Page 1 of 1

Scene Three. The Maritime East Shipping Agents

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:22 pm
by Priest
Scene three: Maritime East Shipping Agents. Arkham MA

To the sound of a jingling bell, the door of Maritime East Shipping Agents opens to reveal a small, cramped office. A few chairs are set before a tiny, paper strewn desk while the walls are adorned with posters of far-away places – Egypt, Africa, and the Swiss Alps feature prominently.
Every surface is stacked with folders, brochures, and mementos of foreign travel. On the wall behind the desk is a particularly gruesome African mask, and wherever you go in the tiny room it seems to look down on you with smoldering hate. Soon after the bell rings, an elderly man in an extremely well-tailored Italian suit comes out from a back room, beaming.

"Welcome, welcome. Alfred Noble. How may we be of service to you?"

As the door closes too behind him you are aware of another, much younger man sitting at another desk within the room.

Re: Scene Three. The Maritime East Shipping Agents

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 pm
by jbibblesworth
The atmosphere of the claustrophobic room is positively stifling, but nevertheless Bridget steps to the forefront of the group her swelling fascination with the story now getting the better of her decorum.

"How do you do Mr. Noble?" she says warmly, extending a hand to the primly dressed proprietor. "I'm Bridget Barrett. We're here to inquire about a friend of ours we believe may have done some business with your company recently. Do you remember the name Veronica Chadwick by any chance?"

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 pm
by Priest
Noble sinks heavilly into a swivel chair that has seen better days behind the desk, he makes a show of consideration of your question, "I might have" he sucks pensively on a hollow tooth, "But client confidentiality is something I place great store on. Now if I was to break that confidentiality, and word was to get round that Alfred Noble couldn't be trusted to keep his yap shut, I'd lose business. And who can afford to lose business in these times"

From the look of the office, it hardly looks like business is booming.

Ted Nelson smiles, he recognises someone on the make when he sees them.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:11 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget's eyes narrow slightly at Noble's not-so-subtle request for a bribe. However, it isn't the first time she'd run across such seedy types in her days. She slips a deft hand into her clutch purse and fishes out a twenty dollar bill which she discreetly folds in half and slides across the desktop towards him.

"Mr. Noble, I can assure you that my associates and I are fully capable of the utmost discretion. We ask only out of concern for our dear friend Veronica."
Spoiler:
Fast Talk Target 55% 1d100 → [6] = (6) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4567174/

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony stands near the door and keeps an eye on the proceedings, content to let Bridget do the talking and ready with the invoice if it's needed. The food at Luigi's smelled good, he thinks. Maybe we can eat there afterwards.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:58 am
by Priest
Almost as discreetly, but with extra haste, Noble takes the twenty and slips it into a pocket.

“Yeah, I remember her. She came in a few weeks ago asking for information about foreign travel arrangements. She wanted passage to Japan.
Yeah that was it, to Japan, but not one of the major cities. A village called…. oh, it’s on the tip of my tongue. Oh yes, Naushua, I believe. Yes, I’m certain it was Naushua. I was only most helpful with the lovely young lady, as my assistant Mr Wellington can verify”
With a slight movement of his head he indicates the pale faced young man watching interestedly from the back room.

“We discussed timetables and routes, and it seemed money was of little object. Strange, though. I asked her why such a young girl would possibly want to make such a long and… arduous journey... I ask for professional reasons only, you understand? However, she stared off into nothing as if looking at something which wasn’t there for quite some time, so long that I finally had to ask her if everything was all right. When she spoke again she took me by surprise, she spoke to me in what I am certain is Japanese. I speak five languages, you realize, have travelled all over the world, but it’s not a language I’ve mastered to any extent, unlike Mr Wellington, I know a few phrases and am familiar with its sound, but only in a limited fashion, understand?.”

He pauses and his brow furrows in thought, “As I remember it the young lady had no trace of an accent. Well, one can only presume that she is an enthusiast of their fascinating culture, whatever her reason, I booked her passage myself. Would you like a copy of her itinerary? I could provide one, certainly. However there is a nominal charge of $10…to cover expenses etc” He shuffles a few sheets of paper, pointedly...

