Page 1 of 1

Act VI: 'The London Electric Company'

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:40 pm
by Priest
Act VI: 'The London Electric Company'

Historically, very little of London is powered by electricity in the 1890s. In the world of Leagues of Adventure, where weird science is a fact of life, many Londoners already enjoy electric lighting. Except in the houses of crazed inventors, electric heating is still a decade or so away, and electric appliances further away still. The London Electric Company is one of many exploring the possibilities of electricity. They provide power to much of the City of London, including the Houses of Parliament, Fleet Street, and the Bank of England. They have recently made the news due to a series of power outages.

The curtains draw back to reveal to our enthralled audience our intrepid investigators in the foyer of The London Elecric Company's building on the banks of the river Thames at Battersea.

In fact they stand at one of several receptionists desk in the main foyer of the building. A building resplendent with its neo-classical architecture complete with Doric style collumns and a magnifficent attempt at a classical greek frieze showing a Zeus, who bears more that a passing resemblance to the late Prince Albert, throwing lightning bolts at various frollicking satyrs and nymphs, very tasteful and showing true Victorian refinement.

The receptonist, a rather plain young woman with a most severe hairstyle, round glasses and an unfortunate leer, looks up from her typewriter, "Yes may I help you?"

Re: Act VI: 'The London Electric Company'

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:38 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Wellington will bring the full power of his deductive reasoning to bear on the small wooden packing box.

Wellington, Perception / Investigation 8
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:43 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie smiles and steps up, deftly taking the box from Wellington "I do hope you can help, a collegue of ours received this package recently and we are trying to locate the person who sent it.." Nellie shows the box to the secretary, so that she can clearly see the LEC logo.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:03 pm
by Priest
Wellington, no matter how hard he studies it, is unable to deduce anyting from the box. It is of standard construction and at one time it was packed with straw, no doubt to secure the eggs during posting. The numbers on the box beneath the London Electric Company logo must be a reference number.
Previously Nellie said:   "I do hope you can help, a collegue of ours received this package recently and we are trying to locate the person who sent it.."  
The receptionist nods at several chairs alongside the wall beside the reception desk, "Be so kind as to take a seat. I shall summon young Herbert to fetch Mr Hargreaves of the Store Department"

She produces a brass tube, more likely to be seen on the bridge of a ship either the sea or air kind, and blows it twice, "Herbert, go and find Mr Hargreaves in the Store Department and have him come to reception, and be smart about it"

Within a few minutes a short, rotund, bespectacled man wearing a brown overall coat arrives, puffing slightly from exertion. He introduces himself as Hargreaves the Store Department manager.

For a few moments he studies the container, then removing his cap he scratches his head, “Something about this reference number is familiar, but I can’t put my finger on it. If you would care to follow me down to the stores I can check the ledgers. That should tell us who ordered whatever was in this box.”

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   I've missed something. Where did Wellington come from?--I thought that he was still knee deep in sewage.  

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:51 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Andy decided to gloss over what would have happened when the police arrived to recover the bodies.... keeps us all together and speeds things up.  

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:42 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Oh yeah. I had thought Wellie and Roxie were continuing along the sewers.  
Klevendon digs in his pocket and produces the straw that he took from the packing case. "I wonder if you can make anything of this, old boy?" he says to Wellington.

~

"Lead on, Mr. Hargreaves."

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:50 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Sorry about the confusion Tabs just trying to move things along without bogging us down in the sewers :D  
Previously Klevendon said:   "I wonder if you can make anything of this, old boy?"  
Wellington raises an eyebrow. "It is a straw, old boy. I would imagine that the sender simply packed the eggs in straw to avoid breakage in the post"

As Hargreaves leads the way downstairs to the store department, he mentions the recent power outages that have bedeviled the city of late.

“A right mystery that is,” he says, shaking his head. “I’m not directly involved in the running of the generators, but I do know that something is draining power. One of the mechanics explained it to me like this".

“Imagine London's a barrel of water with the bung taken out, as someone is pouring water in the top. When everything is running smoothly the water leaking out is replaced at an equal rate by the water going in. That’s how we work. We provide enough electricity to meet demand. But then the water suddenly begins to flow out at a faster rate, and that’s when you get blackouts—there isn’t enough water for everyone".

“Anyway, the mechanic reckoned there was a fault somewhere along the cabling. Something called a short circuit, whatever that is. Likely it’ll be fixed soon—the bosses have contacted that Mister Tesla to see if he can help. Ah, here we are!”

He stops at a door marked Stores and opens it. Within is a small office there are several chairs, a small table complete with a polished brass tea urn and several mugs, and a stable door in the opposite wall marked 'No Admittance - Authorised Employees Only'.

"In here is where all the ledgers are kept" he opens the hatched door, leaning back into the room momentarily, "This may take a couple of minutes. Please make yourselves comfortable and help yourselves to tea"

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:29 pm
by Tabs
"Straw only--yes, quite so."

