Arkham Asylum Part II

Moderator: Cearlan

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Arkham Asylum Part II

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not sure what to make of him, Doctor," says Katherine, "but he seems to sincerely believe that he is Henry Atwater. It will be interesting to see what Henry Atwater has to say about it once he's found. Is there any sign of him or indication of how he got loose?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"And on that note, do you require some assistance with the search, Doc?"

Henry doesn't look to happy either and would much rather get some fresh air.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Standing to one side of the door, in order to keep an eye on it should it open, I nod agreement with Henry's question.
"Yeah doc. Can we help with the search?" Of course I'm hoping he says no, and we can just get the hell away from this place. Too many birds hiding in the shadows.
Now what the hell put that thought in my head?
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

"Of course you may assist if you wish, we are stretched a bit thin it is true, and any help you give would be deeply appreciated. But I must stress that you are under no obligation to help." Suddenly there is a muffled thump from the French Window and a flashlight illuminates the outline of a bird in the middle of the centre pane of glass. The wings are spread wide and the head seems to be looking straight at you all. Looking down onto the ground you can see the confused bird struggling to get to it's feet, obviously dazed from flying into the glass.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, dear!" exclaims Katherine. "The poor creature. Whoever cleaned that window did too good a job. I'll assist with the search as well. Mr. Atwater may have injured himself. I think we ought to start in his room, so we can find out how he got out of it and which way he went."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Calamy's hand was halfway to his gun upon hearing the bang of the bird hitting the window. He exhales slowly, trying to take the edge of his nerves and says:

"I agree with Sister Katherine, we should start there."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I go white, I can feel it, at the collision of the bird with the glass. with a fast step i take refuge behind the flowing robes of Sister Catherine, "Jeesus, what the..."

Realisation dawns, "Sorry sister it just startled me for a moment"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I forgive you," says Katherine. While she's disappointed that he has taken the Lord's name in vain, she understands why he did it. The bird had startled her too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DeeJ61
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years

Post by DeeJ61 »

Sharon Williams

Sharon shrieks, as she jumps back and instinctively covers her face with her hands as she is startled by the bird hitting the window.
Sharon says:
"Well I'm not staying here alone that's for sure! ... so as long as I can search together with one of you, then I will help in the search too."
Phnglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn. Iä!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll stay with you, Sharon," says Katherine, lending her an arm.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

You are each given a handwritten pass that will allow you to search relatively unhindered and before you are allowed to leave Dr Hardstrom's office you are each given a whistle.

"If you see anything at all, no matter how trivial it may seem, use the whistle to call attention to yourself. Please be careful out there. There should only be staff out there, so if you are asked just show them this letter authorising you to search. Now where would you like to begin, in his room you say Sister? Well as we know you of old ... I suppose I can authorise you to draw a set of keys which would allow you access. Please keep them safe Sister - I am placing a burden of trust upon you."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Doctor," says Katherine as she accepts the pass, whistle, and keys. "You may depend on me." When Sharon is ready, she leads her to Henry's room.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Calamy thanks the professor for the laissez-passer and joins the women.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

You make your way to the depths of the Asylum where Atwater's 'accomodation' was located. It was on the same level as John Doe's cell but you manage to get directions to where his cell was. The lights flicker as you proceed down the corridor, which seems to be longer than what it could be. At the end of the corridor shadowy shape sits, doubtlessly a guard who stops you when you get about ten feet away from his post.

"Naow jest hawld on the-ir folks. What is it yo'll be a'wantin' dawn hereabouts, dontcha know this is awff limits to folks such as yerselfs." He spits a gob of tobacco stained phlegm onto the floor as if to show his contempt of all and any who dare to intrude upon his area of control.

When you show him the letter you got from Hardstrom he changes his tune and becomes solicitous.

"Sorry folks but I git my orders from the man himself not to let anyone in ... I was jest a-doin me job, be sure to tell him that Benny is bein' alert a-dawn here. Hef ye any word on how the search is goin' they don't see fit to tell me a-naught, as is their right I s'pose, but I'd like to know how the search is progressin' ivory once in awhile. Heor Sister ... lemme git that door fir ye." he says as he rushes to open the cell door. "Ah'll git the light on fer ye."

The cell door is right on the back wall of the corridor and there seems to be, in the gloomy, flickering light cast by the corridor's lamps nothing amiss with the door that you can discern. Upon entering the room, the first thing that hits you is a foul stench of rot and decay, though it's source remains hidden from you, it seems to pervade the very air of the room. As the lights flicker into luminescence, you can see that the room, approximately 10' by 8' with a bed and table with chair and a empty chamber pot by the head of the bed. The walls, ceiling and floor appear solid enough with no visible ways out. What passes for outside light would come in through the decaying rusted up window set high above the wall opposite the bed. A slight breeze issues from this window. The bed is slept in and the sheets dirty and unkempt.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Benny," says Katherine. "I'll be sure to let Dr. Hardstrom know what a good job you're doing. So far they haven't found him as far as I know, but hopefully we'll make some progress now that there are more of us assisting." She moves the chair underneath the window and stands upon it, where she examines the window closely. Then she looks out through it and peers at the ground below, looking for any trace of Henry Atwater. "This window is open; I could feel the breeze. He probably got out this way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Henry looks around the room, looking underneath the bed, in between the sheets, in the corners and all other unlikely places, looking for anything unusual or indicative.

"Yes, could be...but I'm quite interested in what he was up to while he wasn't escaping from this cell."

Looking for clues roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Catherine,The window is rusted shut and the breeze is merely through the ill-fitting frame. You are underground, so the 'window' is or like a basement's skylight, sorry if my description was misleading
Henry,On the floor is the fainest of outlines of what looks like a circle drawn on the floor with some semi-obscured glyphs drawn inside,but the nature of the glyphs are uncertain as there have been too many people in the cell trying to discern how he got out and their traffic across the floor has smudged them. In fairness they were very faint to start with which is how they were missed by the earlier searchers
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Henry lets out a "ha!" that turns into a terrible coughing fit. Moments later he stands up and breathes deep.

"I knew I should have worn a sweater when we went swimming..."

He tucks away the handkerchief he used to cover his mouth and then points at a circular pattern on the floor.

"Look here, it seems like our friend was busy re-enacting the bridge scene."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I move forward at Henry's words and peer at the faint pattern,
"What the hell, I thought the guy was too sick to have energy to spend drawing on the floor. Also, where did he the necessaries to draw anyway?"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katherine steps down from the chair. "Well, he didn't leave that way," she says. "The window is closed, there's just a slight gap between the frame and the wall. It must get awfully drafty in here. What have we here?" She peers at the pattern on the floor.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Archive”