Chapter One: ‘And the dead shall walk the earth’

Moderator: Priest

Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Chapter One: ‘And the dead shall walk the earth’

Post by Garrett »

"More then I know." Ricky replies, a stony expression on his face.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

He flicks the butt of his cigar overboard and leans against the railing.

You’d be surprised how many people faint or have heart attacks at cocktail parties and receptions. This isn’t the first obese, sweaty Texan I see going down after a few too many. He’ll be up in no time, trust me.

A barely perceptible tone of worry creeps into his voice.

If our charming doctor doesn’t take too long to appear, that is...
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Like a flash both Luke and Pedro had gone for help only to find help rushing to them. The collapse of the Texan had been seen by his wife and both her and the doctor are almost at the doors by the time Pedro pushes them open.
At the sight of her husband lying with his head supported by the white tuxedo of Jonathan Moore. Who is beginning to look a little concerned, Jodie May lets out a short, but high pitched, scream of alarm. “Billy…What?” she turns ashen faced toward the following doctor, “Please do something. Don’t let my Billy die”
Within moments the doctor has begun a routine of CPR, after having removed the tuxedo pillow from the Texan’s head to an untidy heap some feet from the patient.
She continues CPR while the others including Jodie May watch as a medical team make their way, at speed, through the crowd of onlookers that stand at the doorway.
A brief conversation takes place between the doctor and the head of the medical team. The conversation is held in hushed tones, but from the occasional shaking of heads and glances towards the distraught figure of Jodie May, you guess the prognosis isn’t good.
As quickly as they can Billy Haynes is lifted onto a board and carried away through the crowd towards the lifts, followed by the shaking Jodie May.
Once she and they have departed, the doctor, perspiring from her efforts, produces a pack of Marlboro and places a cigarette between her lips. “Emily Donahue from Miami” she smiles and brushes an errant strand of hair from her eyes, “Would any of you gentlemen have a light?”

OOC: A bit early :D
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ricky shook his head at the women's prompt. "Is he dead?" Ricky said in a tone that didn't show too much concern. If anything he was curious, and didn't want to go pick up his daughter just yet. He'd procrastinate that as long as he could.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

With a fluid movement, Jonathan produces his lighter and held it out to Emily, the sudden scene of death nearly forgotten.

"Jonathan Moore, from Naples.", he smiled charmingly at the doctor and asked languidly:
"May I commend you on your quick reflexes, Dr Donahue?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Mr. Pear »

A bit surprised by the stream of people that rushed passed him as he reached the door they came out, Luke Hoffman stands pinned to the ground for a moment. As soon as the calm has returned he shuffles back to the crowd. Looking down onto the picture of the collapsing Texan on his camera, he blends back in with the others. A cold shiver runs down his spine when he zooms in on the strained face.
“Well… that sure ain't a good way to inaugurate a new vessel..” he says a little uncomfortable.
He can’t help but wonder if the girls on the other deck are having a merrier take-off and ponders about escaping the grim scene "for professional duties".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Pedro Rodriguez," says Pedro, also giving Emily his best smile. "I live in Miami too, but I've only recently moved there. You did an excellent job, Dr. Donahue. You did everything that could have been done. Sometimes there is nothing one can do."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Emily allows Jonathan Moore to light her cigarette her eyes say thanks as she exhales a stream of smoke. "Thank you Gentlemen, its always nice to have your skills recognised", again she takes a pull on the cigarette and blows smoke into the gentle sea breeze. You conclude that there is something alluring in the manner that she smokes the cigarette. "Of course you Gentlemen are only to aware of the need for recognition, I have read some of your work Mr Moore, and seen your amazing picrures Mr Hoffman, and although not a sports fan myself my brother watches the Marlins and has spoken glowingly of yourself Mr Rodriguez", She turns toward the fourth member of your group, "In answer to your question, Yes Mr Haynes is dead. A massive coronary I'm afraid, he was probably dead before he hit the deck", she smiles a little apologeticaly, "I'm sorry I dont know your name...Mr?"
- Anais Nin
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"....Moskey" He mutters out as he gives the author a short glance. Well I doubt there will be any cigars now, might as well head back. He thinks to himself. "Well, it's been tons of fun but, my daughters waiting for me and I really outta get to the room."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Moore raises an apologetic eyebrow at Moskey, but his expression changes quickly as he observes the doctor's sensuous movement, a primal hunger awaking somewhere deep down.

"Please, Doctor Donahue, since you already seem to know us quite well, call me Jonathan."

He smiles charmingly, looks at where the Texan died and then raises his cigar in salute.

"To life and an unquenchable lust for it!"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Following Ricky Moskey's departure the rest of you return to the party, despite it having been soured a little by the recent death. However there is still champagne, or whatever your poison, to be drunk, food to be eaten and conversation to be had.
Eventually though the festivities start to wind down and some of you start thinking about turning in for what remains of the early hours, knowing that the arrival of the Pinnacle in Nassau is scheduled for 8:00 am.
Led by Emily, who still seems morning fresh, you begin the lift journey to the passenger decks below. The lift stops at deck four, where some of you have cabins, and the doors slide open to reveal an awful sight. As if waiting for the lifts arrival Jodie May, last seen accompanying the body of her husband, leans against the bulkhead.
She cradles her right forearm which is covered in blood, the red of her blood contrasting with her pale mascara streaked visage. At sight of you she sobs and collapses to the floor, “They’re all dead…Billy and everyone is dead”, with an effort, she pushes up from the floor, “Please help me find my room, it’s on this deck somewhere 403 somewhere near the front”. Emily rushes forward and looks at the bleeding arm, “Jesus! If one of you gentlemen has a tie or a belt or something to use to stop this bleeding?”