~

"The power outage could be caused by our dinosaur friends?" speculates Klevendon. "If we could find the whereabouts of the problem we may also find the dinosaurs."

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:54 am
by carnage_lee

Nellie's journalist senses twitch as she listens to Hargreaves as he tries to explain the recent power outages, she makes a mental note of his explanation "might come in useful, and there's definitely a story here.... short-circuit... if there is a problem with this new technology then people need to hear about it." she thinks, cursing the fact that she can't stop to scribble notes.

"Goodness, I do hope that it is not a dangerous fault and that Mr. Tesla can shed some light on the problem." she suppresses a giggle at her unintended pun.

"Tea... that sounds like a capital idea, thank you." Nellie starts to make tea for everyone, while Hargreaves goes into the back room.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:10 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The Detective moves slowly around the small office, peering at this and that... "Six lumps in mine, thank you." he says abruptly and continues his self-guided tour of the small office.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:48 am
by Priest
No sooner had Nellie started the tea making process, raised voices are heard coming from the storeroom.
Before you have a chance to react a single gunshot reverberates from within the room.
OOC:   Any characters entering the room should make perception rolls, TN 2 successes  

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:51 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough dashes through to the store room.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:39 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The Destructive stops his prowling as the gunshot rings out, drawing his revolver he rushes through the doorway. "Stay back" he says to Miss Bly and Mr Klevendon as they are not armed.
OOC:   Perception 8
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:32 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon stands frozen, his teacup held between the table and his lips.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:55 pm
by Priest
As Wellington and Roxborough dash through the door which Hargreaves had entered a few moments before, they find themselves in a long warehouse/store room filled with shelving units.
From the far end of the long room you are aware of multiple voices, but not how many.
OOC:   If you wish to sneak closer and hopefully suprise the owners of the voices make a Stealth Roll (as usual the more successes the better) if not...  
Both Nellie and Klevendon stand very still and alert.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:32 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Welington half turns and puts his index finger to his lips, then indicates to Roxborough that they should move cautiously. Moving slowly in a half crouch, with his pistol at the ready, the detective moves towards the voices...
OOC:   Stealth: 5
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:56 am
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough nods his understanding to Wellington and accompanies him down the hallway
OOC:   Stealth[5][dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:32 am
by Priest
Thugs Perception,1d6, 1d6 → ([3], [4]) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4637419/ [b]I success[/b]
As Wellington and Roxbourough begin to creep quietly up the long room, an auspicious beginning is undone when Roxbourough accidently knocks a cardboard box filled with bits from a shelf. Thud, crash, rattle, pop!

The sudden noise, echoing around the room, has two immediate effects first it silences the voices, second it sends several figures darting behind cover. You hear the ominous sound of pistols being cocked. "Oi" shouts a harsh voice, "Stay where u is, an put yer 'ands up'

OOC:   Please roll for Initiative. Wellington and Roxborough only (Do not forget any add ons and that you may spend Style points to gain extra dice). Outside the room Nellie and Klevendon can hear the commotion within and may enter the room at the close of this initiative round this round  

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:15 pm
by Papa Gateau

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:32 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Horatio Wellington: Initiative: 7
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:49 pm
by Priest
Thugs initiative,3d6 → ([4], [3], [6]) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4638632/ 2 Successes.
OOC:   Wellington with 3 successes and an initiative of seven acts first, then Roxborough, then the Thugs  
Before you the storeroom is filled with free standing metal shelving units that rise from floor level to the ceiling. These shelves seem fairly well filled with boxes and files of varying sizes. All this added with the rather dim lighting for such a large room provides ample cover from both shelving units and obscurring shadows. Overall you estimate that the room is some fifty feet long by twenty feet wide and around fifteen feet high. There are three shelving units each about three feet wide.

From what you had seen in the moments before the thugs became alerted to your presence, there had been four men all engaged in stuffing something into a large burlap sack, which now lies abandoned between two of the shelving units close to a unmoving body that bears a striking resemblance to the store manager that you had seen enter the room prior to the gunshot. Of the four thugs? You are certain you saw them run for cover, two to the left and two to the right.
OOC:   Wellington is first up what does he do?  

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:04 pm
by Tabs
"Help!" squeaks Klevendon. Realising he must do something he rushes back upstairs calling to Nellie as he does so."Get out of there, Miss Bly. Danger!"

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:17 am
by Priest
OOC:   Think I got combat wrong earlier, resulting in the killing of the raptor being easier than it should have. My bad.
These are from the HEX rulebook which the Ubiquity system comes from and make things a tad clearer.

