Page 1 of 1

Act VIII 'All aboard the skylark'

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:38 pm
by Priest
Act VIII: 'All aboard the skylark'

It takes about an hour to get up the necessary steam. But with the mooring ropes untied the barge soon begins its slow journey.As you travel you see bridges and historic buildings aplenty. As if unaware of you London roots, Gray, from his wheelhouse insists on pointing out sites like the Houses of Parliament, New Scotland Yard etc. He's boring but harmless.
Suddenly Gray points to a large steamer docked alongside the north bank, it proudly boast 'SS Pimlico'.

"There she is" he mutters as he steers the barge onto a mooring several yards upstream from the steamer.

Sat around the gangplank you can see four men playing cards.

Re: Act VIII 'All aboard the skylark'

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:39 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

"So, this is where you dropped the crate earlier? Did you see the crate being loaded onto that steamer?" Nellie enquires as she hands her enamelled mug back to Gray.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:31 pm
by Priest
Previously Nellie said:   "So, this is where you dropped the crate earlier? Did you see the crate being loaded onto that steamer?"  
Gray takes the mug and throws the dregs over the side of the barge to join the dark grey waters of the Thames. As he places the empty mug on a shelf in the wheelhouse he nods.
"Aye, and those four were the ones who took it aboard the steamer. Muttered something about it being stowed below decks as he had instructed"

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

"That's splendid! Nellie exclaims, smiling I am sure that Mr Wellington will reward you with the other half of his promised payment. Nellie moves over to the railing and studies the scene...
OOC:   What's the general layout like? Are they likely to be notices dis-embarking? Are then on the same side of the river?

Perception (8) [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 pm
by Priest
Looking about you note that Gray has moored the barge about two hundred yards further up river than the steamer, on the same side. The location bears all the signs of the Thames during the late 19th Century, mud, filth and the all pervading stink of the river. Much of the bank, especially where you are has been built up to support larger vessels arriving from other lands. Large warehouses and other dockside buildings form a backdrop, on your way up river you passed under the still ongoing construction of what will become Tower Bridge (as seen in the Sherlock Holmes film).

There is little sign of life on the dockside, other than the usual swarms of seagulls. The arrival of the barge has failed to elicit any response from the card players, who carry on regardless. There is enough cover on the dockside to render your disembarkation unnoticed and allow surreptitious approach.

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:35 pm
by Tabs
"Let's sneak up, have a look see, and maybe overhear something useful?" says Klevendon.

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 pm
by Papa Gateau

Sneaking up on things! My kind of fun! says Roxborough with a grin and glint in his eye.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:56 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Wellington hand over the promised reward to Gray "Thank you for rendering us the services of your vessel Mr Gray it would seem that the end of our investigation is in sight." he says with more animation in his face than normal, like Roxburgh he too hunts prey... the methods may be dissimilar but the detective knows their quarry is near to hand. Moving over to join the others at the rail he to takes in the scene.

"'Sneaking' may be in order.. he replies to Roxborough's comment "We shall need to gain access to that vessel and do so without alerting those that may be inside, for I am sure that those ruffians are not the 'master mind' behind this plot. he indicates the small knot of men at the foot of the gang-plank.

Wellington grips the rail and studies the SS Pimlico in more detail "Roxborough you have sharp eyes... can you see any cables running onto the ship? Nightingale's device utilises electricity does it not?

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:03 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

"Perhaps some kind of diversion rather than direct confrontation would enable us to lure those men away ...." Nellie ponders out-loud.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Perception [dice]0[/dice]  
Roxborough looks across to the other vessel I don't see anything obvious - let me get my binoculars out

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:16 pm
by Priest
With the aid of his binoculars, Roxborough can see a long black cable running from the nearest warehouse to the ship. It appears to run alongside the gangplank and disapear somwhere aboard the boat. He points it out to Wellington.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:38 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Wellington hands back the binoculars after taking a look for himself. "Thank you, my dear fellow." he says, his mind already working on a plan...."What weapons dis you happen to bring old boy?" he asks.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:48 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Alack and alas, I seem to have misplaced the calibre of Roxborough's rather large hunting rifle which he is of course carryng in its case.  

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:28 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   From memory it was a .70 ish? Huge calibre - I was trying to see if we had an more handguns available.

Just checked - it was a .75!  

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:38 pm
by Papa Gateau

I have Bertha here Roxborough taps his gun case affectionately What deviousness are planning dear boy? he asks conspiratorially.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:09 pm
by Tabs
"If Mr. Roxborough is to climb the cable, he surely cannot take that monstrosity with him," says Klevendon, whilst looking at "Bertha." He adds: "That is the plan, I take it?"

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

"Climbing the cable was not my intention, dear fellow." Wellington says "I deduce that the cable is supplying the current that enables Nightingale's portal to operate, logic would dictate that if we sever that cable then the threat of any more reptilian monstrosities being drawn forth would vanish."

