Act III (c) 'Fleet Street and Beyond'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Act III (c) 'Fleet Street and Beyond'

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington adds sugar to his tea, one spoonful after the other.

"Miss Bly, Lord Roxborough, would you mind sharing with us the fruits of your investigation?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Pausing to gather her thoughts and making references to her notebook Nellie starts to speak "We arrived at the Zoological Gardens and armed with our letter of introduction we were soon 'interviewing' Professor Atwood....... Nellie imparts the details of her and Roxborough's time at the Zoo and the short interview with Klebbs pausing to sip her tea every now and then. "........ and after taking our leave of Klebbs it was but a few moments before we were all reunited." Nellie sips more of her tea "Do you have anything to add Richard" she asks, taking a scone from the tiered cake platter.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   [ Re-Nellie's & Roxborough's adventures, shall I read the "Zoological" topic? and could they read my "Club" topic? ]  
Klevendon digests Nellie's words, and a scone.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Yep - just take it that all the info. has been re-told (and read the threads) - will save time and fingers!  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Indeed I took it that you had been keeping abreast of the parallel investigations  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Abreast,Sorry for the late reply, I had some catching up to do. Time travel has warned me to stay away from spoilers. ;)

Wellington keeps adding sugar to his tea, you could swear that liquid was turning viscous.

"A very clever observation, Miss Bly! I am impressed."

He nods at Roxborough as well to acknowledge the man's part in the investigation.

"This confirms my hypothesis, but alas sheds little light on any motives."

He drinks his oversugarred tea and you can almost feel your teeth shrivel away in sympathy.

"We uncovered a few interesting things did we not?"

Wellington looks at Klevendon, prompting him to give an account of their part of the investigation.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

From another, nearby, table an elderly lady dressed in expensive looking pearls and wearing an ornate pair of jewel studded prinz-nez, through which it seems she has been perusing the late edition of the Times, watches in fascination Wellington's continued introduction of sugar to his tea.

With a snort, the kind one reserves for usage with the lower types, She leans over towards your table, "If, young man, you continue to expose your system to the dubious attentions of such obnoxious poisons your chances of living much longer are greatly reduced. My late husband, the Dr, was much against the abuse of the human body by such unatural intoxicants. He used to say that we had no right to abuse such a gift of the good Lord with the works of Satan himself"

Having delivered her admonishment, looked for or not, she returns to the contemplation of her own cup of tea, unsweetened of course.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"The Doctor? Doctor Who?"

Wellington turns in his seat to look at the old bat.

"And though I thank you for your advice, madame, it is for the nourishment of my cognitive rather than my physical faculties that I take sugar in large quantities. No doubt your husband, the Late Doctor, would have informed you of the energising potential of enlarged doses of saccharaides had he had more heart for lively conversation."

He smiles and grants the old woman a friendly nod, leaving her in doubt as whether she had just been insulted or complimented.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie listens to Klevendon's recounting of his and Wellington's investigations at the 'The Cerebral Activities Society' ; making notes to serve as an aide memoir later.

Nellie barely manages to stifle a laugh at the impertinent interruption and mentally applauds Wellington's retort and nods approvingly as the renowned detective settles back into his chair sipping his syrupy tea.

"Thank you for your most competent recounting of your time at the Society Mr. Klevendon". Nellie looks to each of her fellow investigators in turn, then continues "Do you think that the 'spotlight' of suspicion is moving towards Lord Carrington - Fforbes by way of his connections to the sewerage system and what do we make of the information both groups gleaned from Klebbs, is there a link there?" She asks her companions.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Priest,[quote]Pushing his glasses onto his head like some mad airship captain,[/quote]--what were you thinking of for this simile? it reminds me of Cid from Final Fantasy VII.
DrPeterson,[img]http://www.kentonline.co.uk/images/PD678505PETER%20CUSHING%20%20%20U.1_l.jpg[/img]--nice one!
"Thank you, Miss Bly," says Klevendon. "Lord Carrington-Fforbes and his involvement with sewers, and the mysterious creature that lives in the sewers . . . surely there is a connection. Miss Bly, you said that Professor Atwood pondered if an occult circle may have ideas regarding the beast we seek. I wonder if an 'occult circle' and Lord Carrington-Fforbes' 'Sewerage Commitee' are one and the same?"

