OOC

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

OOC

Post by Priest »

Okay just a try out of the Ubiquity System really although it may form the start of a 'gaslight/steampunkish/explorerish' type set of adventures.
There are pregens available, so at this stage for a 'one shot' adventure there is no character generation to worry about. The system is based on the Ubiquity System from Exile Games Studio with adaptions by Triple Ace Games.
A simple system with, I feel, great possibilities. What we get here is a 'taster' for 'Leagues of Adventure', as they say just enough rules to play the scenario. The scenario being one of two possibles, 'The Plateau of the Apemen' or 'The Dragons of London' the exact scenario is yet to be decided.
The characters are;
Big Game Hunter
Consulting Detective
Hard Working Reporter (Female)
Explorer
Crackpot Antiquarian
Pioneering Aviatrix (Female)

So far DrPeterson has nabbed the Consulting Detective, Tabs the Crackpot antiquarian.

The Ubiquity System (on the back of a postage stamp)

Leagues of Adventure is a roleplaying game set in the late Victorian Age. Its larger-than-life heroes and villains and continuing adventures are powered by Ubiquity, an innovative game system that emphasizes storytelling and cinematic action. The Ubiquity system provides you with the tools and flexibility to play the kind of game you and your group want to play.
Dice
Unlike most other roleplaying games, Ubiquity does not use a specific type of dice. Any die will work, as long as it has an even number of sides. When making an Attribute or Skill check, roll a number of dice equal to the dice pool and count up the number of even numbers used. This total is the number of successes rolled. Odd numbers do not subtract from the number of successes.
Example: Rolling seven dice give a result of 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8, and 11. Tally up the even- numbered dice (4, 8, and 8) for a result of three successes. (I have tried this out on Invisible Castle and the dice roller handles it okay)
Dice Rolls
Dice rolls are made by rolling a number of dice equal to the appropriate Skill or Attribute rating, and counting the successes. If the player gets successes equal to or more than the Difficulty of the task, she succeeds. Weapon, equipment, and situational modifiers may increase or decrease the number of dice rolled.
Taking the Average
If a character’s average skill rating is greater than or equal to the Difficulty rating, the player may choose not to roll the dice and automatically succeed instead.
Players may not Take the Average during combat, or in stressful situations (as determined by the Gamemaster). On the other hand, the Gamemaster may choose to Take the Average for non-player characters’ dice rolls in order to speed up combat. If a Skill or Attribute rating is listed with a “+” sign, the character rolls a single die. A success adds one to the average rating, a failure does not.

(adapted from Plateau of the Ape Men & The Dragons of London)

Further rule explanation will be forthcoming in due time.
So, 'roll up, roll up, join the adventure of a lifetime!!' (first come, first served)
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: OOC

Post by Tabs »

Put me down for the Crackpot Antiquarian.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Tabs wrote:Put me down for the Crackpot Antiquarian.
All yours characther details pmed to you.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

A detective and an antiquarian, good times abound!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Gentlemen please feel free to supply your respective characters a suitable name.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

A little more introduction blurb;