Wellington stops and turns looking at each of his companions in turn, "You realise, of course, that the very fact that the machine has been connected to a power source means that the mastermind behind this plot does intend to utilise the portal, we have to act swiftly to avoid disaster!" He smiles thinly, the endgame has started and Wellington relishes solving this 'mystery'... 'one in the eye' for his more famous 'rival', Holmes. "We need to render that machine inert and take the villain that has been orchestrating this plot to justice." he grips the hand-rail so tight that his knuckles turn white, eyes wide with an intense gleam.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:36 pm
by Tabs
"Climbing the cable was not my intention, dear fellow." Wellington says
"Oh," replies Klevendon quietly and with a faint colouring of the cheeks.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:55 pm
by Papa Gateau

Roxborough eyes the distance between the two vessels, his eyes flicker to the flag at it's stern as he gauges the wind strength and direction and then finally he checks the chop and swell of the tidal river.

A slight furrow creases his brow as he ponders the shot It's by no means an easy shot Wellington but I've made harder than this before. You can rely on Peter Roxborough and his trusty Bertha.

Yes, definitely - we can take that cable out!
he smiles confidently.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:23 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Papa G You will need 5 successes to make this shot. You may of course add Style points to your skill of 8  

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:40 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Ok - Roxy has Accuracy (reduces targets defence by 2 for called shots) and Long Shot (doubles weapon's range) - will these affect the no. of successes or have you already taken them into account? I assume this is effectively an aimed called shot?  
Shall I take the shot now? It will rather announce our presence and lose us any element of surprise, Bertha's not very subtle! Or do you want to sneak towards the ship and I'll take the shot on your signal?

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:25 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I was going to propose... requisitioning a handcart, two people hidden on the cart armed with revolvers - push cart along wharf - surprise and subdue the lookouts - hopefully without warning anyone on board - then cutting the cable...

If Roxy shoots now then we'll alert the lookouts and have to fight out way past them.

Perhaps Roxy can work his way to a better position (on land) whilst the other three try to sneak closer.

??  

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:51 pm
by Papa Gateau

I have a good line-of-sight of the cable from here but I'm sure we can find another vantage point from the shore.

Perhaps you could pretend to be from the harbour master's office or the port authority - need to check the cargo hold with the captain?

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:09 pm
by Tabs
"I'd be up for that, Mr. Roxborough," says Klevendon.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:10 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

"I think it would be better if we did not split up at this point and if possible we ought not to resort to discharging weapons, the authorities would be here swiftly and that wouldn't bode too well for us in the short term. Mr. Wellington is right, we should try to sever the cable but we will also need to subdue those men guarding the gang-plank. If we can get close enough, without arousing their suspicions then we should be able to 'get the drop' on them...."
OOC:   Nellie proposes - getting ashore and collecting some rope (to tie the guards up) and seeing how close it would be possible to get but using the 'natural' cover available.  

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:22 am
by Tabs
"I can play 'The Bumbling Fool' rather well," says Klevendon without a trace of irony, "shall I approach the guards with a cock and bull story?"

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:49 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

"Goodness! I do not think we should be in a hurry to accost those ruffians Mr Klevendon there's no sign of any activity... would the best course of action be to send for the relevant authorities?" she asks,taken aback at the thought of getting into another violent encounter.

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:41 pm
by carnage_lee
Wellington

"Hmm... Yes, usually I would advocate calling in the authorities, however time is of the essence! We must anticipate that the portal will be activated at any moment, the fact that it looks like it is connected to the electricity supply all but ensures that it will be activated. If we dally for much longer we may lose any initiative we have.." Wellington studies the scene, different scenarios playing in his mind.

"We should try to avoid a confrontation.... whist I am certain that we would prevail against such low thuggish types we see keeping look-out at the foot of the gang-plank, we have to consider that any discharges of firearms will alert more people... and, my dear fellow... I am sure we shall not need to draw on your acting prowess." he adds, clapping Klevendon on the shoulder. "Let us make our way ashore and see how near we can get before creating some kind of diversion, we should then be able to neuter their threat..." Wellington looks to Roxborough seeing if the seasoned hunter agrees with the plan.

OOC:   We should be able to get close(ish) and be able to cause a distraction ... falling crates... that kind of thing...  

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:35 pm
by Papa Gateau

Well, yes, we could try and get closer and avoid confrontation for as long as possible.

All I need is line of sight to the cable and I can disable the power with Bertha, though I could probably take it out with a ricochet off the ships hull if we need to
his eyes glaze somewhat at the thought of such a heroic shot.

Anyway, yes, let's get as close as we can before alerting them. But I fear we must hurry, as dearWellington has already said, they have power to the device and they could employ it imminently!
Roxborough thinking:   Though it would be good to learn how the confounded contraption works. A quick trip back in time! Think! Ah the delights I could bring back to the club! We must ensure the machine doesn't get damaged in this all excitement!  