Attacking: When attacking, a player selects one of the weapons in his possession (for this purpose, natural attacks such as Punch and Bite are considered weapons) and rolls a number of dice equal to the attack’s rating.
Defending: The defender rolls a number of dice equal to his Defense rating (again, adding or subtracting any appropriate modifiers) and counts the number of successes. If the attacker scores more successes than the defender, the defender takes a number of points of damage equal to the extra successes. If the attacker scores less than or equal to the defender’s number of successes, the attack misses, or hits and does no damage.
So Wellingtons pistol shot should have done damage to the creature respective of the number of successes he rolled compared to the creatures defence. Wellington fired three shots two o which outscored the raptors defence his damge should have been the number of succeses he ouscored the raptor by. As a result I probably allowed you to down the creature rather too easily. But that is past, now for the present :D  

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:09 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Ahh I see - I did think it was lucky that it was killed so swiftly.

We both looked at the combat rules at the time too.... but we did agree that they're very confusing.

Some questions...

I assume we had time to change out attire... and it's ok that Wellington would keep his revolver. Is Roxborough armed and if so what with?  

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:08 pm
by Priest
carnage_lee wrote:
OOC:   Ahh I see - I did think it was lucky that it was killed so swiftly.

We both looked at the combat rules at the time too.... but we did agree that they're very confusing.

Some questions...

I assume we had time to change out attire... and it's ok that Wellington would keep his revolver. Is Roxborough armed and if so what with?  
OOC:   Some answers...
Indeed you may. Wellington still has his heavy revolver and Roxborough, although having left his rifle in his lodgings, is suitably armed with a heavy pistol as well.
And now we await Wellingtons move with baited breath :)  

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:25 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon goes in search of help, starting at reception.
OOC:   We're waiting for Lee?  

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:21 pm
by Priest
Tabs wrote:
OOC:   We're waiting for Lee?  
OOC:   We were, but I will NPC Wellington here to move on  
Wellington takes aim at one of the moving figures. He pulls the trigger and his pistol, loud in the closed room, sends death towards his target.
OOC:   Attack of 8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4644664/)getting 3 successes
Target defence is 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4644670/) 1 success
So Wellington has 2 successes meaning 2L wounds  
The thug screams as he dives behind a shelving unit.
Wellington smiles satisfaction as he ducks into cover, "Hands up yourselves"
OOC:   Roxborough is up. You have a 1 attack, 1 move, and as many defence actions as you need per round.  

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Sorry - busy weekend and busier Monday - was snowed under yesterday and had to collect my brother from hospital after work - took 2 hours just to get there!  

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:57 pm
by Priest
carnage_lee wrote:
OOC:   Sorry - busy weekend and busier Monday - was snowed under yesterday and had to collect my brother from hospital after work - took 2 hours just to get there!  
No apology needed. Sometimes RL can be a major pain ;)
OOC:   Tabs, It might be a good idea if you take Roxborough's first round  

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   shot in the basement (1d6=1, 1d6=6, 1d6=4, 1d6=2, 1d6=6, 1d6=4, 1d6=3) And I see from his character sheet that Roxborough has some useful Talents, he'll apply these if poss.  
Roxborough's heavy revolver thunders in the basement.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 pm
by Priest
OOC:   I've checked Roxborough's talents and in this case none apply. Called shot only applies when aiming is used. Boosts are merely increases in the level of talent in question. And Long Shot simply doubles the range before penalties are applied, and as the range to the opponents is within that distance penalties would not be applicable.
Anyway; Roxborough has 5 successes for his attack
The target has 4 successes defence (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4645874/)
Therefore Roxborough score 1L on his target  
Boom roars Roxborough's webley and another of the scurrying figures yells as he dives for refuge.
OOC:   Roxborough still has 1 move action available, so I take it he will use this to move to cover?  
From the the shadows two pistols bark defiance in answer to your shots.
OOC:   Three success against Wellington
No successes against Roxborough (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4645898/)
Now Wellington must roll defense 5 + 4 (behind cover he may of course choose to spend Style Points) dice, to beat 3 successes  
Gunfire echoes around the room, Roxborough hears the whine of a bullet somewhere above his head but not close enough to bother him.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:00 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Okay, using the 'Defense and Taking the Average' rules Wellington has 4 successes v the three of the thug. As a result the shot misses.
Nellie is outside the room and may make her action now if she wishes, while Klevendon has gone in search of aid.
Nellie's options are limited to movement only. Once she has moved would the Gentlemen, Wellington and Roxborough, please roll initiative.  

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:05 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie looks about the office, desperately trying to find something that could be of use... perhaps she could throw something... her mind whirls.
OOC:   Not sure what Nellie can do, apart from maybe take the mugs and throw them from the cover of the doorway? Might make a distraction?  

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:31 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Might work. There are other heavier objects like the tea urn for example, or a small roller file system. Inside the store room of course the shelves are filled with boxes containing all sorts, of course you'd have to be in the room to see them  

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:15 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Ok, so in this instance Nellie moves to collect a few empty mugs... intending to then throw them causing a diversion - using the doorway as cover. I guess the 2nd part will wait till the next 'round'.  

