Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

The Autopsy of Felicity Sorrell

Post by Cearlan »

OOC,Sorry this one is a long one Royya

Sergeant Yates says "This way please Sir" and ushers you out of the police building to a waiting car and the pair of you are whisked away to the hospital and you are taken to the autopsy suite. When you enter, the dour Sergeant Yates calls out "Professor?"

A half familiar voice sounds out "Ah Yates good man, did you bring young Huckleberry?"

The figure that comes from the office is no-one other than Professor Julian Gorman, one of your father's closest friends. The fast talking, never quiet professor looks at you with a broad smile across his face

"Ah Joseph, young man ... how long has it been? I don't think I have seen you for the last three, or is it four years, How's your parent's keeping, are they enjoying their holiday?" By this time he has crossed the floor and is enthusiastically shaking your hand. "Enough of that small talk for now!" he says before you can answer. "Let's get scrubbed and see what you make of this." He shakes Yates' hand "Good to see you Sergeant, how is Mrs Yate's, is that medicine I got for you working any better? I reckon you'll be joining us in there for this one ... you will have done as many autopsies as I have pretty soon. As I said let's scrub up and I'll talk you both through it."

"Mrs Yates is doing a lot better thank you Professor. You know I find your work fascinating Professor, and none of your assistants will let me watch like you do. Lt O'Grady told me quite specifically to stay with Dr Huckleberry until we are finished here." You can see that Yates is well used to the Professor's mannerisms, as are you having known him most of your life, yet he still throws up his hands in exasperation before catching you watching him, a smile on your lips.

Prof Gorman had already walked off as he leads you through to a scrub room and flicks on the lights and in the next room you can see three tables, but only the middle one is occupied. The body is covered by a sheet at present.

"There is our mystery woman there. I say mystery woman, mainly because what identity she carried marked her as a Felicity Sorrell. However there neither was nor is any Felicity Sorrell born in this or any of the neighbouring states since 1795." He smirks to let that sink in, but before you can respond, and you can tell that from his deep sigh, Sergeant Yates wants to get a word in edgeways - but cannot. "Anyhow, as you will no doubt guess I don't get to do autopsies as often as I'd like to any more, damned bureaucracy you understand. Accordingly I tend to delegate them to my assistants, but I look over the paperwork as it comes in."

"Now imagine my surprise when I find my close friend's son named in a report attached to this procedure. I was a bit concerned to say the least. As my assistant started the autopsy, he observed something rather strange, which even after I have seen it twice already, frankly I am at a loss to explain. As a result I asked you to join me to see if you can shed any light on this strange case, if for no other reason than you were there. "Shall we?" he says as his assistant opens the door to the room.

You all head over to the central table when with a flourish Prof Gorman reveals the part autopsied body of a young, very well built female aged about twenty-five.

"Now then young Huckleberry, the autopsy revealed that the deceased died from a massive embolism to the brain, certainly large enough to kill her. We then rolled back the chest wall and eviscerated the corpse, but found little that could be described as unusual, other than her strong physique. However when we then opened the top of the skull and rolled back the skin of the face to take a look at the brain, we noticed that there was much more cerebral fluid in the skull than there should be. About three times as much as is normal." The professor dismisses his assistant.

After some hesitation, the Professor removes the top of the skull before he continues. "To put it simply, I can only conclude that this brain is too small for the skull it is in as you can see!"

Joseph,sanity check please.
The Professor then removes the brain and shows the investigators the damage caused by the embolism, "Here and here are the marks of the embolism, quite obvious. There can be no doubt that this killed the this poor unfortunate. However, there is something else. What do you make of this then?" he asks as he turns the brain over to show them something else. At the back of the brain is an odd structure, a band of pliable, grey-orange substance covered with odd lines and grooves. It joins the brain to the spinal cord. "My assistant has taken sections and stained thin slices of the brain and has prepared slides. Take a look at these under a microscope and then my friend, you can tell me and Sergeant Yates exactly what you are mixed up in." As you peer in through the lens you can see filaments of the same orange-grey substance plainly run through the entire brain.
Joseph,This sight is worth another sanity roll please.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: The Autopsy of Felicity Sorrell

Post by royya »

2 San checks (1d100=62, 1d100=18) - Failed the first and passed the second.

Oh...Jesus.
Joseph say as he backs away a step, the fear of something contagious fills him, He never saw something like that but as he sees that the two are fine, he approach the corpse nervously.
Something drained the brain from it fluids perhaps? I wonder if the brain is dry? we can cut a slice.
He says as he scans it. He then nods to the professor and takes a look at the microscope.
Hmmm...I wonder, could be tracks of a tropical parasite?
let me have gloves and a knife and see what happens if I slice these filaments.

Jospeh tries to think if he read about these brain shrinkage like that in medicine books.

Jospeh turns to Yates and says.
Can we track from where she came and where she was born. Probably she brought something with her when she arrived here and I wonder why she decided to come to Sorrel's house. Is she a distant relative ?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC,Idea roll please - you want to fail. if you pass you understand the implications of the failed SAN check. If you pass however you take a 1D2 hit to your SAN.
Julian stands back, "Oh no, Sorry if you misunderstood. The cerebro-spinal fluid was present, just approximately three times more volume than there should have been. The brain was pliable and moist as you would expect and the checks we ran on the fluid showed nothing out of the ordinary. You have already seen the section of the brain and the orange-grey filaments running through it. What do you make of them? As I tried to slice through the filaments, I came to realise that it is a lot tougher than it ought to be." As you cut through the tissue you find that cutting the brain tissue is alright, though where you come into contact with the filaments it becomes increasingly tougher. This is like nothing you have ever come across before.

