The Journey Into the Frozen Wilds

It’s Monday, August 19, 1991. Yesterday, Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev was removed from office in a coup arranged by hard-line communists in his government.

Protests against the coup are breaking out across the Soviet Union. Nationalist insurgents in the various Soviet republics are declaring independence from the illegitimate “State Committee for the State of Emergency.”

The Investigators are members of a Soviet Spetsnaz, or Special Purposes Forces, unit. They were selected for this elite military service due to their political reliability and physical fitness. After intense training and as much as two years of service in Afghanistan, they are hardened combat veterans. Many suspect that the coup plotters intend to use Spetsnaz units to bully the opposition into line. However, fate has intervened and the Investigators’ Spetsnaz unit has been kicked out of bed for a less political, but even more pressing, assignment

Moderator: Cearlan

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: The Journey Into the Frozen Wilds

Post by Mr. Handy »

Viktor listens to the transmission intently, and he does not notice much else.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Melnikov seems to listen to the broadcast, shrugs as it is terminated, and begins another check of the firing action of Lara. Making sure that every working part is moving easily and is free of dust or excessive oil.
Cearlan,House moving Thursday 13th, so access to computerlost for a few days. Please use Melnikov as deemed nescessary.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Korovin doesn't hear anything.

OOC: I had a problem with my computer, but the roll in the invisible castle was a fail, you can trust me :D
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

About five minutes after the end of the end of the radio transmission, you hear the voice of Lt. General Suslin. This is the very same officer who initially briefed them on White 36, the very same officer who acted like a maniac when he sent the men aboard the Mi-26 helicopter to their deaths amid a flurry of threats and obscenities. His voice is so calm and controlled, that you find it oddly a bit disconcerting, especially after the passion and energy of the previous broadcast.

“Kapitain Koslov. This is Lt. General Suslin. You are to disregard the broadcast you just received and proceed with your mission as briefed. The broadcast was a disinformation action by enemies of the Soviet Union. The Motherland is depending on you. Do not fail.”
OOC:   I hope the move goes without a hitch Priest ... I'll look after your investigators.  
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

He didn't mention what the people who shut the broadcast down said afterwards, Viktor thinks. Would the Americans really be crazy enough to try that? I've heard rumors that they've been working on weather control technology...
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

What enemies?- thinks Korovin. And is this situation mission when there are problems in the capital just a coincidence, or are send to the north to avoid that we will be used some other place?.
But he says nothing.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The nature of the terrain means that the trail you must follow is not a straight lline and there are many dead ends that your convoy goes into necessitating having to double back and move further round to the East before proceeding North once more. As you do manage to make some headway you notice the Storm getting worse as you get further North.
OOC:   Listen rolls please at +15%
If you pass,Whether or not it is your fevered imaginations or as a direct result of the radio transmission you start to hear howling sounds echo all around your convoy at intermittent times.

Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Korovin listens very well whateaver is the sound...

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4430744/
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

About two thirds of the soldiers and scientists in the three vehicles hear the sounds of howling and the tension in the enclosed confines of the MT-LBV passenger compartment increases. The howling, or is it simply the wind, increases in duration. whilst all the time increasing and decreasing in audibility.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Kadael »

Kriptoshenko is very disconcerted by what he hears. It sounds like terrible anguish to his ears.
Keeper,Sorry for lagging behind. I'll try to do better.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Listen 62+15= 77%,[dice]0[/dice]
Kozlov is gazing out the window as the caravan slowly makes its way towards the objective. His mind sorting out all the distractions, Americans spies, crazy orders, superweapons,...it was always the same, wasn't it? There was only one thing a soldier could do, however.

He picked up the radio set and switched to the channel that connected the three vehicles.

"Don't be frightened by the wind, men, we are Spetsnaz!Don't be concerned about the cold, are we not men of Russia? The frozen wastes of Siberia are in our blood. Let it be your armour, not your weakness!"

He clears his throat,

"Keep a tight formation! Now let's finish what we started with, we can came here to secure the site, and no amount of rumours are radio broadcasts is going to stop that!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

After driving all night, just as dawn's rays illuminate the sky a rosy pink, though you cannot see any of that through the swirling snow and ice which now has visibility down to a mere 50 yards at best. All you can see is the light start to slightly improve as you continue to advance.

The radio crackles into life once more as Babenko's bleary voice comes across. "Comrade Kapitan, I believe we are here. There is a rusty barbed wire fence in front of us with what looks like another fence inside it. The outer fence is about eight feet high and there are ragged shapes that see to be clothing of some description strewn all over it.

I cannot imagine anything else being out here being fortified so. On the inner fence there seems to be the outline of what could be guard towers on either side of where we are. Wait - there is a third fence I can see just inside the second fence. I estimate there is about twenty metres between the outer fence and the middle fence and maybe ten metres between the middle and inner fences. I think I can see indistinct shapes further in, but I cannot be sure what they are or give any distances. I will await your further orders beside the fence comrade Kapitan."

The three MT-LBV's line up next to each other and Babenko is already outside standing beside the fence, his hands shielding his eyes as he peers intently into the distance beyond the fences. He stands beside a fence post and as you approach he points out a rusty sign which reads as follows;
"CORRECTIVE LABOUR CAMP 234
OFF LIMITS
AUTHORISED PERSONNEL ONLY"
The fence goes off to what you read from your compass as being roughly north-west to south east as far as you can see in this weather. The fence is as described by Babenko and tatters of clothing are being blown around what you can see of the compound.
OOC:   Spot Hidden and listen rolls please. Listen at +30%  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"Let's go have a look."

Kozlov gets out of the vehicle and joins up with Babenko.

"What are you thinking?", he asks as he peers into the storm.

Spot hidden-65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen-92%,[dice]1[/dice]
Last edited by DrPeterson on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Kadael »

I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Whoever is standing on the right will notice, when the wind seems to die for a second or two, that there seems to be a corner off to the South East of where you stand. The wind howls, or at least you hope it is the wind. Otherwise there is only the flapping of the tattered clothing snared on the barbed wire fence.

Those peering ahead notice the shapes seem to be piles of something irregular but buried in the snow.

It is very unsettling that all you can hear, that there is no sound other than wind and the flapping clothing. If you listen closely you can just hear the sound of the wind whistling through what you think could be a tall structure, maybe a radio mast.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There are some things buried in the snow ahead," reports Viktor. He peers through his scope to get a better look at them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper