Act VII 'The Nutty Professor'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Act VII 'The Nutty Professor'

Post by Priest »

Nightingale looks at the exasperated Klevendon, sighs, then begins to talk in the manner that a tired schoolmaster might use when explaining something simple to a small child,
“Oh dear, as i previously said, I believe, the identity of my patron is unknown to me. He was willing to fund my research and that was good enough for me. He seemed to wish to remain anonymous, nothing more than an unknown benefator. History, as I'm sure you are aware if filled with such men." he coughs behind his hand, discreetly.

"The trouble is, as again I am sure you are aware, to facilitate a scientific breakthrough is a most expensive pursuit. I found myself unable to raise the finances necessary to construct the Portal. I tried several leagues, but was unable to convince them of the veracity of my plans...I suppose the Temporal Society might have helped, but I didn’t want to share my design, not until I had a working model. Pride cometh before a fall, yes?" again the discreet cough this time accompanied by a smile.
“Anyway, where was I? Ah yes. It was after a lecture I gave at the Royal Geographical Society... I was trying to raise funds, but they turned me down... As I prepared to leave a gentlemen approached me and offered to fund my research. He declined to give a name choosing to use the alias 'Jericho', saying that as a man of high status his involvement with me might soil his name. Rather rude, but totally understandable. He would provide me with wealth on the sole condition that I kept the existence of my work a secret.”

With that he turns his attention to his manservant, "Ah Smithers, it took you long enough to decide that something was amiss. But let's not dwell on that. 'Comings and goings' you say, just what 'comings and goings'?"

Looking somewhat shamefaced, the elderly servant points outside to the gates of the estate. "Why Sir, other than these fine fellows" he turns redder in the face, "Begging your pardon Miss. The cart from Robertson and Co that came here about an hour since. It seems they picked up a large crate. I took it that it was with your blessing as they didn't act furtive or anything".
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

"Let's recover that machine. Where is Robertson and Co.?" says Klevendon.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

"So the two that attacked the Professor must have carted the machine away.. how can we find the offices of Robertson and Co I assume they are a local company?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Both Nightingale and the red faced Smithers turn to Nellie, their dislike of Klevendon'e somewhat brusque manner obvious in their faces. Nightingale shakes his head, "Sadly I have no knowledge of any tradesmen of that name"
However Smithers, his eagerness to remove any stain of dereliction of duty obvious in his manner, "Begging your pardon Miss. I believe that there is a small haulier firm of that name trading out of a yard near Totenham Court Road. Mrs Blighe, the cook, has used them on several occasions to transport food stuff from the docks"
He turns to his employer, "That is, not to excuse myself, one of the reasons that I saw nothing untoward in the carts arrival"
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

"I see.." Nellie ponders the information that Smithers has just relayed. "We would certainly be inclined to try and recover your invention Professor but perhaps you could also aid us? A simple letter giving us your proxy to obtain information from Robertson and Co about their recent shipment. Would you be able to do that for us Professor?" Nellie asks, thinking that such a document would help to smooth the way in their enquiries with the shippers.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon takes a turn outside, breathing deeply and wondering if the time machine is for real.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Nightingale, brushing aside the ministrations of the still apologetic looking Smithers with a terse, "Stop fussing man!!" turns to the lady reporter, "I could, but I fail to see how that would assist you as I have no connection with the haulage company. If they were working on anyones orders, they were not mine"
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie BLy

"Oh I see... " Nellie looks crestfallen.

Horatio Wellington

"No... no.. Miss Bly is on the right track. The haulage firm were obviously engaged to collect your invention but as you are the owner and certainly did not consent to that course of action then an offence has been committed. Robertson and Co are unwitting accomplices to this theft; a note from you, on your headed note paper to that effect would be enough to encourage the hauliers to be co-operative." Wellington favours the Inventor with his best stony face "But of course if you would rather involve the police in this matter .." he trails off.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Roxborough clearly irritated by Nightingale storms over and places his face an inch away from the other man's nose

GOOD GOD MAN! ARE YOU A TOTAL AND UTTER BUFFOON!

ARE YOU TRULY BLESSED WITH THE INTELLIGENCE THAT YOIU CLAIM!

DO YOU WANT TO RECOVER YOUR GODDAMNED CONTRAPTION OR NOT?

He steps back and turns and points at the butler You! get this blithering idiot a pen and headed notepaper. The trail goes cold by the second, be quick about it!

With that he walks out of the building muttering under his breath.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Brilliant characterisation!  
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

OOC:   thanks :)  

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Nightingale, the superciliousness driven from him by Roxborough's tirade, opens and closes his mouth in a fair impersonation of a landed trout, "I say, steady on old chap" he gives a weak smile, although you would guess that tears aren't far away.
Smithers walks, nay runs, off in search of the necessary writing utensils, which, upon his reapearance he hands to his employer.

Nervously eyeing the huge, and somewhat angered, Roxborough, he clears his throat, "Now good miss and sirs, what would you have me write?"

Within a short time the four of you are full steam ahead for the premises of Robertson and Co just off Totenham Court Road, leaving a somewhat brow beaten professor watching you from his doorway while being smoothed by a glum looking Smithers.
OOC:   Papa G, your characterisation was so good that I felt it unecessary to ask you for dice rolls  
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

OOC:   thanks again - Roxy is fun to play  

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

In no time at all you find yourselves at the entrance to a hauliers yard. On the open gates the name 'Robertson and Co' has been painted in large letters, faded slightly by time and elements.

Within the cobblestone courtyard amidst piles of straw and hay, a few piles of crates, a collection of barrells, all things to be expected really, a large wagon also marked with the firms name is being loaded by two brawny looking workmen. As they strain, grunt and curse over a rather large barrell marked with the name of a local brewery, Mastersons, a third man dressed in an almost clean brown coverall stands close by marking something on a clipboard.
"Oi! be carefull wv that Mastersons don't pay for spillage"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon looks between his companions. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking, that that barrel demands closer inspection?"
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

"Why Mr. Klevendon are you thirsty?" she smiles. "I rather think that chap with the clip-board is the one we want.."

With that Nellie steps into that yard, waiting a few moments to be noticed, then coughing politely "I say, are you the Manager here?" she enquires of the man in the clean brown overall.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Horatio Wellington

The dour detective follows Nelie into he yard proper. As Nellie makes her initial approach he pulls the letter they managed to obtain from the obstinate Professor Nightingale.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The chap, a rather fresh faced youngster with freckles and a shock of blonde curly hair, looks up from his clipboard, "Indeed I am, Silas Robertson at your service Miss"
He turns his gaze to the dour detective approaching with a folded sheet of paper in hand, "If it's a legal matter or anything to do wiv losses, it's my father you require he deals wiv that stuff" He smiles a smile of innocense and gestures to a small building set back in the yard in which you can see a cap wearing individual eyeing you suspiciously through a small window.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I only drink tea at this time of day, Miss Bly" says Klevendon humorlessly. Nevertheless, he investigates the barrel, "Could it hold the time machine?" he wonders.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

"Of course... I wasn't suggesting otherwise." Nellie replies to Klevendon smiling.

Nellie motions to hold off Wellington no need to go brandishing their letter and making this into a 'formal' matter well, hopefully not.

"Ahh, Mr. Robertson, oh dear me no... not a legal matter .. but perhaps a delicate matter. We understand that you were engaged to collect a crate from the address of Professor Nightingale, in Primrose Hill earlier today?" she asks of the young man.

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”