Page 1 of 1

The Journey Into the Frozen Wilds

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 pm
by Cearlan
In the prevailing blizzard, visibility soon drops alarmingly, often to less than 100 metres. Even quite large features are difficult to spot. Visibility inside the MT-LBVs is even worse, with the driver’s periscope and windows icing up. This means that the vehicles have to stop while someone has to open the hatches to get a decent look to avoid risking the vehicle tumbling into a ravine or getting it hung up on boulders. The sky is not visible through the storm, even the sun barely registering as a smudge of illumination while it is above the horizon.

The winds are increasing as you progress and currently are blowing at approximately 65 kph, the outside temperature is showing as varying between 4 degrees Celsius to -12 depending if you are sheltered from the wind or not.

You have been travelling for about 45 minutes when suddenly Babenko's voice comes acrosss the radio. "Comrade Kapitan, I think you should stop and come and see this ... to say it is a little disturbing is an understatement."

Re: The Journey Into the Frozen Wilds

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:37 am
by kabukiman
Korovin is happy hearing some distraction after what happened.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 am
by Priest

Melnikov unconcernedly chews on some gum, a habit he gained from watching some American films. He has already dismissed the explosion he heard behind them a while back deeming that whatever it was it iwould have necessary for the completion of the mission.
He turns to look towards the drivers ice crusted window when he hears the radio message, although he can see little outside.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 pm
by Kadael
Kriptoshenko has been silent and stone-faced ever since he heard the explosion. He hasn't thought too hard about the whys or hows. All he's sure of is the result.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Viktor tries to peer out through the icy windows, though he can see little of their surroundings. He is sure that the hydraulic fluid ignited and destroyed the plane - and all of the troops they had left behind - possibly as a result of the explosives used to blow open the exit. There's nothing that can be done for them at this point, he thinks. They're in God's hands now.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 pm
by Cearlan
The journey gets harder as you go further forward. Snow and ice form and it needs to be cleared from the windshields / periscopes every 20 minutes now and the outside temperature has dropped to about -15. Two hours after leaving the plane, about 07:15 hrs, the radio bursts into life once more as transmissions from the Mi-26 Helicopter carrying the other half of your company starts to cut through though the heavy static.

At first the radio, once it has been correctly tuned in, indicate the pilots arguing with some officers who are clearly safe and snug at the Norilsk Air Defense Base.

Pilot 1 (Highly agitated);- "Norlisk Base, This is Mayór Limbersky We cannot penetrate any further into this blizzard - conditions are simply <static> ... gerous to continue further"

Pilot 2 (in background);- "Mayór, the rotors <static> icing up - we need to turn back now sir"

Norlisk Base (calm and collected, after a slight pause);- "Negative Mayór. You are to continue as ordered you MUST try <static> you understand?"

Mayór Limbersky (voice rising);- "I respectfully ask you <static> re-appraise the situation Sir ... I have never seen anything this severe at this time of year <static> I grew up around here."

Norlisk base (after a longer pause);- "Negative Mayór, we demand that you continue. The safety of the Soviet Union may be at stake here I order you to <static>"

Pilot 2 (in background);- "Sir even the fuel <static> to freeze"

Mayór Limbersky (shouting);- "Negative Norlisk base - I refuse to endanger the lives of these men and this helicopter <static> errand. When the storm passes we can go in without <static>, but to try now would be suicide, and murder on your behalf if you continue to force us."

A new voice comes on the radio shrieking wildly at the helicopter crew.

New voice;- "This is Lt. General Konstantin Pavelovish Suslin of the Strategic Rocket Forces, you may remember me as the same man who ran the mission briefing back at Norlisk airbase. If you continue with you trecherous talk about abandoning your mission you will be treated as deserters and your helicopter will be intercepted and shot <static>. Furthermore, the wives, parents, siblings and children of the deserters will undoubtedly meet with the gravest consequences for your cowardly actions."

Mayór Limbersky (shouting);- "Lt. General <static> greatest respect, these orders are totally insane and I believe the man issuing them equally mad."

Lt. General Suslin (still screaming, now even louder);- "Limbersky get your f*%!ing helicopter to site 6 as ordered or I'll personally flay you, your wife and three children, (his voice lowers back to a dull roar), especially your new born boy Кирилл (Kirill) who I will take a special interest in if you <static> Limbersky, you have a simple choice to make!"

