Act IV: 'Something Awful'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Re: Act IV: 'Something Awful'

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie stops and fixes Wellington with a withering stare. "Evidence? Why does that matter... we seem to be quite light on evidence so far, I merely meant to suggest that it might be time to 'shake the tree' as it were and see what falls."

Nellie starts to count on her fingers.... "One... something hatched from an egg, after being incubated by out 'patron' causing the death of one of his assistants and then escaping into the sewerage tunnels. The egg was sent in an package with an anonymous note harking back to a comment made about controlling the rats. She pauses Two... something else killed an mutilated a horse, wounds caused by a creature 'no known to man' ... connection, extremely unlikely to be the same creature unless it can grow from being the size of a domestic fowl to some thing approaching the power of a lion within a day or so. Three.. reports of rats, swarms of rats emerging from the sewers beneath our feet." Nellie shudders as she pictures the swarm of maddened rodents pouring from a sewer grate, scabbing on the cobbles evil beady eyes ... taking a deep breath and continuing "connection to our investigation... very suggestive of them fleeing from a threat to their natural habitat... borne out by our deductions of the larger creature, making use of the sewer tunnels." Extends another finger... "Four... reports of a missing employee of the sewerage company... Now we see a pattern, a link .. the sewers .. and we also discover that the Chairman of the sewerage company is part of the same society as our 'patron' ."

"As I said, evidence seems to be very thin on the ground, we have some egg shell, some dung, a dead man and a dead horse. Asking Carrington-Fforbes some questions might bear fruit... really I don't see what other leads we have."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, the rats swarmed because they were escaping some other horrid creature in the tunnels," agrees Klevendon. "As for chatting to Carrington-Fforbes, I don't see the harm in it, hmmm?" he looks at Wellington. "Oh!" he raises a finger, "I know of a clerk here, one Ebeneezer Stimpson, who could provide us with a map."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

A deep frown appears on the detective's brow.

"The problem is that if Carrington-Fforbes is indeed the villain of this play, we have no real evidence to bring against him, despite your inclinations. Yet. If you step up to him with your youthful zeal and accuse him of what you have just so succinctly summarised, he will laugh it off as conjecture of the wildest sort and he will then move to have all evidence removed. We shall be deprived of both our final clues and our reputation. It is therefore imperative that we first study the murder weapon and enter the sewers before laying the blame at the feet of someone of Carrington-Fforbes's character."

His face visibly clears at Klevendon's connection and exclaims:

"Excellent, old boy, excellent!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie looks a bit crestfallen at Wellington's rebuke. "Ohh... well of course we shouldn't make any overt accusations, not without anything to back them up with. I think we should attempt to ask his some 'searching' questions, after all it behoves 'concerned citizens' to draw his Lordships attention to the fact that his tunnels are being used for nefarious purposes. At the very least he should be able to offer us aid, or as you say, try to cover his tracks.... but then that will give us the proof we need. If anyone is despatched to tidy things up we ought to be able to follow them. Besides, I don't quite see how tracking the creature will lead help us identify the 'mastermind' behind this plot... "

Turning to Klevendon "Capital... we can kill two birds with one stone... obtain a map and see if Carrington-Fforbes has anything to hide."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Taking the initiative to move us forward and give the keeper a definite course of action. I'd like to think that the characters conversations are not overheard by the clerks - so the characters have their conversations before entering.  
"Come on Peter, let us try and obtain an interview with his lordship, whilst our good colleagues track down a map. How very fortunate that Mr Klevendon has an acquaintance here."
As you enter one of them looks up, smiles politely, and in a polished accent enquires, "Welcome to the Highbury Sewerage Company, how may we assist you?"
Nellie steps smartly to the counter "Good morning to you!" she says in a joyfully robust manner "I do hope you can help me..." she adds in a lower, somehow more conspiratorial tone "I am working on a series of articles for 'The Strand', I have been conducting interviews with people of merit and import. However I find myself lacking a strong candidate to open the series with and then it hit me... whom could be better than Lord Carrington-Fforbes a veritable scion of industry, one of London's very own favourite sons." Nellie pauses smiling, "I'm terribly up against the publishing deadline .... would his Lordship be available for an interview?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Fear not, conversations prior to your approach to the desk are considered to have been unheard by any employee.  
At Nellie's approach the female employee smiles.
"I'm sorry Miss? His Lordship is currently unatainable being involved with a on-site inspection. However I should add that it is not the policy of this organisation to organise interviews with one of it's leading authorities. It would be necessary to contact his Lordships private secretary to arrange such a meeting."
Her accent is heavilly clipped in a standard secretarial tone filled with officious politeness.

Again she smiles, this time with a hint of apolology, and retakes her seat at her typewriter.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie nods in response, "Of course, I shall apply to his Lordship's secretary. Thank you for your time.." she adds, moving away from the counter pulling Roxborough with her and proceeding outside, to wait for the other two.

