Chapter One: ‘And the dead shall walk the earth’

Moderator: Priest

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Chapter One: ‘And the dead shall walk the earth’

Post by DrPeterson »

Jonathan had taken up position next to Emily, helping as best as he could. Startled by the shots, he looks up, his hand resting on Dr. Donahue's shoulder.

"Are those gun shots! What in the seven hells is going on here?"

He looks at Pedro, while he fishes his phone from his pocket.

"Can you see anything through the peep hole?"

He quickly texts the same message (Get the kids and lock the door) to both his wife and babysitter/girlfriend, noticing with dread the low battery life of his phone.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

OOC-You did account for nerves of steel right? Or are we just saying I don't get it this time because it's my first time seeing a zombie. Also if there is another exit out of my room then the front door I use that. And, I know I didn't mention this in my equipment but is an ut-oh bag okay? What I was thinking was that it would contain his spiked knuckles, gloves, multi-tool, and some whiskey.I figured with his profession sleeping with something like that by his bed wouldn't be too far fetched.
Success 12 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4038068/
Ricky slams the door shut at this sight, instinct taking over in light of this horror.
"Daddy what's-" Katie starts, standing up. Ricky cuts her off lifting her up in a barrel hold in one arm, he grabs his 'ut-oh' bag, which was sitting by his bed, in the other. Katie continues trying to ask her question until he pauses briefly at the door. Is it really right to be running outside? Of course it is, that thing is some kind of demon and it saw you, this door isn't going to protect you! It was unstoppable, you don't want to be cornered! But it was slow, you can outrun it, get to the lifeboats or something! He thinks to himself over his daughters frightened words.
"Katie! Shut up and close your eyes, understand?!" He says in the commanding tone he rarely, if ever, uses on his daughter. Her eyes widen for a moment before she does as she's told. With a deep breath he runs through the door and, assuming the zombie's aren't on both sides now, runs in the opposite direction of the infirmary.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4038123/ Dash success 14
He then crouches into a soft, quiet pace, trying to hide, as soon as he breaks line of sight.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4038128/ Stealth success 20
OOC-I don't think the rules ever quite explained how skills work, I just added my level in the skill to both rolls.
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years

Post by Mr. Pear »

OOC: I forgot to add my dice rolls
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4038219/ notice (+1 from situational awareness) success 16
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4038223/ stealth success 15
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Pedro darts to the cabin door and peeks out through the peephole to see what's going on in the hallway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Luke Hoffman:

In two minds as to his destination Luke notes that swiftly following the gunshots doors all along the passage have started to open and curious passengers are starting to appear. Suddenly the screaming starts, Luke is not sure but it seems to be coming from the area closest to the infirmary. In the passageway where he guesses the doors to the infirmary are there seems to be a small group huddled on the floor. The subdued lighting of the passage makes seeing details hard.

OOC: Thanks for the dice rolls, but they weren't necessary. I will only make people roll when there is danger close.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Jonathan Moore and Pedro Rodriguez:

Jonathan notes Pedro trying to use the peephole. Emily, also responding to the sound of shots, also looks toward Pedro at the door, “See anything? Where’s Mr Hoffman, can you see him?”
Jonathan touches the ‘send’ icon, for a few moments the phone reports ‘sending’ then flashes ‘failed’.

Pedro can see very little through the peephole. Further down the passageway a lone figure can be seen moving toward the infirmary as doors open all along the passageway and heads appear, no doubt in response to the gunshots.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Ricky Moskey:

Holding Katie tightly you dash through the door noting as you do that the security officer has now become the focus of at least two blood covered creatures one of whom looks suspiciously like the ships doctor who had helped with Billy Haynes. What they are doing you have no wish to watch, just the tearing and squelching noises are bad enough. As you slow your dash and begin to move away, you wonder if the noises you can hear coming from the interior of the medical center point to a similar fate for the other security man. If so just how many of these ‘things’ are in there, where did they come from and what do they want.
All along the passageway doors are opening as passengers take a look to see who was firing. Within moments the corridor is a seen of pandemonia filled with screams and cries of horror. Your best option now seems to be to continue make your way towards the bow area of the ship and the lifts there.
OOC: The ‘nerves of steel’ was included, the +4 the minuses were the downside of having a dependant and the sight you’re seeing for the first time. There is no other exit from your cabin other than the single doorway. The bag is okay. Yes the skill level is added to your roll.
- Anais Nin
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

If there are people in the hallway between him and the monsters Ricky stops sneaking.
"D-Daddy?" Katie says, opening her eyes and on the verge of tears. Oh shit, she still has no idea what happened, think of something quick!
"Oh, sorry I yelled sweetheart daddy was just a little scared. You see there was a............... a uh,..........fire!" Ricky says quickly, lifting her up into a more comfortable position. "It doesn't look like anyone was hurt but I freaked out because it was so close to our cabin, we just need to get to the lifeboats now while the staff takes care of everything." Ricky explains/lies to his daughter, wearing a comforting smile on his face. She wore a slight pout that showed she wasn't convinced but she didn't say anything else, Ricky tried to think of ways to elaborate his story while walking towards the lifeboats.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Moore curses under his breath and tries to resend the message. He suddenly catches himself staring at the corpse of Jodie May and a shiver runs down his spine.

