Act II: The King's Head

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Act II: The King's Head

Post by Priest »

Act II: ‘The King’s Head’

The journey from the Museum to the King’s Head inn, takes no more than a few minutes by Hansom cab. From the outside you see little attraction in the red brick building with its bottle glass windows adorned with a painted name and various advertisements for different beers and spirits.

Three steps lead to an open front door above which a small wooden plaque advises that Mr Bertram Jacobs is licensed to sell…

Within the quality of the interior is not done any favours by the somewhat shabby looking exterior. Scrubbed timber and brocade cushioned furniture are neatly arranged alluding to the nature of clientele frequenting this establishment.

Although not overly filled with customers at this time, there are a few and their speech and dress show them to be of the better classes. Clean and tidy, and probably more respectful of their betters than the places favoured by the lower orders around the east end, your arrival causes a momentary silence, since you are strangers to this establishment, but within moment the cheery hubbub of talk is restored.

It being late autumn, and a trifle nippy, a cheery fire burns in the fireplace besides which an empty table bathes in its merry warmth.

As you seat yourselves, a middle aged gent, portly of stomach and thinning of hair, in a white apron walks towards you wiping his hands on a towel.
“Welcome, welcome good Sirs, and Miss of course. Welcome to me ‘umble hestablishment. I ‘ave fine liquor and vitals to offer”
A dire rumbling sound from Roxborough reverberates around the Inn,
“I ‘ave been hadvised that me meat platter is the talk hov the harea and would not hesitate to hoffer it to folks as fine as yourselves”
OOC:   Perception rolls please, or you may choose the average. As usual the more successes the better  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Act II: The King's Head

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington sits down and looks around with great interest.
Perception (4successes),I took the average.
When the patron appears, he addresses the man.

"I shan't be requiring any vitals, good man, but a glass of sherry would do well."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Klevendon's "Perception" 6: [dice]0[/dice]  
"The meat platter would be excellent for me, thank you," replies Klevendon.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie looks around carefully; dusting off the surface of her chosen seat.
Nellie looks around,Perception 8 +1 Style Pt [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I had to delete my first post; the spoiler button wouldn't open - and I have no idea what that roll was.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Results of Perception Rolls.
2 successes needed.
Looking around and considering the information first impressions of the establishment provide, you quickly notice that the barman is suffering slightly from the effects of too much alcohol, although he does mask it well. You also notice that he appears somewhat wary of you and that the cessation of chatter amongst the other customers has resumed but not to the same level as before. You feel that they watch and wait on your words.  
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Let's try and get information from the barman--I was thinking of asking about the stables, that's where the horse died, wasn't it?" Klevendon continues: "I must say, this mystery lark is jolly good fun! I envy you your 'day job,' Mr. Wellington; and you too, Ms. Bly," he remembers Higgins' corpse, and cuts his inappropriate grin.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"You can not imagine the tedium of some case people try to present me with, Mr. Klevendon. I can assure you, the true gems of mystery are quite rare indeed."

Wellington produces a small silver box and slowly screws it open. He sniffs up two doses of snuff and let's out an audible sigh of appreciation.

"I'm afraid interviewing Mr. Jacobs in plain sight of his customers will produce little extra information. The man is clearly shaken by the events, and he'll want none to do with whatever business we're up to if it further upsets his custom."

He smiles as he reclines in his seat.

"But tell me, my dear fellows, what you think the state of our case to be."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

As the barkeep departs with their orders for food and drink Nellie looks about again taking in their fellow patrons. She'd been in worse places, when covering stories at least the tables were clean and the food had come recommended.

"Let's not be too hasty to start fishing for information, better to try and ingratiate ourselves a little first. I dare say the barkeep likes a little tipple, I caught a whiff of spirits on his breath. But we should proceed carefully, if we push to much for information he'll clam up and we won't get the answers we want."
OOC:   Nellie orders a G&T and a roast beef sandwich  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Wriiten on behalf of the Right Honourable Roxborough.

Cognisant of the fact that his intermittent stomach rumbles may be taken in bad grace by his compannions and other customers of the establishment. Roxborough decides to forgo further comment instead concentrating on the decision of what vitals he should order.

Mind apparently made up he leans towards the barman,
"I'll have the meat platter, twice" his stomach uttered a muted growl of assent
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Roxborough takes in his surroundings, though the gnawing of his stomach on his backbone leaves him somewhat distracted.