OOC: Garrett as your character left the party earliest you will get a separate post, all other characters are assumed to be in the lift with Dr Donahue.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Ricky Moskey:
Having left the party you head back to your cabin situated on deck four, where your daughter has been under the watchful eye of the ships sitting service. As you walk down the silent passageway towards your cabin you see signs indicating the location of the ships infirmary, where they had probably taken the body of the Texan indeed as you pass the frosted glass doors that are marked ‘Medical Facility’ you hear muffled noises that you presume are the sounds of distress being uttered by the new widow.
Momentarily you pause, considering supplying a comforting shoulder, you smile ruefully, not tonight, and continue the few yards down the dimly lit passageway towards cabin 43 where your bunk and your child await you.
Later after how long you aren’t certain but at the most it is an hour, you are disturbed by muffled screams, followed by running feet outside your door. A sound that quickly diminishes…
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Moore stops mid-sentence and drops his glass champagne as he is startled by the sudden appearance of the bloody girl. At Emily's prompting he quickly gives her his tie, which he'd already undone together with a few of his shirt's buttons as the evening went on.

"Dead? I'm sure it's alright, darling, try to calm down, doctor Donahue will look after you...", he tries to soothe the girl, gently supporting her, helping her to her feet.

He looks at the others and says:
"Shouldn't we get her to the infirmary instead of to her room?"
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

OOC-I apologize for the inconvenience of leaving the party, I didn't think the action would start so soon.
Ricky feels something nudging him and wakes up, instead of opening his eyes he releases a low growl. When the nudging continues he knocks the hand away and opens his eyes, ready to knock out whatever stupid friend of his disturbed him. He is a little shocked by the innocent face standing in front of him. What the hell is....
"Daddy?" A small voice says softly.
Suddenly his eyes shoot open as he remembers where he is; he pulls himself up and looks at his daughter. "Oh uh, high sweetheart, what's wrong?" He says, somewhat dazed.
"Someone screamed outside our door." She said in a concerned tone.
"I'm sure it's nothing, you were probably just dreaming." Or some girl's getting rammed in the hallway. He thinks with slight amusement. Katie shakes her head vigorously before speaking. "No Daddy I wasn't, they sounded really scared." She says, pushing him to do something. He stares at her pleading expression for another moment before standing up with a heavy groan. He was wearing nothing but an under armor shirt and a pair of boxers as he trudged to the door. Not being shy about noise he pushes the door open and looks in both directions, half hoping that there is someone out here that he can vent his frustration on.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What happened?" asks Pedro, concerned. "I know Billy died, but other people too?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At Jonathan's mention of the infirmary, Jodie May, turns her head and regards him with a souless stare of terror, "No!...Not there. Please to my room, I need to rest"
To Pedro's question she merely shakes her head and mutters between sobs, "Dead...All dead"
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Ricky Moskey:

Opening the door, and allowing his eyesight to adjust to the low lighting of the passageway, Ricky sees that for its length there is no one. Thinking that Katie had been dreaming, probably a result of goodness knows what crap food the sitters had fed her, he is about to close the door when he sees blood on the floor. A better look reveals that someone had passed by the door recently from the redness of the blood carrying a heavy wound. Amongst the blood there are shoeprints leading toward the lifts further down the passageway. Strange thinks Ricky, the footsteps seem to be leading away from where he had seen the medical centre rather than to it...

OOC: Leaving the party earlier than the others was not a problem, it will make things more interesting.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Mr. Pear »

Luke takes a quick look around the corridor for traces of the deceased Texan and the medical team and looks back at his wreck of a wife, frowning confusedly.
Not entirely sure how to approach her in this condition, he takes a few hesitating steps forward.
"Ehm... excuse me, miss May... I don't want to stress you any more with this tragedy, but if you say the medics are dead too, where are the bodies?"
He quickly glances at his companions' facial expressions to see if anyone else can make more sense out of this.

OOC: I didn't write it in blue because I'm currently online on my phone and those buttons don't work :-)
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Jonathan Moore frowns as he hears the girl ramble and shakes his head. He slides one arm under hers, motioning for Pedro to do the same on the other side.

"Far from being a doctor, I'd say she's clearly in shock, delusional maybe. Perhaps we ought to bring her to her room then?"

He looks at Emily for confirmation.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ricky continues staring at the bloody footprints, wondering what the hell is going on.
"Daddy?" Katie asks, making him jolt, and then close the door when he sees her approaching. After quickly racing through his mind for what he should do he speaks up.
"Yeah it looks like someone might have got a little hurt but it's nothing to worry about....But you know what, lets call security just to be safe." He says, going to the room's telephone and calling the lobby/security desk. Meanwhile pulling her up onto the bed with him and keeping an eye on the door.

Return to “Archive”