Act IV: 'Something Awful'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Act IV: 'Something Awful'

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon leans over to Wellington and whispers: "I say, old man, you do realise that you are grimacing?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"Grimacing? Whatever do you mean, old boy? I am quite satisfied with the promptness of your acquiring the map and look forward to our hunt. We shall however have to be of the sharpest wit down there."

Wellington pulls out his pipe and fills it again.

"Shall we set off then?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Roxborough smile at the antics of the renowned detective and the antiquarian. As he slowly, and with great attention to detail, begins to fit together the various parts of his rifle, he begins to salivate over the potential gastronomic delights to come.
"I sugest then that we begin at the sewer from wher the rats first appeared and attempt to pick up the spoor of the creature somewhere between there and where it was seen by the sewerman, who's name I forget."
As he locks the stock in place with a definate 'Snap!!' he looks towards Wellington, "Unless, of course, you have a better sugestion old boy?"
OOC:   Sorry PapaG jump back in at any time. Just trying to keep things moving.  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon gulps, he is really unsure about this adventure into the sewers. "You have a revolver," he asks Wellington timidly, his back to Miss Bly in case she sees his nerves.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington grins reassuringly and pats Klevendon on the shoulder.

"And I dare say I know how to use it, Klevendon. However, I have every confidence that I shall only have to use it in the most dire of circumstances, giving Lord Roxborough's ample talent."

He speaks up as he walks over to the lardly lord.

"I'd say that the exit point is the place we're least likely to find the beast, given that the rats were trying to get away from it and that we'd be more likely to find some..spoor were we to pick up the habits of our unfortunate sewerage worker. However, in this matter I shall differ to your wisdom and experience in the field."

Wellington lights his pipe and takes a few happy puffs.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Roxborough smiles at the image of the creature, whatever it was, being taken down by a pistol, no matter its calibre. From his vest pocket he produces a rag and begins to lovingly wipe the beast of a double barrelled rifle he has constructed.

"True sir, usually I would agree that the point of exit is wrong. But in this case we know that the rats were fleeing from something, so if we can backtrack the rodents it is possible that they will lead us to a trail of the unknown creature from where we can track it to a place where that trail will pass the position from where the sewer employee observed it on their mission to locate the missing Smalls"

For a few moments his brow furrows in thought, "If however we fail to find a trail to follow from the Fleet Street sewer opening, we can go to that place where the creature was sighted at once"

Roxborough looks at Klevendon and indicates, with a nod of his head, the sewer map, "I believe that the place where the search party saw the creature and the rats exit in Fleet Street were in close proximity"
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Sorry.. catching up..  
Previously Wellington said:   "Excellent work, Klevendon old boy. Now unless Miss Bly wishes to assault Lord Carrington-Fforbes at this particular moment, I would very like to commence upon our hunt and I have little doubt that Lord Roxborough is even more eager to do so."  
"Hardly an assault on his Lordship! However, I do think that an interview with him would bear fruit" Or become saleable, there would be a couple of magazines that would pay to publish such an interview, Nellie thinks to herself. "I shall be contacting his secretary at the earliest opportunity to arrange it."

Nellie's eyes goggle as Roxborough proceeds to assemble his monstrous rifle, noticing his eyes seem to light up at the prospect of the hunt.

Nellie listens as Roxborough and Wellington discuss how best to enter the sewers and start to track their quarry.

"Might entering the sewers at Fleet Street draw attention to our endeavour? Especially if one of us is brandishing.." she waves her hand indicating the large hunting rifle. "Would we not also require additional equipment... lanterns and some waders." Nellie looks to her own attire.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I am sure a dress is unsuitable for the sewers, Miss Bly will have to slip into something less comfortable," says Klevendon, shocked at the very thought of trousers worn by a woman.
OOC:   The baddie from Dirty Harry would say to Roxborough: "My, that's a big one!"  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

For a few moments Roxborough finds himself salivating over an image of different kind of dish.
"Indeed something more suitable and more practical, may I suggest we pay a visit to the expedition outfitters, Carstairs and Carstairs on Piedmont Street. I have always found them most obliging when equipping for the hunt. I am sure we could make use of this fellows" he indicates the cab which waits at the kerb, "Local knowledge"
OOC:   And as the late Dick Emery would have said, "ooh you are awful..."  
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Yes yes, to the outfitters first then."

Wellington sucks his pipe as he boards the carriage.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie boards the carriage, gathering her thoughts ans speaking as they get under way. Looking at Wellington "Do you think it is altogether a good idea to embark on our hunt by obtaining access to the tunnels in Fleet Street, it is altogether quite too public... something of our mission would be bound to find the ears of one of the offices there, we do not wish to give The Star more material to speculate upon, surely?" Nellie asks, addressing everyone but singling out the detective with her gaze.

OOC:   To my mind it's far less risky (from a being observed aspect) to enter the sewers at the Kings Head.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Roxborough glances over to Nellie. For a brief moment his eyes darken with anger, being unused to debates about his area of expertise. But as quick as a flash his eyes twinkle with admiration for the delectable woman.
"Of course you may be right. The sewer entrance to the rear of the King's Head will serve us just as well"

He turns to Klevendon, who still holds the map,
"I am sure if we look we will see that both entrances are easily connected to one another"

And then to no one in particular, as if lost in thought,
"Besides if we access the sewer behind the public house, we may find enough time to sample the delicious cuisine once more"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon studies the map. "Yes, I believe that the tunnels are connected, Mr. Roxborough," he looks at the others a little cross-eyed. "Now, let's first of all purchase the necessary equipment."
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Good, good, that's settled then - to the outfitters and then maybe a little light lunch at the Kings Head before we head down? One really should be fully fuelled before embarking on a hunting trip!

He glances and Nellie and gives her a cheeky grin and wink.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Once again the curtains close with our intrepid investigators about to purchase the necessaries for the forthcoming hunt. As they close to dramatic music from the orchestra, the assembled theatre goers rush to the bar for a beverage before the start of the fifth act, 'Into the Sewers'.

viewtopic.php?f=286&t=5132  
- Anais Nin

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”