Page 1 of 1

Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:12 pm
by Priest
Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Carstairs and Carstairs Expeditionary Outfiters is a rather small and unasuming concern off Piedmont Street, by off it can be found in a rather dingy alley just off the main thorougfare. Apart from a rather impressive, if garish, sign above its unimpressive entrance it hardly reaches the expectations invoked by Roxborough's earlier description.

Opening the door into a rather small room filled with boxes and barrels of all shapes and sixes, is accompanied by the rich tinkling of the overhanging bell. Which in turn is followed by a rather gruff Scottish voice,
"Aye and how can we be helping ye?"
OOC:   Please consider what items you might require in your hunt for the creature. Let me know what you would like, and I will tell you if its available. Sensible sugestions please  

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:58 pm
by Tabs
"Um--waders, yes, waders and a water proof coat?" asks Klevendon.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:38 pm
by Priest
Previously Klevendon said:   "Um--waders, yes, waders and a water proof coat?".  
In response to your query, a rather tall, rangy figure with a large ginger beard steps out from behind the counter, rumages around in a pile of boxes and produces several pairs of rubberised wading boots of the type much favoured by anglers, and a sellection of waterproof coats of various colours.
"Yer size laddie? Although I dinnae think we will have much bother fitting such a fine figure of a gentleman as yersen".

Hands firmly planted on hips, legs astride in as an explorerly a manner as can be expected, the shopkeeper eyes the group of you in an expert manner.
"Angus Birtwhistle McTavish, how may we be assisting ye today?"

For a moment or two he eyes Nellie, whistles softly, and raising his left hand scratches at the thick gingery growth.
"If it be clothing suitable for an expedition to the ice or to the desert sands, Carstairs and Carstairs has, or can get, everything. For ye fine gentlemen this is nae a problem, however suitable ladies atire may take a while"

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:33 am
by Tabs
"Medium, Mr. McTavish," answers Klevendon to the ginger fellow, feeling pleased by the compliments. "No sand or ice for us today, sir, just waterproof clothing." He glances at Miss Bly, still unhappy about a woman in trousers and waders.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:58 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie shakes her head in exasperation... "This is no time for 'stick in the mud attitudes' I am not venturing our unless I have suitable attire." She looks around the shop... "You must have outfitted a small man... or boy... something in that size ought to suffice. We shall also be needing some safety lanterns..." she looks encouragingly at the others hoping they have requests for equipment to aid their perilous expedition.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 pm
by Priest
McTavish eyes Nellie with a critical eye, "Indeed, aye, we may have something of the necessary size to fit ye young lady, and we do indeed have safety lanterns including the new Gyroscopic Electricity Lantern. So called as it works from a kind of perpetual motion, once charged by activation of the rotary gyroscope it is said never to fail. Providing light until the gyroscope is halted"
He bends to drag a dust covered box from a lower shelf from within he withdraws something of outrageous proportions and of a sickly yellow colour, something that would necessitate the carrying with both hands.
"This be the lantern" he pulls a large metal container and harness from within the same box, "This be the gyroscope system as you can see it is quite bulky and is carried by means of this canvas and leather harness. It looks a little cumbersome but I am assured it works excellently" he pauses as if awaiting your thoughts, "Or, ye can have the standard oil hurricane safety lamps, as long as they have oil they will work"

He gives a resigned sigh, "Right, if I ken what kind of expedition ye would be about, I may be able to suggest a few necessities"

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:31 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie smiles in gratitude at McTavish as he indicate that she can be outfitted as required. Her eyebrow raises looking at the cumbersome contraption that he then proceeds to pull off the shelf, noting the amount of dust that has accumulated on the lid she draws that conclusion that the cleaners employed at the shop were incredibly shoddy or, and more realistically, that McTavish had been trying to sell the contraption for some considerable time indeed. "Goodness... I don't think we should need anything as bulky as that... perhaps you might have some shuttered lanterns available, instead? she enquires politely.

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:36 pm
by Priest
Previously Nellie said:   "Goodness... I don't think we should need anything as bulky as that... perhaps you might have some shuttered lanterns available, instead?  
McTavish sighs at Nellies words, and with a slight shake of his head replaces the 'lantern' in its dust covered box.

"Here Miss" he slides another box across the counter. Inside can be seen the more regular shape of a lantern its solitary glass lens like a souless eye.
"Is this the kind you will be after?"

Roxborough, having spent some time in deep thought, gently srokes his large moustache, "Rope, we will be needing some rope"

"Aye" answers the Scotsman, brightening up, "How much rope will ye be needing?"

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:50 am
by carnage_lee

Nellie nods as the more familiar lantern is produced by McTavish "Thank you, just the ticket; I think we shall be requiring two of those and enough oil to last us for ..." Nellie taps her lip, how long would be reasonable... how long would the hunt take? "... would you agree twelve hours for each lantern, Peter?" Nellie asks of their hunting expert.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:22 pm
by Priest
Roxborough, still engrossed in the need for suitable rope, nods, "The lanterns would seem eminently suitable and as you say oil for twelve hours each would suffice, I imagine"
He looks at the Scotsman, "About 100ft would do it, I dare say. And your finest hemp please, none of that cheap American mixture stuff"
For several seconds he peruses Wellington, who he thinks must have either died of apoplexy or be deep in some trance like thought process. "And animal cages of some description".
He is muttering to himself as he turns away, "We need to create some kind of trap"
Roxborough thinking:   After all,trap the thing, then kill it, hang it and cook it later when time permits  
He can feel his mouth moistening at the thought.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:34 am
by Tabs
" 'Animal cages'!" laughs Klevendon at Roxborough; "even if Mr. McT-- the Scottish person sells them, how on Earth are we to move them?" he snorts derisively. Then he adds: "How about a crowbar? for gratings and whatnot."

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:09 pm
by Priest
Looking a trifle hurt at Klevendon's scornful dismissal of his suggestion, Roxborough shrugs, "I wasn't suggesting we should carry the traps, Mr Klevendon, rather that we might find a way of setting a trap at one end of a sewer pipe, closing off any side exits and beating the creature towards it. I have used a similar technique when hunting tiger in India, mountain lions in the Americas etc."

He looks towards Nellie, as if seeking her approval, "What were you thinking, Mr Klevendon, that we simply stroll around the length and breadth of the London sewers untill we come face to face with the mysterious creature?"
With a wry smile he continues, "Or I could simply position myself at an exit with my rifle, and wait for you to hunt the creature to me. A system much favoured on the grouse moors of Scotland."

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:37 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon stutters at the suggestion he do any hunting: "You are more than capable I'm sure, Mr. Roxborough."