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:11 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget listens as the agent recounts his dealings with Veronica, his answers only further complicating the mystery. Another inevitable request for a payoff sends Bridget's hand rummaging through her purse, almost without her realization of doing so. As she flips through the assorted bills her eyes remain glued to Mr. Noble.

"Thank you Mr. Noble, her itinerary would be extremely helpful!" she says, depositing another tightly folded bill onto the desk before him. "And she said nothing else? She didn't mention if she knew anyone there or what intentions, if any, she had?"

Over her shoulder she addresses the others.

"Well fellas, our little investigation just became a whole lot more involved. We should let Ms. Chadwick know straight away." she suggests. A thought seems to momentarily lighten her delicate features and she directs her attention towards Mr. Noble's silent associate.

"Mr...Wellington was it?" she says, offering him a practiced smile. "Your colleague Mr. Noble mentioned that when Veronica was here she said something in Japanese. I don't suppose you overheard it and would be willing to relay it's meaning to us?"

'When does a full-time student of mathematics have time to become fluent in Japanese?' she wonders to herself.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:04 pm
by Priest
Noble shakes his head, "No, she said nothing else about her intentions once she'd got to her destination and she never mentioned anyone else" he turns to the young man he had earlier identified as Mr Wellington, who had appeared beside him, "Did you get any more information, Paul?"

Paul Wellington watches as Noble hastily stuffs the ten dollar bill in his pocket along with the earlier twenty, you can see the disgust on his face.

"She said two words one was forest and the other geisha, it was hard to get the gist of most of what she was saying as she spoke so fast and a lot of it was some old form of Japanese to high brow for me" he steps around the still seated Noble.
"I remember Miss Chadwick, pretty girl, nice manners. I spoke to her first but what she was after was beyond me, so I handed her on to Mr Noble" he smiles at Noble, but you can see its nothing more than formality.

"Is she in some sort of trouble? I'd like to help if I can. Like I said she seemed real nice, if a little too distant"

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:29 pm
by jbibblesworth
As the young Wellington speaks, Bridget whips out her notebook to the page with the copy of the Japanese character and jots down the word 'geisha'.

"We don't have any evidence that causes us to think she's in trouble per se..." she states slowly, "...other than her unusual behavior, that is."

She motions towards her associates in an inclusive manner.

"We'd be more than appreciative to any assistance or insight you could offer us." she briefly considers asking him about the Yueri but quickly decides against it in light of Noble's unscrupulous nature. "Mr. Noble, is there any additional information you can think of or any unmentioned detail that you can recall that you think may be of note? If not, I'll take the itinerary and leave you to your business..."

"...unless one of my companions has something they wish to ask." she adds.

She takes a step closer to Paul, hoping to speak a bit more discreetly.

"Paul, I've no experience with Japanese culture. Can't even hold chopsticks."['/color] she smiles sweetly, "Would you be willing to share your insight on a few matters over a cup of coffee? Maybe we can grab something next door at the little Italian place? My treat!"

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:26 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman : Did you show no concern for such a young girl expressing the desire to travel alone? Or was there some second person?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, Luigi's sure smells good," comments Tony, almost salivating. "There's nothing like fine Italian cooking."

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:34 am
by kabukiman
-Funny, nobody mentioned that she knew that language. Or she had some classes. This is getting stranger- Francis is already getting ideas to his book. Maybe a case of possession?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:01 pm
by Priest
Noble opens a desk drawer and retrieves several sheets of typewritten paper, "This is the itinery I produced for Miss Chadwick. As you can see it involved her travelling overland to Frisco, and then by ship to Mito then inland to Naushua."

You can see the paper is dated two weeks ago, and coresponds with her abrupt disapearance.

