Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 2-Beneath the Surface(Leonek/Salem)

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Dunwich Beach - Dunwich, England
12:50 PM - Thursday, September 5, 1985

Leonek Novak and Salem Shields walked south along the beach. Occasionally they passed a tourist or two, sitting on blankets on the beach having a picnic or swimming in the surf. Cliffs towered above them to their right, gradually approaching the shoreline. As they continued, they reached a largely deserted area of the beach. It ended at a point a short distance ahead where the cliffs met the sea. The only other thing here was a large shack with a sign above its door that said "Horsham's." A few boats rested to its side, upended.
OOC,[b]Leonek[/b] and [b]Salem[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.

Re: IC-Ep 2-Beneath the Surface(Leonek/Salem)

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:36 am
by DetectiveSocks
Salem softly hummed to himself as he walked along the beach with Leonek, the song Mr. Blue Sky replayed in his mind over and over again. The calm weather and the soothing sound of the tides, left Salem preoccupied with his own thoughts.

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Leonek looked around, but he didn't notice anything unusual. Salem had seen that the drag marks under the water had led in this direction, but he could no longer make them out.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:03 pm
by DrPeterson
Leonek looked at the shack and at Salem and shrugged.

Might I suggest we go inside, sjir?

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Salem nods at Leonek and takes the lead towards the shack.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:15 pm
by Mr. Handy
Salem opened the door, revealing the interior of a shop. A thirtyish man in a gray fisherman's mackintosh and a matching hat that partially obscured his face stood behind the counter. Behind him was a door leading further inside. An old-fashioned cash register and telephone stood atop the counter. Fishing rods hung on display on the walls, and a sign indicated that he sold live bait. There was also diving equipment, all the way from snorkels and flippers to full SCUBA suits with oxygen tanks.

"Good day, chaps," said the man with a rasping voice. "I'm Horsham, and welcome to my shop. Can I interest you in anything?"
OOC,[b]Leonek[/b] and [b]Salem[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:43 pm
by DrPeterson
"Hjello..."

Leonek's voice trails off as his attention is drawn to all the fantastic diving gear.

Spot Hidden Fail,[url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4169614/[/url]

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, are you gentlemen interested in doing some diving?" inquired Horsham.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:13 am
by DrPeterson
"Ah yes, diving...", Leonek answers almost reluctantly, "We're looking to do some diving, yes. We'd like to go look at the ruins of the old town."
He looks at Salem and then back at the man.
"Just the two of us, please."

He tries to put on his innocent/charming smile, the extra effort bleeding through in his accent.

"Do you gjet a lot of pjeople hjere?"

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:12 pm
by Mr. Handy
"We do," said Horsham, "though most of them just come in for the fishing. We sell bait, and we rent fishing boats, rods, and other gear. Every so often we get folks like you come to dive. If you're not going too deep or staying under too long, snorkels and flippers will do. If you're going to spend a long time down there, you'll want to rent full diving suits and air tanks. You will need to leave a deposit, of course."

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:11 am
by DrPeterson
Leonek nods vigorously.
Yes, we'd like to stay down for a bit and look around. Is there much too see? I mean, is the visibility good?

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, it's rather murky down there," said Horsham. "We do have SCUBA suits with attached electric torches designed to work underwater, but you still can't see very far with them. I trust you gentlemen know what you're doing. Diving is quite dangerous, as I'm sure you know. I can rent you each suit for five quid a day, with a deposit of a hundred quid. You'll get that back when you return the suit."

Between the two of them, they barely had enough cash to cover the rental and deposits.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:52 am
by DrPeterson

Although not entirely familiar with diving, Leonek had confidence in his wits and military training to see him through this alive. He nodded at Horsham and consented to the fees. While making the deposit, Leonek tries to "casually" ask:
"I look forward to this. A friend of mine said she'd meet us here for diving, you wouldn't happen to have seen her, would you, a very pretty intelligent woman, very inquisitive and passionate, Valerie Kirby?"

Leonek's voice and manner emboldened when he spoke about Dr Kirby.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:56 am
by DetectiveSocks
Browsing through the displays of bait and fishing rods, Salem was engrossed by the many colours and ornaments. Salem looked over to see Leonek interviewing Horsham. Although Salem was uninterested in diving, he was more interested in meeting Zeke Baker. Unfortunately, Salem didn't take into account of how little money they had.