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:37 pm
by Tabs
acting prowess."
"Thank you, sir," says Kevendon. " 'Closer,' yes let's," he squints ahead along the dockside like the expert he isn't, looking for available cover.

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:23 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Between you and the steamship the docks are filled with various piles and stacks of items. so you feel that there is ample cover for you to sneak closer without being seen. Please make Stealth rolls if you have them. If not you are using base dexterity. Remember that you have Style Points available (I've lost track so be reasonable), and you will also gain modifiers from the cover. Remember the more successes the better :D. And yes Wellington, if you can creep close enough a distraction may work.  

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:45 pm
by Papa Gateau

Roxborough disembarks and using his hunting experience identifies a route that would provide the best cover for approaching the ship unseen. He indicates this route to the others and then heads off, with Bertha in hand.
Sneaky sneaky,Here's a Tracking roll to identify the best route - hopefully this will give us some positive modifiers ;) Tracking[6]: [dice]0[/dice] and here's my Stealth with an extra 3 style points Stealth[5+3]: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:31 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly
Stealth (4+2style pts),[dice]0[/dice]

Horatio Wellington
Stealth (5+2style pts),[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:54 am
by Tabs
"I'm useless at sneaking about," says Klevendon sadly; "I'd hate to let you all down. I'll stay put for the time being."

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:45 pm
by Priest
Like shadows and as quietly as cats on the hunt, the intrepid threesome creep towards the unsuspecting card players. Until they are within feet of the still unsuspecting group.
"Oi Jacob where did you get that ace? Is you cheatin' I 'ates cheaters"
"Sod off. Just 'cause yer losin'. Pay up I 'ates welchers"

OOC:   Everyone seems to have 2 successes at stealth.
Card players perception 2 = 6, 1 so 1 success http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4754443/  

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The Detective picks his way along the dockside, weaving in and out of the shadows and cover made by assorted stacks of crates and barrels making every effort not to alert the 'lookouts' at the foot of the gang-plank leading up to the freighter. They manage not to alert the quartet, due in no small part to the men being engrossed in their game of cards. After what seems like an age, they arrive at the last spot of cover a stack of packing cases. Pausing to make sure that the card game still in progress Wellingon mimes the act of pushing the crates over and then jumping out.. guns at the ready.

Wellington looks to the others, looking for confirmation of the hasty plan.

OOC:   Do we have a small revolver we can equip Nellie with?  

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:28 pm
by Papa Gateau

Roxborough nods in agreement. He pulls back his jacket to reveal his holstered revolver, a large calibre beast of gun. He takes it out and offers it, butt first, to whoever wishes to take it.

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:11 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Nellie looks at the proffered revolver... seeing that Wellington has also drawn his revolver she gingerly takes hold of the pistol. Feeling the weight she grimaces and makes a two handed grip, trying to remember what the nice handsome chap 'Baden-Powell' had said about shooting...

As ready as she is likely to be, Nellie nods indicating her readiness...

Wellington counts up on his fingers..... one.... two..... three....

The Investigators heave and push the barrels....

OOC:   I had this kind of layout in my head...

Code: Select all

--------------------------
               #
    O[]   x    #
   O [] x = x  #
    O[]   x

Key
O intredpid investigator
x card playing thug
== whatever they are playing card on
[] crate/barrel
# gangplank

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:23 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon inspects the cable, following it along its length to discover where or what it is connected to.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:17 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Roxborough, Wellington and Nellie initiatives please.
Thugs Initiative 3 dice, (3) (2) (2) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4763835/ so initiative 2
As you have surprise, the thugs do not act this round however for reflex purposes they have an initiative of 2.
And Lee's layout is perfect so we will use that.  
With a crash the barrels are pushed aside. "Bludy 'ell wots goin' on?"

As the intrepid threesome creep stealthily along the dock towards the unsuspecting card players, Klevendon heads towards the shadow of a nearby wharehouse, where it seems the cable leads.
A large gap between the sliding doors of the building show that the cable is connected to some kind of large machine which in turn seems connected by various cables to several electricity sockets in the far wall.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:07 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   I'm assuming we were aiming to push the barrels/crates onto the thugs

Initiative[6]: [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:33 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon inspects the machine, looking for an on/off switch. Can he guess what the machine is?

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Nellie initiative 5
[dice]0[/dice]

Horatio initiative 7
[dice]1[/dice]

Yes, push them onto the thugs and follow up pistols at the ready ....  

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:52 am
by Priest
OOC:   Initiative order.
Wellington - 4
Roxborough - 3
Nellie - 3
Thugs - 2
Obviously you have suprise the first round as you push the barrels onto the card players, so I will give them some damage.  
With a roar the three of you together send the heavy barrels crahing onto the unaware card players. For a few moments there is pandemonium as the card players scream with pain and suprise. To add insult to injury one of the barrels had been half filled with cheap molasses and the sticky black contents spill over the players as well.