Leagues of Adventure is a roleplaying game set in the late Victorian Age. It follows the grand traditions of fiction such as H. G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds, The Island of Doctor Moreau, and The Time Machine, Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan series, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Lost World and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne’s Around the World in Eighty Days, Five Weeks in a Balloon, and The Adventures of Captain Hatteras, Rudyard Kipling’s The Man Who Would Be King, and H. Rider Haggard’s King Solomon’s Mines and She—works which laid the foundations for the later pulp and steampunk genres.
In many regards Leagues of Adventure follows the tradition of the pulp genre, albeit set in an earlier era. It is a world where much is happening:
* While a large portion of the globe has been mapped, brave explorers and adventures are pushing back the re¬maining boundaries, venturing into previously unchart¬ed regions and making contact with cultures previously unknown to the Western world.
* Colonial officers rule over much of the known world in the name of foreign governments. The colonial pow¬ers’ lust for new resources and markets has led to "the Great Game," intense political maneuvering between the Great Powers of the day. While diplomats and viceroys work in the open, spies foment dissension and try to uncover their rivals’ secrets.
* Weird scientists are at the front of a technological revolution. Despite these advances, science is matched by a rise in occultism and spiritualism. Magic may be dead, but men and women have become fascinated with the hereafter.
* Treasure hunters and antiquarians are discover¬ing not only lost tombs, but entire lost cities, ruins unexplored for centuries or even millennia. Some crave knowledge of these bygone days, while others seek to plunder fabulous treasures.
* Scientists of all disciplines are making new discover¬ies about our natural world and the heavens beyond.
It is a time of adventure and exploration, of wonder and amazement, of science and the occult, and of the dark days of colonial oppression.
So, the question arises: what exactly is Leagues of Adventure? Is it a gritty steam-pulp game where the characters stand in the way of automatons bristling with gears and gadgets, villainously set upon the destruction of London? Is it a pulp action game set in exotic locales, where they meet and handily defeat savage warriors before sitting down to afternoon tea and discussing the damnable heat? Or is it a highly cinematic one in which the characters swing single-handedly from the underside of an early airship whilst bare-knuckle boxing ptero¬dactyls over a lost plateau on which stands a pyramid built by some unknown civilization ... or something else entirely different?
Truth be told, it is all of these, and whatever else you want it to be! This book is not a stone tablet, into which are chiseled firm rules and set ways of playing the game. There is no right or wrong way to use Leagues of Adventure, and it is flexible enough to cope with any roleplaying style.
Whatever drives your character, there’s a world packed with danger, excitement, and mystery out there just waiting to be explored!

Hurrah, dering do, adventure and a splendid cup of tea!!
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Hooray and hip hip for this dashing heap of pulp!
And damn that blasted heat!

I shall be giving voice to Horatio George Wellington, daring detective, supreme sleuth and brilliant brainbox!

In such a brilliant adventure, where would we be without the equally amazing Peter Cushing?
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

I'm loving this more by the minute! They even based their drawing of the detective on Cushing! :D
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion in the hope of attracting at least one more participant, the Explorer, Big Game Hunter or Diligent Reporter (Female) are recommended.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Arthur Cecil Klevendon

Image[/URL]
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Gentlemen.
As players willing to try this system seem rarer than Dodo eggs, I am considering going with two main characters (yours) and two NPCs which you will also have control of untill (hopefully) new players are forthcoming.
If you are interested in the idea please signify by tapping your wine glasses with your dinner knives in a polite and seemly manner.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Hear, hear!

I happen to have a very good friend who is staying in London at the moment. He was injured in the East Indies, but there's no keener shot and no better doctor!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Alas there is no pregen doctor. However, I will study those that remain and see if I can alter one to suit.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Oh no, don't worry about that. I'll take the Big Game Hunter, or the Explorer if Tabs prefers the BGH.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

How about the lady reporter as well for me?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Perfect I'll set them up. Big Game Hunter and the Hard Working Reporter.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Gentlemen, fellow members of the Leagues of Adventure society, I present to you your fellow companions.
Firstly a young woman of outstanding prominence in the field of journalism, Miss Nellie Bly, of the Fernley Bly's.
Now I realize having females is not to the taste of some of our more ‘venerable’ members, but we must move with the times and Miss Bly, I am sure, will prove a most valuable asset in any forthcoming adventure.
And next, but by no means least, may I also crave your further indulgence and introduce to you the Right Honourable Peter Roxborough, son of Lord Roxborough a long standing member of this society. Well I say “long standing” and so he was until a blasted lion ate one of his legs during a recent expedition to Kenya.
(Full character details may be found on the Characters topic)
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Miss Amelia Watson is now Nellie Bly

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

My my, that is a sassy Victorian dame! Rawr!

The right honourable Peter Roxborough will be portrayed by the redoubtable Robert Peck.

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

DrPeterson wrote:My my, that is a sassy Victorian dame! Rawr!
From what I briefly read about Nellie Bly, she's the type of gal who'd take no shines from a man. . . .

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”