Dragons of London

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Dragons of London

Post by Tabs »

Yes, let's leave poor Higgins," says Klevendon.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie re-caps her pen and puts away her note-book; quite happy to leave the vicinity of the poor deceased man. Although it might be a tad early for a spot of luncheon, perhaps they could spend the time on a quick meal and share their ideas and speculations on the events that Professor Hawthorne had involved them in. She smiled briefly as she thought of this... Wellington would no doubt protest at the thought of 'mere' hunches and speculation, concerning himself only with the facts at hand.

OOC: Am guessing it's about 11:30am - is that reasonable?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

OOC; 11:30 ish is fine.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

It took but moments for the professor to return you to the comfort of his office, having made certain that the door to the store room containing the body of the deceased was securely locked.

As you had passed the desk of his secretary she had placed a letter of introduction in the professor’s hand. It introduced you to Professor R.S Atwood, Chief Vetinarian at the Zoological Gardens as having a professional interest in the odd case of the dead horse so recently found outside the King’s Head Inn. It goes on to add the usual niceties and assurances that he, Professor Hargreaves was, and would always remain, his servant.

Back at his desk the professor signs the letter with a flourish, folds it and places it in an official museum envelope before handing it to Nellie,
“Give that letter to Atwood and tell him that you are working on my behalf” He drops, with a sigh, into his chair, “Now are there any other points that you wish clearing before…” A loud rumbling sound comes from the direction of Roxborough who reddens slightly. “Before you depart for a little refreshment?”
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon thinking:   What is it about death that fuels my appetites?  
Klevendon frowns at Roxborourgh: "Sir, please contain yourself: a man has been murdered!--have you no respect?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Roxborough blushes as he puffs up his chest, looking at Klevendon.

Sir, I can guarantee that I regard this case and the death of young Mr. Higgins with the utmost sincerity. It is however impossible for a man, regardless of the nobility of his birth, to suppress the baser needs of the human condition. I apologise if I have offended, but I would rather remedy than cause reason for remorse again. I suggest we make short of our final inquiry of the professor and leave for the inn presently.

Wellington steps up and concurs with Roxborough,

"I for one concur with the honourable Roxborough. We have already taken a considerable amount of the professor's time and yet have contributed very little to the solving of this case. There are two questions that I would pose before leaving, Professor. Namely, when exactly was Mr. Higgings last seen and when did you discover his body? Please think carefully, the more astute the answer the better we can estimate the creature's supposed time of escape. And secondly, we will also be needing a letter of introduction to your club. I would very much like to listen around there, in all discretion naturally."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The professor, tastefully ignores the sounds of hunger erupting from the hunters stomach, turning to Wellington he smiles although it is a smile tinged with worry and sadness.
"The last time I had occasion to talk to Simon was yesterday morning and it was later the same day that, having occasion to ask him about another museum exhibit, I found the situation as I have described"

He shakes his head momentarilly overcome by the memory. Then brightens as he advises,
"The Kings Head is said to be renowned for its cold meat platter. It would also allow you to interview Mr Jacobs, the landlord, as to the recent event in his yard".

He opens a drawer in his desk and removes a pile of papers, "Oh my club, yes. Please feel free to visit my club in the pursuit of your enquiries. The address is on this card, tell the doorman that you are there under my invite" He passes the small, tastefully decorated card to you, "But gentlemen and Miss Bly, I beg you please do be discreet"
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie takes the envelope from Professor Hawthorne, with a smile of thanks and slips it into her bag.

She tries to hide a wry smile behind a small cough, her hand covering her mouth upon hearing the gastric rumblings emanating from Roxborough's
stomach.

"Can you remember who was in the room at your club when you mentioned the Basilisk, Professor?" Nellie asks as he hands the card over to Wellington. "After all, it is quite likely that it was one of your companions that sent you the egg." She adds reasonably.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

carnage_lee wrote:"Can you remember who was in the room at your club when you mentioned the Basilisk, Professor?" Nellie asks as he hands the card over to Wellington. "After all, it is quite likely that it was one of your companions that sent you the egg." She adds reasonably.
"Not off hand dear lady, but I'm sure the information would be in the clubs register for the meeting" For a few moments his brow is wrinkled in thouthfull concentration, "However, I am certain that none of the august members of the 'Cerebal Activities Society' would stoop to anything that underhand, even in jest"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

'The club register'? Hmmm, I shall certainly check it out.  
Klevendon softens his affected outrage: "'Cold meat platter' you say? I believe I may try the dish."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Most often people believe what they would believe rather than face truth and fact, professor. But no worries, whoever or whatever is behind this shall be unmasked soon enough, you have my word."

He takes the card from miss Bly and offers her a formal smile in gratitude. He reads it and then puts the card away for later reference.

"Now I wonder if your very organised and diligent aide has found the crate the egg came in. It would be very forthcoming if we saw the container before we left."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   For excellent characterisations thus far you may each have another Style Point, giving you 4 points to use at your convenience. I shall make the necessary alterations on the appropriate topic.  
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, the egg's container," echoes Klevendon.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Once more the professor rings the ornate bell to summon his secretary.
"Ah Martha my dear, have you by chance found any trace of the package that contained the egg yet?"

Martha, a look of mortification on her otherwise plain features, wrings a lace handkerchief between her hands as if wringing the neck of some unfortunate creature.
"Indeed no sir. Though I have searched thoroughly as of yet no sign of the misplaced package can be found. I can only think that the janitor, Pearson, removed it to the furnace room for disposal. I have spoken to Pearson and have enlisted his aid in finding the article"

With a somewhat stiff curtsey she prepares to leave the room, "Was there anything else sir? If not I shall return to my filing"

As if to punctuate her last words an ominous rumbling reverberates around the room.

The professor looks aghast at Roxborough,
"By God Sir, for goodness sake go eat before you explode"
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wellington frowns and doesn't look all too happy.

"It is most unfortunate, Professor Hawthorne, that perhaps the most important clue has been rendered to the fire. I hope it proves to not be the case and that your assistant will yet manage to conjure up the box.

I would rightly appreciate its retrieval mentioned to me at the earliest possible moment, by means of courier or carrier boy.

Furthermore, I would like to suggest that you do contact the stout men of the Yard. After all, Mr. Higgins is quite dead, as we have all been able to attest, and the anxiety which may have caused his demise will have a detrimental effect on the preservation of his organs.
I would recommend asking for Inspector Nettles, he is one of the sharper men of the Constabulary and will value your need for discretion.
"

"Now I suggest we get moving, we have a lot of miles to cover and I fear our time to do so is running short. As is Mr. Roxborough's patience for getting some nourishment."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The professor stands, his face lined by a deep worried frown, "Indeed sir, it shall be as you ask. Rest assured the search for the missing container shall continue unabated. It shall be found, I assure you, and you shall receive notification the instant it is so"

He scribbles something on a small ringbound notepad, "Inspector Nettles you say? I shall contact him immediately and mention your name. I trust he is equally as discreet as you four?"

The next few minutes are spent in the usual formalities expected by polite society, after which you are given directions to the Kings Head and wished "Bon voyage" and "Good Hunting"
OOC:   The curtain falls leaving the intrepid adventurers and the professor in his office. The auditorium empties slowly as the audience files out for tea and cakes. Act 2: The King' Head, begins in a separate topic viewtopic.php?f=286&t=4695  
- Anais Nin

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”