As he releases the sheets he looks up at the question from Professor Krugman, " Yeah I was concerned, but she seemed very competent and it's bad buisness to interfere in a clients wishes. As I said she was alone when she came in, and alone when she picked up her tickets. If there was anyone else, they sure didn't travel with her"

Wellington takes an overcoat from the nearby stand, "Just popping out for a bit, back soon" to Bridget he smiles and says, "Luigi's is good"

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:29 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget accompanies Wellington to the Italian eatery next door and selects a table near the rear of the restaurant. There, as they wait on their respective orders, she diligently goes over the case's pertinent facts being certain to bring to to his attention any detail that pertains specifically to Japan.

Finally, having shown him her transcribed character, she takes her coffee cup in hand and looks at Paul thoughtfully.

"So what do you think Paul?" she asks, motioning towards the notebook. "Does anything jump out at you?"

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:25 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted sat back watching Bridgett take the lead. "not bad, maybe there is hope for this group," he thought to himself, though he thought the 20 spot was way too much for information. A small threat of a beating would have gotten the same results, but the rich are use to buying what they want.
Addressing Noble, "We may need to book the same passage, how much was it for Ms. Chadwick? and I am unfamiliar with Naushua, how far is it from Mito?" Ted asks.
book,didn't we borrow the book? I thought we had it with us, maybe I'm wrong. need to go back and check.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Welcome back Ben.  
Noble opens another desk drawer and pulls out a folded map of Japan, studies it for a moment and then points out the port of Mito with a nail that shows evidence of chewing, "Here's Mito and Naushau village is some sixty miles inland, just about here I believe"
You can see nothing on the map, obviously a village is too small to have been noted. Noble seems to be pointing to a forested area near the foothills of Fuji. The name of the forest is written in on the map just where the crease has marked it, it looks like Aokigahara, but you cant be sure.

Noble looks up from the map, "I could arrange for you to travel to Japan for a reasonable price. Of course travel to that Country is...difficult, but it happens that I have some freight booked on a cargo ship out of Frisco next Tuesday and I may be able to extend the booking to accomodate some of you. But I will need to know as quick as possible for the paperwork"

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we'd better make the arrangements now," suggests Tony. "It's been too long already, and we don't want the trail to grow colder. That notepad rubbing we took also mentioned Aokigahara Forest. That's a topic we'll want to research."

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 am
by kabukiman
-Did see make any question concerning the area she was going? Even something that you didn't know?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:30 am
by Priest
Kabukiman,Who are you directing the question at?
OOC:   As far as I can tell the last person to have the book 'A Dream of Japan' was Ted. There is no mention of him putting it back, so I presume he still has it.  

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 pm
by kabukiman
OOC,to Noble

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:56 pm
by Priest
Noble stares at the writer, suddenly aware of his precense, "No she didn't. She seemed totally aware of the location"

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Yes, I believe we will need 6 tickets. Or is it only 5 Tony? While I've never heard of Naushau, I have heard of the Aokigahara Forest. A ghastly place I have heard." Ted opens his satchel to discover the book he had forgotten.
"Hey Tony, did Bridgett want to get another copy of the book. I still have the one from the Chadwick manor." Then back to Noble "Plesae send the bill to Ms. Chadwick at this address." Ted writes down the address and hands it to Mr. Noble. "How soon would we need to leave to catch this boat out of San Francisco?"

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I count six of us," says Tony. "I said I'd go to the ends of the Earth to find Veronica, and it seems we're going to have to do just that."

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:04 am
by DrVendetta
Paul takes the notebook from Bridget to get a closer look and reply's to Bridget as he is looking at it "So what is the story with your friend Ms. Chadwick? She seemed very distant in her conversation when she was here before and Naushau is a odd area to request passage to." Paul thinks to himself and the Japanse that Veronica had spoke and says "It is on the edge of the Aokigahra forest now that I think of it if that helps, but I can't say that she specifically mentioned the Aokigahra forest in the two words that I picked out from her Japanse"

