Act VII 'The Nutty Professor'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Act VII 'The Nutty Professor'

Post by Priest »

The tousle haired chap looks at his clipboard, turning several of the handwritten worksheets, "Let me see, Nightingale...Primrose Hill...Earlier today" Having looked through all the sheets, he shakes his head, "Nah, not us sorry. Now if you'll excuse me we 'ave a keg of beer that needs delivering to the Travellers Rest over Stepney"
Turning his back in a dismissive gesture he continues supervising the delicate operation occuring on the cart, "And just make sure it secure we dont want another incident do we?"
OOC:   Rolls may be made, or you could simply let Roxborough loose on him, he seems to have a natural talent for intimidation :D  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

OOC:  
Tabs wrote:"I only drink tea at this time of day, Miss Bly" says Klevendon humorlessly. Nevertheless, he investigates the barrel, "Could it hold the time machine?" he wonders.
What did Klevendon see?  
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Roxborough using the tone of voice that comes naturally to the gentry and those that give commands

Master Robertson! Boy! How dare you!

How dare you turn your back on a lady!

Come here and apologise to the lady this instance!

Or do I need to do the job that your father has so obviously failed at and teach you some bloody manners!
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Apologies Tabs, missed that bit  
Despite Nellie's poor attempt at humour, Klevendon, takes a closer look at the barrel which is being manhandled onto the cart.
Stamped Masterson's Brewery the sloshing sound of liquid helps to confirm its contents. As to it being sufficient in size to hold the device? From Nightingales description you doubt it.

At Roxborough's fierce reprimand, the clipboard wileding chap turns white and throws a quick glance towards the office. Although he says nothing the look on his face is an obvious plea for assisstance to his father.
Within seconds a short, well built individual,sporting a cheque cap and showing a similarity of features with the young Robertson that can only be familial, appears in the yard outside of the building marked office.
"If there is a problem, may I suggest you bring it to me, rather than annoy my workforce"
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

The acorn didn't fall far from the tree did it?

Hardly surprising that the boy is uncouth and ill-mannered when that is the kind of example set by the father.

Roxborough glares as Robertson senior before turning his attention back to junior

The lady is still awaiting your apology boy, show yourself to be a better man. and then in a much softer voice, almost to himself and you may even impart a lesson to your ignoramus father.

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon nonchalantly returns to his companions. He does not say anything, just clears his throat, "Ahem."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

Nellie places a restraining hand on Roxborough's arm. "Now Peter, I am sure these gentlemen are justly worried about their reputation for being discreet and are just being careful..." she eyes the younger Robertson with a cool stare. "However, I really must insist that our enquiries are answered ..." Nellie pats the brawny big-game hunters well muscled arm for emphasis.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

For a moment the elder of the Robertson's looks about to object. He glances quickly at his barrel shifting workers and his clip board holding son as if for back up. However it is plainly obvious that he can expect no aid in a fisticuffs with you.
At that moment Nellie calms things down a tad, but with her gesture to her large compannions musular arms leaves the threat hanging in the air.

In an effort to recover his position the father turns to the son, "Well, check the worksheets and answer the question"

"I did, but there is nthing here" the lad waves the clipboard.

"Give it here, let me have a look" Robertson snatches the clipboard and rifles through the sheets.

"Hmm, it seems we did shift a load from Primrose Hill today. But..." he looks at Nellie pointedly, "You never heard this from me, after all client confidentiality and all. The crate was delivered to a steam barge on the Thames, company by the name of Grey and Drake. And before you ask I have no idea of its destination after that or who hired us to move it. The instructions were" and he reads from the worksheet, "Pick up a crate at the home of Nightingale, Primrose Hill, and deliver to Grey and Drake. Besides the fee for the job we were paid another fiver to forget it."
He returns the clipboard to his son,
"Now if you fine people will forgive us we have this barrel of beer to deliver"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

" 'Steam barge on the Thames, Grey and Drake'--excellent work you fellows," says Klevendon.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

The Thames is a rather long river you know. Be a little more specific as to where we might find Grey and Drake and which side of the river the barge was docked and we'll leave you to deliver that beer.

There's a good man

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Robertson removes his cap and scratches his head, "Battersea".
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Good man! Good man! booms Roxborough he turns to the others Let's get to Battersea sharp! Don't want the trail to get cold!

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Locating Grey and Drake's steam barge on the river at Battersea is simplicity itself. Old but serviceable the barge is currently moored, however the steam engines are obviously being stoked.
The deck is empty. of both people and cargo, but the door to what you think must be the boiler room is open and from inside you can hear the sounds of coal being shoveled and the occasional curse.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

Nellie concentrates on not stepping into the many pools of dirty water that litter the quayside, tutting as the occasional splash threatens to muddy her boots. Coming to where the steam barge is moored, Nellie stops, looking about cautiously.

"I wonder if the crate is still on board, It would have been delivered some time ago..." Nellie says hopefully, scanning the decks of the barge for the a crate looking large enough to be the time portal.
Perception Roll (8): Looking to spot the Time Portal,[dice]0[/dice]
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

There is no indication of the crate being on the barge. The deck is empty.
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Damn and blast it! mutters Roxborough under his breath before glancing quickly to see if Nellie has overheard his cursing

Sorry Nellie, that was most inappropriate - just a little frustrated that the trail is going cold. Seems we've been dealing obdurate and obstinate fellows that have obstructed our speedy progress

He steps to the edge of the quay and hollers down to the engine room Hallo! You there in the engine room!

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

From below in the boiler room a voice calls back, “Sorry sir, I can’t leave the boiler until she’s up to steam, but you’re welcome to come aboard if its business you’re offering.”

Accepting his offer you climb aboard the steam barge. Everything looks neat and tidy, 'shipshape' as they say. As you move to the hatchway that leads below you note that there is no sign of cargo aboard.

A small flight of stairs lead below to the boiler room inside you see a man wearing a much worn peaked cap shirt sleeves rolled high to show muscular forearms covered in tatoos. At your approach he turns and with a spotted handkerchief wipes his brow,
"Hot work. How can I help?"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"You're empty? Able to transport goods for us?" inquires Klevendon.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

Nellie daintily walks along the small 'gang-plank' careful not to have her skirts become entangled with anything. She looks about the vessel, to confirm that there isn't anywhere that the Time Portal could be secreted. As she gazes towards the stern she frowns, Wellington appears to be examining something on the deck.

Before Nellie can speak Klevendon pipes up and asks the 'captain' his question.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Horatio Wellington

The detective steps onto the steam-barge, following the others.

His keen eye spots something on the deck and he moves closer.
"Wellington thinking:   Interesting,this coil of rope is of a grade not usually seen on the Thames.."  
he bends down and runs his fingers on the rough twisted strands of the thick rope.
"Wellington thinking:   Yes indeed,unmistakable.. the twists and thickness or cordage... this rope was purchased in Cornwall and from the [i]Trivenden Rope Mill[/i] how unusual to find it here."  
"I say... do you have links with the Bartholemew Steam Line at all??"
OOC:   All made up ... just to add colour... poor old Welly is feeling a tad left out :)  

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”