The Blackstone Hotel, Keswick, England.

Moderator: Abdul Alhazred

Fabio Silva
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: The Blackstone Hotel, Keswick, England.

Post by Fabio Silva »

Pedro pulls a chair and sits next Bob. He seems intrigued by what Exeter has just spoken, and now understands the distress, despite not having seen the photo.

He leans his elbows on his knees and holds his chin ecstatically of pleasure to hear a good story of mysteries and secrets.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Laws leans away from the photograph and draws on his cigar. "How can everyone here think they are in the picture? Some sort of trickery? Illusionist´s gadgetery? But no one is profiting...." He watches the girls fight over the photograph and smiles at the barkeeper´s dismay. Listening to the old man´s story, Laws downs the last half of his pint. Only to lean on the bar and sip gently at the Champagne. "Might be here, the story of missing children and haunted houses come in. That and an increase in cost for our stay here at Blackstone."

"Barkeep! Could I bother you for a Guinness more, por favor?"

He lift his glass of bubbly at the man called Pedro.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Fabio Silva
Layman
Layman

Post by Fabio Silva »

Pedro grins and picking up his glass he tells looking Laws :

"Cheers! Or as they would say in Portuguese 'Saúde!'.

I miss Portugal and my hometown, but a man who is curious about the mysteries of the world needs to travel a lot. I hope this distressing time for my friend can pass quickly, my mind is buzzing to travel! Unless, of course, this town has so many secrets that a man seeking knowledge can enjoy yourself for a while."

He looks at Bob from the corner of his eye whilst trying to hear more of the story.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

A cold shiver of anticipation runs down Rosa's spine as she waits for Bob Barton's reply. 'What happened to the children?' She wants to shout, to shake it out of him but she can only wait until he speaks again.
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Bob seems to come out of his reverie as Exeter demands an explanation, and as Rosa asks about the fate of the children in the photograph he grins his broad toothless smile.

"Don't know nothing much more than what I've told, but happen I could ask the wife when I get home. Since you both seem so keen, if you'll be kind enough to provide me with a little nightcap to make sure I gets home warm, I'll ask her indoors soon as I gets back if she knows anything more. I'll be back here again tomorrow evening with any news."

With that, he fends off all other questions as he awaits his 'nightcap'.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Barman, a nightcap for Mr. Barton if you please" says Rosa, turning to the bar and opening her purse.

She tries a winning smile. "And how much will you take for the picture frame? Will a couple of shilling be enough to cover the cost or would you prefer me to get it mended for you?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"Tomorrow evening?!", exclaims Exeter, "By Jove, man, if I don't know more as soon as possible I shall positively explode! You shall have lunch with us on the morrow, both you and your wife, sir, and I shall broke no buts or refusals!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Tomorrow...evening? Helen snorts derisively, First thing tomorrow morning she intended to find the nearest library, if there was such a thing in this wilderness and see if she can track down the photographers who took this picture.
She studies the photo, front and back, looking for a date or something else.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Bob looks at Exeter and his eyes light up. "Well young sir, that's very generous of you. I'm sure me and Mrs Barton would be pleased to come here for something tomorrow lunchtime. I hear they do a lovely mutton roast. Twelve o'clock suit you? Me and Mrs Barton do enjoy an afternoon nap these days."

Hearing Helen, Bob bristles, replying testily "I think you'll find we have a very fine library here young lady. P'raps not up to those fancy pants places you has down south, but more than ample for our needs, and yours too I'm sure."

With that, he puts on his coat and cap, and leaves the Hotel.

Meanwhile, Helen continues to examine the photo. She finds nothing more of interest, but looking at the subjects she realises one of the younger children, 'Thomas', remains unidentified - assuming of course that the others really are the four adults who remain gathered around the table.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

In response to Bob's acerbic comment, Helen shrugs and murmurs "Pshaw!".
With the old man having left and being unable to find any mark on the photograph other than that of the photographer she turns her attention to the subjects, the Waring's.
"There are five children in the picture" she counts those around the table, "So assuming that we four are here, where then is the fifth?"
Looking up from the photograph she lets her eyes wander over the hotels clientile.
- Anais Nin
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Returning from the bar, Rosa says, "May I see the photograph please, Helen? There may be something else in it that gives us a clue about what's going on."
bzr101
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by bzr101 »