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Right, Wellington and Roxborough's initiatives please
In the continuing abscence of Dr P and the temporary abscense of Papa G could Lee and Tabs roll for them  

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:23 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Horatio Wellington: Initiative: 7
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Nellie Initiative: 5
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:31 am
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Initiative:[dice]0[/dice]

Are the shelves in the room freestanding? Could we push them over and topple them like dominos to trap/crush our antagonists?  

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:56 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Round Two:
1st Roxborough, 2nd Wellington, 3rd Nellie and finally the Thugs (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4648067/)
So Roxborough acts first (the middle shelving unit appears free standing and might be amenable to a push. It would be a feat of strength and requires you to roll Strx2 dice pool against a TN of 3. You can of course spend style points and buy extra d6s to increase your chances of success. The more successes you score the better the effect. I like your thinking.  

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   What if Wellington and Roxy team up to topple the shelving?  

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:52 pm
by Papa Gateau
With a bellow Roxborough rushes forwards and slams his considerable bulk into the central book-shelf.

As the shelf rocks from the impact he leans into, straining into it, lifting it, using the momentum to reach tipping point
OOC:   2xSTR + 4 style points = [dice]0[/dice]  
The shelf tips! It crashes into the next, scattering boxes and documents...
OOC:   That's 5 4 successes (I can't count), hopefully enough to get the domino effect.  

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:50 pm
by Priest
Out of the corner of his eye Wellington sees the shadowy form of his companion suddenly push at the central shelving unit, with an ominous creak it begins to sway. First right and then left all the while shedding its contents of boxes...

OOC:   Okay, Wellington next. His attack dice pool is 8. He is aware that two of the thugs have been hit and are in cover somwere to the left (1) and right (2). It was no 1 that he hit on the previous round.
He is also aware that the other two thugs are also hidden down there somewhere, as they were firing from there and the first two would not have been able to fire at that time.  

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:35 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   As Wellington can't see any of the thugs all he can do is dart into cover and try to obtain a better angle to shoot from.  

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:37 am
by Priest
carnage_lee wrote:
OOC:   As Wellington can't see any of the thugs all he can do is dart into cover and try to obtain a better angle to shoot from.  
OOC:   Not actualy on the 'combat manouveres' list, but I will allow you to move then hold your fire for a target of opportunity, which you may elect to use at any time during this round, obviously it will gain you a penalty as it is really a snap shot  
As the shelving unit continues to sway alarmingly, some of the boxes fall and burst open disgorging glass objects that explode on contact with the floor, throwing shards in every direction. Wellington, taking advantage of the chaos within the store creeps further into cover his pistol cocked and poised in readiness...
OOC:   Nellies up  

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:49 am
by carnage_lee

Nellie jumps as she hears the shelving crashing down, from the doorway she can see Wellington as he moves into cover.

Taking aim with a tea-mug, Nellie throws it as far as she can into the room towards where she assumes the attackers are... perhaps she can confuse them..

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:00 pm
by Priest
At the far end of the store romm the four thugs take quick stock of the situation, two have been wounded as can be testified to by the subdued whining that comes from the shadows where they have taken cover. The other two, unwounded, were able to fire at our intrepid heroes with no success. Now they ready their pistols once more, this time taking care to aim...
However, their deliberations are rudely interupted as the central shelving unit begins to sway madly, first to the left then to the right, all the while dropping its contents to the floor.
Around them the situation becomes rapidly untenable as boxes empty their contents with explosions and showers of glass. To make matters worse the air is also filled with flying crockery.
As of the same mind, the two unwounded thugs break cover and attempt to rush up the store room and the promised escape of the doorway.
OOC:   Thugs Brawl 4 +2 (Charge) -3 (tough due to falling boxes etc)
Thug 3 running toward Wellington: 3 successes
Thug 4 running toward Roxborough: 1 success (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4652510/)
In both cases they fail to damage either Wellington or Roxborough. However next round they will be in melee.
Of course Wellington who has held fire for such an opportunity may attempt a shot at -3 penalty for it being a snap shot before that round begins  

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:59 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Thankful that his companions' actions seem to have unnerved the remaining thugs, as bullets pepper the shelving unit he has taken cover behind. The shooting stops and he hears the sound of someone scrambling over the debris scattered over the floor of the store room. Taking a second to peek out the sees two heavyset men making their way across the store room, somewhat hindered by the assorted objects strewn about. Both men have murderous looks upon their thuggish faces... one spies Wellington and angles towards him.