Mayór Limbersky (shouting);- "Lt. General Suslin Sir, May you burn in the deepest pits of your own personal Hell. I just hope I will <static> your tormentors. You have left us no choice but to follow your orders. I wish to state that I ...

The radio goes dead.
OOC:   Psychology rolls from everyone please  

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Viktor can't really assess the state of mind of the men on the radio.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 am
by kabukiman
Korovin is too disturbed to pay attention to the details.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4422038/

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm
by DrPeterson
Psychology,[dice]0[/dice]

After hearing the radio dialogue, Kozlov , his face cold, switches to their internal channel.

"Babenko, I'm coming over."

He double-checks his gear, secures all flaps and belts and nods at Kriptoshenko and Muradov.

"You two are with me, the rest should get these windows cleared. We're going nowhere fast if we can't see."

With that, he leaves the MT and tries to make his way to the lead vehicle.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:32 pm
by Priest

Melkinov avidly chewing his gum seems to pay little attention to the radio conversation.
Psychology,1d100 → [85] = (85) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4422252/

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:22 am
by Cearlan
Kozlov Kriptoshenko and Muradov,Babenko responds [color=#FF0000]"Da comrade Kapitan - halt the vehicle and get the screens and scope cleared whilst I am away"[/color] The latter obviously directed towards the MT-LBV drivers
Kozlov,Your experience in the Spetsnaz upper-mid echelons gives you an inner warning that the screaming Lt. General Suslin, and Norlisk air force base are not even giving half the story ... there is much more to this than has been revealed. To have rattled Lt. General Suslin this much the actual situation must be dire indeed, in fact whatever it is has the command hysterical with fear.
When Kozlov, Kriptoshenko and Muradov board Babenlko's MT-LBV the radio sputters into life once more.

Mayór Limbersky (shouting);- "Norlisk base, Norlisk base this is White 36 team one - Mi-26 Mayday Mayday Our rotors have iced u <static> tail and lift rotors Mayday Mayday. Position 68 degrees 34 minutes 47 seconds North b <static> y minutes 18 seconds East We are going down repeat we are going down. Mayday Mayday Position 68 degrees 34 minutes 47 seconds North by 90 degrees forty minutes 18 seconds East You f*&@ing bunch of murdering imbeciles. Your mothers are now the devil's own whores <static> fate for forcing us into this suicidal <static>." The helicopter's communications cease.

Norlisk Base;- White 36 team one - Mi-26 Come in this is Norlisk base. Come in White 36 team one please respond" The base tries again and again and again to raise the now silent helicopter, without success.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Viktor finds the major's dsplay of mat oddly reassuring, and he hopes that the his fellow Siberian has survived. "How far away is their position from ours?" he wonders aloud.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:23 am
by kabukiman
Nicolay is happy that he belongs to the group that is still alive. But for how long?

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:58 pm
by DrPeterson

Kozlov didn't like how this mission was going so far. Too many casualties at the start was bad for morale, even for his men. They'd start doubting and that mustn't be allowed to happen. He couldn't show signs of weakness or the mission would falter.

He looks at Viktor, a look of concern for his colleagues in the chopper on his face.

"We will see when we get there, no doubt, but the mission must take precedence, Viktor.""

He then turns to Babenko.

"What's wrong?"

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, Comrade Kapitan," says Viktor, nodding.

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:14 am
by Kadael
Kriptoshenko can't tell much beyond the obvious as he boards with Kozlov and Muradov.

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:58 pm
by Cearlan
Kozlov Kriptoshenko and Viktor,Babenko rises as Kozlov Kriptoshenko and Viktor enter the lead MT-LBV. He points that they should return out the door. I have to see this up close myself - it's just not ... well you'll see. Once the four of you are outside, he points over to the left of the trail. When the group have walked about fifteen metres you can see a shape looming in the swirling snow. "I just got a glimpse of it when the wind dropped for a second." As you approach you can see that it is a small herd of gigantic reindeer. The calves were surrounded by what appears to be females whilst three large males are frozen solid, raised upon their rear legs like you see on coats of arms, rampant you think it's called. It seems as though they were frozen defending the herd against something. However they seem to have been frozen instantly, in place, something like freeze dried coffee. What could have done this so quickly? [ooc]San roll please for the realisation that this is much more than could be natural - 0/1d2[/ooc] [url=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/Cearlan/media/Cold%20Dead%20Hand/ColdDeadHand04_zps39f95ad4.png.html][img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh150/Cearlan/Cold%20Dead%20Hand/ColdDeadHand04_zps39f95ad4.png[/img][/url]
The three MT-LBV spare crew members are clearing the windscreens and periscopes as everyone waits for the four crew members to return to their respective vehicles

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Bozhemoi!" yelps Viktor, startled, but not too badly. "What could have done this?"

