IC-Ep 3-Escape From Dunwich(Elliot Webb/Valerie Soames)

Elliot and Valerie Soames set out to rescue Dr. Kirby, while Salem and Raymond MacIntyre remain on the beach and the rest of the UNIT team helps Story and his companions recover the TARDIS.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Escape From Dunwich(Elliot Webb/Valerie Soames)

Post by Mr. Handy »

As Elliot ran the rest of the way to the wall, Dr. Kirby tried to scale it, but she couldn't make any headway.
OOC,[b]Elliot[/b], you're getting a little ahead of yourself. It takes you one round to reach the wall, during which time [b]Valerie Soames[/b] gets a chance to climb it. [b]Valerie[/b], please go ahead and roll Climb now if you wish. On the following round, [b]Elliot[/b] may either fire, try to climb the wall, or try to help someone else climb, but only one of those. He may fire twice. The range will be forty yards, which means the roll will be at 1/4 skill. The 11 will just barely miss for the first shot, but you'll also get a second shot next round if you fire. If you do, please let me know which of the men you're shooting at, and feel free to roll damage if you hit.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

OOC,Do you want to take the 84 as my climb roll - it would seem to fit in with my 'advanced years' were I to fail. Or you could take this one - a success, if only just lol [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4372796/]Valerie Soames Climb roll 36/40% (1d100=36) - success[/url]
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It had been decades, but Valerie Soames's SOE training came back to her, and she managed to climb up and reach the top of the wall just as Elliot arrived at the bottom. The three men were running towards them, but they were still about forty yards off.
OOC,[b]Elliot[/b], you may now act. If you fire, your roll of 11 counts for your first shot, and you may also fire a second one. If you choose instead to try to climb the wall, you may roll Climb. Or you may try to help [b]Dr. Kirby[/b] over the wall. [b]Valerie Soames[/b], you may act freely this round. You can lower yourself to the ground on the other side if you wish without rolling anything, or you may try to help [b]Dr. Kirby[/b] climb up. Either of you may of course try something else if you have other ideas.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc,sorry, wasn't sure.
"Your turn Dr. Kirby." Elliot helps Dr. Kirby over the wall.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Valerie Kirby, with a terrified expression on her face, kept trying to scramble up the wall, but panic made it difficult.

The three men kept running closer. They were now thirty yards away.
OOC,[b]Valerie Soames[/b], if you also help [b]Valerie Kirby[/b] climb the wall, please make a Resistance Table roll pitting your and [b]Elliot[/b]'s combined STR scores of 13 against her SIZ of 10. This gives you a 65% chance. If you succeed, she will reach the top of the wall. If you fail, she makes no progress. [b]Elliot[/b], if she does something else, you will need to make the Resistance Table roll, but you will not add [b]Valerie[/b]'s STR to your own, giving you just a 50% chance. Regardless of the outcome, you may then act first in the following round. The men are now at the range where your Handgun skill is only halved if you fire at them, in which case that 11 would hit one of them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

handy,I think its been too long, I was throwing the 11 away. . Strength roll in case Soames at the top of the wall isn't going to help. target = 50: [dice]0[/dice] . I think Dr. Kirby is cursed, or I'm majorly in love and can't do anything right around her. WOW!!
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Valerie S. reaching down to help the other Valerie climb the wall. 62/65% (1d100=62) Success - unless Elliott's fumble affects the score of course

I lay the gun down on the top of the wall and reach down and call out for Valerie Kirby to grab my hand. "Here Dr. Kirby, grab my hand and I'll try and help you up." I attempt to pull her up but my strength is not what it used to be I'm afraid.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elliot pulled a muscle as he tried to hoist Valerie Kirby up the wall, and she fell on top of him before she could grasp Mrs. Soames's hand. They landed in a heap on the ground, and it took them several precious seconds to regain their feet. In that time, the three men continued running closer, and they were now just twenty yards away.
OOC,Only one roll was supposed to be made, and either of you could have made the roll, so I'm afraid I'll have to count the first one. That fumble will also cost [b]Elliot[/b] his action for this round. [b]Elliot[/b] never did pass the gun to [b]Valerie[/b], as the things he had planned to do at that point never happened. [b]Valerie[/b], it is now your turn to act, and then [b]Elliot[/b] may act.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As Elliot reaches the wall and reaches down, a pain shoots up his leg. Ignoring the pain, he tries to lift Dr. Kirby up, but it was too much and the hamstring gives out. With a scream Elliot grabs his leg and falls to the ground.
He slowly climbs to his feet seeing the men closing in on him. Was there anyway to get over the wall at this point? Getting Dr.Kirby out was all that is on his mind.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I reach down and shout out "Dr. Kirby - grab my hand quickly! Don't Panic dear, but I do wish you would hurry nontheless." as I try to anchor myself on top of the wall.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Valerie desperately tried to get up the wall, but she still wasn't making enough progress. The men kept running closer, and they cleared half the distance. They were now just ten yards off.