(bzr101 playing as Jonesy)

Jonesy lifts his head, finishes the wonderful stew and pushes the bowl to the side. He moves what remains of his pint in front of him.
"Awww.", he thinks, "What a fine stew, couln'ta cooked any better meself. And the 'igh class entertainment on top of it! Wonder who there going to dig up next from that picture?"
Jonesy takes a final swig of bitters and considers where he will need to spend the night. He saw a "underused" barn at the edge to town. That might make a dry place to bed down.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Helen shrugs,
[b]Helen[/b] thinking:   why not let her look,as if she will see anything I haven't  
However before handing it over Helen has a good long look at the photographers mark so as to fix it in her memory.
- Anais Nin
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"I say, this is one of those hoaxs. A Houdini or Tesla illusion even Francis Carter come to mind. How else could we all see a resemblance in the photograph? Might be a clever tampered photograph to have common features and common names?"
Laws thinking:   Did I just now say that?  
Laws puts the glass of Champagne down and raises his eyebrows at the crowd.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Helen glances toward the doctor, "It's possible of course, but why would anyone go to all that bother?" She passes the photograph to Rosa, "Surely no one here is worth that much, or that important?"
She looks at the right honourable Exeter,
[b]Helen[/b] thinking:   of course he probably thinks he is  
and blows a long stream of turkish perfumed cigarettes smoke towards him.
- Anais Nin
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Rosa, taking the photograph back from Helen, has another look in an attempt to find some other clue to the identity of the subjects, but sees nothing of note.

The clock in the hotel hallway chimes ten o'clock. Outside the rain is unrelenting.

At the bar, Nigel suggests that Rosa gets the photo repaired.
OCC,Aside from the mystery of who the missing child is, the scene is probably played out as far as the plot goes. I'll leave it to you to decide when your characters want to retire.
For Jonesy Only,Watching the others with a mixture of slight distaste and amusement, you catch a glimpse of the photograph. Like Rosa, you catch your breath. There is something about it that you find very unsettling...
bzr101
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by bzr101 »

bzr101 playing as Jonesy

Jonesy rises from his chair, picks up his empty bitters glass and walks to the bar.
He faces towards Pedro and asks, "Thank you again Sir, do ye think ye might go for another pint on this cold and wet night?"
Jonesy then catches a glimpse of the photograph that Rosa has in her hand. Then he stares at it, as if he cannot understand what he is seeing.
For "Abdul Alhazred" Only,So, is it [b]Jonesy[/b] that is also in the photograph? If so, how is this going to affect him as his mother is a stability source?
Fabio Silva
Layman
Layman

Post by Fabio Silva »

Pedro smiles and say to Jonesy:

No need to thank and I see no problem with it my good man. Take your time. But before I left town, I'd like a simpes interview. Let's say I'm a "collector of lives." This would be your payment to me! — He grins, then continues:

I collect interesting lives in small books on a part of my personal library to my pride and to help God on judgment day! I hope your life is interesting to be present in it! — He speaks enthusiastically.

Now, getting up from his chair and pounding the hands in a one enthusiastic and solo clap, he says:

All right! If anyone needs a ride in the car because of rain, you can talk to me. I will gladly help, in view of rain prevents me from traveling below.

He looks at Helen and Rosa and says:

By the way, Visconde Pedro de Finado at your disposal.

He said bowing.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Rosa holds the photograph for Jonesy to take a look. With her other hand, she scrabbled around in her handbag, trying to find the magnifying glass she sometimes carried.
OOC,Nope... [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4261347/]Rosa goes for the double. Is there a magnifying glass in there? (1d6=2)[/url]
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Exeter mistakes Helen's derision for something different altogether and gives her toothpaste smile, raising a lascivious eyebrow at her. He suddenly wrinkles his nose as Jonesy appears on the scene and lights another cigarette against the perceived waft of cabbage.
Exeter thinking:   I say, what an engrossingly vile man!  
He raises his voice and speaks slowly, as if talking to an infant as he addresses the man.

"Good-eve-ning-are-you"

He gesticulates as he speaks, pointing at Jonesy when he says "you".

"Are-you-the-hotel's-dogsbody?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."

Return to “The Game”