Page 1 of 1

Scene Five: Landfall in Japan

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:22 pm
by Priest
Scene Five: 'Landfall in Japan'

The five day trip across the Pacific is relatively uneventful. The sailors on the cargo ship you booked passage on mostly ignore you, except for a few dirty looks. At six AM on your sixth day out of San Francisco, you find yourselves being unceremoniously herded down a gangplank to the port city of Mito. Mito is a city in transition.
While great sections of the city have the traditional architecture and wide green spaces you associate with Japan’s classical period, there is construction going on all over the city. The port where you made landfall is quite modern, with huge steel cranes removing cargo from massive tankers and depositing them on the backs of flatbed trucks. There is a cluster of people at the bottom of the pier, several of whom begin shouting at you as you near the end of the gangplank.
The mob appears to be made up of taxi and truck drivers offering rides, a number of ragged beggars with their hands out, and three policemen who beckon you to come with them.

Re: Scene Five: Landfall in Japan

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"That was a nice vacation, but its time to get to work." Ted stretches standing on firm land for the first time in a week. "Everyone ready to go?"

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:25 am
by jbibblesworth
Bridget steps onto the gangplank behind Ted and observes the hoopla below.

"Police officers?" she ponders, "How'd they know we were coming?

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know, but I think we ought to go with them," says Tony. "I don't know if they know who we are. They may just have known a ship was due in and welcome all foreign visitors like this."

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:29 am
by kabukiman
-We should tell we are just tourist, who would love to visit such an exotic country.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:38 pm
by jbibblesworth
In lieu of any better plans, Bridget strides down the remainder of the gangway and approach the officers. She clutches her passport at her breast, hoping to clearly identify herself as an American citizen.

She looks to the nearest officer and nearly has to shout over the cacophony of voices.

"I don't suppose any of you speak English?" she asks loudly.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:19 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Hopefully they do, if not Paul can translate for us. What can we do for you officers?" Ted chimes in.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:57 am
by DrVendetta
Paul moves a bit closer to the front of the group so he can hear better. He is a bit amazed and in disbelief that he is actually stepping into Japan. He tries to take in some of the Japanse that is being shouted at them to so how good his Japanse truely is in Japan.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:32 am
by Priest
As you make your way down the gangplank the unifomed men walk towards you. They pass, with ease, through the crowd of beggars and taxi drivers etc. And you can tell from the expressions on the faces of the assemblage that these police are not to be trifled with. Maybe it is the long nightsticks they swing as they walk or the large pistol holsters they wear on their belts.
As the approach Paul notices the armbands they wear. To most of you the symbols written there are so much gobble de gook, however Paul, hisses, "Customs".

The lead customs officer, probably the one in charge, stops just before you his stance the wide legged hands on hips pose adopted by officials the world over.
For a moment he eyes you, eyes full of open contempt, then he holds one white gloved hand, demandingly, "Papers!!" he barks in his heavily accented English. It is not a polite request.