When you ask the redoubtable sergeant about the deceased's origins, Professor Gorman interjects. "We have already tried to locate "Miss Sorrel's" actual identity but so far have drawn a blank." He frowns before going on to add. "Are you familiar with the works of Arthur Conan Doyle my boy? The character of Holmes was based closely on a real life Edinburgh Doctor, a Dr Joseph Bell who Doyle worked for. The basis of the stories is how logic and science can be helpful when solving crimes. Yates here is an avid fan are you not sergeant? Well, if you are going to be getting involved in any sort of detective work I can wholeheartedly recommend the books, though some are better written than others. One of the sayings that Doyle attributed to Holmes was that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. With this in mind, all I can hypothesise is that the brain we are examining is highly unlikely to belong to this body."
OOC,A third SAN check for this please - and if you fail - then try to fail an idea check.
Sergeant Yates adds onto the end of the Professors monologue that "When we had left the station, there was no evidence of any connection between Martin Sorrell and anyone else, no siblings or any other living relatives, and there have been no recordings of a Felicity Sorrell in this state since the end of the eighteenth century."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Idea roll (1d100=64) - Pass the idea for the 2nd San check.
3rd SAN (1d100=87) - 3rd SAN - Failed
Idea roll (1d100=100) - Failed the idea for the 3rd San check.

What do you say to me professor?
Jospeh says with eyes wide open
This is not her brain and these filaments are some biological veins that hold this other brain attached to her head ?!
Joseph steps back from the corpse with horror.
How can it be ?! No one ever experimented such things.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC,The concept of these filaments holding the strange brain in this 'shell' and going on to run through the brain is one that you cannot seem to comprehend fully and as a result you lose 1D2 SAN.
"Well it appears that someone ..." he paused before going on "... or some thing shall we say, has done just that, and the evidence of this is right before our eyes and as I alluded to earlier, whatever is left when improbable things are discounted must be the truth. This is way beyond anything I have seen or heard of." His tone softens and he drapes a fatherly arm around Joseph's shoulders. "I can see no other possible conclusion, can you boy?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

San loss (1d2=1) - lost 1 point.

I wonder...
Joseph says as he calms down from what he just saw.
I think my father spoke of it sometime around a past dinner or maybe I read it in an article at the University. There are tribes in Africa and in South America that remove brains from bodies in a cult ritual. But they remove it when the body is dead ... wait a minute.
Jospeh stops as he thinks about the worst of all
Do you think MArtin SOrrel passed the same ritual. After all, it was his body who died but Lt. O'grady said something was wrong over there, They have not found evidence of past Malaria in his blood.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"If Sorrell had contracted Malaria, then there would be some evidence in his bloods. I don't know if there were or not Joseph, I never had Martin Sorrell's body across my table." Julain steeples his fingers, as his mind races.

"I have heard from an anthropologist acquaintance of mine that some tribes remove the brain post mortem, but they then consume them in order, they believe, to preserve some sort of tribal or ancestral memories." Goram frowns before asking "What do you think sergeant?"

"That sounds absolutely disgusting Professor, but I can see why the more ... ah, the more primitive mind might think along these lines. Fair turns my stomach just to consider it. But, if I may ask, how does this explain the filament or it's presence?"

"Capital Yates, capital observation! No-one is even researching this kind of science, let alone having the skills to perfect it. Also, we have tried to isolate some of the filaments for study, but they become extremely brittle and disintegrate when they are not in contact with at least one of the cerebrum or cerebrospinal fluid."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

This is a new discovery for medicine, a new biological organism that probably lies in isolated places in south America or Africa.
Jospeh says to Julian and turns to Yates
Sergeant Yates, I need a ride back to the police station, I need to consult the others. Oh, and another question, do you know Where Martin was before he returned home?
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Steady there my friend ... I hardly think that this can be defined as a biological organism just yet, though I do like the idea on certain levels, it would need to be observed a lot more before making such a claim. Personally, I would think of it more as a set of wires, similar to the ones that carry the electrical current that we use in modern lighting systems. What I find more interesting is the way it is connected to and into the brain and spinal chord, though we have not yet been able to withdraw the chord more than about an inch as of yet for fear of damaging it as it has dried out after we drained the cerebrospinal fluid."

"I will conduct the rest of the autopsy here and send on a copy of the report to you as well. You know ir would not surprise e to see that the same, or similar filaments exist in some of the other organs, though so far we have found no trace ... but we have not been looking for them." he adds looking abashed at his lack of thought. "I will get on with that now." He turns and starts work almost immediately, leaving you and sergeant Yates to one side as he is totally absorbed in his work.

Sergeant Yates says "I'll need to call a car over from headquarters, it should not take more than a few minutes to get here. As for where he was prior to his return to Arkham ... he was in British Honduras, I know the name of the exact place but just cannot recall it at the moment. Sorry Sir. Shall we leave the professor to what he does best?" he adds ushering you out of the autopsy suite. As son as he finds a phone he calls for a car and fifteen minutes later you are just entering the car when the driver tells you that "The others in your party have all gone to the hospital to speak with the Administrators. Do you want me to take you there Sir?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Thank you professor, please keep me updated with your findings.
With that, Joseph leaves outside
Yes please, to the hospital.

Return to “Archive”