The Blackstone Hotel, Keswick, England.

Moderator: Abdul Alhazred

bzr101
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: The Blackstone Hotel, Keswick, England.

Post by bzr101 »

bzr101 playing as Jonesy
Fabio Silva wrote:Pedro smiles and say to Jonesy:
No need to thank and I see no problem with it my good man. Take your time. But before I left town, I'd like a simple interview. Let's say I'm a "collector of lives." This would be your payment to me! — He grins, then continues:
I collect interesting lives in small books on a part of my personal library to my pride and to help God on judgment day! I hope your life is interesting to be present in it! — He speaks enthusiastically. ...
Jonesy is facing towards Pedro and states, "A true gentleman you are Sir, a true gent. I'd be 'appy to supply ye with me small story, at your convenience."
DrPeterson wrote:... He raises his voice and speaks slowly, as if talking to an infant as he addresses the man.
"Good-eve-ning-are-you"
He gesticulates as he speaks, pointing at Jonesy when he says "you".
"Are-you-the-hotel's-dogsbody?"
Jonesy turns slowly to Exeter and replies, "No yer lordship, I'm a tramp. From the cut o'yer dress and yer sorry tone, ye must be one of the 'oristicratic 'orses asses that I sometimes meet." Jonesy smiles.
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Rosa looks in vain for the magnifying glass, then curses herself when she remembers she left it on the desk in her shop in Stroud.
For Rosa Only,Sorry that was a fail.
For Jonesy Only,Looking at the photograph, you're disturbed to see that the child captioned as 'Thomas' bears a remarkable resemblance to you when you were younger, although you've never actually seen photos of yourself at such a young age.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Exeter strains his ears, but he obviously hasn't got the faintest idea what Jonesy just said.

"Yes, good man, good man!"

About to pat the man on the shoulder, Exeter suddenly realises he's not wearing gloves and stops mid-motion.

"Yes..."

He turns around to grab his glass and finishes his drink.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Rosa, who had caught the drift of Jonesy's retort if not its entire content, laughs despite herself.

"Mr Jones," she says, "Would you mind taking a look at the photograph and see if you recognise anyone there?" She holds out the photograph in front of the tramp.
Fabio Silva
Layman
Layman

Post by Fabio Silva »

Looking to Rosa, Pedro says:

Can I see the photograph? I might know someone from my travels and contacts.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Helen, bursts into laughter at Jonesy's likening the honourable twit to a horses ass. and has to turn away to avoid eye contact with the mystified Exeter, who obviously has no idea of what the tramp just said.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Rosa turns the photograph so both Pedro and Jonesy can see the image.

"I say," she remarks as she looks at the photograph, "In what year were you all born?"
bzr101
Initiate
Initiate

Post by bzr101 »

bzr101 playing as Jonesy
Philulhu wrote:...
"Mr Jones," she says, "Would you mind taking a look at the photograph and see if you recognise anyone there?" She holds out the photograph in front of the tramp.
Jonesy responds, "No Mr. ma'm. Just plain old Jonesy." He now takes a very close look at the photograph and begins to scratch at his head.
He utters, "It simply canno be! I only see one boy in the picture I might know. Now, I've never seen a picture of meself at such a young age, but that boy with the name Thomas looks like the spittin image o' old Jonesy meself.
I know me mum and from where I hail, that's not her and this is nowhere near where I grew up. Ye fine folks would not be making fun of old Jonesy now, would ye?"

]
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"I really don't know," replies Rosa laying a consoling hand on Jonesy's arm. "Suffice to say, it seems highly improbable that we should all appear in the photograph, not least because I don't think any of us have met before and Lord Exeter here is only in town by accident."

She shivers visibly but continues, "improbable though it sounds, I can't discount the possibility that this photograph is genuine. One test of that is whether our ages match those of the children in the photograph, so I'll ask again if you can tell me in which year you were born?"