The other two officials step toward your luggage which is being wheeled down the gangplank by some of the boats crew. A few words are exchanged in Japanese, and the crew members stand aside allowing the customs officals access to your cases. Which with little formality, or regard for contents, they proceed to search.
Paul Wellington (Dr V),Please roll [b]Other Language (Japanese) + 20% [/b]
OOC:   Anyone carrying a gun or some other contraband (drugs) should roll Conceal to avoid detection  
Mr H,Sorry I didn't answer your request at scene four about searching the tree and contacting Mrs Chadwick. The tree revealed nothing out of the ordinary and ther was nothing else contained in the letter from Veronica.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget's face adopts a bright crimson hue at the sight of the uniformed officers rifling through her...ahem...unmentionables. She's fully aware that they'll find neither firearms nor narcotics among her belongings, though the embarrassment she's being subjected to makes her wish she had brought both.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:18 pm
by DrVendetta
Paul steps forward takes a small bow and politlely hands his papers over to the leader.
Priest,Japanse 40+20=60% chance [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:02 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
conceal,target = base chance, [dice]0[/dice]
Ted gives the police his passport, but the butt of his .38 flashes out for just a second. "Oh crap" he is thinking to himself, you're going to pick now to stick out.
priest,I'm trying to use psychology to see if I can read if these guys are just looking for a bribe or are they serious in what they are doing? Psych roll target = 50%, [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:56 pm
by Priest
Paul Wellington (Dr V),You overhear one of the customs officers order the crew to move away from the luggage. Then as they start to rifle through the individual cases you over hear a mixture of ribauld comments interspersed with laughter, especially it seems when Bridgett's case is being searched. You know that this is a calculated insult, that there is no reason why the luggage should be searched in full view of the assembled crowd. This laughter ceases abruptly when one of the gaurds pulls a pistol from the depths of one of the cases. Both of them turn and look towards your group...
As you approach the custom official he holds out his hand for your documents, "Papers" he again demands. It is possibly the only English word he knows.
Paul Worthington, with a polite bow, hands his passport over the Japanese official looks at it studies the photo for a few moments the hands it back. He turns to Ted Nelson and irritatedly snaps his fingers "Papers!!!". As Ted bends forward the meerest hint of his .38 is exposed. At this the Customs official bursts into a long stream of Japanese as he snaps his pistol free of its holster and points it at Ted.
Ted Nelson (Ben),You think that trying a little bribery might not be a good idea in the present circumstances.
OOC:   Taking a liberty here but, the Japanese customs officer is shouting about Ted's gun he is basicaly telling you to stand very still or he will shoot  

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:10 am
by DrVendetta
Paul steps between the Leader and Ted and holds his hands up signaling the leader to stop and starts speaking to him in Japanse
Priest & any others who can speak Japanese in the group,[color=#0000FF]"Hold! We have not done anything wrong up to this point and you have no authority to go through our luggage out here in a public place in front of this crowd like this. Japan is suppose to be a country of honor, making jokes while going through our female companions personal items in public like this does not reflect well on you or your men as proffesionals. This is a clear insult to us as legal visitors to your country and I wish to take this up with your direct supervisor if this flagrent disrespect to us does not stop immediatley. We all have our papers to enter your great country and wish to do so. We will cooperate with great respect to you as proffesionals doing your job provided we are treated with the same respect in return."[/color] [b]Paul[/b] uses a calm but firm voice making direct eye contact with the Leader and also clearly letting him know that he understands what his men have been saying believeing that they would not be understood by anyone in there group.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:44 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Whoa, whoa," Ted raises his hands up defensively. "What is the problem?"

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:49 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman steps forward cautiously to reassure the customs men. He hopes that as a senior academic, his natural authoritative demeanor will impress them.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:29 pm
by Priest
The customs officer waves his type 94 8mm Nambu pistol from Ted to Paul to Professor Krugman and back again. From the set of his eyes you think he is going to fire he just hasn't chosen at who yet.

Before he has a chance to fire, a willowy, beautifull female, dressed in traditional Japanese costume calls from behind him in Japanese. What she says has an immediate effect as he lowers the pistol and turns. He answers, and she replies, her eyes downcast in a non-confrontational manner. You hear her mutter something about Americans. He laughs, puts away the pistol and turns back.
"Welcome Americans to the Empire of Nippon, your guns are confiscated. Please to hand them over" he holds out his hand while the other rests ominously on the butt of his pistol.
Paul Wellington,Allthough hard to keep pace with the speed of her words, it seems she had warned him that it was not in the Empires best interests to annoy the Americans.
The danger seeming to have passed, she approaches and with a smile introduces herself in perfect oxford English.
"My name is Jennifer Toganama a humble student at the university. It seems you have little understanding of Japanese culture. I am willing to act as your guide and translator while in Mito for the sum of $5 American a day"
She bows politely and waits for your reply.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:41 am
by DrVendetta
Paul looks Jennifer over, bowing slightly to her when she looks in his direction to show his appreciation for helping to defuse the situation.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 am
by jbibblesworth
Bridget composes herself and approaches the young woman, smiling graciously as she nears.