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:43 pm
by DrPeterson

Kozlov's face is grim.
Sanity,[dice]0[/dice]

"Must be a special weapon's research station...It doesn't change our mission."

He turns away from the horrible display and starts heading back to the vehicles.

"Maintain the approach vector and proceed with caution. Radio communication is to be restricted to a minimum."

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:15 am
by Cearlan
"Da comrade Kapitan" snaps Babenko in reply to Kozlov's order "Proceeding on course to site 6, our objective." He quickly boards the lead vehicle while you retrace your steps back to the rear vehicle.
OOC:   Listen rolls for you three please  
You enter as quickly as possible in order to prevent heat loss from within the MT-LBV.

After about an hours further travel the radio once more suddenly bursts into life.
http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2013 ... ler-alert/
Not sure if I am allowed to put this link up as it's to an external site or not - if not feel free to remove it

Transcript of the above sound file.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Viktor listens to the transmission intently, and he does not notice much else.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:33 am
by Priest

Melnikov seems to listen to the broadcast, shrugs as it is terminated, and begins another check of the firing action of Lara. Making sure that every working part is moving easily and is free of dust or excessive oil.
Cearlan,House moving Thursday 13th, so access to computerlost for a few days. Please use Melnikov as deemed nescessary.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 pm
by kabukiman
Korovin doesn't hear anything.

OOC: I had a problem with my computer, but the roll in the invisible castle was a fail, you can trust me :D

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:55 pm
by Cearlan
About five minutes after the end of the end of the radio transmission, you hear the voice of Lt. General Suslin. This is the very same officer who initially briefed them on White 36, the very same officer who acted like a maniac when he sent the men aboard the Mi-26 helicopter to their deaths amid a flurry of threats and obscenities. His voice is so calm and controlled, that you find it oddly a bit disconcerting, especially after the passion and energy of the previous broadcast.

“Kapitain Koslov. This is Lt. General Suslin. You are to disregard the broadcast you just received and proceed with your mission as briefed. The broadcast was a disinformation action by enemies of the Soviet Union. The Motherland is depending on you. Do not fail.”
OOC:   I hope the move goes without a hitch Priest ... I'll look after your investigators.  

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

He didn't mention what the people who shut the broadcast down said afterwards, Viktor thinks. Would the Americans really be crazy enough to try that? I've heard rumors that they've been working on weather control technology...

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:21 am
by kabukiman
What enemies?- thinks Korovin. And is this situation mission when there are problems in the capital just a coincidence, or are send to the north to avoid that we will be used some other place?.
But he says nothing.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:56 pm
by Cearlan
The nature of the terrain means that the trail you must follow is not a straight lline and there are many dead ends that your convoy goes into necessitating having to double back and move further round to the East before proceeding North once more. As you do manage to make some headway you notice the Storm getting worse as you get further North.
OOC:   Listen rolls please at +15%
If you pass,Whether or not it is your fevered imaginations or as a direct result of the radio transmission you start to hear howling sounds echo all around your convoy at intermittent times.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:16 pm
by kabukiman
Korovin listens very well whateaver is the sound...

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4430744/

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:58 pm
by Cearlan
About two thirds of the soldiers and scientists in the three vehicles hear the sounds of howling and the tension in the enclosed confines of the MT-LBV passenger compartment increases. The howling, or is it simply the wind, increases in duration. whilst all the time increasing and decreasing in audibility.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:07 pm
by Kadael
Kriptoshenko is very disconcerted by what he hears. It sounds like terrible anguish to his ears.
Keeper,Sorry for lagging behind. I'll try to do better.

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:14 am
by DrPeterson
Listen 62+15= 77%,[dice]0[/dice]
Kozlov is gazing out the window as the caravan slowly makes its way towards the objective. His mind sorting out all the distractions, Americans spies, crazy orders, superweapons,...it was always the same, wasn't it? There was only one thing a soldier could do, however.