The Detective brings his pistol to bear and squeezes the trigger...
OOC:   Wellington (snap shot... 8 - 3 = 5)
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:33 pm
by Priest
OOC:   The Thug has a defense of 4 so the average is 2 successes which matches the 2 successes scored by Wellington, so as a result Wellington's shot misses - barely  
Boom!!! Wellington's revolver spits fire almost in the fast approaching thugs face. In the gunflash you can see the thug wince in reaction. However to both his and the renowned detectives amazement the shot misses its target...
OOC:   Initiatives please folks for round three  

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Initiative Nellie Bly: 5
[dice]0[/dice]

Initiative Horatio Wellington: 7
[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:07 pm
by Priest
OOC:   So Nellie goes on two. Wellington on four. Thugs on one (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4653469/). Its just Roxborough we need now.
Klevendon's run has taken him to the stair doors.  

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:10 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Roxborough 6d6 initiative = 5 successes (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4654565/)
So order is 1st, Roxborough 2nd, Wellington 3rd Nellie and last the thugs.
I will wait, and hope, for a reply from Papa G before NPCing Roxborough's action  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:58 am
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Can you give a brief idea of how we are situated? Are we between the thugs and the doorway? Or are they heading to a different exit than the one we entered by?  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:02 pm
by Priest
Papa Gateau wrote:
OOC:   Can you give a brief idea of how we are situated? Are we between the thugs and the doorway? Or are they heading to a different exit than the one we entered by?  
OOC:   You are between the thugs and the only exit from the room. Your tipping of the central shelving unit had the effect of driving them out of cover and running, through the falling boxes, towards the exit. At this stage two of them are almost in face to face contact with you and Wellington, while the other two, the ones you hit ealier with your pistol fire, simply whimper and burrow deeper into the shadows at the opposite end of the room. No doubt their fear incresed by the sudden explosion of crockery near them.
As said the two charging have closed to within melee distance. Moments before the sound of Wellingtons pistol had almost deafened you as it fired. Now one of the charging thugs leaps the last obstacle between you and him. In one hand you can see he holds a pistol, in the other a loosely held club of some description. The look on his face doesn't strike you as someone coming for a chat. You act first.  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:59 pm
by Papa Gateau
With a roar Roxborough charges towards the nearest thug, dropping his shoulder and leading with it.
OOC:   Not sure which skill to use Brawl or Melee but my dice is the same for the both. Will spend another 3 style points - as I'm trying to shoulder charge into the first thug and knock him back into the second using my bulk.

Brawl/Melee 4 + 3 style: [dice]0[/dice]

Edit extra 2 dice [dice]1[/dice]

Jeez - the dice ain't with me :( - amy bonuses for my size?  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:41 pm
by Priest
Papa Gateau wrote:With a roar Roxborough charges towards the nearest thug, dropping his shoulder and leading with it.
OOC:   Not sure which skill to use Brawl or Melee but my dice is the same for the both. Will spend another 3 style points - as I'm trying to shoulder charge into the first thug and knock him back into the second using my bulk.

Brawl/Melee 4 + 3 style: [dice]0[/dice]

Jeez - the dice ain't with me :( - amy bonuses for my size?  
OOC:   A charge action, which I presume you are undertaking, will gain you two further dice (don't waste them), so far you have two successes. It will use your move action as well.The move ends, whatever the result, with you in a face to face struggle  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:00 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   I edited the post above to add the extra 2 dice - I failed to heed your advice about wasting them :cry:  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:03 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Momentarily shocked that his shot had somehow gone wide gives the thug enough time to charge closer. Wellington's reflexes prove superior to his attacker and he unleashes a roundhouse punch that's intended to incapacitate the other fellow ... as he starts his move he glimpses Roxborough launch forward to engage the other ruffian.
OOC:   Wellington attacks:
Punch (5N*) + 3 style Pts = 8N (*N = non lethal)

[dice]0[/dice]  
OOC:   Bad luck Papa G!

When is Dr P due back?  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:16 pm
by Priest
With a mighty roar, Roxborough launches himself at the approaching thug. Unfortunately the attack is far from as mighty as the roar as he crashes into the thug the thug flashes a wicked looking leather club towards his face. Luckilly, no doubt due to the rubbish strewn about the floor, his attempt to bash Roxborough goes wide. Though not by much (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4655994/).
Meanwhile the doughty detective puts aside his dismay at missing at such range and throws an expertly timed roundhouse, as taught to him by none other than Stubbsy Whitedhapel Bare Knuckle champ 1895, catching the fast advancing ruffian a solid blow that almost sends him to his knees. However the chap shakes his head clear and returns the favour using the butt of his pistol to enhance the blow. The swing, mighty though it was, fails to connect as the detective ducks professionally and cooly below the blow (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4656001/)
OOC:   If Nellie wishes to launch more crockery she may do so. As to Dr P's return I thought he would have by now. The round is now finished Initiative rolls for round 3 please  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:38 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough
OOC:   Initative [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Initiative Nellie Bly: 5
[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:12 am
by Priest
OOC:   Round three initiative order: 1st Roxborough with 4 successes. 2nd Wellington with three. 3rd Nellie with 1 and finally the thugs with a big fat 0.
So Your action Please Mr Roxborough, remember you and your adversary are in face to face confrontation.  
Elsewhere in the building, Klevendon reaches the top of the stairs, opens the door to the reception area and...

