Act VII 'The Nutty Professor'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Act VII 'The Nutty Professor'

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon spots the frown upon Miss Bly's pretty forehead. He walks over to her and gently takes her hand. "My mother always said," he affects an odd, high pitched voice, " 'One should never frown in case the wind changes and it sticks!' "and then adds in a whisper, "Anything of note, Miss Bly?"
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

"Nothing awry, Mr. Klevendon not yet at least. Though I do hope the master of this vessel agrees when it becomes apparent that we do not have any cargo for him or his boat to carry." she replies in a low voice.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Still wiping his brow with the handkerchief the muscled engineer, nods toward Klevendon, "I might have a space for a cargo, depends on size and distance".

Pushing the handkerchief in a trouser pocket, he steps towards you, keeping his head low so as to avoid the deck timbers. He extends a large hand, "Josiah Grey, part owner and captain of this tub" there is a hint of pride in his voice that tells you how he thinks of 'this tub'.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon replies to Nellie: "Maybe so, Miss Bly, but do I look like the type of man who hauls his own goods to the dockside?" he shoots his cuffs.

To the engineer: "Ten pallets--to Richmond. So what do you think, Mr. Grey?" he shakes Josiah's hand. "May we look her over?
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

Nellie's eyes bulge as Klevendon continues his charade suggesting that he has a consignment for shipment.
Nellie thinking:   "There's no need for any subterfuge, we have a letter from the rightful owner of the 'crate' stolen from Professor Nightingale. The hauliers may have been 'prickly' about divulging any information but that's no need to resort to lies that will cause ill will, when out true purpose is revealed."  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Horatio Wellington

The tall detective springs to his feet, stuffing his large magnifying glass back into the pocket of his coat. "I say, Mr. Grey is it?" he says as he cuts to one side of Klevendon "This is a most fine vessel indeed... now can you settle something for me?" The detective carries on his manner suddenly more animated and excited, as he speaks he flashes a gold sovereign between his fingers. "Now... I deduce that earlier today a large crate was delivered to you for shipment up the river, this crate would have been accompanied by two burly fellows, probably quite dour and thuggish..." with a flourish he holds the coin between finger and thumb.. "My question is this.... where did you offload this cargo, hmm?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Grey looks from Klevendon to the tall detective, but the glint of the gold coin has more appeal.
"Lord save us, but you are a clever one. Indeed we did, sir. Took her all the way to wharves ‘tother side of Tower Bridge we did. Huge crate, it were. Must have weighed nigh on a ton if it weighed an ounce.”

He licks his lips in anticipation of the coin, "Team o’ men was waiting at the other end to unload it. Didn’t take it far, just to a ship berthed at the docks. I’m heading back up that way in a few minutes. Cargo just up from there needs collecting. If you’re wanting to know which ship it was I’ll show you in person, for another consideration. I could do with the company, and..." he waves a hand at the boiler, "There’ll be hot tea on the boil soon enough.”

"Now sir..." he turns his gaze towards Klevendon, "What's the nature of this cargo you are talking about...It's nothing iffy I trust Grey and Drake's is a reputable firm we don't do iffy"
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Horatio Wellington

Wellington favours Grey with a smile "Capital! Take us to where you delivered the crate and I'll match that." he promises, as he hands over the sovereign.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Nothing at all 'iffy,' my good man," says Klevendon. "Now, let's have some tea and see how the 'tub' floats? To the wharves!"
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Roxborough steps aboard the vessel before turning and offering a steadying arm to Nellie

Come Nellie, it seems the trail retains some warmth he smiles, there is an obvious twinkle in his eye, a man in pursuit of his quarry.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   The tale continues here; viewtopic.php?f=286&t=5355  
- Anais Nin

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”