Paul looks up to Bridget and says "I would be glad to offer my services if you need help in locating Miss Chadwick, I speak some Japanse and could do a little more research for you on Naushau if you would like?"
Priest,Not sure if I know anything about the Japanse Character or anything else I see or notice in the notebook but here is a roll if needed [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:35 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Ok, 6 then." Then back at Tony, "Swore I heard one of the young ladies saying she had done enough and there was no way she was going to Japan. But maybe I mis-heard." Ted thinks for a minute.
"Do you have a phone sir, we should contact Ms. Chadwick right away about heading to Japan and the expense. Now was someone mentioning lunch?" Ted says patting his stomach.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:38 pm
by jbibblesworth
The young agent's congenial nature and seemingly earnest willingness to assist them in their search for Veronica puts Bridget draws the rare genuine smile from her.

"To be honest with you Paul, no one's entirely certain what to make of Veronica's behavior." she blows a curling plume of steam from her coffee cup and sips it tentatively. "She was fairly normal for a girl her age. She studies mathematics up at Miskatonic University...or at least she did until a few weeks ago. Then, according to her roommate, this sudden obsession with Japanese folklore cropped up. And now she's apparently halfway across the world..."

Bridget sighs and shakes her head sympathetically.

"Strange behavior indeed." her eyes find Paul. "Of course we would appreciate any help Paul. In case you can't tell, we're all a bit out of our element here. Any additional information you can dig up on where she headed would be valuable."

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:14 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Question: Did anyone bring the piece of paper from the desk pad upon which Veronica had been doodling?  
In answer to Ted, Noble points to a black bakelite phone half covered by a collection of manilla folders, "Help yourself, six passengers you say? I'll work out a price, with a generous group discount of course"
By the time you have got connected to Mrs Chadwick, or Myers to be more precise, he has produced a price which seems fair and is quickly accepted by Myers, who assure you that he will keep Mrs Chadwick abreast of developments.
Paul Wellington (Dr V),You can confirm that the symbol in the notebook is indeed the Japanese symbol for [i]Tree[/i]. If there are other Japanese symbology or drawings forthcoming you will be able to translate them.
OOC:   Tilda Smith Chadwick has departed, so ther are five of you remaining. However Paul Wellington is the replacement so there will be six of you again  

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:03 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Priest,yes I crumpled it up and stuck it in my pocket.
Ted thanks Myers on the phone and after arrangements have all been made. "I think we have just enough time for lunch." Ted heads over to the restaurant next door and joins Paul and Bridget.
"So we are all set, 6 tickets to San Francisco via train and then a ship to Japan. Oh yea Bridget, I almost forgot, I have the copy of the book you wanted to look at. I borrowed it from the Chadwicks." Ted says.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 am
by DrVendetta
Paul hands the notebook back to Bridget and says "This is the Japanese symbol for tree, it has no other special meaning. Any idea of what Japanese folk lore specificly that she became interested in? I just find it odd that she would seek out a remote location such as Naushau unless she had reason to, if you had any other information about the folk lore she had become obsessed with it may help when I do my checking on Naushau"

Paul looks at the book as Ted hands it to Bridget trying to eye the name of it now that he is becoming enthrawled with the upcoming adventure that awaits.

"6 tickets? Is it safe for me to assume that you will be taking me up on my offer of help then?" ask Paul as Ted sits down.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"I bought 6 tickets before I found out Tilda was heading back home. So we do have an extra ticket, but we should contact Ms. Chadwick about you joining the group. This could be dangerous, are you sure you want to join?" Ted asks.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 am
by DrVendetta
Paul smiles at Ted and ask "Well I do speak Japanese and am intrigued about about going to Japan. I have become quite bored with my current position at Maritime East. It is nothing more than a paper pushing job. How would I be compensated for my expenses and such?"