Salem interjected into the conversation, "what's the fee of just borrowing a boat?
Spot Hidden,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4171191/]49%[/url]

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, I haven't seen her," Horsham told Leonek. "Don't get many women here." He turned to Salem. "A small, two-man boat will run you four pounds a day, plus an eighty pound deposit. The boats are out front. You must have seen them on your way in."
Salem Shields,When [b]Salem[/b] got a closer look at [b]Horsham[/b]'s hands, he noticed that he had slightly scaly skin and webbed fingers.
OOC,If you want to rent a boat, you can still afford to rent one diving suit, but not two. Both of you may roll Psychology.

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:10 am
by DrPeterson
Psychology-FAIL,[url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4172627/[/url]
Leonek doesn't seem to have a clue.

He looks at Salem and then back at the boatsman.

We'll take one suit and a boat then.

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:03 pm
by DetectiveSocks
"Can you excuse us for a few seconds?" Salem takes Leonek aside and whispers into his ear, "I didn't know you had scuba training, was there something down there you wanted to checkout?"

Psychology,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4173243/]77%[/url]
OOC,[b]Mr. Handy[/b] can you update my inventory on the [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=135154#p135154]Cast of Character[/url] page when I bought those items from the giftshop? Thanks :D

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:42 pm
by DrPeterson
Leonek furrows his brow and whispers back, heavily accented because of the sudden question:

Maybe you all spoke to fjast, but I was under thje imprjessjon that ve vould see if ve could not find vhjere the track lead to.

He shrugs and sighs unhappily.

I know about as much about djiving as I do about pilotjing a wessle.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I've updated the character sheet with the gift shop items. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 am
by DetectiveSocks
"It might be wise if we stay dry. We don't know what we're up against and whatever it is, it probably shits bigger than both of us together. Curiosity killed the cat, and we don't have the proper training to go diving into murky waters."
OOC,[url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=233&t=4054&start=60]I also bought a lighter, a mug, a few postcards, a notebook and a pen.[/url] The lighter can be added to the list, but my postcards and notebook I intend to use as 'dead drops' later on during the investigation.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:35 am
by DrPeterson

He sighs resignedly:
All right, all right, just the boat thjen?

Leonek furrows his brow, not quite comprehending the figure of speech.

What cat?

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:09 am
by DetectiveSocks
Salem replies, "satisfaction will bring it back". Returning back to Horsham, "Sorry about that, but I think we'll be fine with just the boat". Looking back at Leonek, "unless you're up for some fishing?"

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 pm
by DrPeterson
Leonek utters a few uncomprehending syllables and then lets out another exasperated sigh. He would love to go fishing, but he can't relax before the find Dr Kirby, can he?

Just the boat then, the fishing will have to wait.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
"All right," said Horsham, ringing up the rental on the old cash register. "You can pay your deposit and the fee for the first day now, and if you keep the boat longer than a day, I'll just take it out of the deposit and return the rest to you. That will be eighty-four quid, please." After he puts the payment away in the register, he continues. "You can choose any one of the smaller boats out front. Do you chaps want some fishing gear and bait, too?"

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:04 am
by DetectiveSocks
"The fishing gear come at an extra cost?" As Salem exchanges quick glances with Leonek to see his reaction.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
Horsham let out a dry raspy chuckle. "Of course you'll have to pay extra," he said. "I could hardly stay in business if I just give my stuff away."

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:48 am
by DrPeterson
"We will pay, no problem!"

Leonek pulls out his wallet and gladly contributes the necessary sum.

"Let's hit the open sea, yes?"

He seems anxious to get going, you can't really tell if it's the prospect of going fishing or of doing something to find Dr Kirby.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:24 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Salem thought to himself that it may be a good idea to do some fishing. The samples of the fish may prove if these open seas are truly polluted, but it's an ocean and the prospect of it may prove unfruitful.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Horsham rang up the sale and provided Leonek with a rod and reel, as well as a small bucket full of live nightcrawlers that he got from behind the counter. "You chaps enjoy yourselves fishing," he said. "Come back any time."

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:20 pm
by DrPeterson
Thank you, mjister!

