The Blackstone Hotel, Keswick (All Except Jonesy)

Moderator: Abdul Alhazred

Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: The Blackstone Hotel, Keswick (All Except Jonesy)

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The waitress returns to the table with everyone's order, and asks Pedro if he requires anything.

A middle-aged man dressed in the garb of a travelling salesman - cheap but reasonably well tailored suit, black Oxfords, clean shirt and tie, etc - enters the dining room, nods a 'good morning' to the characters, and seats himself at the table nearest the window. He politely indicates to the waitress that he needs her attention when she's finished.
Fabio Silva
Layman
Layman

Post by Fabio Silva »

— Just coffee. Pedro says to the waitress looking at Rosa.

— Well, I wanted to walk around the city. But I confess that the shock of all in relation to a photography caught my interest. Is there anything I can do to help? Of course I like to help my dear friend Exeter to be able to sleep undisturbed.

He laughs and then inclines the body to whispers to Rosa:

— Actually I am a lover of mysteries and travel the world in search of it. I hope this becomes something interesting!

He leans back into his chair and smiled mysteriously.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Not quite sure if Pedro hasn't just made a pass at her, Rosa flushes and coughs to clear her throat. "Well, I think we plan to visit the photographer's first, to see if the recognise the mark. After that, possibly the library - they may have some old copies of the local trades directory or even some information about the couple in the photograph."

She looked around the table at her fellow guests. "Is there anything I've missed?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"I'd say you haven't!", Exeter smiles a wide toothpaste smile at Rosa, "It's always inspiring to see such...dedication! Inspiring, indeed!"

He leans back in his chair as he sips his coffee and then declares to the room.

"Pedro and I were going to catch a train and head up North, but the old boy has a sweet tooth for mystery and I like to indulge him. Isn't that right, you old cock? So I guess you ladies will have the pleasure and we the honour of our assisting you!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Oh good..." replies Rosa, smiling weakly and glancing at Helen, wondering how she will take the news.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

At the declaration from Lord Snooty, Helen almost chokes on a mouthfull of coffee, she smile weakly and waves a hand in an apologetic manner, "That's nice we can all go together like a jolly school outing"
Sarcasm is obviously lost on this brave son of the empire, and lost in translation to his friend. But it is a talent that Helen cannot resist employing. Julie had warned her in the past that it might cost her friends, but such friends she could do without.

There was something strange with the photograph and she was determined to find out what. Rosa, was educated and might prove usefull in the search. Whereas Exeter and his chum, Silva, might be a drag, but she had a feeling they would follow them anyway.
"I'm sure that having your assistance will prove invaluable old chap"

She thinks for a moment, "What about the doctor chap, he seemed to think he was in the photo too, has anyone seen him this morning?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Perhaps he has overlaid? " says Rosa.

Sitting watching Viscount Exeter, she can't but help think his overbearing manner may do more harm than good when they visit the photographer. "Given our number, Lord Exeter, perhaps it would be better if just two us went to see the photographer? The others could visit the library - look through some old business directories or even some old newspapers to see if they can't find out a bit more about the family before we see Mr and Mrs Barton at lunchtime. What do you say? "
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"Capital idea, darling!"

Exeter puts down his coffee cup with enthusiasm, surprisingly not spilling any of the content.

"I'm not much for those smelly photographer's places anyway, Pepe and I here will take a gander at the library and see what we can wink out of it and we'll meet you girls back here for lunch time. Perhaps your doctor friend will have gotten up by then."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Helen lets out a sigh of relief, then in order to cover the show of feelings, sips the last of her coffee, then makes a face,
"Yuk cold"
She waves at the waitress, "More coffee as soon as you are able darling"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Rosa is similarly relieved. For a moment she thought that Exeter was about to pair himself off with her while forcing his companion upon poor Helen.

She glances at the clock. "Would one of you gentlemen care to call on Dr. Laws to see if he is well?"
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Waking up, all too soon to be fully recovered from last night, Laws decides to sleep in. The horrific dream, no - nightmare, has proven more disturbing than he wants to admit to himself. No plans for the day. Just another day away from work. Nu rush.
Doing as he has on may an occasion, Dr Laws lets the curtains remain drawn until the maid knocks to turn the bed. That is the plan.

The attempted sleep is interrupted by a knock on the door.

Groggily Laws wraps the linen around his waist and staggers to the door. Opens, shielding his face to the unwanted illumination from the corridor. "Yes?"
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The young chambermaid is slightly flustered.

"Sorry Sir, I don't mean to disturb you. I thought all the guests were having breakfast. I'll come back later to do your room. Sorry again."

With that she scurries off down the hallway to change another room.
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The waitress moves away to replenish the coffees, and as she does so the salesman is successful in getting her attention. She seems to quickly take an order from him, then moves to switch on the wireless on the dresser next to his table before returning to the kitchen.

Seeing the characters look at him, he calls across a good morning. "Hope you don't mind the good old Beeb. Always like to get an early morning update on the world's events!" Unfortunately, all you can hear coming from the set is more of the static you first noticed in the bar last night although the salesman seems unperturbed.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Oh, not a problem," replies Rosa who is rather partial to the BBC herself. "The wireless could do with re-tuning though. The reception is rather poor."
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The salesman gives Rosa a slightly quizzical look, then turns his attention to the coffee that's been brought to him by the waitress.

More guests start to come down for breakfast, and a younger girl appears to assist the by now slightly flustered and harassed waitress, but of Dr Laws there is still no sign.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Laws mutters as the maid leaves.
Laws thinking:   No point in postponing the inevitable...  
He gets dressed,splashes some water in his face from a dresser bowl and pulls the curtains.
Laws thinking:   At least the weather is consistent.  
Laws walks down the stairs, yet another time. At the breakfast tables he helps himself to some boiled eggs and a cup of tea. Seeing the patrons of last night minding their business he finds a seat and nods to the left and right with a surly expression.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Rosa looks at the salesman, then at the radio and back, puzzled by his apparent lack of concern about the tuning. "Is it just me," she says, turning to the others, "Or is their nothing but static coming from the wireless?"

She catches sight of Dr Laws and waves to him, although he doesn't look in a particularly good mood this morning.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

His morning brightens up when Rosa waves at Laws. He takes the gesture as an invite and finds a seat near her. "What´s going on here then?" The tone is not on par with his surly manner - it´s neutral, positively lacking the good-morning-mannerisms expected from everyone and all on vacation.

"Pardon my lack of manners, miss. Not a wink since last night. Must be the rain..."
TVblog

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"You're not alone in lack of sleep," says Rosa, "I had a restless night too."

She takes a sip of her tea and continues. "We were discussing what to do about the photograph. The gentlemen are to visit the local library while Helen and I are to visit the local photographer. You're welcome to join either of us if you wish? Many hands and all that!".

Rosa glances at the radio irritably and looks around for the waitress.
Fabio Silva
Layman
Layman

Post by Fabio Silva »

Pedro looks at the radio annoyed by the noise. He tries to focus on the conversation that happens on the table.

— Mysteries and dark secrets of the past do not seem to be the best sleep aid. I understand the grief of all. Well, for me the night was quiet. Be easy to manage a search in a old library.

Return to “The Game”