Moderator: Priest

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Re: Chapter One: ‘And the dead shall walk the earth’

Post by DrPeterson »

Jonathan, Deck 5.
The door to the bathroom begins to open when suddenly you hear a battery of screams, directionless but their sheer volume and number almost makes your heart stop.
“Wwwwhat was that?”
The bathroom door stops opening and for a moment you are scared that Mary in a panicked response to the screams will push the door closed, something that with your lack of strength you will not be able to oppose…

"I don't know what that was, baby, but Papa's going to get you out of here."

Jonathan looks from the bathroom door to the corridor, half expecting a stampede of flesh eaters to burst into the room.

"Now open the door, darling, we'll get out of here, find your brother and then take a vacation in a much nicer place, okay?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Jonathan, Deck 5.
Silence from behind the door seems to indicate that Mary is in two minds about what to do. However the slow movement of the door inwards shows that a decision has been made. “Okay Daddy”.
As the door slowly inches open hesitatingly, you are aware of movement in the corridor outside. From the sudden sounds of the slow, methodical, shuffling you have started equating to the infected, it would seem that there is a large group on the move.
As the noises increase in volume and proximity you suddenly see the first of the shadowy figures pass the open doorway seemingly heading towards the stairs from which you just came.
Luckily the slow opening of the bathroom door is restricting Mary’s view of the things, “What’s happening daddy?” Fortunately Mary is keeping her voice to a low whisper and none of the passing infected indicate having heard anything.
For some unknown reason the things are moving as a body, in the way a herd of animals might move when herded by a dog.
Somewhere deep inside you can feel a strange desire to follow as if someone was calling to you…
Luke, Outside, Deck 3.
Opening the hatch to get access to the lifeboat is relatively simple, the locking mechanism was never designed to deny a determined effort, probably some sort of safety measure you think.
With the hatch open the girl seems somewhat reluctant to enter the darkness within, “What if the monsters are inside?”
You begin to calm her fears pointing out that she will be safe inside and that with the hatch sealed from within only she will be able to open it. When the noise of slow movement can be heard coming from above in the bridge area. This noise combined with an ever loudening in the groaning sounds which accompany the infected hints that the infected from the bridge are starting to leave via the door just up from you.
You have no idea how many of the infected are on the bridge, but are certain that if they make it down from up there, you will have little option but to join Katie in hiding on the lifeboat.
If you are quick enough it might be possible to reach the open door to the bridge stairs first, close it thereby keeping the ones on the bridge away.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC: Just how strong is this strange desire? Can I resist it or is it rather overwhelming?
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Oh, I'd thought that the stairs went to the bridge. In that case, we'll head for the door to the bridge.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

DrPeterson wrote:OOC: Just how strong is this strange desire? Can I resist it or is it rather overwhelming?
OOC,Just a niggling desire, it does little more than pique your curiosity. Oh and strangely your feeling a little better than you did earlier, less dead.
[/color]
- Anais Nin
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

Marcello will follow Pedro.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Jonathan Moore whispers to his daughter to be quiet for just a bit longer. He puts his good hand around the door, holding it as shut as he can, but making sure Mary can't push the door in the lock again and watches the parade shuffle by.

As he is trying to count their number, he suddenly notices that he isn't out of breath any more and smiles, unsure about what it means.
He scans the room to see if his laptop bag is still somewhere to be found, he knows he's got at least one pack of cigarettes in it AND a lighter.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Jonathan, Deck 5.
You count at least thirty moving at different speeds, but given that there are stairs at both ends of the corridor, if the stairs are their destination, there could be a mass of them on the move to god knows where.
As they pass the occasional one looks towards you but other than that they seem to take no interest.
Mary obviously taking your warning to heart makes no attempt to move the door, you cannot even hear her breathing.
Across from you on top of the bedside cabinet is the familiar shape of your laptop case, that it is open you can tell by the familiar green light that marks the charged battery.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Mr. Pear »

Luke, realising that both their chances are at stake, shivers by the thought of that swarm of abominations spreading out over this deck. He kneels down next to the terrified girl to embrace her.
"I can assure you there are no monsters in this lifeboat since it's been locked all the time. But we must be quick really quick. Get inside, lock it from within and only open up again when i get back, ok? Now, lemme help you.", he whispers in a fast yet soft way. He puts the MP5 on the ground and lifts her up with his left arm, pulling the lifeboat closer with his right, to facilitate the girls boarding process. As soon as she's safely inside with all limbs he stabilises the boat, picks up the gun and makes the run of his life to the bridge door.
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by Garrett »