Cover now gone, the shocked card players, well two of them that are still aware, are confronted by three gun waving persons...
OOC:   Wellington is up first, you have an advantage sir.  
Meanwhile Klevendon carefully squeezes his way into the wharehouse. The machine he is confronted by looks like some kind of regulating device connected to the mains electricity, it looks as though it either reduces or boosts the power. There are several swithches above a large needle that is indicating the contents of the machine, it flickers somewhere between 'E' and 'F'.
One of the switches has a small indicator bulb that is currently showing green, besides this is another with a red bulb that seems flat. The strange machine makes a strange humming sound, a sound that is abruptly overshadowed by a horrendous crashing sound from somewhere further up the docks...

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:49 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Pistol levelled at the closest thug Wellington cocks the hammer back, the flat metallic clicks as the cylinder turns sound cuts across the protestations of the men as they flounder about, mouths agape. "Hands in the air..." Wellington says coldly, eyes flat and menacing.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:45 am
by Priest
The suddeness and manner of your arrival combined with the sight of a rather large pistol, cocked and ready, as well as being flanked by two other pistol armed companions, one of whom is rather large, Has a demoralising effect on the two conscious thugs. At the icy command they immediately throw their hands skyward, You can see that one's coat sleeve has slipped down sligtly revealing a device for holding cards.
"Ddddont shoot Mister we gives up"
His companion nods vigorously in agreement, but scowls as he sees what has been revealed on his associates wrist, "Cheater" he growls.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:26 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

"A wise choice..." Wellington says with a wry smile, Lord Roxborough will you do the honours and relieve these gentlemen of any weapons that they might happen to have about their person?" he asks, covering the two men with his pistol.

"Miss Bly, would you find out where Mr Klevendon has got to, whilst we secure our prisoners?"

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:31 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

"Yes, of course... "

Leaving the two men to secure the men that were guarding the gang-plank Nellie moves back along the dock-side, trying to see where Klevendon has gone.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:03 pm
by Papa Gateau

Right gentleman, let's be sensible about this shall we? This pistol in my hand and I go back a long ways - I dropped a charging rhino with it at 5 paces, I'm sure you can appreciate what it might do to you from this range.

If you have any weapons about your persons, slowly take them out by your thumb and forefinger and throw them over toward the river. When you have done so, kneel down and keep your arms pointing to the sky.

Any of you so much as twitch and I shall have your heads mounted and displayed in my withdrawing room.
he glares at the card cheat and as for you, I hold cheats in the lowest of regard, I may just shoot you to rid the world of you.

He slowly walks behind the men so that they can longer see his face and grins and winks at Nellie and Wellington

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:09 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon flicks the switch with the green light.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:48 am
by Priest
Tabs wrote:Klevendon flicks the switch with the green light.
And slowly the green light fades and is replaced by a brightening of the red one. However the humming sound continues.
The two villains whitefaced their eyes rolling fearfully in reply to Roxborough's threat, produce and throw one long bladed knife, of the sort much favoured by seamen and fishermen, and a leather cased 'sap', which hits the ground with an audible thump, towards the dockside. Kneeling with shaking hands reaching skyward once more,
"That's it mister"
Something in the timbre of the voice leads you to believe that you are hearing the truth
Nellie, still carrying the pistol, makes her way back to where they had parted company with Klevendon. For a moment she glances around wondering where he had gone, then he gaze notes the slightly open door of the wharehouse...

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:06 pm
by Tabs
"Hmmmm," thinks Klevendon. He wanders over to the socket to pull the plug.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:47 am
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Nellie looks around, seeing no sign of Klevendon on the dock she heads towards the warehouse with the open doorway. She stops before entering.. "Mr. Klevendon.... Arthur... are you in here?" she calls out.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:55 am
by Priest
Tabs wrote:"Hmmmm," thinks Klevendon. He wanders over to the socket to pull the plug.
Even with the plug pulled from the socket the machine continues its low hum, which tells you the the device has some purpose independent of mains electricity. The closest thing you can place it to is one of the new fangled batteries that are starting to appear. However if this machine is indeed some form of battery storage device, it is on a scale far beyond anthing you've imagined.
As you stand disconnected plug in hand deep in thought you hear a familiar voice from without,
Previously Nellie said:   "Mr. Klevendon.... Arthur... are you in here?"  

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:06 am
by Tabs
"Over here, my dear," calls Klevendon, looking puzzled, the cable and plug hanging limply from his hand.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:09 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Hearing the sincere note in the thugs voice Wellington frowns and fixes the man that spoke with his most intimidating and disdainful stare.. "I do hope for your sake that you have not held anything back.. my friend here doesn't like people that are not truthful .. now hold still.. he looks on as Roxburgh finishes off restraining the men.

"Right... tell us who is on the ship..."

