks over to Ferret and sits down. "Hello friend, my names Ted Nelson. I understand you give tours into the forest."

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:04 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman nods rather awkwardly at the coarse looking man.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony nods but doesn't say anything yet, letting Ted do the talking.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 am
by kabukiman
Francis waits that the other man says something.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson:
The Ferret slowly turns his head and regards you for a moment or two in silence. "G'day mate, Charley Proby, but folks call me Ferret 'cause I find things." he speaks in a rich Australian accent, "I guess you're a Yank?" he glances over to where the others watch, "You with them?"
He finishes his beer and places the empty bottle on the counter following it with a loud belch, "Get out ya beauty". Then after wiping his mouth with the back of his hand he continues, "Yeah sure I do tours of the forest, if the price is right mate"

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:59 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget descends the staircase from the sleeping quarters, tactfully put together as always, but the faded quality of her normally astute stare belies her restless night. She glances towards the table where Ted is engaged in conversation with a rather rustic looking individual.

She picks up a cup and saucer and smiles gratefully as Axelby pours a cup of vile, brackish coffee. She declines to taste the foul brew, content instead to merely feel it's warmth drift through her fingers.

"Who's that?" she inquires, blowing a head of steam from her cup.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:47 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted acknowledges everyone, "yea we are all together. I understand you took a young lady into the forest a few days back. Another American. What can you tell us about her mate?" Ted has a $5 folded up in his hand, but makes sure the Ferret can see it.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson:
Proby (the Ferret) reaches across the counter and pulls another beer towards him, using a bottle opener attached to a chain on the wall he opens it, ignoring the sudden spurt of warm beer. If he notices the money in you hand he makes no indication.
He swallows half the bottle in one long gulp, belches and again uses the back of his hand to wipe his mouth.

"Oh sure, she gave me a fiver, American, you know that’s what I get per day for a trip in to the old Akkey, it seems high, but I assure you there’s nobody but me who can or will take you in and no mistake. We met last week some time. I came by to the hotel bright and early – she was dressed like a spy in some book, with the long coat and the hat, she was. We took a trip just through the outskirts – I kept trying to tell her about the, you know, natural features and plant life and that. But she just shushed me like I was a child. I had half a mind to call the whole deal off right then and there. But she was a kid and all, so I say, let the client have her way. Anyway at some point she just stopped at the edge – that’s what I call it, there’s a skirt of scrub before you get to the deep forest – and just looked for a long time. Then she said she wanted to go back to the hotel. We did and that was that, no fooling."

He finishes the beer, looks pointedly at the five dollar bill in your hand, "Aint seen her since, I guess she's around somewhere"

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:41 am
by DrVendetta
Paul sits quitely sipping his coffee watching the conversation going on at the table.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're good at finding things," says Tony. "Can you find people too? Our friend hasn't been to the Ryokan in days. If she's still in the area, can you help us find her? If she doesn't turn up in the village, I think our best bet is for you to guide us where you took her in the forest, particularly to that part of the edge that caught her interest. It might help us to see what she saw, and she may have tried to go back there on her own."

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:16 am
by kabukiman
Francis is listening with curiosity. Why do the locals tolerate a foreigner doing tours?

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:28 pm
by Priest
Proby (the Ferret) pulls the sweat stained bush hat from his head, and runs fingers through his matted corn coloured hair. He turns to Tony, eyeing the big guy thoughtfully, "Sure, I could do that - for a suitable fee of course", his eyes move to the five dollar bill that Ted still holds in his hand, "But if she went back to Accy without me guiding her, she probably got herself lost. Those woods are bloody thick mate, easy to get lost in there"

He pushes the battered hat back onto his head, "Give me an hour to sort out my truck and I'll be available - five dollars American a day"

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, sounds good to me," says Tony.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:13 am
by kabukiman
Francis nods

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:13 am
by kabukiman
Francis nods

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:16 am
by kabukiman
Francis nods

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:42 am
by DrVendetta
Paul finishes his cofee.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:50 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted hands Ferret the 5, sounds good, we will be ready to go when you are.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 pm
by Priest
Proby (the Ferret) grins as he takes the five spot, "Like I said, give me an hour to sort out me truck and I'll meet you back here"
Disapearing the five dollar note into a shirt pocket, he fastens the button and leaves the room.

Axelby, coffee pot in hand, watches him leave, "Strange bloke, story is he was shifting illegal arms when his boat sank and he washed up here. Still he's always been good to his word, if he says he will show you the forrest, he will"
He eyes the fire blackened coffee pot, "Now is there anything I can get you before I begin the daily grind of running the hotel?"

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I could sure do with some breakfast," says Tony. "Coffee would hit the spot too, thanks."

