IC-Ep 2-Fishing for Clues(Story only)

The TARDIS goes missing, dragged into the sea by something inhuman. During their investigations, Story and his companions join up with the team from UNIT. Leonek and Salem make a horrifying discovery.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Fishing for Clues(Story only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm no rich man," said Zeke, pausing to hiccup. He took another slug of whiskey. "I sometimes find bits o' gold washed up on shore, but not usually actual coins or anything. Although this one time I found an old Roman coin. Sold it to the museum for a nice sum. Lake brought back a lot of gold, but I never held any of it myself. I imagine his children still got some. There'd be some in the church, worked into decorations and whatnot. Anyone wealthy might've been paid with some of the gold by Lake." He felt a tug on his line and reeled it in, revealing a herring flapping about on the hook. "Got one!" He expertly slammed it against the side of the boat to kill it, then took out a small knife and gutted the fish. He tossed the guts over the side and proceeded to clean the fish. "That'll draw the bigger fish, but hopefully no sharks. If one of those shows up, we'll have to move on."
OOC,[b]Story[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Roll Spot Hidden,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4061846/]roll[/url] chance 28 roll 64 After examining the ocean carefully Story notices the presence of water. BTW sorry for the delay. You'd think I'd have the smarts to go to page 2 on my own. You'd be right, but only after wondering for 4 days why there are no new posts.
Story: "Wow that's a nice one; with any luck bigger and better fish await" Story was thinking about what had been discussed when he remembered the object of Dr. Kirby's mission 'The Eye of the Hydra' Sapphire.

"You know, a rumor has been floating around about a woman who came to town looking for a Sapphire called 'The Eye of the Hydra' supposedly entombed within one of Dunwich's sunken churches. Apparently she had set about to dive for it. You ever see her or hear about the Sapphire? I think it's an interesting legend."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, aye," said Zeke, nodding. "I heard tell about that legend once. I think Virgil Soames, the surviving son of Edward Soames, Senior, wrote something about it. I did meet a young lady a couple days back. She didn't say anything about the gem, but she did say she was thinking of going diving and exploring the sunken buildings. Her name's Valerie Kirby. She's a doctor, real pretty too. I warned her how dangerous it was. Bad things can happen..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
"You saw the doctor? Where did you see her at? Did she mention where she was going to dive?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I met her on the beach," said Zeke. "Not far from where I met you. She was real nice, even brought me something to drink just like you did. She didn't say where she was thinking of diving. I really hope she decided not to do it. Somethin' dreadful might happen."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
"I'm starting to get the picture that one should mind their Ps and Qs in Dunwich. You have to admire the Soames'. Resisting the allure of riches for higher virtue is an uncommon trait in humanity. You know I heard that though Loake is gone, Lake's family is still running the show in town. Bertie his son in particular. Though he hasn't been seen in a while I understand; I've heard rumors of illness. Have you heard anything about Bertie? He does have a daughter I hear, Victoria. I hope she's OK"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Josiah's children run Dunwich now," said Zeke. "Particularly Bertie. He's been sickly for years now. The illness first appeared in the seventies. It must have come from the islands - it only seems to affect the children of those strange women. Bertie hasn't been seen in public for years now. Victoria is his sister, and she's showing signs of it too, but she isn't as far along. Of course, she's a bit younger. Bertie's got a son named Joshua, just turned eighteen a few weeks ago. He hasn't come down with it, but it doesn't really start to affect people until they're in their twenties and thirties. I also know that Bertie's a widower. He married the late Father Stewart's daughter, sister of the current Father Stewart. She died in childbirth when Joshua was born, and Bertie was heartbroken. He never got over her, and he's been lonely ever since."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
Hmmmm. A mysterious illness that only effects those descended from the women that Lake brought from afar. Very mysterious indeed.

"Victoria is 'showing signs' of this illness? What are the signs of the illness? What about the current Father Stewart? He is supposedly descended from a marriage to a woman Lake brought home, is has he to presented signs of this illness? Has anyone actually died from this illness? Or been seen by a medical doctor for it?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"First thing you notice is that people get all ugly," said Zeke. "It often starts with the eyes getting bigger. Their hair starts to fall out, even the women, and their skin gets kind of scaly. They smell bad too, like rotten fish. Their fingers become webbed. Probably the toes too, but, ah, I have no desire to look. As the years go by, they get more deformed. They start looking a bit like them Sea Devils, as a matter of fact. I can't tell for sure if Father Stewart's got it. His eyes do look a little big, but then they've always been big. Nobody's died from it far as I know. The only doctor in town is Dr. Richard Strong. He lives in the Rose Cottage, in the middle of St. James's Street, on the north side. It's right near the phone booth. He's older than me, and he was a grown man when the troubles started after the war, but not yet a doctor. He was in the war too, towards the end. A corpsman, I believe. I imagine he treats a lot of folks in Dunwich, but I don't think the Lakes go to him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
A progressive condition that morphs the afflicted to ever more aquatic in appearance; Strange indeed. He would have to speak with Fr. Stewart if he can be found. Some good hypotheticals were surfacing, but the religious angle was still a complete mystery. But honestly Story was running out of avenues of inquiry.

"any bites?"
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

OOC,This post continues from the previous
Story:
"You know we've it seems you spend some time out here on the water. You've seen, strange things. What about while you've been out here on the water? Has there been anything you've seen in the deeps below that seems out of place?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I sometimes see things moving down there," said Zeke. "Can't tell for sure what. My eyesight ain't as good as it used to be. Maybe it's sharks, maybe it's...them. Either way, I steer clear of 'em. Bad things happen to folks what don't." There was a tug on the line just then, and the little boat rocked. "My, that's a big one!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
"You've got him Zeke! Don't let him get away!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Zeke reeled in the big fish, showing a good deal of strength in spite of his age. A large salmon about half as long as his arm landed in the boat and flopped around until he smacked it. Then he proceeded to gut and clean it. "This is a nice one," he said. "I'm going to eat well tonight!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
"Look at that one! A beauty indeed! A fine addition to the dinner table. A fair day of fishing after all!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And we're not done yet," said Zeke, beaming. "The fish are plentiful here. This one's a keeper, but I'm sure I'll be able to catch some more to sell." He put fresh bait on the hook and lowered it back into the water.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

story:

"Good fishing spot eh? What do you reckon brings the fish here?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, the Lake family would like to take credit for it," said Zeke. "Fishing's been plentiful since shortly after Josiah Lake came home. Father Stewart would say that we're blessed because of our faith. He and his old man before him promised that if we believe and obey, we'd have a bounty of fish, and they seem to have delivered. I don't rightly know myself why there's so many fish, but I'm glad of it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:

"I was just wondering if this a particularly good spot"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Better than most," said Zeke. "I have been fishing most of my life, and I know how to pick my spots. But this whole area's been pretty good."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”