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:13 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Hearing Klevendon speak out Nellie moves into the ware house, "The coast in clear... Wellington and Roxborough have those men in hand.. ohh..." Nellie tails off seeing the machinery that Klevendon has been interfering with "... what's that..." she asks.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:20 pm
by Papa Gateau

Roxborough expertly ties the thugs' hands behind their backs and then moves onto their unconscious fellows - patting them down and removing any weapons before binding their hands too.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:32 pm
by Priest
Previously Wellington said:   "Right... tell us who is on the ship..."  
"Nah I don' think we will" says one of the now securely tied thugs in a show of mistimed courage.

The other eyes the rather large Roxborough who is bent searching the unconsious figures for weapons, "Now lets not be 'asty" he takes a nervous gulp, "There just the boss dahn belows"
He ignores the dagger like stares of his compatriot,"In the 'old wiv the machine"

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:16 pm
by Papa Gateau

Seems like you are the brains of this motley crew Roxborough smiles at the man who spoke and just who would the boss be? he continues to work on the unconscious men, ripping strips of cloth from their shirts and stuffing them into their mouths as gags.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:06 pm
by Tabs
"A generator--I think," answers Klevendon."Dashed if I know why it's still humming. I was hoping, Miss Bly, to put a stop to the time machine. I s'pose one could yank on the cable from the 'generator' to the ship?

"The 'coast is clear,' you say?"

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:36 pm
by Priest
Previously Roxborough said:   and just who would the boss be?  
The talkative fellow, ignoring his associates darkening stares, shrugs his shoulders, "Dan't now his name, just call him Boss. But he talks like a proper gennelman he does, a proper toff. like wot you does"

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:20 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Nellie looks around the dingy warehouse, her nose wrinkling in disgust at the dark, dank and downright dusty conditions.

"So it's not disabled then... hmm... ohh yes those men... we crept up on them and pushed a stack of barrels over onto them; then we burst out from our hiding place and confronted them, I think two men were knocked out by the barrels and I dare say the sight of Peter brandishing his weapon took the fight right out of them. Wellington looked so fierce too!" Nellie brandishes her pistol* towards the wall, by way of a re-enactment.

Nellie looks at the machinery again "I don't think we should try anything else, electricity is very dangerous - despite what Messers Westinghouse and Edison** would have you believe ... why I read the other month that the Governor of New York State had commissioned an electric chair as a means to execute murderers.. they are calling it electrocution!" she shudders... "Let us head back and rejoin the others."

OOC:   *Hammer down, on the pistol
**The War of Currents may have been a few years before this setting... but it adds colour.  

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 pm
by Tabs
" 'Peter' is it, hmmm?" says Klevendon under his breath. "Well, I wish to avoid electrocution! Yes, let's return."

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:04 pm
by Priest
By the time Klevendon and Nellie make there way to the sight of the altercation, Roxborough, watched by the critical eye of the detctive, has finished securing the thugs adding gags to complete his work.

Following Klevendon's indication it is seen that the thick rubberised cable extends from the nearby wharehouse into the ship through a small porthole to the bows of the vessel, probably the forward hold as Wellington, who seems to know about these things, points out.

As the four of you begin a slow carefull ascent of the gangplank you hear the ominous sound of electricity crackling and humming from within the boat. Underlying this sound is a deeper, constant hum, that of something turning.

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:13 pm
by Papa Gateau

Klevendon dear fellow, no luck disconnecting the machine from its power? he pauses, listening to the deep hum and the sharp crackle of electricity

Entering the lair of unknown quarry has its risks, I'd certainly feel more comfortable if we can cut the power to this contraption. Perhaps we can manoeuvre the ship into the river, put enough strain on the cable that it snaps or disconnects itself. I can still shoot it, of course, but I still feel that we have the element of surprise and a gunshot would announce our presence somewhat. he looks inquisitively at the others.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:48 am
by Tabs
"No dice, Mr. Roxborough," replies Klevendon,"seems like there is a generator thing which cannot be turned off. Your idea of snapping the cable is a good one . . . but who is to pilot the boat?" He thinks aloud: "Though any unexpected movement would also alert whoever it is down in the hold. Perhaps we should investigate first?"

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:59 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

"We should surely lose the initiative by whichever means we utilised to interrupt the power and if we were to move the ship into the Thames then that would immediately alert whoever was on board... this so called 'Boss and whomever he has with him. If we were to lose control of this ship then it could cause untold damage and disruption to the shipping of London." With that, Wellington starts up the gangplank, his pistol drawn and eyes scanning the decks, alert to any dangers...

"If I recall correctly... in this class of vessel the forward hold can be accessed by a corridor on either side two decks down ... "

Nellie Bly

"Or we could just follow the cable.... ? she suggests helpfully.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 am
by Papa Gateau

Right then says Roxborough Let's get to it then - we have chased the quarry to it's lair, let's see what await's us! he follows Wellington up the gang plank Nelly please stay behind me and Klevendon if you could bring up the rear and ensure we don't have any nasty surprises coming at from us behind.

Lead on Horatio!, Lead on!
he slides the safety off Bertha...