Ricky doesn't need to be told twice, he sprints for the stairs with the cuban. As soon as they're a good distance away he turns to him. "Hey, give me the gun, I know how to use it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Pedro nods, makes sure the safety is engaged, and hands the MP5 to Ricky. He snatches up a fire etinguisher from the wall as he runs for the door to the bridge.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Deck 3: Pedro, Ricky, Marcello and Gabriella
As you burst onto the part of the deck with its complement of lifeboats heading for the door that gives access to the bridge stairs, you are aware of various things.
First, the sudden burst of warm, fresh, air and a sudden intensity of light after the darkness of the ships interior, it is still dark just not as dark.
Second, as you exit the ships interior you notice that the floor of the deck is awash with, amongst other things you have no wish to think about, millions of pieces of broken glass, no doubt from the broken windows that line the wall between you and your goal.
Third, that a figure, vaguely recognisable as the photographer you had been with earlier, is in mid run towards the very same doorway. He is carrying another of the MP5s and seems intent upon arriving as fast as possible at the door.
Fourth, and probably most disturbing of all, you are aware that the sound of moaning is growing louder and seems to have its source beyond that same doorway…
Deck 3: Luke.
With a half curse, you wheel from the lifeboat and begin fast run toward the open doorway that leads to the bridge. As you get closer the deck becomes slippery with blood and mess. As you run you swing the MP5 into a firing position covering the dark opening and hoping that the magazine still contains enough bullets to make some sort of difference if the horrors within reach it before you.
Within a few feet of your goal you are surprised by a sudden eruption of running people from within the ship itself. All of them seem familiar especially the lead figure brandishing a fire extinguisher instead of his more familiar baseball bat…
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Jonathan decides to suppress the urge to see and hold his daughter for just a few more.

"Mary, stay quiet, I'll be right back."

Barely managing to keep himself upright, he makes for his laptop bag, takes out the computer and turns it on. While he waits for it to boot, he rummages inside the bag, looking for his fags and fire.

He lights up and inhales deeply, letting out a sigh of relief, the pain in his arm and body momentarily forgotten.
Waiting for the laptop to find a mobile network, he turns on his webcam and records a video message.

"I am Jonathan Moore and if you see this video, I'm probably dead..."

He draws on the cigarette again, relishing the dramatic pause in his narrative and then continues.

"What started out as a pleasure cruise on board the Pinnacle has turned into the maiden voyage from hell. Texan arm dealer Billy J. Haynes died unexpectedly during the opening gala, but came back to live and started eating the crew and passengers. Those that died didn't just stay down, they rose as well and started eating those that were still alive and unspoilt. Ship systems died and as survivors managed to retake engineering, they discovered a team of unidentified militia on board the ship."

He coughs dryly and takes a deep breath, holding the cigarette between his lips as he unrolls the blood soaked bandage around his arm. He holds up the wound to the camera.

"I've been bitten, and ever since I've been bitten those creatures seem to no longer take interest in me. They either think I'm not tasty any more or worse, that I'm turning...turning into one of them.

If this some secret government weapon's experiment, I hope it comes back to bite you fuckers in the ass. If it's a terrorist attack, I hope you get those fuckers before this gets out of hand. This was Jonathan Moore on board the Pinnacle and I hope you never get to see this message.
"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Jonathan, Deck 5.
Luckily during your recording nothing appeared in the doorway to ivestigate the noise. You finish your message and glance at the laptop which is still searching for a network, unsuccessfully it seems. After what seems an age it flashes a message that it is unable to connect.
The laptop seems to be functioning okay and the battery seems to be fully charged, it just doesn;t seem to be able to connect to any network.
In the silence you are aware that the bathroom door has fully opened and a voice shaking with a mixture of fear and anxiety squeaks, "Daddy are you okay?"
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Jonathan closes the laptop and tucks it back in the pack, making sure it's properly shut. He rolls down his sleeve and turns around to look at his daughter with a smile.

I am now, Mary pumpkin, I am now.

He motions for his daughter to remain where she is and takes a few surprisingly balanced strides towards the door, looking out in the hallway if there are any more shufflers around, he then carefully closes the door and goes back to Mary to hug her.

I'm so happy you're okay, baby. We're going to play a little dressing up game now. You're going to put on Papa's dirty shirt, so the monsters don't recognise you, okay?

Jonathan takes off his shirt, hissing as the fabric brushes over his wound and gives it to Mary.

I know it's filthy, dear, but it's the only to get you out of here.

He quickly takes out a clean shirt and puts it on, before slinging the laptop bag over his shoulder.

Are you ready to go, dear?
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mr. Pear »

Equally surprised as relieved by seeing these familiar figures, Luke realises his survival perspectives have considerably increased. He raises his hand to the group, as if he really needed to do that to draw their attention.
"Close the dooooor!!! They're in the bridge! Close the bridge door! Quiiick!"
Anticipating a late reaction by the oncoming crowd, he puts everything in his sprint to make it to the door as fast as possible.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Lock the door behind us, jam it if you can!" says Pedro as he hurries towards the stairs to the bridge, being careful to avoid stepping on broken glass. "I left my brother Hector on the bridge!" he calls ahead to Luke. "Did he get out?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

Marcello will leave this time the sprint to someone else.
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mr. Pear »

I sure hope not.. the only escapees I saw at this side are that mans daughter and a dead soldier. Anyone else left in there ain't got a chance anymore...
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Deck 3: Pedro, Ricky, Marcello, Gabriella and Luke.

Luke and Pedro arrive at the bridge door first, fortunately before the first of the infected make it down the stairs from the bridge.
Fortunately it seems the doors onto the outside deck open inwards and given your experience with the infected so far it seems that the simple act of opening a door is beyond them.
So with the door to the bridge secured and the door you came through to access the outside closed and the handle jammed shut, you feel temporarily safe. Although the ominous creaking from the ship and the ever increasing list does little to inspire ease.
Jonathan, Deck 5.
Looking left and right at the doorway shows that the corridor is empty. Wherever the herd had been going they are nowhere to be seen,
Mary, wrapped in the remains of your shirt which fortunately in the low light she is unable to see the state of, sniffs, “Poo, this shirt smells bad daddy”
- Anais Nin

Return to “Archive”