Klevendon ponders on "Klebb's information" which Nellie mentioned.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Tabs:,Much obliged! I thought Peter Cushing having a nice cup of whatever shouldn't be missed :)
Wellington puts down his tea and looks at his companions.

"We have made significant progress in solving this riddle. I have of this moment five explanations, which will wither down to one once we manage to shed some light on the remaining blanks in the puzzle."

He leans back in his seat and continues:

"We should pay a visit to the residence of Mr. Smalls, the sewerman, whose address Mr. Klebbs was so kind as to deliver. and then pay our friends at the Sewer Board a visit. I, for one, am very keen to have a look the map of the sewers."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Tabs,Afraid not, most of my inspiration comes from the Bioshock games :)
The woman, unheedfull of any sarcasm or dilligently controlled laughter, pays you no further mind. Other than yourselves and the woman in question, the Ritz tea rooms are empty of customers.

Here and there smartly dressed staff in crisp and starched uniform move aimlessly amongst the deserted tables, cleaning and straightening.

Four deep chimes come from the far end of the room where a rather grand looking clock displays the time as 4:00.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I vote for Mr. Smalls," says Klevendon.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Out of interest: It is currently four oclock, fast approaching the hour when the offices of the Highbury Sewerage Company will be closing, so it is probably sensible to leave visiting until tomorrow. The address for Smalls is number 14, Wood Street, Whitechapel (Just off Hanbury Street).  
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC:   Let's go visit Smalls if Mrs Bly and Lord Roxborough don't disagree.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie helps herself to a small sliver of fruit cake and ponders the information gleaned throughout the day.

"I suppose the only things we can follow up on are the 'Sewerage Company' and the missing employee." Nellie frowns "I'm not sure that the likes of the four of us enquiring as to the whereabouts of Mr. Smalls in a neighbourhood that we are totally unfamiliar will get us anywhere, Whitechapel is a 'tight-knit' community and they do not take kindly to strangers 'poking their noses into matters that ought not to concern them'." Nellie pauses for a moment, daintily draining her tea-cup of the last mouthful of refreshing beverage. "And I don't think we should depart en masse to the offices of the Sewerage Company either; such a course of action would most likely 'tip-off' Lord Carrington-Fforbes, if indeed he is the involved in this affair.... at the very least he would become suspicious of you both," Nellie indicates Klevendon and Wellington "Perhaps I could gain access by playing to Carrington-Fforbes' vanity. You did say he seemed put out that neither of you have recognised his name nor his 'works'. That might be enough to gain an interview."
OOC:   Welington has the 'Resource' of a follower - 'Street Urchin' - mayhap the renowned detective could engage the young scamp in having a shufti at Smalls' gaff ... and sniffing out any gossip.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Good point. If Wellington wants to try it, let me know.  
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC:   Sure thing! I'll get round to posting tonight or in the latest tomorrow morning, have a lot of classes to give this afternoon.  
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"You are quite right in the last assumption, Miss Bly. Carington-Fforbes is a vain man and I'm sure he'll be most charmed by your compliments to him. I believe he had more eye for himself in the mirror than for either of the likes of Mr. Klevendon or myself when we were visiting him."

Wellington picks up his cup and has another sip.

"Then there is the circumstance on which we seem to disagree. Though there is no conclusive evidence pointing to Mr. Carington-Fforbes, there is indeed the possibility that he is involved in the matter. As the chief organiser or as someone at least in the know. I deduced by his handshake that he is a man of action. He had a very firm grip, not unusual in men of his position, but his strength came from an active vigour and not only from the need to assert his station. I would therefore suggest on visibly investigating the Sewerage Company. If Carington-Fforbes is involved, he will take action against us, thus proving to us his complicity in either protection his own operation or that of one of his club members."

He puts the cup down and leans back in his seat, his fingers on his temples as his eye stare at vacantly for a moment and then he snaps to.

"The matter of Mr. Smalls might be looked into by some of my associates of lesser social station.I shall arrange a meeting for tonight."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Oh, do be careful, Miss Bly," says Klevendon. He turns to Wellington: "Your 'associate': Who did you have in mind?"

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”