He picked up the radio set and switched to the channel that connected the three vehicles.

"Don't be frightened by the wind, men, we are Spetsnaz!Don't be concerned about the cold, are we not men of Russia? The frozen wastes of Siberia are in our blood. Let it be your armour, not your weakness!"

He clears his throat,

"Keep a tight formation! Now let's finish what we started with, we can came here to secure the site, and no amount of rumours are radio broadcasts is going to stop that!"

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:44 pm
by Cearlan
After driving all night, just as dawn's rays illuminate the sky a rosy pink, though you cannot see any of that through the swirling snow and ice which now has visibility down to a mere 50 yards at best. All you can see is the light start to slightly improve as you continue to advance.

The radio crackles into life once more as Babenko's bleary voice comes across. "Comrade Kapitan, I believe we are here. There is a rusty barbed wire fence in front of us with what looks like another fence inside it. The outer fence is about eight feet high and there are ragged shapes that see to be clothing of some description strewn all over it.

I cannot imagine anything else being out here being fortified so. On the inner fence there seems to be the outline of what could be guard towers on either side of where we are. Wait - there is a third fence I can see just inside the second fence. I estimate there is about twenty metres between the outer fence and the middle fence and maybe ten metres between the middle and inner fences. I think I can see indistinct shapes further in, but I cannot be sure what they are or give any distances. I will await your further orders beside the fence comrade Kapitan."

The three MT-LBV's line up next to each other and Babenko is already outside standing beside the fence, his hands shielding his eyes as he peers intently into the distance beyond the fences. He stands beside a fence post and as you approach he points out a rusty sign which reads as follows;
"CORRECTIVE LABOUR CAMP 234
OFF LIMITS
AUTHORISED PERSONNEL ONLY"
The fence goes off to what you read from your compass as being roughly north-west to south east as far as you can see in this weather. The fence is as described by Babenko and tatters of clothing are being blown around what you can see of the compound.
OOC:   Spot Hidden and listen rolls please. Listen at +30%  

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:18 am
by DrPeterson
"Let's go have a look."

Kozlov gets out of the vehicle and joins up with Babenko.

"What are you thinking?", he asks as he peers into the storm.

Spot hidden-65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen-92%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 am
by kabukiman

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 am
by Kadael

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 pm
by Cearlan
Whoever is standing on the right will notice, when the wind seems to die for a second or two, that there seems to be a corner off to the South East of where you stand. The wind howls, or at least you hope it is the wind. Otherwise there is only the flapping of the tattered clothing snared on the barbed wire fence.

Those peering ahead notice the shapes seem to be piles of something irregular but buried in the snow.

It is very unsettling that all you can hear, that there is no sound other than wind and the flapping clothing. If you listen closely you can just hear the sound of the wind whistling through what you think could be a tall structure, maybe a radio mast.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"There are some things buried in the snow ahead," reports Viktor. He peers through his scope to get a better look at them.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:22 am
by kabukiman
-Is this the place we are suppose to attack?- asks Korovin

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:03 pm
by Cearlan
The dawn has brought little or no light to your situation, more a dull grey as opposed to the dark of night. As you peer ahead in the gloom, you cannot make anything out, but wait ... is that blackness you can see under the snow? You are too far away to be certain of anything really.

Babenko looks down his nose at Korovin. "That Lt. General Suslin said we were to go to Site 6, which is a ICBM compound, remember comrade ... this is nothing more than a labour camp. Due to it's location though I would say that Site 6 may not be too far away. Perhaps this is the camp that housed the labourers that built the silos? I cannot remember us being told to expect this though, though I may be wrong. What are your orders comrade Kapitan?"

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can't see any more detail from this distance," says Viktor. "Shall we take the time to investigate what happened here, or do we make directly for our objective?"

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:09 am
by kabukiman
-Sorry to interrupt, but our orders were clear: to go to our objective, not going somewhere else.
Korovin is nervous because he is afraid that they have found some secret place they weren't suppose to discover, and have problems in the future...

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:36 pm
by DrPeterson

Kozlov peers through the haze.

"Get the MT's to follow us, Babenko. If we can go through, we don't have to navigate around."

"Kriptoshenko, you take point, the rest cover the flanks."