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"The Chadwick family is already paying us handsomely," says Tony, who had followed his nose and gone to Luigi's with Ted. "Now that Tilda has dropped out, I'm sure they can make the same deal with you, which will also cover expenses such as our tickets. In addition to researching Naushau, we'll went to find out more about the Aokigahara Forest. I think that's where Veronica is really headed, and she may have only gone to Naushau because it's close to the forest. We'll also want to stop by the boarding house and investigate that tree. She may have left something significant there."
OOC,If the PI didn't take it, I would have.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:44 am
by DrVendetta
Paul achknowledges Tony with a nod as he sits down and joins the conversation then ask to the group in general "What boarding house and what tree? Please bring me fully up to speed with what you know as it may help when I start researching Naushau and the Forest"

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:01 am
by jbibblesworth
Bridget's jaw slackens and she is momentarily shocked into a breathless silence as the others plunk themselves casually into the empty chair around the table and offhandedly discuss traveling to the other side of the globe.

"Japan? As in going to Japan? As in we're going to Japan? Now?" she stammers, her eyes as wide as the saucers their coffee cups rest upon. "I can't just disappear to Japan! For how long? Who's paying? Who will we stay with? How do we intend to get there? What do we pack? I have cats that need food!

She cups the coffee in both hands and drinks deeply, trying to collect her thoughts and compose some sort of list of logistics. There was no question she'd go of course. She'd chase a good story to the depths of the Mariana Trench! But to just pick up and go at the drop of a hat...

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Veronica was living at a boarding house in Arkham," Tony explains, returning the nod. "There's a tree visible through the window in her room, and she drew one of those freaky long-haired Japanese girls - Yurei, I think they're called - on the window with a rope around her neck. If you look at it from the right angle, it looks like she's hanging from the tree's branch. She also etched the Japanese symbol for 'tree' into the telephone." He turns to Bridget. "Veronica's gone to Japan, so that's where we need to go to find her. If you don't want to come with us, that's okay. Nobody will think any less of you. Even Veronica's own cousin isn't coming. But if you do come, I'm sure that Mrs. Chadwick will pay for it. That's considered an expense. We're not leaving right away, as we've got a few things to sort out first, which would give you time to find someone to watch your cats. Maritime East Shipping Agents are arranging our passage, same as they did for her a few weeks ago. How long are we going? Well, I'm not coming back until we've found Veronica, however long it takes. We'll need to find an inn or a hotel or something there. We will need to think about what to pack. I definitely want to bring my piece, but I don't know how the Japanese feel about gaijin bringing firearms into their country. At a guess, I doubt they'll like it."

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:20 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted fills in Paul with the details to catch him up.
"We did find this drawing, its a bit disturbing, but feel free to look at it if you like." Ted pulls out the crumpled paper and holds it out to Paul.
"Yes we are going to have to head to Japan Bridget. But only long enough to find Veronica and get out," Ted assures.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:22 am
by jbibblesworth
Bridget nods compliantly as the two men attempt to reassure her.

"Okay. Japan. Sure." she says at last before falling back into her mental to-do list.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:02 am
by DrVendetta
Paul smiles slightly at how Bridget gets so shaken at the notion of traveling to Japan. That is one of the most exciting parts of this adventure that is falling into his lap just when he needed it most.

Paul takes the crumbled piece of paper from Ted and takes a deep breath to calm himself as he carefully uncrumbles it to get a view of the drawing, fearing the worst after hearing about the image of a Yurei hanging from a tree from the conversation he slowly smooths out the piece of paper and takes a look at the drawing trying not to show emotion to the others as he takes in the picture drawn on the piece of paper.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 am
by kabukiman
- I'm still puzzled for what started all this. You don't change in 2 weeks without a reason. Or was the madness inside here already and she only hide it from others?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:24 pm
by Priest
Paul Wellington (Dr V),As you have already made a roll of 3 earlier, you are able to make some sense of the doodles. Included are frighteningly lifelike pictures of bodies hanging from trees; what appears to be some sort of shadowy-faced woman with long hair and a flowing gown; pictures of skulls; and a mountain rising up out of a forest The shadowy faced woman with long hair and a flowing gown, would appear to equate with the picture of a[i] Yurei[/i] as drawn in the book [i]'A Dream of Japan'[/i]. The gown would appear to be that of a [i]geisha[/i] from the classical period. The mountain rising above a forest looks like Fuji above the Aokigahara. The figures of hanging females evoke a distant memory, one to do with the forest. Please roll[b] Occult +10%[/b]. Also please make a [b]San +10%[/b] check (0/1)