"Thank you Jennifer." she says, trying to subtly coax the woman away from the nearby customs officers. "It would seem we're in need of some local expertise.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Tony also bows slightly to Jennifer. "Yes, thank you Miss Toganama," he says, tipping his hat. "I'm glad for your help too, and that sounds like a reasonable offer. I'm Tony Esposito."

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:27 am
by kabukiman
Francis takes his hat to show his respect, will mumble "madam" but won't bow.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:43 pm
by Priest
Jennifer returns the bows, "The first thing is that I must apologise for the rudeness of the officers, especially to you madame"
She turns to where a tattoed crew member is stuffing female attire back into a case.
"Foreigners are barely tolerated in Imperial Japan, and a special dislike is reserved for Americans and British, whom they see as arrogant and ill mannered" She smiles at you, "But I told them that they should be above such petty displays given their position"
Again she bows, this time towards the hovering customs officer, and says something in Japanese, before turning back towards you.
"I asked him to forgive you for your lack of knowledge concerning guns and Japanese law. It seems that he is satisfied that you have all been humiliated enough, so they will confiscate the weapons and leave. So how can I assist you?"
Paul Wellington,You can confirm that she did indeed say that with a few extra words such as 'ignorant', 'disrespectfull' and 'foreign devils' and you guess she wasn't referring to the officials.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:42 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"Thanks ma'am much obliged." Ted says, tipping his had towards the young lady with a nod of his head. "I hate giving up my pistol, I feel a bit naked out here now. Where we are going might be considered a bit dangerous, don't you want to know what you're signing up for?"

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:24 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Indeed, er, Miss. We are most honoured to make your acquaintance. (He attempts to replicate the polite half-bow.)

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 pm
by Priest
Jennifer acknowledges the bow from the professor and the polite gesture from Ted. She smiles to you both, a charming smile that makes her eyes light up in a most delighful way.
"Thank you, honourable sirs, you will find that here in Japan there is little need of pistols as we are not afflicted by Gangsters as in the USA. But you speak of danger, why and where are you headed?"

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:40 pm
by DrVendetta
Paul looks around at everyone who is still standing fairly close and watching this situation and suggest after recieving his papers back from the lead custom's official "Maybe we could find a more private place to carry on this conversation"

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:41 pm
by kabukiman
Francis mumbles to himself:
"They insult us, they treat us like criminals and say we are arrogant? Those guys don't have a mirror?"

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:36 pm
by Priest
Jennifer nods at Paul's suggestion, and politely ignores the grumbling Francis,
"Of course, there is a small but comfortable tavern a few minutes from here. I am sure that we can talk more easily there"

The customs officials having handed back your papers are starting to move towards a small hut on the dockside. With their departure the crowd of beggars are beginning to shuffle towards you, hands held out in the universal sign for money.
Towards the back of the crowd a chap dressed in a once white linen jacket with a New York taxi drivers cap perched on his head is waving with one hand while pointing with the other towards an ancient looking Model T cab.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:18 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: A tavern? Oh dear! I thought Japan, if anything was renowned for its TEA... Oh well...

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe they have tea in taverns in Japan," says Tony.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:05 pm
by Priest
Jennifer laughs, a sound that enhances her appeal, "Of course a tea shop if you prefer. I thought that being American you might like something more American. Either way I think it best we procur a Taxi" she nods towards the approaching crowd of beggars and sellers of curios.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Not all Americans are savages you know my dear... Just most of them. (He makes the nearest thing he can to a smile.)