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:28 pm
by Priest
McTavish senses the atmosphere in the room and with a storekeepers tact, "So its a wee hunting trip then is it, in the sewers of London? Very nasty. If it's one of yon fabled crocodiles that are said to infest the sewers, then ye'll be needing a large cage to hold the thing"

He turns to Nellie and favours her with a large wink, "It is said that the crocodiles have grown down there after they were released into the sewers by negligent pet keepers. And that, in some cases, they have grown to several hundred feet in length. Of course it's but a story and I myself have little truck with such fables"

"However, if ye be on a hunt..." again he reaches into a dust covered box several shelves up from the floor, from within he produces a triangular shaped device of brass and leather, upon one end of which something resembling an old fashioned hearing trumpet has been attached. "This is the Stonway Tracking Device it is said to respond to the tiniest of changes in air pressure, allowing the holder to track the movement of all manner of animal. It is this months special and can be yours for the introductory price of seven pounds and three shillings"
Seeing the doubt in your eyes, he returns the device to its box, "Crowbars we have aplenty, large or will ye be needing the smaller prybar sort?"

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:49 pm
by Tabs
"Gosh," exclaims Klevendon, "I really don't know?--the larger crowbar I think," he looks enquiringly at the others. "As for the Stonway Tracking Device , it sounds just the ticket, wouldn't you agree, Mr. Roxborough? I say, sir"--directed at McTavish--"the device does work, doesn't it?"

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 am
by Papa Gateau
Ah yes! A splendid idea, I do believe we will take the Stonway Tracking Device. Would you be so good as to instruct my good friend Mr. Klevendon in it's use, Mr. McTavish. He is somewhat of a novice in the art of hunting, I think he will benefit from any advantage that we can give him.

Now, remember my friends, this little trip to the sewers is a dry run, as it were, an orientation to so that you become familiar to hunting in subterranean environments before our expedition to the fabled Hercules caves of Morocco.

Now Mr.McTavish, let's have no more talk of crocodiles eh? Whilst I have fearlessly faced and dined on those prehistoric beasts my colleagues are all new to the art of hunting and are already a little nervous. Let's not give them any unfounded fears eh?

Roxborough thinking:   Hopefully that will throw him of the scent! We don't really want anyone knowing that we are entering the sewers and what we are doing down there.  
Mr. McTavish, should your equipment be up to standard and of a reasonable price, I will be sure to use your good establishment to equip our party's expedition to Marocco. Roxborough jingles the coins in his pocket and smiles.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:42 am
by Priest
Previously Roxborough said:   Mr. McTavish, should your equipment be up to standard and of a reasonable price, I will be sure to use your good establishment to equip our party's expedition to Marocco.  
"Indeed it is sir, of the very best. 'Whatever, wherever, whenever' be our establishments motto, and tis nay hot air and blather, you order it and we will supply it and ship it to the destination of your choice for a wee shipping charge of ten percent"

McTavish almost leaps to regain the Stonway device from it's box, "This device as said measures changes in air pressure and thus is able to track any movement within its proximity. By holding it in front of the hunting party ye are assured that any reading it displays upon this dial..." he indicates a large circular dial which has been divided into degrees, "... is of something other than party members"
He steps closer to Klevendon, so that the antiquarian might better see the modus operandi, "This be the on/off switch" he flicks a brass toggle switch and the device suddenly emits a greenish glow from the dial area and emits a faint hum.
He then passes his hand back and forth several inches in front of the Stonway. As he moves it the device emits a series of low clicks. The closer he gets to the trumpet appendage the more rapid the clicks become. On the dial a black spot can be seen mirroring the movement accompanied by a series of numbers that show the distance the object is from the device.
"According to the instruction booklet yon device has a range of six hundred yards ample to spot a charging Rhinocerous, or one of those recently discovered walking, man eating plant things which like to creep up on the unwary. Carstairs and Carstairs have supplied several sets of the Stonway to various expeditions and have received nay complaints as to their efficacy"

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:21 pm
by Tabs
"Excellent," beams Klevendon. He whispers to Roxborough: " 'Morocco,' sir?"

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:57 am
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough leans towards to Klevendon and whispers back "Laying a false trail my friend".

He winks conspiratorially.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:39 am
by Priest
McTavish, produces a notebook and a tiny nub of a pencil, he licks the end, "So let me see. Ye'll be wanting crowbars, rope, lanterns and fuel,a cage of unspecified dimensions and yon Stonway, waders and suitable clothing for the young lady?"

He writes everything down in large, illegible letters as he speaks. The concentration easily apparent on his features, where not covered by a profusion of ginger hair of course.
"No problem sir, will ye be needing anything else, camping equiptment for example? Do you wish this delivered or will Ye be taking it now?"

He turns at last to Roxborough, "Shall I be sending the bill to the usual place sir?"
OOC:   Sadly we seem to have misplaced Wellington. I know that Dr P is having a busy time in RL at the moment. When he returns if there was any equipment that he sees a need for, I will asume that it was supplied by Carstairs and Carstairs. The same thing aplies to all of you, within reason. So when you are ready please proceed to your next location.  

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:00 am
by Papa Gateau
Yes, the usual address is fine

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:11 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon returns the wink: "I'm with you, old boy."
OOC:   Priest, you've done a fine job of portraying McTavish--he deserves his own story!  

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:38 pm
by Priest
Tabs wrote:
OOC:   Priest, you've done a fine job of portraying McTavish--he deserves his own story!  
OOC:   Thank you sir. I shall keep him in my back pocket, who knows he may resurface in another tale.  

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:27 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie tries to hide her wry smile as Klevendon inspects the 'tracking contraption' watching as his dark eyes light up as the machine emits various 'beeps' and 'whirring' noises. She continues her walk about the shop... seeing if anything on the shelves catches her eye, occasionally picking up some piece of kit, briefly examining it before replacing it back onto the shelf or into the box from whence it came.

"I think some kind of stout 'nap-sack' would be invaluable as well as some chalk, for marking the walls... and a first-aid kit... a stout walking stick... waterproof pouches would be very handy too."

Nellie makes her way back to the counter. "Are we all done?" she asks.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:27 pm
by Priest
From the sudden intense look that crosses the Scotsman's face it would seem that he is having a hard time keeping up with Nellies sudden burst of item requests.
"Nap-sack, chalk, first aid kit, walking stick and a few waterproof pouches, aye"
For a second or two he eyes the list as if to assure himself of its contents, "What about one o' these new fangled pocket knives? They seem all the rage at the moment"
He produces a red handled pocket knife that seems almost as thick as it is long, festooned with a myriad of blades, tools and other 'useful' appendages, including one that no one knows of a use for but looks as though it might come in handy.