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:42 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon brings up the rear.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:41 pm
by Priest
Steadilly and displaying copious amounts of stealth, despite the odd upset, a bucket being knocked; a door being closed too firmly etc, You begin to make your way through the ship. Heading downward towards the hold all the time.

As your destination grows nearer, so the hum and whine of machinery grows louder, until it seems just one door stands between you and your quarry.

Slowly and with the utmost care Wellington eases the heavy door open to reveal the interior of the rather spacious hold. Before you amidst a glory of cables and orange flashes of electricity, stands the device desribed by Nightingale. The humming noises seem to be coming from the huge steel casing and the whine seems to be sourced by two large spinning hoops that rotate in a manner that Klevendon assures you is gyroscopical. To one side, linked by several rubber cables something that reminds you of a ladies dressing table mirror, though of much larger size and glazed with some opaque smoke coloured glass, is turned to face the length of the room.

As you gaze, in wonder, at the strange device a figure steps between you and the 'mirror'. With a slight incline of the head, he reaches towards the glass of the mirror, taps it, before speaking,

“I thought perhaps I might have visitors, but I had figured on the great Sherlock Holmes being the one to confront me instead of you obvious nobodies. After all, one does not rob ten jewelry stores and not attract attention? Never mind, then. Whoever you are, you shall be witness to my genius. Actually I suppose I should thank Professor Nightingale, but the man lacked vision" he turns looks at you for a moment, then bows gallantly, "Madame or Miss, please excuse my manners, I had not thought to find a woman amongst my stalwart foes" He laughs a gentle but icy cold laugh."

“Allow me to introduce myself... I am Sir Alistair Stuart Rochester." again he bows politely before indicating the device once more, "Admittedly, when I first heard Nightingale speak I thought that use of this machine might allow me access to the antiquities of the past, and gain me wealth undreamed of. Do you have any idea what collectors would pay for a pristine Greek urn or Roman bust? I could take the Mona Lisa straight from da Vinci and sell it for a fortune. But it would be only a small fortune..".

"Soon I realized that perhaps there was something to be gained here besides modest sums? For istance what would the citizens of London pay to stop dinosaurs rampaging through their streets? Yes, that’s right, dinosaurs! I may not be as proficient a designer as Nightingale, but I’ve fixed his machine’s little flaw, allowing me to direct where the portal will open. One pull of this lever and a door will open to allow dinosaurs to appear somewhere in London... and that door will stay open. The army might stop one, but can they stop ten... a hundred... a thousand?"

"So, in this lever"
he indicates a solid looking lever to the side of the 'mirror' "I hold the power of life and death over London. Unless London pays me a million pounds, its streets shall run red with blood! And today it's London... tomorrow a nation... and then the entire world! ”

Before any of you react he pulls the lever. The machines hum deepens, the gyroscopes turn faster becoming almost a blur, as the discharge in electrical sparks increase. Instantly brilliant blue-white arcs of lightning crackle across the face of the 'mirror'. In the centre the energy collides, merges, and begins to flow like water, transforming the opaque surface into a clear shining window like opening, an opening through which you can see tall ferns and strange trees waving in a wind, a wind which you can feel.

Rochester laughs maniacally as a high-pitched whine bursts from the machine. “Full power!” he screams over the din. “They are co…”

His victory shout is cut short. A shadow suddenly crosses the portal and with a scream filled with pain and terror, Rochester is scooped from the ground. All that remains of him are his feet, protruding from the mouth of a monstrous dinosaur. The jaws grind, and one of the legs drops to deck with a thud and a squelch. With a loud roar the beast emerges fully from the time portal and charges!
OOC:   Emerging from the portal is probably the most viscious killer of the Dinosaur age - the T-Rex. It's angry...
Please roll Initiatives  

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:12 pm
by Papa Gateau

Roxborough quickly brings Bertha's stock to his shoulder and takes aim at the cavernous maw of the giant, terrible lizard.
Roxborough thinking:   Steady my boy, a nice clean shot to fell the brute. Let's not damage the carcass - T-Rex T-bones, oh my the club will [i]love[/i] this. And dear [b]Nellie[/b] we must keep dear, lovely [b]Nellie[/b] out of danger  

OOC:   Initiative 6 + 2 style = [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:16 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington: Initiative 7,[dice]0[/dice]
Nellie Bly: Initiative 5,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:12 am
by Tabs
"The movement is gyroscopical," whispers Klevendon.

When Rochester is devoured he gasps, "Good gracious!"
OOC:   Initiative[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:08 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Initiatives - Wellington (5), Roxborough (5), Klevendon (3), T Rex (2 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4778783/), Nellie (0).
So first up Wellington.  

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Wellington mentally curses himself for not acting as soon as they made it to the hold, Rochester had obviously been stalling for time and in his last act the madman may have very well sealed their fates. Taking in the terrible scene as the monstrous scaled head plucks their adversary and within a heartbeat those terrible teeth make short work of chomping down on Rochester body, his screams cut short and a severed leg drops to the floor.