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:01 am
by DrVendetta
Paul, carrying his bag, continues to follow Jennifer taking in all that he can see and hear. He is still beside himself that he has finally followed through on his dream of visiting foriegn exotic lands.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"I can pass on the tea, after that ship ride, I need something a little stiffer, its good to be on dry land." Ted waves at a taxi, ignoring the beggers around him, but also making sure his wallet is safe.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd rather go to the tavern myself, too," says Tony, collecting his luggage and heading with the others to the assembled taxicabs. "It'll be nice to just walk into a place and buy a drink for a change. Back in the States, you can still get it, but it's more expensive and not as good, and you have to go through all this rigamarole."

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:40 am
by kabukiman
Francis pay attention to the details near him. He is already thinking about a book with beggars full of deformities that may transform themself in something else.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:36 am
by Priest
With the demure form of Jennifer leading the way, and showing a determined roughness as she forces her way through the ever increasing throng, you make your way over to the taxi. And with your luggage safely aboard, you, somewhat cramped, suddenly find yourselves driven at a breakneck speed along the dockside, up a narrow side street into a road cammed with vehicles of all shapes and sizes.
The driver pulls down his window and spits a stream of Japanese, which Paul assures you is not to be translated in front of ladies, and bullies his way forward.
Eventually he stops outside a wooden building that bears a small sign of a willow tree.
"Ah" says Jennifer already turning the door handle to escape the confined space of the taxi, "We are here."
As you begin to exit the cab, she smiles, "Gentlemen, although here in Japan this is a tavern, you may find it unlike any tavern you have visited in America"

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Well I'll say! And that was certainly unlike any ride I've experienced in America.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:55 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget exits the cab and keeps pace with Jennifer, completely uninterested in the tavern.

"Jennifer, do you know anything about the Aokigahara forest?" she inquires.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 pm
by Priest
Jennifer smiles and bows slightly at the older woman, "Ah Miss Barrett... it is nothing more than a forest on the slopes of Fujiama"

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:01 am
by DrVendetta
Paul stops as he gets out of the cab and looks around to see if everone else is going to drag there luggae into the tavern, he knows that they are going to stick out like sore thumbs in here, weather or not they are dragging there luggae in with them or not. He is quite suprised that Bridget just jumps right into everything so quickley with Jennifer, he would have gotten to know Jennifer a little better before jumping into the conversation about the forest.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"There are drivers in Boston who are worse than that," Tony tells the professor. "Well, I'm looking forward to trying some saki. It's wine made from rice."

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:09 am
by kabukiman
-Miss, is this place visited by turists?

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:29 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
Ted grabs his one bag, he's use to living on the road and knows less is more when it comes to travelling. Still pissed he had to give up his pistol. That thing had saved his life at least once before. But he wasn't sure it would be any good against the ghosts they were chasing.
"A saki sounds good to me right now."

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:39 am
by Priest
Bridget Barrett (pb),Please make an Idea Roll - 10%

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:50 pm
by jbibblesworth
Something occurs to Bridget.
Spoiler:
IDEA - 80% - 1d100 → [25] = (25)

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:40 am
by Priest
Bridget Barrett (Jb),How did Jennifer know your name?

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:35 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget nods at Jennifer's perfunctory explanation and proceeds in silence towards the Tea House. But as they approach, a bud of disquiet takes root in her brain. How on Earth did Jennifer know her name? She's quite certain that she never uttered it aloud. She had been so shaken up by the crude custom officials that she had entirely eschewed Ms. Post's most basic tenets.

Her brow furrows slightly and she casts a sideways glance towards their hostess, but decides to bring it up to Tony as soon as discretion allows.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:19 pm
by DrVendetta
As Paul grabs his bag and turns to follow the others in he looks at the front of the Tavern reading any signage on it.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:06 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson (Ben),As you begin to relax following the run in with customs, and the loss of your .38. Something begins to gnaw at your mind. PLease roll [b]Know[/b].
Paul Wellington (dr V),The signage suggests nothing more then the name of the Tavern,a collection of notices one of which is advertising a talk on the reasons why it is Japan's duty to bring China into the imperial embrace. The talk is being given by a Doctor Nikawa and will take place in the National Conference centre Mito on Thursday next.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:08 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
know,target = 80%, [dice]0[/dice]
Obviously the long boat trip and the thought of alcohol have clouded Ted's mind.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:16 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson (Ben),Try a [b]Luck Roll[/b].