"It is made by a Russian fellow Bergeroff and seems a essential piece of Russian military kit" he smiles "Oh those Russians"

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:51 pm
by carnage_lee

"Capital idea Mr McTavish by all means furnish us with one of those... as an officer in the 13th Hussars of my acquaintance is want of saying be prepared. "

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:22 am
by Tabs
Klevendon is very taken with the Stonway Tracking Device, as Nellie notices, the gadget is very pleasing to him. When she mentions "chalk" he adds rhetorically, "To blaze a trail, what?"

"Oh yes, a 'Bergeroff' too."

"The 13th Light Dragoons," says Klevendon, clearly interested, "I knew a chap who was at the 'Charge,' 'Half a league onward' and all that."

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:55 pm
by Priest
OOC:   In respect of Dr Ps abscense and to help move thing along a bit  
Wellington takes his large, ornate, but kept to the precise time, pocket watch from his vest pocket and flips it open. For a moment he looks at the time and thoughfully sucks a hollow tooth.
"If we intend to make that inn and quell the beast that lurks with our friend Roxborough's stomach, then we should depart. I take it that we have all we need, or think we need"
With a quizical gaze he peruses the Stonway device that Klevendon clutches to his chest,
"My good man I shall require a pair of those waders if you please"

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:30 am
by Tabs
Klevendon watches Wellington's curiosity, he lowers the Stonway and tones down the avaricious gleam upon his face. "Gentlemen, lady, let us depart."

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:42 pm
by carnage_lee

With a nod Nellie signifies that she is ready, or as ready as she can ever be. "Thank you for your service Mr McTavish you do indeed run an 'Aladin's cave' for the gentleman adventurer.. everything one could imagine for an expedition." She favours Mc Tavish with a smile before helping to collect a package of their goods and heading out with the others.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:25 pm
by Priest
Previously Nellie said:   "Thank you for your service Mr McTavish you do indeed run an 'Aladin's cave' for the gentleman adventurer.. everything one could imagine for an expedition."  
At Nellie's words the dour looking Scotsman turns a delicate shade of red, what skin can be seen beyond his gingery growth, the colour clashes with his beard most awfuly.
"Why thank you Miss, come back when ye may, ther will aways be a warm welcome awaiting ye"
He rushes to open the door for you to leave with your purchases.
"Now don't be forgetting the Caruthers and Caruthers motto 'Whatever, wherever, whenever' if you be needing it we can supply it to ye. Gooday to ye all and good hunting"

Wellington gives the Scotsman a bored glance, "Humph!!"

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:23 am
by Tabs
Outside the shop Klevendon begins to feel more than a little apprehensive. "Don't worry, Miss Bly, I am sure everything will be fine, I mean we have Mr. Roxborough so we shall be as safe as houses!" he says cheerfully, suspecting that Nellie probably doesn't need his reassurance and, no doubt, she will be more effective than he is in the sewers.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:38 am
by Priest
At Klevendon's words Roxborough smiles and gently strokes his moustache, "Indeed Mr Klevendon" to Nellie, his smile broadening as he speaks, "Fear not Miss Bly, I have yet to meet a creature that can stand against Matilda" he gives the canvas gun bag a loving pat.

As he walks towards the waiting cab, half concetrating on the filling of his meercham pipe, Wellington coughs, raises one quizical eyebrow and reitterates his earlier 'humph'.
OOC:   At this rate I shall soon be NPCing the entire party, please Tabs and Lee don't leave me :cry:  

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:04 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I wouldn't mind NPC'ing another character for a while. If it'd help?  

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:14 am
by carnage_lee

"We should take a room at 'the Kings Head' to serve as out base and as a place to change unto our new clothing. I dare say that there would be a set of 'back stairs' to allow us access to the courtyard out of site of the patrons in the tap room. The poor landlord seemed suitable charmed that if we came up with a story and coin he would be only to pleased to let us have lodgings for a day or two." Nellie grins.. "It's important to have a base, especially one well provisioned, is it not?" Nellie asks of their hunting expert.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:53 am
by Tabs
Roxborough grins at Nellie: "I'd say! My dear, you're a woman after my own heart."

"Are we going then?" demands Wellington rudely.

Klevendon nods, "A room at the King's Head, a good idea."
OOC:   DrPeterson has gone for the Summer . . . and Papa G. is still around I think.  

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:10 pm
by Priest
Previously Roxborough said:   "I'd say! My dear, you're a woman after my own heart."  
At the same moment his stomach also answers with a loud affirming rumble.

Wellington looks at the cab driver and with his pipe firmly clenched between his teeth, mumbles the address of the King's Head, adding, "As fast as you can my good man, before our companion explodes"
OOC:   Thank you both. Lee I would be more than happy if you were to take over NPCing Wellington during Dr P's absence. Papa G tends to come in and out on occasion, but if Tabs would be so kind as to keep him under observation during any hunt it would help imeasurably :)  

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:22 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Okay, I'll add actions/comments for Roxborough if Papa G. hasn't posted.  

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:10 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The taciturn detective slumps back in his seat as the carriage moves off, a frown across his brow as he sucks on his pipe. "Do you consider that we are on the trail of not one but two beasts?" he suddenly blurts out, waving his pipe in an animated fashion, smoke following his movements like some demented elemental. "Consider what we know, something hatched and escaped into the sewers from the basement of the Museum, apparently after causing the death of the poor soul tasked with checking on its egg. Then we have an attack behind the Kings Head, one swipe felling a fully grown horse, attacker seemingly to use the sewers. What do we deduce from this, hmm?" he cocks an eyebrow.

"We can deduce that there are two creatures skulking around in the sewers beneath our feet!"

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:46 am
by Tabs
waving his pipe in an animated fashion, smoke following his movements like some demented elemental.
OOC:   That's a good simile. :)  
"Two beasts?" ponders Klevendon. "I suppose that would explain the apparent supernatural growth of the creature---"

Roxborough interjects: "More than one of 'em? Oh, yes!"

"Oh, no," whispers Klevendon.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 pm
by Priest
Within what seems minutes, barely enough time for the good Klevendon, a somewhat white faced Klevendon, to digest the idea of two, not one, creatures somewhere within the sewers, the cab arrives at its destination.

"Ere we is then the 'Kings Ead'. I seems to recall readin somethin abaht this place in the papers, but I forgets wot it was now" mutters the cabbie as he nimbly, for a retired soldier, jumps down and opens the door.

Inside the inn, things seem to have changed little since your last visit, in fact, although you couldn't swear to it, it looks like Jacobs, the proprieter, is wearing the same apron as he was before, with just a few new stains to mark the difference.