He unlocks the safety of his rifle and starts advancing on the right of Viktor.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Viktor nods and proceeds as ordered, staying alert to his surroundings, his Dragunov at the ready.

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 am
by Cearlan
Babenko says, "Comrade Kapitan, if I may. The co-ordinates for this camp show that the Silo's are less than 10 Km away, with the plane and the helicopter crash wiping out a good portion of the initial personnel on this mission, maybe we could recruit some replacements from the camp's guards."
OOC:   Sorry, I must be having a bit of a dim moment here - What are you doing? Going through the camp, going round, heading straight for the Silo's or what? If going through the camp, how will you deal with the fence?  

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:48 am
by DrPeterson
OOC:   For some reason I thought there was an opening in the fence. my bad! :D  

Kozlov stares at the fence, thinking for a moment on what Babenko proposes.

"I don't think anyone e encounter here will be trustworthy enough to join in the mission, but I want to go in and have a look anyway. If they did indeed help build the silo's, perhaps they'll be able to shed some insight into the layout of the structure or the nature of the problem."

His gaze returns to the vehicles.

"Let's mount up and skirt the perimeter of this compound and look for a way in."

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:06 pm
by Kadael
Kriptoshenko takes point as he is ordered.

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:44 pm
by Priest

Melkinov grins a wolfish grin and pulls the slide on the machine gun, listening to the familiar sound of the firing action sliding home.
Melnikov thinking:   No more blank firing for exercise purposes, Real bullets as the Americans would say "full metal jackets".  
As Kriptoshenko moves to take point, he turns to the left flank in a covering position.

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Da, Comrade Kapitan," says Viktor. He takes up his position on the vehicle so they can drive around the perimeter, keeping his eyes open for a way inside.

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:09 pm
by Cearlan
After about 50 metres the inner fences head off North East leaving only the outer perimeter fence. A further 75 metres and the fence is supported by a wooden stockade, Continuing to head South East you reach a corner and start to head North East. Travelling about 50 m and the stockade ends and a further 100 metres in this direction you come across a gate that is secured with a rusted parlock that looks as though it hasn't been used in a while. As you approach the gate you can see the vague outlines of some cabins inside the compound.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Viktor looks at the cabins through his scope, trying to make out more details and looking for signs of movement.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:19 am
by kabukiman
Korovin takes his weapon and slowly go near the fence.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:36 am
by DrPeterson

"See if we can open that padlock by hand, otherwise we'll drive through it."

Kozlov hand signals for the others to keep a sharp look-out.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:21 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   I'm 110% certain that I posted this earlier but hey-ho!  
The padlock resists your attempts to get past it, though as you are trying, you notice that the heavy chain is only wrapped around the gates and can be removed easily.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:50 am
by kabukiman
Korovin goes near to see kif there isn't any explosves or something...

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:10 pm
by Cearlan
Grabbing the chain and pulling it falls away from the gates into your hands. The howling wind seems to take on a more sinister tone as the chain is removed ... or is that just your imagination?

Suddenly a very strong gust of wind blows from behind you. The gates slowly creak open, creak being the operative word. They sound like fingernails on a blackboard. The wind intensifies, and despite being semi-sheltered by the MT-LBV's you find yourself being propelled forwards. (Add STR and SIZ and half - round up and roll against 18 on the resistance table to resist). The howling from above, (or is it behind you?), sounds louder ... this is not normal in any way, shape or form.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

Viktor tries to stand his ground, but the wind is too strong.

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:13 pm
by DrPeterson
Kozlov is knocked to the ground too.

"Brace yourselves!"

He tries to crawl to the gate, to brace himself on it as he attempts to regain his footing.

balance,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:17 pm
by kabukiman
Korovin is taken by surprised and don't resist.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4453629/

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:52 pm
by Cearlan
The wind dies down slowly as you regain your footing and look at one another with wide eyes. Babenko is pushed further into the camp than the others and loos back at the group wide eyed. "What the ... what happened there?"

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is not normal weather," comments Viktor. "Even in winter in Siberia, it would be unusual, and this is the height of summer."

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:53 am
by kabukiman
Korovin starts thinking it was better to stay in Afghanistan. At least it was some danger he could understand!
-Let's see if we find someone.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:31 pm
by Cearlan
The five of you stand on the threshold of the camp with the three MT-LBV's behind you. Move to this thread