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:18 pm
by BenTheRat
Luck,target = 55, [dice]0[/dice]
So while Ted's head is clouded with thoughts of geesha girls and saki, Lady Luck is still smiling down on him.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson (Ben),Despite your lightheadedness something is nagging at your thoughts. You can't get your head around how easily Jennifer seemed to deal with the customs officials. In your experience officials dont usually back away from confrontation that readily, no matter how pretty the civillian.
The door to the tavern opens into a pleasant, comfortable looking room, although the low seats look somewhat challenging.
Jennifer points to a corner table.
"Please take seats there, I will summon a waitress" As good as her word she raises a finger and speaks a few words of Japanese.
Within moments you find yourselves the centre of attention both by the serving staff and the few other customers, who shoot the occasional glance in your direction.
"What would you like to drink?" stutters a kimono clad witress in her struggling English.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:52 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: I am so glad you asked! Tea of course... erm if you'd be so kind. And then to Jennifer: Now Miss, this forest. Would you know how travelers might reach the place, or how long such a journey would take?

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd like saki, please," says Tony, eager to broaden his horizons.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:10 am
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"I'll take a Saki also." Ted tilts his hat back, then looks over at his hostess, "Just who the hell are you Jennifer? And how did you get the customs guys to back off so easily. I'm smelling something fishy and it isn't the sushi."

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:37 am
by kabukiman
Francis is listening, but doesn't aprove this action. If the scene in the port was just an act to gain their trust, it means she can simply leave them alone to less subtle aproach from who prepared this.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:24 pm
by Priest
Jennifer continues to smile in that innocent manner which she adopted when speaking to the customs offical, "Honourable Professor Krugman, I presume you are referring to this Aokigahara forest that Miss Barrett was asking about. As I told the honourable lady, I know it is simply a forest at the base of mount Fuji."
She watches as the waitress departs to bring the order, "Other than that I know of nothing special about the forest. As to how long it would take to reach the forest from here, I have no idea but I would imagine it to be no more than a few hours by train"

With tiny deliberate movements she takes a seat at one end of the table, as far from Ted Nelson as possible. She turns towards him and you notice that the smile no longer extends to her eyes, "I am just a humble student at the university trying to get by through acting as guide and interpreter to foreign travelers such as yourselves. I simply reminded the customs officer of the Imperial edict concerning behaviour towards foreign visitors, especially Americans such as yourselves. If I have offended you or my assistance has not met your requirements. I shall leave immediately." She rises from her seat...

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:04 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget watches the dramatics unfold and makes no motion to stop Jennifer, assuming one of the others will act to do so. Instead, she uses the opportunity to lean in close to Tony and whisper discreetly in his ear.

"Tony, something isn't exactly jake about our fearless guide." she whispers, "She knew my name. I never told it to her. She knew it from the get-go. Doesn't that seem odd to you?"