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:12 am
by DrVendetta
Priest,ok lets see if I can get these rolls to work right ;) Distant Forest memory Occult roll chance = 65% + 10% = 75% chance [dice]0[/dice] Sanity = 55 + 10% = 65% chance [dice]1[/dice] So I believe I made both rolls and do not take any Sanity damage

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:52 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"A bit gruesome huh, anything look familiar?" Ted asks.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:38 am
by DrVendetta
"Yes it is quite gruesome" replies Paul as he sets the smoothed out piece of paper on the table and points to the doodles as he responds to Ted "Well this here looks to be Fuji rising above the Aokigahara forest, I see a shadowy faced women here that I believe is a Yurei, and here I see womens bodies hanging from trees" Paul clearly appears to be thinking deeply about somthing as he continues to stare at the portion of the doodles where he pointed out the hanging female bodies.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:30 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Well I actually wondered if you could tell us something we didn't already know." Ted looked very disappointed and ordered the lunch special.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Madness does tend to run in the family," says Tony. "Remember what happened with Edgar."

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:29 am
by kabukiman
-I have another doubt. When we find her, what do we do? We cannot simply grab her. Because legally she isn't insane yet, even if we suspect that.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:35 am
by Priest
Paul Wellington (Dr V),Dice rolls Correct. Something about the hanging girls reminds you of something you had either heard or read at some time. The drawings look more like ritual suicide rather than simple lynching. The ritual suicide angle fits with other,unsubstantiated, tales you had heard about the forest, but had, according to contacts within the travel business, been strongly refuted by the Japanese Government, who claim that such stories are the product of Anti-Japanese elements within the authorities of the western powers. (Remember this is the 1920s and Japan has little love for ideas being introduced by foreigners, especially the Americans and British.)

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:00 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget drums her fingers across the tabletop.

"I'd say we leave the decision as to what to do with Veronica once we locate her to Miss. Chadwick." she suggests, "I'd think finding her should be sufficient for the time being."

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:30 pm
by DrVendetta
Paul, coming back out of his intent staring at the doodles of female bodies hanging from the tree's in the forest says to Ted "Well I can't be sure without doing some checking but these drawings of the women hanging from the tree's kind of fit up with some tales that I have heard about this Forest and women doing ritual suicides there or something to that effect. It has a been a while since I heard this story and can't quite rember who I heard it from but I will see if I can track down more information on it before we leave" and with that Paul looks back up, realizing that he had been racking his brain for the memory of where he had heard about this and when for a little longer than he should have.

He then ask "Who is Edgar?"

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Edgar was Veronica's cousin. Just got out of the asylum. we are thinking this might be something that runs in the family." Ted gets his plate of food and digs in.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:32 pm
by DrVendetta
"So who are the Chadwicks and who is backing us for this?" Paul ask

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"They're Veronica's family," explains Tony. "They're the ones backing us, and they're very wealthy."

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:30 am
by DrVendetta
"How did all of this begin though? How did they know she had left or was having problems?" reply's Paul

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:34 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Yes... Please arrange for a passage to Japan for us as soon as possible... and I think, you might do so on the most favourable terms given the bad publicity which may accrue to your agency if the young girl has come to any harm! A freighter you say? Oh dear. Oh well, needs must I suppose. When does it leave, and how long will it take us to reach San Francisco?