Moving a little distance from the entrance, "Oh well, that was disappointing.. so it looks like our only avenue is to venture underground." Nellie shudders at the prospect. "This creature... it's dangerous we need to be prepared do you have weapons?" she asks Roxborough

OOC:   Taking a liberty in rail-roading Papa G's character but I think it's best to help things along. Nellie and Roxy will wait for the others to return (with the map).  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Apologies to Papa G, but on account of his disapearance;  
Roxborough smiles, a toothy grin which the enormous moustache does little to disguise.
"Indeed Nellie" he reddens slightly realising that he may have overstepped the bounds of propriety in the use of her first name. He pats the leather and canvas holdall that he has been carrying around with all the care of it containing the Crown jewels.
"Within are the parts to construct a .75 calibre hunting rifle. The effectiveness of which I and several African bearers can attest to. It has stopped a charging Rhino in full stride and I believe it could dispatch a bull Elephant with ease. Indeed I am ready willing and able to place my life on its ability"

He unclips the holdall and within you can see a huge rifle barrel, a large brass sighting mechanism, and various wooden atachments. He dips his hand inside the bag and produces several of the largest brass cartridges that you have ever seen probably almost half as large again as those used by the much vaunted Sharps .50 calibre of Buffalo hunting fame.
"Have no fear, these will take our mysterious creature down, once it has been tracked. Now if Mr Klevendon can furnish us with a map I am ready
OOC:   I have little idea about rifle calibres etc, but .75 seems okay  
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Bullet into,[ooc]0.75 that's huuuuge! That's the kind of calibre that a musket would have used. The big-game hunters (elephant) would have used big-bore guns about .577, There is a Nitro-Express Rifle chambered for the .700, below is an image of the casing and bullet for that round compared to the .45 acp (for scale.... the .45acp round casing is almost an inch in length 22.8mm - overall length is 32.4mm ). [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4d/700_NE_Bullet.JPG/320px-700_NE_Bullet.JPG[/img] I found some info on a .75 calibre.... [img]http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/FEDE_EL_SOMALI/2-82.jpg[/img] The .75 is on the left in the picture and the shell on the right is a 1.00...... both were fired by Gatling guns. [b]Roxburgh[/b] would be well suited to a .75! :lol:[/ooc]
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Your life and indeed ours as well, Lord Roxborough. However, I do not doubt your skill with this tyrannical thunderer."

Wellington's glance passes between all of them.

"I can not refrain you from approaching Lord Carrington-Fforbes, Miss Bly, but I would urge against. "
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Hmm, thanks for that Lee. Makes me think of the words to the song, "Oh what a big one, never seen one as big as that before." I'll leave aside the obvious "It's not the size that counts..." jokes  
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

The Marrow Song,[ooc][youtube]lNTVKANb7p4[/youtube] Are you suggesting that [b]Roxborough[/b] is compensating for something?[/ooc]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

At the desk: "Mr. Stimpson please. May I speak with Ebeneezer?" asks Klevendon.
OOC:   What must the rifle be like?  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Having dealt with Nellie the secretary turns to answer Klevendon's request,
"Indeed Sir, please be so kind as to wait. I will send one of the boys to apraise Mr Stimpson of your presence" She produces a brass bell from the desk and rings it. It produces a sharp, not unpleasant tone probably in the key of 'C'.

After a while Stimpson, his face red with exertion, appears. From his vest pocket he produces a silk kerchief and mops his brow. Wherever he had come from obviously entailed more than a little exertion.
"My dear Klevendon. How nice to see you. May I enquire as to the nature of this visit?"

OOC:   Oh I'm sure that no matter the size of the rifle, Roxborough, is man enough to use it :D  
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"My good man, whatever have you been doing? You look positively beetroot-like!" says Klevendon. He adds: "A map--of the sewer tunnels."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Still wiping his brow, Stimpson blinks in his irratating manner, "When called I came as fast as I was able. My room is on the floor above dont-ya-know. Now a map of the sewers"
For a moment suspicion shines bright in his eyes, "Why, may one enquire, would you be needing a map of the sewers?"

Without awaiting a reply he turns to one of the busy secretary's, "Miss Jarvis. Would you be so kind as to fetch a copy of the latest sewer map for my associate Mr Klevendon, whose name you may have seen in many periodicals"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

It is Klevendon's turn to go red, but it is with pleasure--he is really rather pleased. "Why do I want a map? Well," he thinks, "that would be indiscreet of me at this juncture . . . let me assure you, Ebeneezer, that your name will appear in said periodical!" He stops waffling, hoping that Stimpson is convinced.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Once again Stimpson's face turns red, but this time not from exercise. His chest swells visibly with pride, "Why my dear chap, how kind"

Within moments a copy of the map of the sewer is in your hands.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon returns to the others, holding out the map, trying to suppress a triumphant grin.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington smiles, an eerie sight to say the least.

"Excellent work, Klevendon old boy. Now unless Miss Bly wishes to assault Lord Carrington-Fforbes at this particular moment, I would very like to commence upon our hunt and I have little doubt that Lord Roxborough is even more eager to do so."

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”