Leonek smiled brightly, took his treasure outside and made for the boat.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Salem and Leonek carried their fishing supplies outside. The boats were upended out front, and a few of them were the smaller variety suitable for two people, all of which looked more or less the same.
OOC,[b]Leonek[/b] and [b]Salem[/b], please roll Spot HIdden.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:31 pm
by DrPeterson
Leonek is extraordinarily sharp due to his enthusiasm to go fishing.
Success!,[url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4192339[/url]/
OOC: My on-board dice roller doesn't seem to be working in this thread. [dice]1d100[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think the online dice roller has to be activated for each board in order for it to work on that board.
Leonek Novak,As [b]Leonek[/b] looked out to sea, he noticed some fishing boats off in the distance, scattered about. One small boat had a man inside fishing who looked to be in his fifties. He matched the description of [b]Zeke Baker[/b]. [b]Leonek[/b] could also see the drag marks beneath the surface of the water as they ran north and south, parallel to the coast. They continued south past the point where the beach ended and the cliffs rose.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:07 am
by DrPeterson

He made a mental note to mention the tracks to Salem when Horsham had left, for now he was happy to help get the boat ready and head out in the direction of where he'd seen Zeke Baker's boat.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:52 am
by DetectiveSocks
Salem remembered that he saw a man with Zeke Baker earlier today, but when he looked out to sea, he wasn't sure if he could see him still or not. Salem realized that he forgot to bring some liquor with him, to help loosen Mr. Baker's mind. Hopefully, Salem was hoping that Mr.Baker is still a little buzzed.

"Let's make our way towards Mr. Baker"

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Salem Shields,[b]Salem[/b] could see the boat he had seen before, not too far from its earlier position. [b]Zeke Baker[/b] was inside it, fishing, but there was no sign of the other man. [b]Salem[/b] also saw the drag marks underwater now. They went a short distance to the south, to where the base of the cliffs stood beneath the sea. At that point he could make out an underwater cave opening, the waterline only a few feet above it. The marks led into it.
Salem and Leonek got into the boat and paddled out to sea. It didn't take them long to get within shouting distance of Zeke's boat.

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:14 pm
by DrPeterson
"We should follows those tracks once we're done talking to that Zeke-character.", Leonek whispered as he prepared the fishing lines.

"If you do the talking, I'll pretend to be fishing."

Leonek cast out his lines, thoroughly enjoying the whooshing sound the line made as he threw it out to sea.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 am
by DetectiveSocks
Looking towards Mr. Zeke's direction, Salem belts out, "You got any decent drinks to share, kind stranger? My friend and I forgot to bring any to enjoy the nice weather! We'll owe you one back at the pub"

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Zeke held up an empty bottle of scotch. "Sorry," he called, his voice slurring a little. "I done finished all mine."

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 am
by DrPeterson

Although casual conversation isn't Leonek's forte, he tries to chip in too.

How are the fish today? Are they biting? I am tying up nightcrawlers, myself.

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:36 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, they're biting, all right!" Zeke replied. "This is a good spot, too. I've got quite a haul, including a rather large salmon."

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:52 am
by DrPeterson
Leonek shows an appreciative thumbs-up, these are the eighties after all.

A salmon! I didn't know there were salmon here! Amazing! Is this the best spot for line fishing, sir, or is it better near the cliffs over there?

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy
"This is the best spot I've found, mate," said Zeke. "You don't want to fish near the cliffs; too close to land."

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:10 am
by DetectiveSocks
"Say friend!" as Salem casually rowed the boat closer to Zeke, "Am I crazy to think there's a cave down there? I swear I can make out a cave down there," as Salem feigns a laugh.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:45 am
by DrPeterson
Leonek nods affirmatively at Salem's remark.

Cave fishing! That would be something, indeed!

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:11 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Aye, I've noticed that cave before," said Zeke. "At low tide, it's mostly above the waterline."

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:06 pm
by DrPeterson
"Really?! That is good news!"

Leonek turns to Salem

"There will be plenty of shjellfish thjere! Perhaps even a lobster or two! We should go fish there."

He nods at Zeke in a friendly manner.

"Thank you, sjir, we owe you a drink when we get back to town!"

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Zeke tipped his hat. "Thank you kindly, sir!" he said. "I'll be sure to take you up on that!"

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:59 am
by DrPeterson
If Salem doesn't have any further questions, Leonek starts piloting the boat towards the cave.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 am
by DetectiveSocks
Salem waves back at Mr. Baker, as he signals Leonek to take point and helps paddle the boat.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Zeke waved back as Leonek and Salem paddled back to shore. Soon they reached the base of the cliffs, where Salem could see the cave opening. It was about ten feet high, and the waterline was three feet above the entrance's top. It was dark and murky down there, but he was able to tell that the tunnel sloped slightly upwards.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:49 pm
by DrPeterson
Leonek frowned as he saw the darkness.