"Well I'll be...Genelemen and Miss, welcome back to me 'umble inn. How can I assist you today, somthin to eat prahps. or a jar of ale?". As he finishes speaking Jacobs flashes a sideways glance at the door to the back yard. It is closed and you can see that at least two new heavy iron bolts have been added since your last visit

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:13 am
by Tabs
"A room, Mr. Jacobs," says Klevendon, "for us Gentlemen, and another for the Lady." He points to all of their paraphernalia: "And somebody to port this lot to said rooms, my good man."

"Food and ale, an excellent notion!" says Roxborough.
As he finishes speaking Jacobs flashes a sideways glance at the door to the back yard. It is closed and you can see that at least two new heavy iron bolts have been added since your last visit
"More trouble with ghosties?"

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:33 pm
by Priest
Previously Klevendon said:   "A room, Mr. Jacobs,". "for us Gentlemen, and another for the Lady". "And somebody to port this lot to said rooms, my good man."  
Jacobs nods, then bows most humbly, "Indeed sir. It shall be as you say." he pulls a large leather bound writing book from beneath the counter, "We 'as two rooms hempty, if you gentlemen don't mind sharin the young lady may have the other one hoverlookin the yard". He turns and shouts at a young lad who is currently collecting plates and glasses off the tables, "Oi, Nathaniel, help the gentlemen and the lady wiv their bags to rooms two hand four", You watch as the young lad in an apron almost as stained as that worn by Jacobs stops what he is doing and hurries to assist.
Previously Roxborough said:   "Food and ale, an excellent notion!"  
"But of course sir, may I suggest the jellied eels todays special?"

At Roxborough's next words, Jacobs gulps and flashes another quick glance towards the bolted door, "Nah, but you can never be to careful"
His words, delivered in a low mumble, is enough to bring a burst of laughter form elsewhere in the room.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:02 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Sorry folks, I'm not receiving email notifications from the forum  
Yes indeed, I'll start with the jellied eels and tankard of your finest ale and I'll follow that up with your rather tasty pie.

We'll be back down in a few minutes once we have perused our rooms.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:25 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie rolls her eyes at Roxborough's reaction to the mention of food. "Careful... we wouldn't want you to get stuck.." she quips.

Nellie motions Jacobs over, "My friends and I shall be wanting to go into the yard again.. is there a more discrete entrance?" she asks in conspiratorial tones.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 pm
by Tabs
The "burst of laughter," Klevendon discreetly surveys the room to ascertain who it was.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:09 pm
by Priest
Looking discreetly about the inn, Klevendon concludes that it could have been any of the five other patrons. Although as he watches a surly faced individual with a grin that displays a distinct lack of teeth begins to slowly tap his stick on the flagstone floor.
At the tapping sound Jacobs at first goes very pale, glances at the door. Then realising he has again become the butt of the joke reddens and glares towards the group of five, who are now doing their utmost to maintain straight faces.

"Oi, any mores uv thaht and you lot is ban..." he shakes his head as if realising he is in no position to throw out paying customers and hurries off towards the kitchens.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 am
by Tabs
Klevendon goes to his room and fiddles with the Stonway Tracking Device until he becomes fully acquainted with the machine.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:19 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough places his equipment in the room and glances at Klevendon

Think you've got the hang of that thing, Klevenedon? I'm interested to see how well it works - could prove useful out in the field he smiles.

His stomach then lets out a low, long, gurgle. He pats his tummy affectionately "I say, shall we head down for lunch?

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:03 pm
by Tabs
"We'll see," answers Klevendon as he twiddles a knob. " 'Lunch'--are you serious, Mr. Roxborough?"

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:23 pm
by Priest
Previously Nellie said:   "My friends and I shall be wanting to go into the yard again.. is there a more discrete entrance?" she asks in conspiratorial tones.  
Jacobs turns to Nellie as he heads for the kitchen, "Sides the door" he gestures towards the bolted edifice, "There is only the cellar entrance. But may I arsk why you needs to be going out there? Since your last visit no one's bin aht the back"

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie nods at Jacobs' answer and motions him over. Nellie takes an exaggerated look around the tap-room, motioning the burly barman closer. "We need your discretion.." then steeling herself against Jabobs' expected foul breath she answers him, she leans closer. "My colleagues and I have been tasked with finding out more about the visitation that you bravely endured the other day." Nellie makes another theatrical show of looking around to make sure that they are not being overheard. "Some very important parties are interested to get to the bottom of the mystery of what occurred outside.. " Nellie hopes that she's done enough to bamboozle the poor sot.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:40 pm
by Priest
Jacobs winks in a conspiratorial way at Nellie, a most overexagerated wink, he also taps the side of his nose with one begrimed finger, "Thawt as much".
He like Nellie, takes a long slow look around the baroom, lingering on the group at the far side, who return his stare with interest.
"There is somethin strange going on around 'ere. Though why Old Nick should be interested in me I don't know, of course it could 'ave bin old Spring 'eeled Jack, a visitin, they do say he was partial to these parts."
He finishes with a shudder, as if spooked by his own thinking, and continues towards the kitchen, flinging a last sour look at the group over the far side of the room.
"The lad'll carry your luggage up to the room, I 'opes you finds it to yer likin"

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:17 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The detective raises an eyebrow and ejects a small snort of derision as he sucks on his ever present pipe, as he overhears Jacobs' reference to Spring Heeled Jack.

Acting to cut off any more spurious remarks he steps to the counter.. "Thank you for your co-operation." he adds brusquely as Jacobs turns, once again, towards the kitchen.
OOC:   Can we take it that all the characters repair to their allotted rooms, change their attire and equip themselves ready to enter the sewer tunnels?  

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:48 pm
by Priest
Time passes quickly and eventually our noble band of investigators stand, fully equipped, at the cover of the sewer entrance behind the Kings Head. The alleyway is quiet, its silence disturbing in its totality. A sudden low, reverberating rumble almost makes you jump, but a slightly shamefaced smile shows its source, "Sorry about that, two helpings of jellied eels you know".

The alleyway looks the same as it did before, even the bloodstains from the horse look relatively fresh...

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon straps on the Stonway and turns it on "Ping"! "I say," he gulps, "is Mr. Roxborough going first?"

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:31 am
by Papa Gateau
Indeed! Let me lead the way!. Klevendon dear fellow, you come next - let's see what that contraption can show us eh? Nellie, my dear, if you would be so good as stay in the middle of the party. Wellington bring up the rear, remember to check behind us - don't want any nasty surprises coming up from behind when the firepower is at the front.

Remember everyone, keep quiet - stealth is our ally!

Have no fear, Peter Roxborough is here!
he taps his enormous rifle affectionately and heads to the sewer entrance, a huge smile beaming across his face.