"Stop!" commanded the gardener. "Drop your weapon!"
OOC,[b]Elliot[/b] or [b]Valerie[/b], whichever of you posts first, please make another Resistance Table roll of your combined STR score of 13 against her SIZ of 10, which gives you a 65% chance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Valerie Soames' roll Vs resistance 60/65% - success o/ (1d100=60)

Reaching down to the flailing doctor, my words seem to calm her a little and she manages to grasp my hand and I try to pull her up. The strain in my joints is excruciating and I cry out in pain as my arthritic elbow seems to give me the majority of the pain, but with good fortune she manages to ascend the wall to the top.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Valerie Kirby strained and grasped Valerie Soames by the hand. It took all of their efforts and Elliot's to boost her up, but the doctor managed to swing her leg over the top of the wall at last. Elliot was left alone at the base of the wall.
OOC,[b]Elliot[/b], it is your turn to act now. If you wish to fire, you will get one shot off before the three men get to shoot. This is normal range, so you'd use your unmodified skill. If you want to try to climb the wall, please make a Climb roll. If you do anything besides surrender or shoot, please make a Dodge roll as well in case the first shot at you is accurate.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Elliot does a quick head count and does not like the odds in a gun fight. 3 vs 1 isn't what he calls a winning formula. So he attempts to climb the wall. "Get her out of here. I'll catch up." Knowing full well if he doesn't make it over the wall now, he may never make it.
OOC:   climb wall: target = 65% here goes nothing. [dice]0[/dice]  
ooc,hopefully not jumping too far ahead here.
Having made it to the top, Elliot looks back in time to see the men take a shot.
OOC:   dodge attempt: target = 43%: [dice]1[/dice]  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

As Elliot began to scale the wall, the men opened fire! Fortunately, they all missed badly, and he was able to vault over the rim of the wall and let himself down the other side before any of them could fire a second shot. Valerie Kirby lowered herself down by her arms on the outer side of the wall and dropped to the ground next to him, exhaling with relief. The old Ford Model T was still parked where they had left it, at the edge of the road.
OOC,Gardener's Shotgun roll (30% base skill) shooting at [b]Elliot[/b]. [dice]0[/dice] Second man's Handgun roll (20% base skill) shooting at [b]Elliot[/b] with a .38 revolver. [dice]1[/dice] Third man's Handgun roll (20% base skill) shooting at [b]Elliot[/b] with a .45 automatic. [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Having seen Valerie Kirby start to lower herself down and realising that Elliott's words rung true about getting the target away being the principal aim, I reluctantly swing my legs over and try to lower myself down the far side. "Quickly now - the old Ford should get us away without too much trouble."
OOC:   If there are any other cars around I suggest that Elliott disables them somehow - but quickly if not we'll all pile into my trust old Teresa (my name for the car) and fire her up and away we jolly well go. Any rolls needed Mr H?  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Vaulting to the ground, Elliot looks around for any other cars as Ms. Soames suggests, and help Dr. Kirby into the car.
ooc,it was a deserted road, so I don't think there are any. If so, I'll quickly shoot out 1 tire on them.
"Time to leave ladies," and with that Elliot fires up the Ford and off we go.
ooc,considering the number of bad rolls I had in that place, either I did everything exactly right, got horribly lucky or you were just nice. Either way, I thought Elliot was a goner.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Valerie Kirby got into the back seat, while Elliot got behind the wheel and Valerie Soames also got into the car. Elliot started the Ford, and it ran smoothly, though it couldn't go very fast. There were no other vehicles visible nearby, though there had been a car further back up the road the way they had come, near the ruins and Virgil Soames's cottage. They followed the road southwest. A short distance ahead the road merged with another one going north and southwest.

Dr. Kirby leaned back and sighed with relief. "Thank you so much," she said. "I was afraid I'd never get out of there. We have to get back to UNIT so I can report to the Brigadier. Once he hears what I have to say, he'll need to organise the troops and move in on Dunwich."
OOC,You did do a lot of things right, and on top of that you were very lucky at the end there to make up for the bad luck you had earlier, plus you had the right talents for the job. I'd thought [b]Elliot[/b] had a good chance of being captured or killed, but it made sense that he would be willing to sacrifice himself to make sure [b]Dr. Kirby[/b] got out. [b]Valerie[/b], you may either sit in the shotgun seat up front or in the back with [b]Dr. Kirby[/b]. Both of you, please roll Navigate and Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   navigate = 10: [dice]0[/dice]

spot hidden = 60: [dice]1[/dice]  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elliot Webb,[b]Elliot[/b] gathered that the road to the north probably went back towards Dunwich and that London was far to the southwest, but he was unfamiliar with this area and he had no maps.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 3”