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:08 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted picks up the Saki but holds it not drinking it, "Your not going anywhere sister till we get some answers. I may be just some private dick from New York, but you're a lot more than you are saying." Ted puts the Saki up to his lips but brings it back down, "Now spill the beans sweetheart."
ooc,trying to read her reactions to both what he is saying and him about to drink the Saki, in case its poisoned and she knows it. Psych roll 50%: [dice]0[/dice]
oh yea,that I believe is what you call a CRIT success, I can read her like an open book.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:53 pm
by Priest
Jennifer, having risen from her seat, looks toward Ted. Although the smile remains she looks far from happy.
"Mr Nelson, I assure you that I am nothing more than a humble student, trying to earn a few coins on the side. Japanese culture and behaviour is totaly different to that of the USA, if my behaviour and that of the custom official seems strange it is little more than a cultural difference between us and you Americans"
She retakes her seat and turns to the professor as if signalling the end of the discussion,
"So, professor why is this forest of such importance to you and your friends?"
Ted Nelson,She makes no indication that anything is amiss with the saki. However you can tell that she is hiding something even though her expressions and demeanour give little away. She is very professional in her manner, reminds you of dealings you had in the past with operatives from the 'Bureau of Investigation'.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:34 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
He keeps pushing ignoring Jennifer's attempt to move on. "So how is it you knew my friend Bridgett's name if you're just a student. I'm thinking more like" and he lowers his voice, "Tokko." Ted leans back and tries the Saki, "Now tell me how wrong I am. And then tell me why your government has such an interest in our little group."
the duldrums of the sea voyage having long since passed with this new mystery on hand.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:17 am
by DrVendetta
Paul listens closely to the conversation totaly inthralled with the confrontation going on.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, that is hinky," Tony whispers back to Bridget. "Maybe she really does work for the Japanese government, sent to keep an eye on us."

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:29 am
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: Gentlemen please! I'm not sure it's necessary to speak to the young lady in such uncivilised tones. We need to visit the forest Miss, on a matter of primary research. Myths and Legends, that sort of thing. A lot of taste for it in American academic circles and I'm ready to begin a new book - you know, needs must, keep the wolf from the door and all that. When we've finished our drinks we should be very pleased if you could come with us to the railroad station, there to enquire about the necessary trains and help us to purchase the appropriate tickets .

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 pm
by Priest
Jennifer concentrates on the professor, keeping her face turned away from Ted so as not to have to answer him.
"Ah I see professor, but tell me what has this search for myths and legends has to do with this forest? There are, as far as Iknow, no legends attached to that part of Japan, unless of course you include Fujiama itself. But be careful, what you see as little more than quaint myths to regail American interests, are religious facts to us"
With this last sentence she turns to Ted as if directing the warning to him personaly.
"Of course if you are determined to waste your time and efforts, I cannot stop you. It will be my pleasure to escort you to the main railway station and put you safely aboard a train for...?"
Paul Wellington (Dr V),Please make a Spot Hidden +10.
Ted Nelson (Ben),Continuing your psychological study of the woman, it is obvious that she is pumping for information and has probably identified [b]Krugman[/b] as a good source.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:43 pm
by DrVendetta
Priest,spot hidden chance = 50 +10 = 60% chance [dice]0[/dice] so a success
Paul is still paying close attention to everything going on in the multiple conversations going on, while sipping on the water that he ordered.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:00 pm
by BenTheRat
Psych,target = 50%, [dice]0[/dice]
"Professor, I don't feel its uncivilized and don't get me wrong. I don't mind working with the Feds, as long as all of us are up front in what we want. Ms. Jennifer maybe a lot of things, and maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I get the feeling our tour guide and J. Edgars goons study from the same handbook." Ted finishes the Saki and shakes his head quick. "whew, thats good stuff, I'd like another round please," motioning to the waitress. "Professor, she's pumping you for information, you're just not seeing it."
Then talking to Jennifer, "Look, your good eye candy and I'm sure you can be a great help to us, but if you don't come clean, then please point us to the train depot and we will be on our way." Ted pauses for a second, "Or you can be honest for once and we can work together and just maybe help each other, instead of playing games."