Wellington levels his pistol and aims at the beast... wondering if the bullets would have any effect...
OOC:   Wellington takes aim and fires: (8L)
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:43 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Papa G

Roxy's elephant gun has an attack of 12L (L = lethal wound), so you'd roll 12d6 or take the average (6)  

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   I think I have this correct - please confirm before I roll dice.

My base is 12L but I have a talent of Accuracy that reduces the opponents defence by 2 for a called shot.

I can boost this by spending style points - each boost (cost 2SP) reduces defence by another 2.

And I can also buy extra dice with Style points.

This is what I want to do -

Called shot with Accuracy talent = -2 defence for T-Rex
Boost x 2 (4sp) = -4 defence for T-Rex
Buy extra dice x8 (8sp)

Total cost - 12 sp
T-Rex has -6 defence
I roll 20L  

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:37 pm
by Priest
Wellington fires at the huge creature which has just eaten the villanous Rochester. The heavy calibre pistol bullet hits it fair and square in the head, it obviously causes some damage as the creature opens its tooth filled maw and roars in a manner unheard in the modern world.
It shakes its huge head in manner that a bear might when stung by an angry bee, and fixes the detective with a balefull stare.
OOC:   Wellington's shot scored 6 successes and the T-Rex managed a defence of 2 successes, So first blood to the detective.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4780714/

PapaG in answer to your question; you are correct so roll away. 20d6 even numbers a success.  

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:10 pm
by Papa Gateau

Roxborough slowly exhales whilst taking a bead on the monstrous maw of the dinosaur, gently he squeezes the trigger. He subconsciously notices the report from Wellington's pistol as a fraction of a second later Bertha kicks into his shoulder with the recoil like an old lover's embrace.
OOC:   Heroic Shot? [dice]20d6[/dice]

Ok - forum dice code not showing me a roll - so here's invisible castle http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4780748/

which is 13 successes  

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:00 am
by Tabs
OOC:   I like the description when Bertha recoils!  
Klevendon doesn't know what to do, "Oh, the horror, the horror!" he thinks. He grabs hold of Nellie--for his support (not hers)--and desperately looks for a weapon--iron bar, axe, or some such thing.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:54 pm
by Priest
The two gunshots are almost in unison, although the somewhat lighter report of Wellington's pistol, despite being masqued by the rolling boom of Roxborough's mighty weapon, announces a hit mere moments before the huge calibre bullet of the rifle smacks home.

For a moment through the dense black smoke of the rifle shot, the creature seems to take little notice of the bullets impact. But as the deafening echo of the rifle drifts away it is replaced by an enormous roar from the open jaws of the beast, from which drips blood evidencing the last moments of Rochester.

There is little doubt that both shots struck home, as can be seen from the sudenly stunned expression that spreads over the monsters face. For a few moments it sways as though about to collapse, but then with a roar it slowly brings its black eyes to bear on the cause of its pain....
OOC:   Both shots hit, Wellington for 4 damage, Roxborough for 10 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4781376/. It looks hurt, but never having seen one of these creatures before you have no way of knowing how badly.

Next up is Nellie as Klevendon has taken his action.  

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:22 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Nellie shrieks, her nerve finally failing at the sudden appearance of the monstrous dinosaur, feeling Klevendon grasp her arm from behind she steps back, trying to get away from the dreadful beast.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:02 pm
by Priest
As Nellies voise rises in a shrill feminine scream of a distressed damsel, almost drowned by the twin reports of the guns, with Wellington's pistol shot engulfed by the massive roar of Roxborough's mighty weapon, the enormous creature, its open tooth lined maw still dripping with the blood of the villanous Rochester, stops moving.
For several moment its vicious looking yellow eyes seem to fix the smoke wreathed heroes with a look of bestial hatred. With a huge roar so loud that the decks of the ship vibrate, it screams hate at the tiny creatures that have caused it pain.
Then with an almost slow motion grace it falls forward dead. A small wound attests to the impact of Wellington's bullet while an enormous, savage, crater of blood almost directly between those now lifeless eyes could only have been caused by the heavy calibre of the famed hunters rifle.

As the final booming report of Roxborough's rifle fades. You note, with alarm, that the humming of the machine is growing louder and the frequency of the white-blue arcs of flickering lightning are increasing substantially...
OOC:   I made a mistake with calculating the accumalated damage from the weapons. This post is now amended.  

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:26 pm
by Papa Gateau

It's ok Nellie, we have done for the ancient beast! roars Roxborough over the hum of the machine, though it is unclear whether he means himself and Bertha or himself and Wellington Now we must shut off this infernal contraption! Stand clear everyone, I'm going to shoot the cable! with the practiced ease of a man whose tool is an extension of his arm he chambers another round into Bertha and swings his aim to the large rubber encased cable joining the gyroscopic generator to the mirror like portal.
OOC:   Again I will use my Accuracy talent and I will spend my last 2 style points for bonus dice.