"Barkeep! I spy some jellied eels and pickled eggs - be a good fellow and load up a small plate so that I might whet my appetite with a little hors d'oeuvre, whilst awaiting the reknowned meat platter!
OOC:   I'll take the average on Perception  
"My good companions, there is a free booth that will accommodate us all, shall we?"
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, all right," replies Klevendon, "you two are the experts.

"'Free booth,' Mr. Roxborough?" The peckish Antiquarian stands-up hastily, eager to start eating.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Following the admirable Roxborough's lead it took but a matter of seconds to relocate to the unocupied booth that had spied.
By the time you had seated yourselves the barman had returned bearing a large tray of assorted drinks and plates of pickles, jellied eels and such.

Thinking that the hors d'oeuvres were for you all he was suprised when the tall gentleman with the bristling moustache and the smaller, wiry companion made no effort to share the various delicacies with the others.

However with an almost imperceptible shrug of his shoulders he began placing the drinks before those who had ordered them. When he leans close the smell of alcohol is obvious, and although you might expect someone who works with spirits all day to smell of them, the smell that the barman is carrying is far to strong for simple spillage.

Now that you have taken the empty booth you find that any observation of yourselves by the clientile is somewhat obscured by the bar, giving you a hint of privacy.

"Your food should be along directly, hand I does 'ope it is to your satisfaction, is there hanything helse I may be of service with?"
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nelly stifles a chuckle seeing the barman's reaction to Roxborough's display of gluttony. "Please excuse our friend, he's perpetually hungry." she says smiling "He's been looking forward to sampling your meat platter ever since we heard about how highly it was regarded."
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Roxborough looks up, sucking grease and juice from his fingers, one by one. He somehow manages to look both apologetic and slightly ashamed whilst also hungrily eyeing the rest of the tasty morsels left on the plates in front him.

"Ermm, yes, well terribly sorry" he mutters whilst sucking the pinky of his left hand "It's been a long time since breakfast and, well, it's nearly lunchtime and one hasn't had elevenses" he offers by way of apology.

He picks up a piece of bread and starts wiping up the juices on one of the plates "Terribly bad sport to miss a meal! Elevenses too! One of the most important meals of the day! he pops the piece of bread in his mouth and starts chewing happily, almost oblivious to his companions at the table.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington sniffs the sherry with great delight, stirs the glass and sniffs it again. Comparing the scent to that coming from the barman.

"Much obliged, good man."

He leans back and sips from the drink, savouring the taste as he raises an expectant eyebrow at Mss Bly.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie catches the look from Wellington and mentally sighs, so she was expected to kick things off, entice the barkeeper into divulging all his secrets. Well Nellie would play along and have a little fun too.

Fixing the barkeeper with her best dazzling smile she started. "Oh yes as soon as we heard from the Professor how truly wonderful the platter was here at the Kings Head, dear Roxy was dying to come here and sample the food." Nellie waves a hand at Roxborough to indicate that he is dear Roxy.

"We were all set to rush over the other evening but alas Welly's Aunt had taken poorly and so we had to postpone our visit until now..." Nellie pauses and smiles at the barkeeper again, "You know, I think Roxy has been so looking forward to sampling your famous 'meat platter' I believe he's almost been starving himself, you know Roxy he's a slave to food." Nellie grins slightly.

Looking at Wellington, Nellie carries on "Welly... be a dear and buy our charming host a sherry, so he can tell us all about his fine hostelry and famous food" Now it's Nellie's turn to fix Wellington with an expectant look.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Using her womanly wiles to sweet talk the barman is a Con- seduction Roll 8 with an average of 4. Of course this will be assisted by you kind offer of a sherry.  
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At Nellies offer of sherry the barmans interest perks up, "Well that's most kind...Miss...I shall be honoured to haccept"
He now joins Nellie in an expectant look towards Wellington.
"Halthough I must confess that HI ham more partial to drop of gin, if it pleases you guvner?"
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

"Then a gin it shall be... who doesn't love a drop of mother's ruin eh?"
OOC:   happy to take the average + drink bonus... come on cough up Welly!  
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Gin it shall be indeed, goodman, to your health."

"Welly" gives Miss Bly a withering look as the innkeep turns his back.

OOC:   Sorry, lads, not much time today. ;)  

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”