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:01 am
by Priest
The lid of the sewer is suprisingly easy to remove, but then it had been opened very recently. As the hole is uncovered, two things immediately catch your attention, one the awful smell, and two the depth of the darkness that obscures the bottom of the shaft and the tunnel that runs beneath the ground.
Within you can hear a muffled drip, drip of water and a distant rushing sound either wind or water.

As you shine your lamps inside you can see that iron ladder rungs descend, and at its base, where the tunnel begins, a white painted sign admonishes the reader to "Mind your head".

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon stands aside for Roxborough, inwardly he sighs with relief when the hunter confirms that he is to go first and also wondering what to do if a monster does rear its head,--literally--run, probably. He says: "I wish I could share in your confidence, Mr. Roxborough!"

"Good grief! what a stink."

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:45 pm
by Papa Gateau
Breathe through your mouths - it will make the smell a little more bearable

Roxborough examines the rungs on the ladder - looking to see if there are fresh marks on them or whether the old ones have started to corrode or mildew over.

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:50 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Roxborough: as the first one into the sewers please check for Tracking. Either accept the average (3) or roll 6d6 and count up the number of even rolls. The higher the number of even rolls (Successes) the better.
Everyone: Don't forget you have style points available should you feel you need them.  

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:15 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie recoils from the stench which seems even worse than before. Wishing that she had thought to ask for a mask or some other means of rendering the noxious vapours as innocuous as possible.
Nellie thinking:   "I bet [b]McTavish[/b] would have had a handy contraption ready and waiting to be snapped up.  
Taking a half step back wondering if she could indeed venture underground. Nellie nods at the suggested order of the party, thankful to be behind the barrel of Roxborough's formidable weapon.

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:39 pm
by carnage_lee
Wellington

The terrible stench from the sewers below fill his nostril once again,Wellington half automatically slips into an esoteric Hindu meditation technique in order to ignore the assault to his olfactory senses. With some small amusement he notes Miss Bligh's and Klevendon's reaction.
Wellington thinking:   "What did they expect, a Rose garden?"  
He eyes the rotund hunter with a shrewd eye, his lack of exclamation at the odours emanating from the manhole is quite exemplary.
Wellington thinking:   "How does he manage it? Is he that excited by the prospect of 'bringing something to ground' that he can shrug off external influences? Or, is it something else.. the man spends months in the wilderness perhaps he too has benefited from the teachings of a different culture?"  
Snapping out of his musings Wellington focuses intently on the task at hand..

"Yes, your order makes perfect sense old boy" Wellington responds, glad he had the foresight to make sure his trusty revolver now resided in the pocket of his 'hunting' gear. "What do you see there?" he asks noting Roxborough peering intently downwards into the man-hole.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 am
by Tabs
OOC:   I note that I have 8 Style points, can you tell me how to use 'em again, please?  
Klevendon switches to breathing through his mouth as Roxborough instructed. He returns a rather frightened and, probably, pathetic gaze at Wellington, wondering what the Detective is thinking?

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 am
by carnage_lee
Style points are similar to 'Hero Points' or 'Fate Points' and other similarly named games features...

(from the rule book)
Spending Style Points
Style points may be spent during play for a variety of benefits.

Bonus Dice: The most common use of Style points is purchasing bonus dice for a particular action. You receive one bonus die for every Style point spent. These bonus dice are only good for a single dice roll, after which they are gone. Additional Style points have to be spent to get bonus dice on another roll. Bonus dice may also be purchased to improve the average of a dice pool
(see Taking the Average, above). You may not buy more than ten bonus dice on any one action. Bonus dice may be bought after the initial die roll is made.

Example: Victor is trying to escape a deathtrap. He must quickly solve a puzzle in order to get out alive. His modified Enigmas dice pool is three. That doesn’t give him much of a chance, so he decides to buy some bonus dice. Victor spends three Style points to get three bonus dice, bringing his dice pool to escape his bonds to seven. Taking the Average of his dice pool nets Victor three successes, which is equal to the Difficulty rating of the task. Victor succeeds in solving the puzzle without rolling any dice. He runs away just in the nick of time!

Boosting Talents: Talents may be temporarily boosted with Style points. Your character’s Talent is improved by one Level for every two Style points spent. The improvement lasts for the duration of an entire combat, or an entire scene if it is a non-combat Talent. After this time, the Talent reverts back to its normal Level. Your character must have a Talent in order to boost it. You cannot boost a unique Talent or improve a standard Talent beyond its maximum Level.

Example: Seamus is in deep trouble. He wandered off alone and now there’s an angry bear charging him. If he is going to survive, he has to make every shot count by hitting the beast where it hurts. Called Shots to hit vital areas penalize the attacker’s dice pool, but Seamus has the Accuracy Talent, which reduces this penalty by two. Seamus wants to reduce this penalty as much as possible, so he decides to boost his Talent. He spends a whopping six Style points to boost his Accuracy to its maximum Level, which allows him to ignore up to –8 Called Shot penalties for the duration of the combat. If he can do enough damage to the bear before it gets to him, he just might have a chance.

Damage Reduction: Damage inflicted on your character may be reduced with Style points. Your character takes one less point of damage for every two Style points spent. This represents your character’s special status as a player character. Even an absent-minded professor can blunder through combat with nary a scratch. Major villains may also have Style points, making them just as hard to kill as player characters. Style points may only be spent to reduce damage when it is inflicted. If the Gamemaster allows it, however, you may spend Style points to reduce damage later, representing a less severe wound or faster healing ability.

Example: Seamus shot and killed the bear that was attacking him. Unfortunately, its mate attacked him from behind while he was preoccupied. It landed a lucky blow and did seven points of lethal damage. This is more than enough to incapacitate Seamus, so he decides to spend some Style points to reduce the damage. Seamus spends all four of his Style points to reduce
the damage by two points. He takes five points of lethal damage, which is enough to stun him but not knock him out. It also reduces his Health to 0. He’s not dying yet, but if he takes any more damage he’s going to be in trouble.

Other: The Gamemaster may also allow you to spend Style points for other benefits, such as altering a plot point or making a seemingly random event turn out in your character’s favour.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:58 am
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   I've forgotten the dice rolling syntax - hopefully thefollowing tracking roll shows up ok - if not I'll hit Invisible Castle  
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:59 am
by Papa Gateau
Papa Gateau wrote:
OOC:   I've forgotten the dice rolling syntax - hopefully thefollowing tracking roll shows up ok - if not I'll hit Invisible Castle  
[dice]161909:0[/dice]
OOC:   Ok - that's 3 successes - to examine the ladder/rungs  

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:38 am
by Priest
Roxborough,There are small marks on the iron rungs indicating that something, or someone, has recently used them to access the sewer tunnel below, but you had seen the on your previous visit so are not suprised to find them still there. You spot nothing new, but be prepared to make further rolls when you choose.
Below the brick lined tunnel, it central gulley awash with fouls smelling liquid, extends both ways. In both directions you can see, faintly in your lamp lights the openings of intersections However from studies of the sewer map, which Klevendon carries neatly folded and contained within a compartment of his napsack, it would seem that taking an eastward direction towards Fleet Street then onwards to the last known position of the missing sewer worker, would be the best bet.