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:23 am
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough in a rage, leaps towards his adversary
Brawling,Roxy is a bit pissed off now, so I'm going all out attack + another 3 style points Brawl[4] + All out[2] + Style[3] = [dice]0[/dice] Can you explain the difference between melee/brawl - just so I know which skill to use
He wraps his foe into a bear hug and brings his head forwards in a smashing blow, he feels a satisfy crunch! as he crushes his opponents nose, splattering blood!

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:59 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Brawl
Base Attribute: Strength
Brawl represents your character’s ability to fight with his bare hands. It covers everything from disciplined martial arts maneuvers to clawing and biting. Characters with this Skill are not only adept at hand-to-hand combat, they are able to easily knock down, incapacitate, or throw their opponents.
Your character may specialize in the following attacks:
* Dirty Tricks: The ability to do whatever it takes to hurt
an opponent
* Grappling: The ability to grapple and immobilize an
opponent
* Kicking: The ability to use knees and feet to hurt an
opponent
* Punching: The ability to use hands and elbows to hurt
an opponent
* Throws: The ability to flip an opponent or knock him
to the ground
Note: Animals and Monsters may specialize in their
natural weaponry (e.g., claw, bite, and tail attacks).

Melee
Base Attribute: Strength
Melee represents proficiency with a variety of handheld weapons. It includes common weapons such as clubs and knives, as well as axes, swords, and spears. Characters with this Skill are deadly with virtually any hand-held weapon.
Your character may specialize in the following weapons:
* Axes: Proficiency with axes, polearms, and other
chopping weapons
* Clubs: Proficiency with maces, clubs, and other blunt
weapons
* Knives: Proficiency with knives and other small bladed
weapons
* Spears: Proficiency with spears, lances, and other
extended weapons
* Swords: Proficiency with swords, rapiers, and other
bladed weapons  
As the headbutt connects with a sickening CRUNCH!!! the thug wrapped in Roxborough's arms goes limp. His pistol dropping from suddenly nerveless fingers, while his mouth opens and closes like a fish pulled from water.
OOC:   Roxborough scored 5 successes which gave him 3 more successes than the Thugs defence of 2. As a result that thug is now stunned and unable to retaliate this turn. He can do nothing but reflex actions, so is all but helpless as things stand if not for the fact that you have him in a bear hug he would also have been knocked back 5 feet.
Next up Wellington.  

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:37 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Wellington raises an eyebrow at the resilience of his opponent but taking advantage of the thugs momentary confusion he launches a combination of punches.
OOC:   Wellington:

Punch(5N) +2 Style pts (7)
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:34 pm
by Priest
Adopting a pugilist pose as he had been taught by Stubbsy, Wellington throws a good old fashioned combination. Left, right, Whack!!! Whack!!!. For a split second the thugs legs turn rubbery and he sways in an uncontrolable manner. With a gentle sigh the thug falls to the ground - out cold
OOC:   Again Wellington has scored four successes to the thugs defence of two. However, in this case the thugs health points have been overcome and he is hors de combat.
Nellie may have her turn if she wishes
After her action, one of the other thugs, hit earlier by Wellington's shot finds the courage to fire at the detective knowing full well that a miss might hit his compatriot. He fires and has four successes which is more than Wellington' defence average (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4657511/). So Wellington must roll his Defence (5) + 2 for cover (the firers compatriot who is busy collapsing to the floor). The fourth thug carries on with his whining and shows no wish to emrerge from cover.  

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:44 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Wellington: Defence (5) + 2 (in cover)

[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:00 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Wellington has three successes against the four of the thug. The bullet hits and does 1L damage  
The detective, uncharacteristicaly, curses as the bullet from the thugs gun strikes him in the left shoulder.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:29 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I guess that means it's a new round...

Initiative Nellie Bly: 5
[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:34 am
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough
OOC:   Init [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 pm
by Priest
OOC:   thugs initiative 3d6 2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4661222/)

So order of action for round 4
Wellington = 5 successes
Nellie= 4 successes
Roxborough = 2 successes (7 initiative)
Thugs = 2 successes (3 initiative)  
Both Wellington and the doughty Roxborough have masterfully disposed of their attackers, one by a show of superior pugilistic skill, the other by aplication of strength and dogged determination. However, from the shadows the figure of a third assailant leans forward and sends lead flying toward the detective, seemingly uncaring of the danger of hitting his compatriot. The bullet hits home and manages to wring a curse from the detective, "Damn!!" he cries, "Worry not it is but a flesh wound".
OOC:   Round 4: first up is Wellington. Don't forget one combat action + one move  

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:06 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The hot pain from the wound to his shoulder spurs the detective into action, he draws a bead on his assailant and squeezes the trigger.
OOC:   Wellington, shoots revolver (8)
[dice]0[/dice]  
He then moves to the side, taking cover as best he can.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:11 am
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Nellie gasps in shock as the fight plays out in the room beyond, she sees Wellington clutch at his shoulder before declaring his wound not to be too bad, the detective shoots again and then moves behind some shelves.