"We should cover her.", he speaks briefly as he rounds the bed and pulls loose the blankets, throwing them over the inert trophy wife.

Looking around the room for a phone, he can't help but notice the drinks cabinet. Jonathan marches over, glances quickly over the selection and pours them each a healthy helping of whiskey.

As he distributes the drinks, he talks, soothed by the sound of his own voice.

"The Irish believe whiskey is the water of life, and if it helped Tim Finnegan, who are we to argue about this blessed beverage?"

He raises his glass and drinks, his nerves dissipating somewhat and his composure restored.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to call my ex-wife and find out where my children are."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mr. Pear »

Aware of the fact that gunshots usually mark a possibly dangerous situation, Luke sneaks up as close as seems feasible without giving away his presence and sticks his head around the corner. Whoever those guys are huddled on the floor, they must have some part in this whole situation.
This keeps getting bigger. He’s got accomplices. And it looks like they’re looting their victim or something… It’s hard to make up from here, but I will find out one way or another!
Although he still doesn’t have a clue what to make of all this, he feels destined to capture some piece of evidence to show the police tomorrow and quickly takes a couple of pictures of the scene. His camera was already set to maximum light sensitivity to avoid the flash going off. The tension of sneaking up on a subject that might kill him if he’s revealed reminds him why nature photography was so much more rewarding than shooting ignorant blondes in bathing suits. This sudden wave of excitement suppresses the realisation of its rather inappropriate nature and fills him with a strangely familiar warm rush, reminiscent of his African times.
He turns around to the passengers that have left their rooms. He holds his hand like a gun and then points in the direction of the supposed culprits, hoping they will understand his improvised sign language as “Watch out, the gunman is still there!”
He checks the pictures on his camera, zooming in on the individuals to see if he can recognize anyone or see what they are doing.
OOC: How is the layout of the hallway and where are the doors to the infirmary? Is it on the same level as for example the rooms or in an outcropping? And is it in the middle section or end of the corridor?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's hard to make out details," says Pedro, squinting through the hole, "but I see someone moving towards the infirmary. That's probably Mr. Hoffman." He takes the glass from Jonathan, but he doesn't drink it. "Thank you, Mr. Moore, but I think I'll wait until things calm down before I imbibe. Under the circumstances, I may need to be sober."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

-Those were gunshots? Help me barricade the door! If there is some lunatic, I don't want to appear in tomorrow headlines as a tragic death for our country.
This reminds Marcello the first and only time he refused to accept bribes from the mob.

OOC: is there any furniture they can put in the door?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC: Rough deck plan, but hopefully will give everyone an idea of where they currently are on deck 4
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Luke Hoffman:

It is difficult in this light to make out any details without going, to your mind, dangerously close. From where you are the doors to the infirmary appear to be open. On the floor outside the infirmary door are a huddle of people, possibly three. Whatever they are doing they seem engrossed in it. You can hear sounds, possibly from within the infirmary or from the group on the floor, its difficult to tell, what with all the screaming, but it sound like someone messy eating.
You gesture at the enquiring faces along the corridor behind you, then zoom into the pictures you have taken hoping to see details...

OOC: I need a fear check. Please roll 1d10 + 3 (Willpower +1 for fast reaction time). You need above 9.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Marcello di Monti:

OOC: Very little most of the furniture seems built into the cabin, however, there will be enough to help secure the door, leaving only the french windows onto the private balcony/deck that looks out to the stern.
- Anais Nin
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Marcello will try then to barricade the door, but avoiding to make too much noise that could atract any attention to his room. And he will try not to be behind the door, in the case anyone shoot her.
-Gabriella, don't make any noise, we don't want anyone to come here until this is safe again!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC: Tonight post will be delayed I'm afraid. Today has been hectic and it seems I'm out tonight. I don't want to rush the story and cock things up, so tonights post will be tomorrow. Sorry :cry:
- Anais Nin
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mr. Pear »

OOC: how do the doors to the infirmary open/close/lock?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC: Position recap. At this time we have;
Pedro & Jonathan - In the Haynes cabin (403) with Dr Donahue.
Luke - a few meters from the Infirmary (coming from 403)
Ricky - Heading toward the rear of the ship. Carrying his daughter Katie.
Marcello - Barricading the door to his cabin. With his secretary Gabriella.

In answer to your question Mr Pear. The infirmary doors are double doors that open into the room, one is open. They are made of the same metal/plastic coated material as any other door, but feature two foot square 'frosted' security glass panels. They close by means of a simple handle system and lock/unlock by a similar electronic card swipe system as the doors to the cabins. Security personnel/cleaning staff have access to all rooms (when needed) via masterkeys.
- Anais Nin

Return to “Archive”