Rose looks at each of them intently, awaiting their reply.
Last edited by Philulhu on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"Why, I'm thirty two!" Exeter chimes in as he lights another cigarette.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

'Only thirty-two?!' thinks Rosa as she studies Exeter's trembling hands, bloodshot eyes, receding hairline and blotched skin. 'Gosh, you've had a hard life!' She tries to keep the shock from her face, her grin rictus-like in its appearance.
OOC,[i]Sorry, couldn't resist it! ;) What's the current date?[/i]
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Helen, a thin stream of cigarette smoke drifting from her pursed lips. considers momentarilly. "So how old are you Rosa darling, no do let me guess - 38"
She took another glance at the collection of children in the photograph.
[i]Helen thinking:   No chance her Mother was back in London where she had always been. The tramp was right it was all some kind of horrible joke,she could hardly imagine anyone wanting to be related to, what was it the tramp had called him? Oh yes the horses ass.[/i]  
- Anais Nin
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Oh no, I'm only 35," replies Rosa breezily, annoyed but determined not to show it. "That would make us about the same age, wouldn't it?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Helen, continues to smile, but her lips are a little tighter now, "33 actually darling. Its probably this light, you know less flattering to some. I do apologise sweetie I could have sworn you were in your late thirties, hard life probably"
Helen's smile increases, now with a hint of sympathy.
OOC,No idea of the current year, although ToC tends to be set more in the 1930s that CoC.
- Anais Nin
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Michael Laws strolls away from the bar counter and lets a comment slip as he´s bound to tell the hotel clerk of the leaking faucet in his room. "This 35-year old is going to bed - then they were only five. Night-t-y.all!"
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Although the photograph doesn't list the ages of the children, nor the date it was taken, it does seem feasible that your ages correspond to the relative ages differences of the children.
OCC,The current year is 1935. Oh, and don't take the photo I've used too literally, it was very difficult to find one that was spot on!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

"Well" says Helen emptying the final drops of her glass and firmly stubbing out her cigarette before removing the butt from her holder, "That might be a good idea. Things might seem brighter in the morning, I'm off to my room to curl up with a good book."
She waits for objections, for invitations to stay longer. But it seems none are forthcoming.
"Chin chin, mind the bugs don't bite" allthough looking around at the shabby state of the Blackstone, that might not be easy to avoid.
- Anais Nin
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"You're probably right," replies Rosa, "Things will seem different in the morning."

She slips the photograph into her handbag for safe keeping, takes a final sip of her ginger beer and heads upstairs to bed.
Abdul Alhazred
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

OOC,I'll assume you all retire for the evening, although [b]Jonesy[/b] it looks like you're sleeping rough and you may want to insert a post that indicates where you'll be tomorrow morning. Alternatively someone might pay for you to stay at the hotel but they'll need to explain why they're being so generous. The events of the evening [i][b]will[/b][/i] have had a psychological effect on your character, despite their perhaps putting a brave face on it. Some are affected more than others depending on whether the impact of what they've seen will shake their sources of Stability or pillars of Sanity. [b]Helen[/b] and [b]Jonesy[/b] will therefore each need to take a Stability Test, [b]Exeter[/b] will need to take two. Don't forget, you need to roll one die for each test you take, the higher the better. If you pass, your stability is unchanged, but if you fail, you'll lose (at this stage, an unknown amount of) stability. As with other tests, you can spend your current Stability points to help you pass the test, but of course not knowing how much you'll lose if you fail makes this risky as the amount spent is lost until the end of the scenario. Therefore don't spend six points in an attempt that may only lose you one or two points anyway... Oh, and if you spend points [b][i]and [/i][/b]still fail, you'll lose both the points you spent [i][b]and[/b][/i] the original penalty loss. PM me if you're confused, but essentially, you don't want to roll a low number!
bzr101
Initiate
Initiate

Post by bzr101 »

(bzr101 playing as Jonesy)

Jonesy can see the 'party' is breaking up for the night. He finished his pint, collects his 'gear' and says goodnight the barkeeper.
He goes into the kitchen and thanks the chef for the meal, "Thanks so much for the fine supper! Well, out into the cold and wet night,
I saw a 'underused' barn at the north edge of town, looked like a dry place to bed down. Night."

"[b]Jonesy[/b] thinking:   And, methinks I'll try to get back 'ere at noon tomorrow. Maybe I can get another meal for meself, and maybe, just maybe, I can get a line on the arse who is playin a game with the damned picture."  

For ="Abdul Alhazred" Only,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4263824/]Stability check + 3. For 'shaking' his belief that his mother is not his mother. (1d6+3=8)[/url]

Return to “The Game”