The Prologue - Background

It’s Monday, August 19, 1991. Yesterday, Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev was removed from office in a coup arranged by hard-line communists in his government.

Protests against the coup are breaking out across the Soviet Union. Nationalist insurgents in the various Soviet republics are declaring independence from the illegitimate “State Committee for the State of Emergency.”

The Investigators are members of a Soviet Spetsnaz, or Special Purposes Forces, unit. They were selected for this elite military service due to their political reliability and physical fitness. After intense training and as much as two years of service in Afghanistan, they are hardened combat veterans. Many suspect that the coup plotters intend to use Spetsnaz units to bully the opposition into line. However, fate has intervened and the Investigators’ Spetsnaz unit has been kicked out of bed for a less political, but even more pressing, assignment

Moderator: Cearlan

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: The Prologue - Background

Post by Kadael »

Keeper and Melnikov,[b]Kriptoshenko[/b] nods, looking up into [b]Teterev's[/b] eyes. He manages to crack a smile. [color=#008000]"You hear him, [b]Andrey?[/b] I'll keep the others safe from him, I promise."[/color] He stands, and his face hardens. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4412459/]He's done all he can,[/url] and he trusts [b]Teterev[/b] to do the same. The mission must be completed.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Comrades, I see a drop of about a dozen feet past the doors," reports Viktor, "but it's hard packed snow and ice down there, not softer ground."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Melnikov flashes a grin towards the medic. He only follows orders if orders tell him to open fire, then open fire he will. There is no doubt that he enjoys being a soldier, but whether he ejoys it a little too much is something else. Admittedly he does get bored with just sitting around waiting, but then who doesn't.
Afghanistan was good, excitement has been limited of late. He nonchalantly strokes the butt of his machine gun, Lara, and the grin becomes a wolfish smile.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Kozlov,Your orders receive a quick nod in response from Chelovek [color=#0040FF]"Da Comrade Kapitan, as you request. We will wait six hours after you depart before I establish what contact I can."[/color]
Kriptoshenko,You leave Teterev and return to the rest of the remains of your company and report to Kapitan Kozlov.
Melnikov,This waiting around for something to happen is starting to grate upon your nerves, but the feel of Laura's butt reassures you slightly. You start to wonder when this mission is going to actually start.
Viktor,In your assessment, the drop onto the hard packed ice may damage the MT-LBV's on the way down, but it is do-able.
Korovin,Babenko sidles up beside you and says to you in a low voice. [color=#0040FF]"Comrade Korovin, your attention please. The Kapitan has instructed me to relay his orders which are as follows. You are to lay charges powerful enough to blow the rear cargo hatch so that we can proceed with the mission. Further to this ..."[/color] He looks around and drops his voice a little, laying his hand on your arm for emphasis. [color=#0040FF]"... You are then to place a further charge, surreptitiously, powerful enough to take the rest of the plane out so that we can safeguard the success of the mission. Make the second charge to detonate about two minutes after we all leave."[/color]
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we can still drop the MTs down to the ice," says Viktor. "There may be some damage, but it shouldn't be too bad."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Korovin,Nicolay is listening thinking that maybe he didn't hear well... but he nods. He looks at his comrades with sadness and starts doing his work. Whateaver is this mission, he hopes it is worth the life of so many good people.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Kozlov nods at Viktor's statement.

"Good, once the hatch is blown I want those Emtees out of here in quick succession. If we can leave the plane with enough velocity, we might minimize damage. Start boarding once Korovin has set his charges and make sure the scientists are properly strapped in."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Korovin,Can I have two [b]demolitions [/b]rolls please - your skill is 75% It will take you some time to lay the charges, especially the final one, so you will probably be in the last MT-LBV out.

Korovin sets to laying the charge to open the cargo doors whilst Babenko, quickly and efficiently goes about starting to allot people to the surviving MT-LBV's. Unfortunately, when the vehicles are fired up, you find one has a nearly empty fuel tank, so the soldiers, scientists and Spetsnaz are spread amongst the other three as follows;

MT-LBV one
4 Scientists
3 General Soldiers
Six Spetsnaz (Babenko plus five others)

MT-LBV two
4 Scientists
3 General Soldiers
Six Spetsnaz

MT-LBV three
4 Scientists
3 General Soldiers
Six Spetsnaz (Kozlov, Kriptoshenko, Korovin, Melnikov, Viktor and two others)
OOC:   As Korovin is laying the charges, it would make sense for your group to be in the last MT-LBV out. But that's your decision to make.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

When all the preparations are ready, Viktor boards his assigned MT-LBV and straps himself securely into his seat to prepare for the drop.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

With a final check of his equipment and a loving slap on the butt of his beloved 'Lara', Melnikov, swings into the MT-LBV 3. Flashing a wolfish grin at the other occupants he straps himself in ready for the drop.
The prospect of action is affecting him, his eyes shining with excitement.
Melnikov thinking:   Da, let's do it.  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Korovin is working as fast as he can, in a rapid and efficient way.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4418142/
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The smoke from the low temperature fuel burning from the three MT-LBV's quickly fills the confines of the cargo hold. Suddenly a loud bang, followed by the screeching of metal tearing against metal. The left hand door is now wedged against a snow or ice bank, whilst the right hand door is hanging by it's top hinges, the lower ones being split apart. The frigid air quickly disperses the fog of burnt fuel from the vehicles as the icy wind swirls round the cargo bay. The first MT-LBV charges out the door and lands with a loud bang onto the packed ice and struggles away up the rut left by the plane crash-landing. "Clear" comes Babenko's voice on the radio.

Pretty soon the second vehicle follows, and despite struggling a bit more than the first vehicle, it gets up the bank and the driver radios "Clear" and your driver calls down "Ready Comrades, here we go - it look as though it is a rough bump." as the vehicle lurches forwards. Looking out the window, you can all see the soldier with the broken arm saluting as you leave.

The vehicle flies into space and with a jolt that rattles your teeth, you land and after a minute the MT-LBV struggles up the furrow where the other two vehicles are awaiting. They quickly drive off North, hoping to get as much distance between the plane and them as possible. After a few minutes there is a loud explosion behind them and bit's of debris start to land around them. The scientists look at each other, their wide-eyed faces now ashen. Suddenly a large part of a jet engine lands just in front of the middle vehicle causing the second and third MT-LBV's to swerve to avoid it.

The weather outside is getting rapidly worse, the blizzard increasing more and more. Visibility is often below 100m, making getting your bearings difficult, if not impossible. Your outside temperature gauge reads -6 degrees celsius, and it is dropping. Even quite large features are difficult to spot. The windows start to freeze up as does the driver's periscope. This means that someone has to open the hatch, climb out and clear the periscope and drivers windscreen at least or risk tumbling the vehicle into a ravine or getting it hung up on boulders. The sky is not visible through the storm. The sun barely registers as a smudge of illumination while it is above the horizon. Clearing the periscopes / windscreens etc has to be done every 30 minutes at the moment.

About 45 minutes out from the plane, Babenko's agitated voice comes across the radio. "Comrade Kapitan. Something unusual to report, I think Sir. If you look out the right hand side you can see a herd of Reindeer caught in this severe storm. I have seen several herds already as well as some huge muskoxen all seemingly killed by the temperature drop."
OOC:   I need to make some rolls - let's hope I don't fumble. Everyone move to this thread please - viewtopic.php?f=302&t=5075  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Cold Dead Hand”