Nellie begins to gather up her skirts and rip at her top petticoat to make temporary bandages.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:38 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Wellington has scored 6 successes against which the thug has a defense of 2 (he would normaly have +2 for cover, but due to Roxboroughs destruction of the cover earlier this no longer applies). Therefore Wellington has scored 2 points of Lethal damage of the gun toting thug.  
Wellington, manfully ignoring the wound to his left shoulder, returns the compliment with a solid hit on the thug. A hit that not only elicits a high pitched scream of pain, but also the rapid collapse of the target. He falling one way and his pistol, released from nerveless fingers, the other.
As the echo of Wellington's pistol dies away, the only sounds that can be heard is the rapid breathing of our two heroic gentlemen, a pathetic whimper of pain from deeper in the room, no doubt from Roxborough's first shot, and the tearing of cloth from the room where Nellie had been left.
OOC:   Nellie's next followed by Roxborough. It seems the only thug still in play is currently attempting to burrow deeper in the debris at the far end of the room  
Meanwhile,
Klevendon, spurred on by the sound of gunfire from below, rushes into the reception area, to the disconcertion of the receptionist, and yells as loud as he can...

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:48 pm
by Tabs
"MURDER! THIEVES! Call the police at once!"

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:18 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Having made some make-shift bandages and seeing that the fight seems to be over Nellie rushes into the storeroom. "Are you in need of first-aid, Mr Wellington? she asks, looking about the wreckage of the room.

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:44 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough throws his stunned assailant to the side and charges at the wretched thug at the end of the room.

With a roar he launches himself at the burrowing figure
OOC:   The intention is to rugby tackle or throw myself upon on him and incapacitate him.

Brawl[4]+charge[2] [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:54 pm
by Priest
OOC:   As the sole remaining thug is making no effort to do anything other that burrow further into the shadows, I will give you the advantage here. Combat over normal activity continues  
With a roar which is a passable imitation of the cry of the charging black rhino. Roxborough, heedless of the scattered debris from the shelves, rushes at full pelt further into the room, the cringing thug his obvious target.
With a final roar, that of the giant Sumatran ape, he launches himself into the shadows. A horrendous crashing sound, peppered with high pitched screams, announces to the other occupant of the room that he has succeeded in his mission.

Our brave heroes stand triumphant amidst the destruction and carnage of the store room remnants. Apart from them the room contains the unconscious forms of two of the thugs, one demised at the far end of the room, and a tangled heap of legs and arms from which an occasional whimper of pain emerges.

The comatose form of the Store Department Manager can be seen partialy covered by debris at the far end of the room, beside a large hessian sack into which the thugs had been tipping the contents of several, now discarded, files.

Meanwhile above,
The receptionist, face showing alarm, half rises to peer at the distraught Klevendon, "Murder. Where?"

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:07 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough gets to his feet and drags the thug up by the scruff of his neck, marching him back to Wellington

Wellington keep an eye on this ruffian will you. I'm going to check on the vitality of the store man...oh! You're injured he glances quickly at the blood on Wellingtons shoulder, with a professional appraising eye hmm...doesn't look too serious old boy, just a nick by the looks of things. Keep your pistol trained on him eh? he turns and walks quickly towards the prone store manager, retrieving the thugs' discarded weapons as he does so.

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:02 pm
by Tabs
"In the basement--where you directed us to not ten minutes ago! Did you not hear the gunfire woman?"

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 pm
by Priest
"Ahh!" she mutters her face taking on a look that is a cross between disbelief and panic. Suddenly she swings into action, lifting the brass tube and blowing furiously down it, for a moment Klevendon half expects her to scream "Abandon ship!!!", but instead she shouts with a voice rising in volume. "Herbert!!! Fetch the nearest constable, and advise company security that criminal activity is afoot. And be quick!!!"

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:17 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Wellington accedes to watch guard over their would-be attackers. Taking a scrap of petticoat from Nellie to press on the wound trying to stop the bleeding.

Nellie Bly

After checking that Wellington isn't that badly hurt and is able to take charge of their 'prisoners' Nellie crosses over to the unmoving form of Hargreaves the store manager. "Is... is he ... she asks fearing the worse.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:40 pm
by Priest
As Nellie stoops to the form of the Store Manager, she notes that he still breathes despite a very bloody wound to his temple. For a moment his eyes flicker with life before clouding over with renewed unconsciousness. In that brief moment he whispers, just loud enough for Nellie to hear, "27".