The Stonway clicks at its normal pace, and its screen indicates nothing moving either ahead or behind them.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 am
by Papa Gateau
Spoiler:
Priest,
Sorry, I was checking the rungs to see what state the old marks were in or whether there were new ones.
Roxborough checks his compass and waits for everyone to descend the ladder. Once everyone is down and the cover back in place on the manhole, he waits a few moments and attunes his keen hunter's senses to the environment - listening to and tuning out the constant drip, drip of the water, the occasional squeak of rodents and the regular click-click from the Stonway device, allowing his eyes to become accustomed to the dim, dark tunnels, slowly modulating his breath from mouth breathing to full nasal olfactory detection. Once his senses are acclimatised, he turns to the party, points eastwards and heads off slowly in the indicated direction.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:00 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Papa G: No problem, thought you might be. Had there been any other tracks more than three successes would have been needed.
Everyone: You will note that I have slightly increased your number of Style Points as I felt I had been a tad miserly with them.
And thanks Lee your posting of the rules for style points saved me a task :D  

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:18 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie gingerly descends the ladder, trying no to gag at the dreadful stink wafting up and around her. Once at the bottom she moves to one side to let Wellington take his turn in descending into the sewer tunnel. Nellie finds the lantern a little cumbersome and somewhat tiring to hold up at arms length, changing hands every few minutes whilst they wait for Roxborough to choose the direction to take. Nellie does make sure to mark the wall near to the iron rungs of the ladder so that they know this is their starting point.

Wellington
Seeing Nellie make the mark on the brick wall of the tunnel Wellington nods in appreciation."A splendid idea Miss Bly, if you would care to furnish me with your chalk I will take the task of marking our trail."
OOC:   Nellie will concentrate on making sure they have enough light, Wellington will continue to mark their route through the sewers.  

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:58 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Its a long, mostly boring, arduous, and far from pleasantly smelling task, searching the sewers. London’s sewer system is truly vast. The main sewers alone stretch for over 450 miles, and the minor sewers, many of which are too narrow to explore, extend for 13,000 miles. There are also a number of subterranean rivers flowing beneath the streets of London, many of which connect to the sewer system (or double as sewers in their own right). Of course you are well aware of this from the map. In order then to facilitate this hunt, we shall use the following;

For each two hours of searching, a character may make a Skill roll of his choice or a Perception roll. Simply roll dice equal to the appropriate rating.
The characters may Take the Average if they prefer a steady but slow rate of progress.
The player should explain exactly what Skill he is using and how it aids the search. Survival, for example, covers tracking and includes knowledge of stalking prey. Stealth might be used to guide the party forward slowly but quietly, thus allowing the party to progress without risking scaring the beast away. Larceny could allow the characters to pick the lock on a grate separating two sewer tunnels, thus opening up new avenues of exploration. Perception may locate spoor or scratch marks.
Three important but simple rules apply.
First, the Gamemaster should encourage the characters to be creative in their choice of Skills.
Second, no character can use the same Skill or Attribute roll twice during the hunt. Two characters could each make Survival rolls, for example, but one character could not make two Survival rolls. The latter stops the character being a one-trick pony.
Third, each character makes one Skill roll in turn, thus ensuring everyone gets to participate. The order in which the characters make the rolls is their choice.

Whatever the skill used a TN of 5 successes is needed. (This number can of course be increased by use of Style Points)
This TN 5 need not result from one roll but may be totaled over several, just remember each roll is two hours spent searching  

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 am
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly

Holding her lantern aloft, Nellie also looks out for any signs that may indicate that they are on the right track. Stretches of tunnels are broadly similar in construction using her Perception she starts to notice subtle changes is the appearance, 'an odd scrape here' or patches of newly exposed brickwork as if something large brushed against the walls.
OOC:   Nellie Perception 8
[dice]0[/dice]  

Horatio Wellington

Brining up the rear, Wellington marks their progress marking each intersection, so that the group can reverse their steps and make it back to their base at The King's Head. Tracing their route on the map he starts to analyse their progress using his well honed deductive powers (Investigation) to make reasoned assumptions about where their quarry might be.
OOC:   Wellington Investigation 8
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Hey! I'm on me iPad,--typing is a chore--so I'll post later on today when I can get to a keyboard.  

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:48 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough leads the party through the tunnels - pointing out marks or spoor of various different quarry, stopping occasionally to refer to the map.
OOC:   Tracking[dice]0[/dice]  
Roxborough thinking:   Ah Miss Bly, she really is delightful creature; pretty, confident, knows her own mind and certainly not put off by venturing down in the filth of the sewers. Quick on the uptake too, noticing all the right things, would definitely make a good tracker with the right instruction. Maybe once all this business is done, she might like to come and hunt with me on the plains of Africa.  

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:20 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Thanks for the rules posting, carnage-lee.  
Klevendon wonders if Roxborough is as good a hunter as he believes himself to be. "Is he on the right track?" he thinks.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:00 pm
by Priest
The results of Klevendon's successes;
For what seems, in the gloom, a veritable age in which you have switched from a hot sweat to a cold sweat with alarming regularity, you squelch onwards following the confidence exuding Roxborough.

Beyond his carefree step, you see a still shape, little more than a dark shadow within the tunnels gloom, but something about it makes your blood run cold and small tingles to play up and down your spine.
The party halts, listening, yet no sound out of the ordinary can be heard. Someone, probably Miss Bly, plays her lamps on the ominous shape.
The sight revealed brings a hiss of exhaled breath from the assemblage, in the yellow beam of the lamp, a male human body can be seen, partialy naked, lying huddled, unmoving against the brick wall. From what can be seen it would appear to have portions missing...

The Stonway clicks on its beat as regular as it is monotonous.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:18 pm
by Tabs
"Don't look, Miss Bly!" says Klevendon, possibly needlessly,--he seems to recall saying something similar before in the museum--he can barely bring himself to look anyway. "Mr. Roxborough, is it anyone we know?"

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:03 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Whoever looks at the body in detail, needs Perception successes, the more the better.  