I don't suppose you brought a torch, did you? Maybe there's one around here, though...

He starts rummaging through the boat, looking for storage spaces and ultimately a torch.

OOC: Do you need me to roll Luck, Mr Handy, or do I withhold my dicechuckery?

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:39 am
by DetectiveSocks
"I should have a lighter in my bag here, not sure if that'll help" Salem rummages through his satchel and presents the lighter to Leonek.

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy
The small boat did not have an electric torch or anything of the sort. It was a rental, and Horsham must have presumed that whoever rented it would bring their own stuff. It had only come with the paddles. The lighter would not work underwater, for obvious reasons, but it would be useful once he surfaced. The flip top would keep the inside dry while it was submerged. The diving suits at Horsham's did have small waterproof electric torches designed to work underwater attached to them, built into the helmets. They could afford the deposit on one of them right now. If they returned the boat and got the deposit back for it, they could afford a second one, but only barely.
OOC,No need for a Luck roll. The boat doesn't have it.

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:37 pm
by DrPeterson
Leonek looked again at the darkness of the cave and pouted his lips as he was thinking.

"Do you want to go back and get some equipment, or do you feel like testing how long you can hold your breath?"

He looks up at the sky and then back at Salem.

"I'm afraid we'll miss daylight if we go back, and if our fisherman friend is in league with whoever did something to Dr. Kirby, we may only have now to react before anyone's alerted to our intentions."

He leaned low and tested the water with his hand.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
The water was slightly cool to the touch, about 65 degrees Fahrenheit, which was some five to ten degrees colder than the air.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:55 am
by DetectiveSocks
"I'll have to stay here with the boat, as we don't want the boat to drift away as we're gone." Salem examines the rope and measures the length of it, " I can even tie this rope around your waist, and pull you out of the water."

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 am
by DrPeterson
Leonek frowns, he'd been hoping to not go into the cave by his own, but starts undressing down to his pants. He wraps his gun in his pants and puts it safely under a bench.

"I will pull the rope three times if there's something wrong, Doctor."

He lowers himself into the water, clutching the lighter in one hand, he moves the knot around to his back, so it doesn't get in the way and makes his way to the cliff face.

He then takes a few breaths, expanding his lungs as best as he can, before trying a few dives towards the cave. If it works, he tries entering.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Leonek takes a deep breath before plunging underwater and into the cave, where a long, gently sloping tunnel leads into darkness.
OOC,[b]Leonek[/b], please roll Swim at double your skill.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:22 am
by DrPeterson
Leonek agilely shoots through the water, using his hands to guide him where the water gets murkier.
Success 07%!,[url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4234649/[/url]

OOC: If he breaks the surface on the other side, he'll light the lighter to make some light. I really tried to add another light to that sentence...

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
Leonek Novak,[b]Leonek[/b] propelled himself up the tunnel with the grace and ease of a fish. He soon surfaced in a cavern where very little sunlight penetrated from behind him, but once he ignited his lighter he was able to take a good look around. The tunnel opened up into a large, round chamber. Once he emerged from it, the water was only about two feet deep. It surrounded a raised dais of dry land in the middle, as if it were a moat. On the platform stood a rectangular altar made of obsidian with horns on its four corners. Three additional tunnels led out of this room. The one in the left wall and the one in the right wall both sloped downwards, where the water got deeper. There was another tunnel opposite the one through which he had entered. This one slanted upwards, rising out of the water. He had just about reached the end of his tether, and the rope wouldn't stretch beyond this chamber. [spoiler][b]Leonek[/b], please roll Spot Hidden and Geology.[/spoiler]

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 am
by DrPeterson
In the cave,[b]Leonek [/b]wasn't much of a geologist on a bright day, and in a dimly lit cave, he could barely make out his feet from his hands, let alone notice anything worthwhile about the lay of the land. [color=#FF0000]OOC:Both rolls failed [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4240398/[/url][/color] He looked around and, cursing the shortness of the rope and against better judgement, undid the rope. [b]Leonek [/b]trailed his fingers over the altar as he passed by it, feeling a shiver pass down his spine as he does so. He looks back towards where he came from once more and starts the ascending the slope. [color=#FF0000]OOC: Am I correct in assuming the altar is about the size of the depression we found at the beach?[/color]

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Leonek[/b] is moving to the thread linked below.
Alone in the Dark
OOC,[b]Salem[/b] is moving to the thread linked below.
Afloat in a Boat