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:45 am
by DrVendetta
Paul orders another coffe whoile waiting on everyone to gather again to discuss the plan going foward.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted orders some breakfast, chokes down his coffee and gets another cup.
'Well, I guess we are going into that God forsaken forest."

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:45 pm
by DrVendetta
"Do you think we will be gone more than just the day?" ask Paul. "That will help us know what we need to get packed up, at a minimum I would advise everyone to dress comfortably with good hiking footware and make sure you bring some water with you."

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: "Well, we seem to be making progress Gentlemen... er and Lady. We should get out things together and be ready to leave as soon as the fellow brings his truck. Perhaps the hotel could pack us a hamper, we may be gone for some time."

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:13 am
by kabukiman
-Maybe we should take some extra food? In case we got lost?- says Francis

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:27 am
by DrVendetta
Paul laughs "If we get lost we need to get a refund from the guide"

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:16 am
by BenTheRat
Ted laughs, "Yea, but bringing a snack and some water sounds like a good plan."

Ted finishes off his coffee and breakfast and gathers his gear ready to go.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:51 pm
by Priest
No sooner had you got everything sorted, but a car horn toots outside the hotel.

Outside, engine misfiring slightly, is a Russian military truck. From the rough looking bodywork and a pattern of small evenly paced holes in the passenger door you would imgine that it probably saw service in the Russian Civil War. The front windscreen looks paterned by multiple spiderweb crack. All in all it looks, if not dangerous, likely to give up the ghost at any time. But at least it's running, though for how long is anyones guess.
Proby leans out of the drivers side window, cigarette gripped between his teeth, "Okay all aboard. Chuck your stuff in the back. Theres room up front for teo of you, the rest will have to find a box to sit on in the rear" He smiles and ducks back into the cab. The truck revs up and black smoke spews from the exhaust.

Once everyone is aboard Proby shifts into first, with a crunch of misaligned gears, and the truck heads off down the dirt road towards the forest.

You come around a bend in the road and for a brief moment you the Aokigahara forest stretching before you.
The road, heavilly rutted, leads into shadow. A few feet into the forest is a large hand-painted sign lashed to a copse of trees, with three rows of characters in Japanese.
Proby, cigarette still gripped tightly between his lips, slows the truck to a crawl and grins, "Sign says,Please reconsider your actions. Think of your families!"

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:40 pm
by DrVendetta
Paul, sitting in the back of the truck but close enough to the cab to be able to communicate with those in the front reads the sign to himself to validate what Proby is telling them

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:59 pm
by Priest
After a short distance of the road becoming a potholed track little better than a path, Proby brings the truck to a halt,
"Well this is as far as the old lady goes, from here on its a walk I'm afraid. That's if you want to go any further". He shuts off the engine with a few moments of preignition, "This is as far in as I brought the sheila. Whether she came back by herself is anyones guess. She'd be stupid if she did, but then..." he leans out the window and throws his cigarette butt amongst the thick undergrowth.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:23 am
by DrVendetta
Paul jumps out of the back of the truck and stretches his legs and says "But then what?" and turns and looks at Proby.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony climbs out of the back of the truck too. "You said Veronica was staring at something," he says to Proby. "Do you remember which way she was looking?"

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:53 am
by BenTheRat
Ted climbs out of the back and looks around seeing if he can spot any tracks leading away from their spot and into the woods.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:38 am
by kabukiman
Francis try to find something unusual.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:52 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: "But Mr. Proly... surely if we were to increase your remuneration?"

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:51 pm
by Priest
Previously Paul Wellington said:   "But then what?"  
Proby looks back at you and shrugs, "Then nothing, I simply meant you know what young girls are like always searching after adventure. Whether she came back later of her own accord, I don't know - she might have. If she did and she went in there without a guide, well" he leaves the sentence unfinished but one look at the tangled mass of trees, bushes and undergrowth is enough.
Previously Tony said:   "You said Veronica was staring at something. Do you remember which way she was looking?"  
Proby takes the stained hat from his head and wipes his forehead with the back of his hand, "I dont know that she was staring at anything in particular simply looking into the forest" With the hat he points towards the forest, staight ahead where you can see the path disapearing into the shadows, "She was looking that way, down the path"
Previously Professor Krugman said:   "But Mr. Proby... surely if we were to increase your remuneration?"  
Proby replaces the hat and kicks dust from the path, "Its not a question of price. I mean that this is as far as the truck will take us, from here on its a hike. Your five dollars a day will still buy you a guide. You tell me where you want to go and I will take you there and back"

He watches as Ted checks for any tracks.
There are lots both human and animal, criss-crossing up and down the path some going in, some coming out. But more going.
OOC:   The story continues here viewtopic.php?f=306&t=5267