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:48 pm
by Priest
Paul Wellington (Dr V),Even paying strict attention to the events unfolding around [b]Jennifer[/b] doesn't stop you from noticing a man dressed in a dark suit get up quickly from a nearby table. He pulls a fedora down upon his head as he flashes a quick glance at the under fire female. You cannot be sure but you think he raised a quizical eyebrow as he did so. Nor can you be certain, but you would swear[b] Jennifer[/b] made a slight shake of her head in reply. Whatever passed or didn't pass between them, he heads for the door. As it swings open to allow him an exit, you notice a long dark limousine outside.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:32 am
by DrVendetta
Paul starts speaking to Jennifer in Japanese
Priest,Quick question When did he stand up, where was the conversation at? Did it appear to be in reaction to the mention of the government or the forest? I am assuming that he was close enough to overhear the conversation let me know if he wasnt. Looking straight into [b]Jennifers[/b] eye's to help emphasize the seriousness in his voice [b]Paul[/b] says to [b]Jennifer[/b][color=#0000FF] "Look the game is up, you can let us know who you are working for and why and maybe we can come to an agreement that may benefit us both or I can just tell our friends here about the man you just gave the head shake too who walked out and got into the black limo"[/color] [b]Paul[/b] pauses for a moment to allow [b]Jennifer[/b] a moment to understand the importance of the next few sentences that are going to be coming out of her mouth. [b]Paul[/b] continues with the same hard look in his eyes as he continues [color=#0000FF]"Now if you do not trust everyone here at the table you can share it with just me in Japanese and I will ensure that it is retold to them in a way that they will believe and will protect you but the truth needs to start coming out now, and I would like it to start with who your friend was that just left"[/color]

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"She may be a spy," Tony whispers to Bridget, "but now that we know she's one, she's less dangerous to us. If we cut her loose, we won't know where she is or what she's up to, but if we keep her close, we can keep an eye on her while she watches us. Besides, we need someone with local knowledge and pull."

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget nods in agreement with Tony's summation and then makes a broad, inclusive gesture for peace at the table.

"Fellas please!" she implores, giving them a jaw-clenched nod that accompanies an overly tight smile. "I'm certain we're just misinterpreting Jennifer's intentions. We've had a long trip overseas, we're in a different timezone, and in an unfamiliar land. I'm certain we're all just a bit nerve-shot. Yes, that's surely what it is!"

She turns to Jennifer and waits for her to conclude her conversation with Paul. She's quietly impressed with the somewhat stilted, but functional Japanese that comes pouring out of the young man's mouth. Her cheeks get a bit warm and she flips open her compact and dabs her face with powder to avoid anyone noticing.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:22 pm
by Priest
Paul Wellington (Dr V),The guy stood up at the mention of the government. And he was close enough to possibly have overheard the conversation. [b]Jennifer[/b] looks at you making it obvious that she understands your Japanese. At mention of the guy who just left her left eye twitches very slightly, in a poker game this would be the tell.
Jennifer, stress beginning to show on her face, looks with relief toward Bridget, "Thank you"

"You are correct Mr Nelson" she smiles, "The game is, as you would say, up. I do indeed work for the Imperial government in a small capacity. It is my task to befriend any visiting foreigners, and find out if they bear any threat to our society. Having come to a conclusion it was my task to pass on these conclusions to my superiors who would then act accordingly. You will be happy to nknow that I quickly came to the conclusion that you represented no threat to our nation, you are most certainly innocent travellers, or the most inept spies I have ever seen"
She smiles at everyone around the table hoping that no one take insult at her description.
"The gentleman who just left is one of my superiors, I indicated that there was nothing to concern him...Now this forest, why do you wish to go there, you do not look like botanists"
She laughs gently and picks up her tea to cover her embarassment.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:39 pm
by BenTheRat
"I apologize then if we got you in trouble with your supervisor. We are not spies, we have been hired to find a young girl." Ted drinks down his 2nd Saki and shakes his head. "I could get use to this. Anyway, the girls name is Veronica Chadwick,"
and he shows her the picture of Veronica. "Perhaps you also greeted her at the docks when she came in? We have reason to believe she is heading for the forest and might possibly harm herself. We just want to bring her home to her aunt who can make sure she gets the care she needs." .
Psych,another one to see if she is still lying. 50%: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:36 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman glances at Ted, VERY unsure as to whether or not it was wise to reveal that information.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Do we have a photograph of [b]Veronica[/b]?