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:10 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Horatio steps forward towards the body, bent upon examining it. "If you would be so kind as to keep the light steady.." he utters gruffly, stooping to better start his examination.
Wellington - Perception 8 (+1),[dice]0[/dice]9 dice rolled / 1 Style pt spend

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:01 pm
by Priest
Wellington,You can tell from the pattern of flesh loss on the corpse that he has, at some stage, been gnawed. The teeth pattern would seem to indicate rodents. The man, some kind of down and out from the remains of his attire and poor personal hygiene, had died of something prior to his being partialy consumed by the rodents several days gone. From the expression fixed accross his face, similar to that found on the dead assistant, would appear to indicate some form of coronary event, but as to its cause there is no indication. Near him is the smashed remains of a gin bottle a small amount of liquid still remaining within, bearing the distinctive perfumy smell of cheap gin. Some fifteen feet further on a set of iron rungs attest to an entrance above.
In the lamp light, held steady by Nellie despite her averted gaze, Wellington bends and carefully studies the body. After several minutes of deep contemplation, and, judging from the furrowed brow, intense thought, he rises from his squated position and looks off down the tunnel.
Before he has a chance to pronounce his findings, you all hear a distinct tapping coming from somewhere ahead. A tapping of something metallic on stone.

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:45 pm
by Tabs
"What did you find, Mr. Well--?" begins Klevendon when he is interrupted by the metallic tapping, "Good Lord! That can't be an animal, can it, Mr. Roxborough?"

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:41 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough turns to Klevendon his brow furrowing and a stern look on his face, he puts his finger to his lips in the universal sign for silence whilst using his other hand to cup his ear towards the sound.
OOC:   I'm rolling tracking to determine whether that could indeed be the sound of an animal, as opposed to a machine or a person (e.g someone working in the sewers with a hammer and chisel or someone using a walking stick)

Tracking 7 (6 + 1 style): [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:46 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon keeps mum, whilst paying especial attention to the Stonway.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:20 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie freezes, barely daring to breathe as the tapping noise is heard.

Horatio Wellington

Hearing the noise, Wellington slowly reaches into his pocket and withdraws his revolver, ready to face the approaching monster; if indeed it was the monster that was approaching.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:57 pm
by Priest
Tap - tap - tap, goes the sound the harder you listen the more it sounds like someone striking metal against stone, or brick. In fact now you can hear the murmur of voices a few yards ahead. Someone is working...

In a narrow overspill tunnel off the main sewer, too narrow to access you can see two workers busily trying to fix a broken pipe. They have a lantern which has been placed to one side to give them light while work.
"So I says to Bert, there are always strange noises down 'ere. I've 'eard whistling pipes that sound just like someone screamin, and the drip of water that sounds just like footsteps..."
"Ere Stan wots that clickin sahnd coming from the main tunnel?"

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:27 am
by Tabs
Klevendon peers into the mouth of the overspill tunnel. He gives a mild "view halloa" at the workmen. A trifle awkwardly he explains: "We're planning a spelunking holiday, and we thought to test our kit before the real caverns in Yorkshire."

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:35 am
by Priest
Previously Klevendon said:   "We're planning a spelunking holiday, and we thought to test our kit before the real caverns in Yorkshire."  
One of the workers jumps at the unexpected voice from the overflow tunnel. The other simply freezes for a moment, then pulling a tatty cap from his head, scratches his hair and turning toward the direction of the voice,
"Lawd save us. Almost gave me a fright there, wasn't expeckin no 'spelakers' dahn here" he turns to his mate and whispers, although given the nature of the tunnels there is no such thing as a whisper amongst its echoing vastness, ""Wot the 'ell is a 'spelaker"?"
The other workman, recovered from his fright, shrugs impassively.
One again the first workman turns toward Klevendon's barely visible face in the narrow overflow, "So can we help you or is 'spelakin' simply creeping along dark sewers and frightenin simple workers out of several years of growth? And is it you wot is clickin?"

The other worker, now fully recovered enough to have found his voice, adds, "Wotever they is, they shouldn't be dahn here. The sewers is no place for games, dangerous. Rats and such, people dissapearin and all"

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:23 am
by Tabs
"I am frightfully sorry!" answers Klevendon, "and yes, I am clicking." Ignoring the other worker's comments, he asks: "Which direction is it to Fleet Street?"

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:43 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Sorry... had meant to post and have now run out of time - will not be back in the country till August 1st... and not taking laptop on holiday!  

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:55 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Given the fact that Lee has departed for a holiday and will not return to tread these boards until August, I suggest we take a break until then as we are running short of characters, and we are in a place where I have no wish to NPC.  

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:17 am
by carnage_lee

Nellie lets out a gasp of relief, as the sinister tapping noises reveal themselves to be a pair of workmen. Thankfully they aren't in a position to see the corpse and ask awkward questions.

"Ask them if they've seen anything 'unusual'..." Nellie asks Klevendon in a hoarse whisper.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:27 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Welcome back Lee. Good holiday I hope :)  
Previously Klevendon said:   "Which direction is it to Fleet Street?"  
The first workman pulls his cap off, and with a rag wipes his forehead. You can see sweat shining in the torchlight. He blinks and furrows his forehead in deep thought.
"Let me see, for Fleet Street you carries straight on. Don't deviate or be tempted to use one of the side tunnels. As Thomas said these sewers are dangerous and run for miles, take a wrong turn an' you could be lost dahn 'ere forever"
Previously Nellie said:   "Ask them if they've seen anything 'unusual'...  
Although Nellies query is little more than a whisper the sound qualities of the tunnels amplify it until it seems like a shout.
The other worker, the one apparently called Thomas, leans casually on his pick and shakes his head.
"Unusual? We sees unusual fings all the time. An' hears them too. Shadows moving with nufin to cast 'em, sounds that 'ave no source...Only an hour since we 'eard a strange whistling sahnd like someone breathin through some machine..."

He stops talking abruptly and assumes a listening pose, "You 'ear that Stan? There tis again, only closer this time..."
OOC:   Please make Perception Rolls (Don't forget to add bonuses for Alertness if you have it)  

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:32 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Perception[5]: [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:31 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Nellie Bly
Perception [8*]:
[dice]0[/dice]

Horatio Wellington
Perception [8*]:
[dice]1[/dice]

*bonus for Alertness  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:06 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Klevendon's Perception is 6, can you say the TN?--I may spend Style points.  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:00 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Sorry, my bad. The TN is 4 or more successes, you may of course spend Style points if you think it necessary  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:21 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Perception (6d6=14)(331124)  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 pm
by Priest
From somewhere, possibly behind the workmen, you are aware of a strange whistling sound that does indeeed sound like someone breathing through a device of some description.
In no more time than two heartbeats the sound changes to a series of short sharp barks, but such as you have never heard before. The closest comparison you can find is of a large dog clearing its throat.
The sounds grow louder and, somewhat disquiteningly, nearer.