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:51 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"It all started with Veronica sending out the most peculiar letters, to cut off all ties with her past life. Family, friends, but it was very odd." Ted stopped for a second thinking, not daring to speak the thought that popped into his head. "From what we can peace together, she just went down her address book and sent a letter to each person in there breaking ties."
Teds thought: So its possible that anyone could send those letters. The original letter offered nothing as proof except it being in her hand writing.
"This prompted a response from her aunt that sent out a 2nd rate investigator, who found nothing except that Veronica was missing. So she hired us to do a more thorough job. And that we will." Ted finishes as he begins eating the pasta plate in front of him.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:52 pm
by Priest
Noble glances up at the lone figure of the professor, lone since most of the others had gone to Luigi's next door,

"Uh, the boat 'Star of the Pacific, is due to embark from Frisco on Tuesday next. And I reckon its a two day trip overland to Frisco, probably faster by air but that will cost more."
OOC:   I have no idea how long it would take to travel from Arkham to SF by rail, but we'll say two days :?  

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:57 pm
by DrVendetta
Paul responds to Ted "Well she spoke pretty formal Japanse when she was here, was she studing it at school or has she been to Japan before?"

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:41 pm
by jbibblesworth
"Quite the opposite!" Bridget interjects, "She was a mathematics student for crying out loud. Whatever compelled her to learn Japanese, it was entirely extracurricular."

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:24 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Paul, what day was she supposed to land in Miko. It can be a long trip across the pacific, maybe we can have a message left for her?" Ted muses. "Mmmm, try this pasta, it is excellent."

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, the fettucine is delicious!" says Tony between mouthfuls. "We could send a message to Japan, but would she even pay any attention to it? It might be better if we could travel by air, as she's got quite a headstart on us, but it would be much more expensive."

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:46 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"We could ask Ms. Chadwick, but I'm not so sure planes are safe. I've heard of a lot of people dying on them. My thought on the telegram would be to use some of the language she used in her letters, how the world is dark, and I have glimpsed the false reality mumbo-jumbo, and say I still need a guide into this new world and I'm following her path." Ted takes a small bite and swallows, "You know play into the delusion and reach her that way. It may cause her to slow down to wait, she maybe delusional, but she maybe looking for someone to make this new journey with, in my experience, crazy people seem to congregate. And worse it can do is waste a bit of coin, I figure it can't hurt."

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 am
by Priest
OOC:   Taking the liberty of replying for Paul Wellington, as he has been asked a question that Dr V won't have the answer to  
Paul looks up at Ted's question, "She should have landed several days ago the trip from here to Naushau taking about seven days, less if the weather in the Pacific was kind".
The day is drawing to a close, it is a long journey home. However there is a small, comfortable looking hotel quite close to where you are.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:22 am
by DrVendetta
OOC:   Thanks for answering Priest as you were correct I would have had no idea ;)  

Paul ask "What letters are you talking about? Do you have them so I could read them over, and there is something not normal if she had just recently learned how to speak Japanese to be able to speak Japanse the way she did when she was in the office."

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:26 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Make the arrangements immediately for us then Mr Krugman. Yes we shall go by air. It may be a matter of life or death. I shall now join my colleagues who are taking dinner next door. We shall return in about an hour to see what progress you have made. He goes to Luigi's to find the others, and attempt to catch up on their conversation.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, then we don't lose anything by sending the telegram," says Tony, "except to alert her that someone's coming after her. But I think it's worth the risk. The only letter we've seen is the one she sent to Mrs. Chadwick," he tells Paul. "We can show it to you. Who's carrying it?"

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:20 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"I didn't get it. but if she has been there a week, I doubt it will do any good. I wasn't sure how fast the boats were, obviously very. So she is probably deep into the forest already. " Finishing up his pasta Ted looks for a phone in the diner.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:30 am
by kabukiman
-Is it a good idea to send her a message? If she wanted to cut her ties, warning her we are coming may be a bad idea.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget chimes in.

"The tone of her note to her aunt doesn't really give me the feeling that we'll be warmly received. If anything, it might make our task more difficult if she realizes someone's actively looking for her."

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:30 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Agreed, If we could have caught her at the port, I think it was worth while, but now... I doubt it would be worth it."

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:47 pm
by DrVendetta
Paul politely ask again "Does someone have a copy of this letter or note that I could read?"
OOC:   Priest, if you can confirm that someone has it and let me know where I can look it up I will go look it up and read it but I do not want to read the other threads as my character was not a part of them. Just let me know.  