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:56 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

"He's alive!" Nellie says, thoroughly relieved. She tends to the poor man's wound and makes him as comfortable as she can.

"He... he just muttered something... he muttered '27' then passed out... what could he mean? she turns to look at Roxburgh puzzlement writ on her face.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:16 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Nellie may try a peception roll of 8 if she likes  

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:32 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Nellie ponders on what the meaning of '27' could be...

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:53 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough quickly glances down the storeroom thinking to himself
Roxborough thinking:   Hmm...row 27?, shelf 27, box 27......generator 27...think man! Think!  
Can't say anything comes immediately to mind Nellie. How is he...will he live?

As he looks around his eyes alight upon the sack the thugs were stuffing, he moves over to it and examines the contents and the box the were they filling it from.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:46 pm
by Priest
Nellie's pondering pays off, and she has a 'eureka' moment. On the shelves fixed to the left hand wall she spies a large collection of ledgers on the spines of which numbers are emblazoned in gold lettering. Inside No 27 she finds a long list of transactions for various electical components. Each is recorded with the name of the item, to whom it was sent, and the address to which it had been dispatched as well as the order number.
It looks to be a long job to match the recorded order number found on the box to that recorded in a spidery, barely legible hand within the ledger.
OOC:   To search through the ledger takes two hours of diligent study. However skim reading takes one hour Investigation Roll TN2  

As Nellie begins the laborious task of matching box number to item number, life begins to return to the defeated thugs, although the sight of the grim faced detective with his blood soaked bandage and large barreled pistol keeps then suitably subdued.

Roxborough looks through the contents of the sack. It seems that the intentions of the thugs had been to steal the ledgers.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:33 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon rushes back downstairs (now the gunfire has stopped).

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:09 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough moves back to Wellington

Looks like they were after the ledgers. he turns to the last thug that he apprehended and gives him his fiercest gaze

Right you horrible little scrote - who put you up to this?

Speak now and things might go a little bit easier for you.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:38 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Papa G: I'm not sure 'scrote' was common parlance in the 1890s but I get the drift. Please roll 4d6 (plus any style points you wish to spend) to intimidate the thug TN 2+. 2 are charisma and 2 for size and ferocity  

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:25 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   You are no doubt correct - poor old Roxy doesn't really have a handle on the vernacular used by the lower classes :D

Intimidate 4 + 2 style: [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:58 pm
by Priest
The thug gulps nervously, starts to shake his head and then with a resigned grimace starts to blurt out,
“’Ere’s ‘ow it went down, mate. Me and me chums 'ere was having a quiet drink when this gent approaches us and drops a bundle of five quid notes on the table. ‘E tells us in his posh voice that ‘e wants books stolen from this 'ere company at the first chance. ‘E says the books is to be destroyed, and that ‘e’ll know if we don’t do as we’re told. Said ‘e would make us pay summit rotten if we crossed ‘im. 'E didn’t look much of a bruiser, but summit in ‘is eyes said ‘e was serious and not to be messed with."

He licks his lips nervously, sees the resolve in the big mans eyes and continues,
“I never seed the bloke before, and doubt I could recognize ‘im if he walked in here now—too busy gawping at the notes, we was. Now, what say I gives yer a few of the notes to let me go like, pretend I was never ‘ere?”

He favours you with a weak smile.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:20 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Nellie will go through the ledger  

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:28 pm
by Priest
OOC:   I presume she skim reads it? She needs TN2 investigation, which she has as an average.  

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:33 am
by Tabs
Klevendon returns to the basement in haste. "Oh Lor'!" he says, reverting to prep. school language in his agitation.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:09 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Yes, Nellie will skim through the ledger looking for the reference from the crate.  

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:35 pm
by Priest
After what seems an age, during which time the police arrive and cart off the three living but battered thugs and the corpse of the fourth; and Klevendon assisted by Wellington and Roxborough make tea despite a shortage of cups and saucers, Nellie perseveres with her task of attempting to match the order reference number on the box to one within the ledger.

With an excited cry of success, she holds the ledger aloft, "Professor Henry Nightingale of 27 Avenue Road, Primrose Hill."

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:49 pm
by Tabs
"Good show, Miss Bly!" says Klevendon.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:23 pm
by Priest
With our intrepid heroes in possession of an address in Primrose hill to the north of the river. The curtain closes on this act, leaving our investigators in deep discussion...
OOC:   Story continues here viewtopic.php?f=286&t=5286  

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:02 am
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

"Thank you Mr. Klevendon luckily it was just a matter of matching the serial number on the crate that Professor Hawthorne gave to us, the only real difficulty would have been knowing where to start and again the fates were kind to us and poor Mr. Hargreaves was able to tell us where to start."

OOC:   Time check please.  

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:12 am
by Priest
OOC:   5 oclockish