Rifle[8+2] [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:48 pm
by Priest
With a roar, Roxborough's 'Bertha' sends another bullet flying towards the slim rubber cable. Again his accuracy is legendary, surely his title as one of the Empires finest shots is being amply displayed, the cable is torn apart by the impact.
However despit now being 'unplugged' from any power source the machine itself continues to whine and spark. The hum rising in pitch in the manner of a steam kettle about to explode...

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:46 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The Detective jumps a little at the report from 'Bertha'; even his nerves are a little frayed with the sudden appearance of the deadly dinosaur, if it wasn't for the expert marksmanship of Roxborough they would be having to deal with an extremely dangerous creature that was more than capable of killing a person with one bite, as they had already witnessed.

Sparks jump from the severed ends of the cable as Roxburgh's well placed shot hits home, the noise from the machinery growing more frenzied in pitch.

"I fear that the machine is out of control, I deduce that it will will either 'run down' without the electricity to power it..." with that the torturous whine increases in pitch and with a loud pop a shower of actinic sparks bursts from the wildly spinning gyroscope. "Or, more probably fail in a spectacular manner in mere seconds!"

"We should make haste to dis-embark, an explosion on board could be extremely serious indeed." Wellington motions everyone to go back through the hatch.

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:17 pm
by Papa Gateau

Indeed Horatio I fear you are correct, we should abandon ship with all due haste! he moves over to Nellie takes her by the arm and leads her firmly but not forcibly towards the door Come now, let's get you off this ship as quick as you can - just follow the cable back to the deck, hurry now! he glances back to ensure that Klevendon is following.

Despite the cacophony and urgent sense of impending doom, Roxborough seems to be a man in his element, totally in command of his emotions and acting with a surety and swiftness despite the chaos.

He dashes over to Wellington and thrusts Bertha at the detective Here, take Bertha would you, there's something I need to do here first. I'll follow you up shortly! his eyes drift to the prone T-Rex as he unconsciously licks his lips, his hand falling to the large hunter's knife sheathed at his belt.

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:51 pm
by Priest
As Wellington, realising the threat of the situation, hastens Nellie, Klevendon and himself out of the hold, so recently a scene of anadulterated horror. Roxborough, drawing a long bladed knife from his belt, hastens towards the dead creature that hangs partialy clear of the device. Ignoring the obvious danger of an overloading machine.

Minutes later, three forms wait breathing heavilly some distance from the steam ship watching as flickering white-blue lightning flashes engulf the forward section of the ship. Their heads ache from the ever increasing high pitched whine that comes from within.
As they watch and wait in fascinated curiosity a familiar form rushes across the ships deck, down the gang-plank and over to where they stand.

Roxborough, an enormous slab of blood dripping flesh gripped tightly in an equally blood dripping hand grins, as behind him the steam ship flickers and whines as it, along with the curious device, disapears without trace.
OOC:   Gentlemen this tale is done, I leave you to have the closing words. For those interested further adventure continues in 'Dreaming Spires'. Where those who wish may continue their characters or make new ones.  

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:37 am
by Tabs
"Well done, sir, I say well done!" says Klevendon to Roxborough, he beams at Wellington and Nellie as well. "A celebratory dinner is on me; perhaps steak will be on the menu?"

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:23 pm
by Papa Gateau

Roxborough grins a wide and warm grin. He takes some waxed paper from his bag, wraps the large chunk of meat in it and returns the package to the bag. He wipes the blood from his hands and with an inquiring nod takes Bertha from Wellington

He turns to face his colleagues

Well my friends, it seems we have saved London and perhaps the world from an attack of prehistoric lizards set upon them by a man both crazed and delusional. To us all I say I huzzah and congratulations!

Klevendon dear boy...no, no we are all friends now, Arthur if I may? You have proved invaluable to our cause, providing insight and understanding, asking for caution where necessary and bravery when required. Bravo Sir!

Horatio you are without doubt one of the finest inquisitive and analytical minds to grace the empire! I do believe that you will be held in the same regard and awe as Mr. Holmes. You see clues and their answers where we see only objects and shadows. To you sir, I salute.

Miss Bly, Nellie it has been a joy and pleasure to make your acquaintance, you truly are a fine example of a modern lady - quick witted, confident, intelligent and truly a seeker of the truth - you brook no fools and have no truck with deceit. I am truly honoured, as I think we are all, to have you part of this grand adventure
his cheeks colour slightly in mild embarrassment, he gives a little cough before continuing

Arthur, I think you are correct! A celebratory meal is in order! Please join me at my club tonight - there will be a rather special dish being served and I will ensure the finest of wines! We should recount our adventures. Nellie can retell our tale in print and make her name as the finest purveyor of truth in our age, Horatio will be acknowledged as the foremost detective of our time, Arthur an example to all that bravery resides in all men and myself, well a footnote as perhaps the greatest hunter of the globe! he winks and booms out a great laugh.

He steps towards Nellie and offers her his arm Nellie would you join me and our fellows in the search of a carriage! it is time to celebrate