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:10 pm
by Priest
OOC:   I don't think anyone has the letter, as far as I remember it was simply shown to those at the party. I would imagine that one of you would have noted down the content in case there was need of it in the future.

Ben: According to the scenario it is a five day voyage across the Pacific, add two days for travel from Arkham to SF, and probably one to Naushau. I dont know if those times sound right, but what the heck :D  

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mrs. Chadwick still has the original letter that Veronica sent her," says Tony, "but she did show it to us and let us write down the contents."
OOC,You can find the letter in [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=161262#p161262]this post[/url].

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17 am
by DrVendetta
Paul listens closely to the reapting of what the letter said and ask "What was enclosed with the letter? 'all of the things that matter not at all' as she stated."

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"That must've gone right over my head," says Tony. "I guess I thought that was her crazy way of saying she wasn't enclosing anything, but maybe there was something in there. We'll have to ask Mrs. Chadwick if there was anything else with the letter."

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:04 am
by DrVendetta
"You are probably right Tony, I am not sure but do think that we need to ask" replys Paul

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:10 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman, rereads the letter: Hmm. "The dreamer"? It sounds quite... existential

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:52 pm
by Priest
Outside of the restaraunt street lights are beginning to light announcing the coming of dark. One of Luigi's waiters, Bepe, crosses to your table, and enquires if the food has been satisfactory. He says nothing but you get the feeling it would be apreciated if you were to leave the restaraunt so that he and the other waiter could begin getting ready for the evening rush.

As said earlier there is a small but comfortable looking hotel a few hundred yards down the road. The neon sign ouside announces 'vacancies'.
I have assumed that you are all taking rooms.
Ted Nelson (Ben),PLease make an[b] Idea roll[/b]

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 pm
by DrVendetta
Priest,I am assuming I already have a place to stay since I am assuming that I live here since I work here. Let me know if I would be wrong on that. Also I may know of a few local places to possibly recomend to the others if they are from out of town. Please let me know.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 pm
by Priest
Dr Vendetta,Okay you are set and you will know of suitable accomodation. Now,please roll [b]Idea[/b]

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget downs the remainder of her now-lukewarm coffee and begins to gather her things.

"Gentlemen," she announces, suddenly weary despite the strongly brewed coffee. "It's getting late. I suggest we find some accommodations and get settled in. If needs be, we could reconvene this evening?"

She stifles a yawn.

"Or perhaps tomorrow morning."

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:23 pm
by DrVendetta
Priest,idea chance = 65% roll = [dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, it was excellent," says Tony to Bepe. He finishes up the last of his pasta and then stands. "Yeah, let's get to the hotel."

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:27 am
by Priest
Bridget; Tony; Dr krugman & Francis,Please roll [b]Idea[/b]

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:41 am
by kabukiman

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:54 pm
by jbibblesworth
Something suddenly occurs to Bridget as she's readying herself to leave.
Spoiler:
Idea Roll Target 80% - 1d100 → [28] = (28)

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:32 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Having failed to find a phone in the restaraunt, "Maybe its time to go check into the hotel."
idea,target = 75%, [dice]0[/dice]
"On the other hand, I do have an idea."

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47 pm
by Priest
OOC:   The story continues here viewtopic.php?f=306&t=5166 but this chapter will stay open for a bit longer just in case.  

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can call Mrs. Chadwick from the hotel to fill her in and ask her our questions, if it's not too late at night," says Tony, unable to think of any better ideas.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:31 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: I instructed the petulant fellow at the Agency to make immediate arrangements for us. We should return to him first thing in the morning. He said it might be possible for us to fly to San Francisco. If we need to do that in order to catch the earliest available ship then we should do so. I'd suggest that you all make sure you have every thing you need, as we may need to leave fast. Did anyone notice what time the Agency opens in the mornings?

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Paul Wellington ought to know," says Tony. "He's been working there."

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:14 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman has no other idea http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4586758/