Act III(b): 'The Cerebral Activities Society'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Act III(b): 'The Cerebral Activities Society'

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington folds the list and pockets it. He gets up out of his chair, his sharp aquiline features contrasting heavily with that of the servant.

"Then it is time we took our leave. No need to show us out, Soames, we know the way."

He turns to Klevendon and nods, inviting the man to come along and then nods his goodbye to the butler.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Mustering the full amount of respectfulness, Soames politely bows, "As you wish. Shall I have a cab hailed or shall you find your own?"
OOC:   You have an hour to kill as you had arranged to meet Nellie and Roxborough at 3pm. I have, at last, managed to put the newspapers from the Professors up. Please study them you may find something of use within.  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon stands-up from the comfy armchair. "I haven't finished my cognac yet," thinks he petulantly.

He whispers to Wellington: "My God! you certainly can deal with the lower orders."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"You may hail us a cab."

Wellington buttons up his waistcoat and makes to leave.

When Soames has left to get the cab, he turns to Klevendon.

"The arrogance of that man was simply impermissible. However, given the expediency with which we have conducted our research here, I would propose taking our cab via Fleet Street. I am eager to take a quick look at the surroundings there. A visit to the Water treatment offices may be more prudent on the morrow."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, yes, Fleet Street it is," says Klevendon as he follows Wellington. "The rat infestation: I wonder if any of Nellie's colleagues were bitten?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Within moments Soames reapears, "Your cab awaits sirs. May I take this opportunity to wish you a successful outcome to your enquiries and reassure you that whatever scurilous buisness you investigate the honorable menmbers of this establishment can not have been involved"

He bows slightly in an almost perfect mathematical degree of incline, for a moment the slight addition of a sharp heel click would transport you to the throne room of the German Kaiser himself. Of course it does not for this is London not Berlin.

A short time after you are seated in the relative comfort of a modern hanson cab. A small hatch near the velvet lined roof opens momentarilly and a sharp featured face is framed there,
"So where will if be Guvnor?"
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington disregards the butler as he gets into the cab.
Sitting down he takes the list out again, stares at the names and then passes it to Klevendon as the driver opens the hatch.

"Fleet Street first, but we'll need you for some more travel afterwards."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon sits back and peruses the list.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Through the busy streets of the vibrant capital of the British Empire, the carriage wends its way in a not uncomfortable journey. The noises and shouts of commerce are subdued slightly by the brocade and plush of the carriages interior. The gentle clip of the horses hooves and the sibilant hiss of the drivers whip, provide a most lulling effect, from which you are jolted to full awareness by the abruptness of the journeys end.

The small hatch opens once more and the voice of the cabbie disturbs the tranquility of the hansom's interior,
"Fleet street, as whot you arsked guvnor"

Fleet Street, newspaper land. Here amongst the splendour of the architectural excesses of empire, are found the headquarters of some of that empires most famous organs of truth. The Times, the Telegraph, the Express, the Evening Express, the Daily Broadside, the National Enquirer, the Record, the White Star, and the Daily Speaker.
(Fleet Street)
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Most excellent! If you'll wait here for us, good man, we shan't be a moment."

Wellington gets out of the car with some dignity and straightens his coat.

"Alright Klevendon, I suggest we see what these men and women of the written word have to peddle and perhaps take a look at the sewer from which those rats poured before heading to tea."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Stepping from the hansom to the busy street you are assailed by the noise and smells of the metropolis. Everywhere a myriad of folk some dressed in expensive clothing, others the dress of the common workman, and some wearing various scraps of ragged clothing. Yes Fleet Street shows the many facets of the cities society.

As you look around you notice that by hapanstance the cab has deposited you outside the ornate facade of a building that proclaims, by dint of a magnificent and well polished brass plaque, the offices of the Daily Speaker the very news paper whose front page had informed you of the city's rodent problem.

As luck would further have it the front door, a splendid affair of brass, oak and glazing, opens to disgorge three gentlemen, whose attire and the meerest hint of printers ink engrained around their fingernails proclaims them to be employed within the newspaper industry.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

We are in luck!

Wellington purposefully strides towards the three men and tips his head.

"
May I a moment of your time, gentlemen? I was wondering if any of you could offer some more information as to what happened with the rats? More specifically, did anyone enter the sewers after those beasts came out, or did anyone hear anything in particular?
"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Horrible vermin!" adds Klevendon. "It must be hot and thirsty work at the printing press," says he pulling a few coins from his pocket, "what about those sewers, etc. like the Gentleman asked?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At the sight of Klevenden's coins the three men quickly doff their caps and assume a proper deferential demeanour.
One of them a tall, gangly fellow with a long fair forelock dressed in a checked three piece, which from its age attested to the logevity of clothing in years past, smiles a smile of avariciousness,

"Rats?...Oh those rats, the ones what appeared from the sewers, gave some folk a nasty turn, nipped a few uvers and then vanished back from where they came"

Like members of some theatrical troupe the other two nod and smile agreement, Checked suit continues after rubbing his mouth with the back of his hand,

"As to whever anyone pursued the verminous creatures. I don't think they did uver than to make sure that the sewer entrances were sealed to stop a rehapearance"

He gestures towards a black cast iron sewer lid, a gesture reinforced by similar ones from his companions,

"That there is one of the places from which they had emerged. There was a lot of them, a veritable swarm there was, enough to force that heavy lid"
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington observes the threesome with some detachment, hearing their statement with the appropriate apprehension.

Would you gentlemen then help us out a bit more? You have already observed the depths of my companions pockets. I would like to have a look at that lid and sewer hole.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"That went well," observes Klevendon to Wellington, delighted with himself. He wanders over to the sewer lid.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The three accompany you both over to a cast iron sewer lid a few yards from the newpaper building. From the marks aound the cover you are able to see that the marks show a myriad of animal prints both coming from and returning to the sewer opening.

Further investigation shows that the lid itself had been recently opened and closed firmly.

"Twere 'ere that they was coming from. Some of the lads managed to reseal the cover after they was gone" the speaker in his patched tweed cap, indicates the sewer lid, "They wont be a coming out again in a 'urry we forced the top dahn 'ard, take more than a few rats to force that bugger, I can tell you"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Oh, well done, sir," says Klevendon, relieved that the sewer is inaccessible. "We would like to interview the Editor of the Daily Speaker, my good man, is there anything we ought to know about him?--a bit of leverage so to speak. Also, do you know who witnessed the outpouring of rats?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington lets out an indignant hmph.

"Yes, I'm sure we'd learn a lot from talking to that man, but first I would like to take a look at the other side of that lid.."

He takes a step back and assesses the men.

"I'm sure three strapping men such as yourself will have little difficulty prying it loose. "
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

One of the three, the cap wearing fellow, turns to Klevendon, "'es a bit of a drinker, likes his gin does old Mattison." he grins a grin that almost threatens to split his face, as well as disclosing his badly cared for teeth, "But then don't us all" he winks and elbows the third member of the trio who has yet remained unspoken, "Aint that so Alf?"
Alf, studiously ignores his companion, "I imagines that the best bloke to talk to is Klebbs for it was he who wrote the article"

Whilst this three way conversation is taking place, check suit bends to study the sewer lid before straightning and placing his hands on his hips. He whistles through his teeth in apreciation of the task, "S'pose we could if we 'ad the tools, the time, and if you get my meaning, the desire" with obvious meaning he glances towards the slight bulge in Klevendon's chest pocket that is most likely caused by an overfilled wallet
- Anais Nin

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”