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:41 am
by BenTheRat
ooc,I am pretty sure we got one from the aunt.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:40 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Yes you have a photograph of Veronica.  
Ted Nelson (Ben),As far as you can tell she is telling the truth.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

Tony takes out the photo of Veronica that Mrs. Chadwick had given them and shows it to Jennifer. "Have you seen her before?" he asks.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:44 pm
by Priest
Jennifer stares for a few moments at the black and white phot of Veronica Chadwick,
"Nice looking girl. The kind of face you would remember, and yes I do recall her a while back looking to get a train to the village of Naushau as I recall. I told her there is no direct train, she would have to take one to the last stop on the Joban line and then a bus to the village."

Her brow furrows, "I asked her why she would want to go to such a place. She muttered something about meeting someone, who she didn't say. I put her on the train myself. She struck me as a very confused individual, spoke excellent Japanese, though a very stilted almost archaic form, odd for an American"

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"She has been acting very oddly the past several weeks," says Tony. "We'll need to follow in her footsteps to Naushau, and beyond. We have reason to believe she went to the Aokigahara Forest from there, which is why we're interested in it. Do you know how long ago she left for Naushau?"

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:35 am
by Priest
Jennifer turns to Tony,
"Hmm, five days ago. She traveled on the 09:30 train from the central station"
OOC:   It is now 08:15 local time  

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Tooy checks his watch. "Then we'd better leave soon if we're going to catch the 9:30 train today," he says.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:06 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted Nelson
"5 days huh, we are catching up the. Perhaps you'd like to come with us on our Journey Jennifer?" Ted finishes his last Saki and a couple bites of Sushi that was on the platter. "How far to the train station from here?"

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:19 pm
by Priest
Jennifer stands and bows politely from the waist, "The station is no more than ten minutes by taxi. Sadly my duties keep me here, but in Mr Wellington you have an excellent translator. But one word of warning, remember that Japanese people are not used to American brashness"

She moves towards the door.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman: "Even some of we Americans never get use to American brashness. I'm afraid. One last question... this village... Naushau. What sort of a place it it? Anything at all that you might know would be helpful."

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:23 am
by Priest
Jennifer halts in her progress towards the door, and replies to Professor Krugman without turning, "Other than allowing a spendid view of Fujiama and being close to the magnificent lake Saiko...No it is merely a village. Why it should be a location of special choice, I have no idea"

She continues to the door, she places a hand on its handle and turns it, "Oh, one last word though, take care"
With that she opens the door and is gone into the busy street outside.

OOC:   You may all make Psychology Rolls if you choose. Ben has no need his critical roll earlier is still covering him  

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:31 pm
by BenTheRat
"Interesting lady there, sorry if I seemed a bit brash there, I don't abide lies", Ted fills up his plate and kicks back to enjoy the meal. "I think we got time to finish lunch if the station is only 10 minutes away."

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:12 pm
by Priest
Ted Nelson (Ben),It takes a moment in which time she is gone, but you get the feeling she was keeping something back. The final warning hinted at something more.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:16 pm
by jbibblesworth
Bridget gathers her clutch and rises from the table as their hostess departs.

"Well gents, we'd best not waste any time!" she chirps, already striding towards the door. "I'll see if I can't hail a taxi for us."

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm
by PatGrillo
Professor Krugman tries to fathom the situation. Psycology 1d100=35Target 60%

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:15 pm
by Priest
Professor Krugman,You get the feeling that [b]Jennifer[/b] knew more than she was letting on.
OOC:   The story continues here viewtopic.php?f=306&t=5212 However I shall leave this topic open for a bit as needed  

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm
by BenTheRat
Ted finishes his meal and pays, being sure to keep the receipt for Ms. Chadwick, then goes to the train for the trip to the village.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Tooy has absolutely no idea what makes Jennifer tick. Then again, he can't understand why women in general act the way they do.