On the other side of the of the narrow overspill tunnel, the one the workmen are currently inhabiting, you are suddenly aware of two glittering disks behind the men.
"Wot the he..." Thomas, his voice several octaves higher with fear, never finishes the sentence as with a scream he is suddenly jerked away into the shadows beyond the light.

"Jesus" gasps Stan as he throws his cap and takes to his heels in the opposite direction.

For seconds the only sounds are Stan's wails as he departs, and an ominous crunching and tearing sound from somewhere beyond the tunnel...

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 pm
by Tabs
"Shoot it! Shoot man!" cries Klevendon to Roxborough in a high pitched panicky voice. He smacks the side of the Stonway. "The bloody thing doesn't work!"

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:25 am
by Priest
Within moments the terrible tearing an cruching sounds stop. Other than the rapidly diminishing sounds of Stan's departure, the sound of panicky breathing all around you, some far off dripping sounds and the clicking of the Stonway, now somewhat faster. An ominous silence has descended.
The oppening of the overspill tunnel, where you had first seen the two workmen, is still ablaze with light, but nothing can be seen moving within.
Klevendon,The burst of activity from the [i]Stonway[/i] may be down to your rough treatment, but you don't think it is. The clicking sound is growing faster and the green glow of the dial shows that something is moving towards you from the rear.
Wellington,Although the happenings have distracted you attention somewhat, you are have a feeling that something is behind you.
Nellie,You hear a noise behind like many small feet running towards you.
Roxborough,Rifle cocked and ready for action, despite being unable to see anything beyond the oppening. The sudden alertness displayed by the others has the small hairs rising on the back of your neck. And you have the feeling that you are being stalked like that time in Bengal with the tigers.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:24 pm
by carnage_lee
[img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/ ... ie-Bly.png[/img

"Something's coming...." Nellie gasps out as the approaching noise snaps her out of the shock of what happened in the next passageway. She swings around, lantern aloft to try and see what may be approaching... "sounds like.. feet.. scampering... ohh no! " Nellie can't see anything beyond the pool of light that her lantern illuminates.

"Rats... RATS" she yelps in a panicked voice...

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:41 am
by Tabs
OOC:   The overspill tunnel, how large is its entrance--can we get into it from the tunnel we are in?  
Klevendon seizes hold of Ms. Bly, more from fright than a desire to protect the "weaker" sex. "The Stonway indicates something behind us!"

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:47 am
by Priest
Previously Tabs said:   OOC: The overspill tunnel, how large is its entrance--can we get into it from the tunnel we are in?  
OOC:   You estimate the tunnel is about two feet in diameter, a tight squeeze even for Nellie. The map shows the Tunnel that the pipe links to as running parallel with the one you are in for a distance before heading off towards the Thames. The map also shows that the tunnels had split into two, yours and the one that the workmen were in, about half a mile back before the entrance behind the Inn  

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:12 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The detective scowls at the interruption of the workmen, he hadn't even had time to let the others what he had deduced from his inspection of the dead tramp. He stuffs his revolver back into a pocket only to withdraw it once more as the dreadful noises come through from the adjacent tunnel. Just from listening it's all too easy for the detective to deduce the events. Their quarry had also been hunting... and with more luck! Then before he could react to those events Miss Bly had let out a yelp about rats... then he realises that he too is aware of something....

From his position near to the body he peers back down the tunnel, trying to make out if anything is approaching.

"Can anyone see what is coming?" he asks "Keep that lantern still!" he barks out, the dancing shadows created by the moving lantern making any observations difficult.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:54 pm
by Tabs
Roxborough turns round and backtracks, pushing aside the others, peering into the gloom of he tunnel. " 'Rats' you say? I need a shotgun then!"

Klevendon fumbles in his backpack for a crowbar.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:04 pm
by Priest
Alerted by Nellie's gasp, the Stonway's increased clicking, you all turn to face the way you had come.

First come shadows, that dance and change size in the glare of the lantern. Then without break those shadows are replaced by a heaving, seething mass of fur that rushes in a skittering swarm towards you.

However, as they hurtle towards you, you feel that you are not the focus of their attention, you are simply blocking their escape route from something else
OOC:   The horde of sewer rats inflict minimal damage, scratches an a few minor bites, being more intent on escape than attack, so it is unecessary at this stage to move to Combat. However...  
As the last of the furry, nightmare horde, flee past into the darkness, another larger shadow appears down the tunnel possibly some 150 yards away in the gloom.
It halts, and the tunnel is filled with that strange whistling sound, broken by a series of horse barks. Wth a slow deliberate step, the sound of which causes the hairs to rise on your necks, a creature of unknown species steps into the glare. It raises its long scaly snout and sniffs at the air, small eyes reflect the lanterns light giving it an evil yellow stare, as reported by Jacobs. It stands about six feet from its foot to the tip of its nose. Two short weak looking arms hang almost inefectualy at its waist. The lantern seems to reflect dully from scales that cover its body, it is the creature of nightmares.

It looks toward you as if sizing you up, and in contemplation raises a toe on which a long, wicked looking talon slowly proceeds to tap rythmicaly on the brick floor of the sewer.
OOC:   Please roll for Initiative. Each of you has an initiative rating which will give you the order in which you may act. This gives the number of dice to be rolled, as usual the number of even dice are calculated as successes, and the more successese the higher on the initiative list you will be. This may be found under your Secondary Attribute listing. None of you has a skill or talent usable at this stage but the number of dice to be rolled may be increased by the expenditure of Style Points.  

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:43 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly
OOC:   Initiative (5)[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:44 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington
OOC:   Initiative (7)
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:13 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:35 pm
by Priest
Initiative,6d6 1d6 → [4] = (4) 1d6 → [3] = (3) 1d6 → [3] = (3) 1d6 → [4] = (4) 1d6 → [6] = (6) 1d6 → [2] = (2) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4603767/
OOC:   Initiative as follows: Wellington, Raptor, Roxborough, Klevendon and last but not least Nellie. So Wellington has first action  
The long talon still taps as the mouth opens to reveal sharp white teeth. It snaps at the air, and produces a series of three hoarse barks.
It seems to be gathering itself for some action as Wellington...

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:25 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

The detective moves a few steps closer towards the beast, once again pulling out his revolver. Taking those few steps puts him in front of Miss Bly with the light of the lantern behind him, putting himself into a better position to fire his revolver.

Ah he moves his keen analytic brain makes observations "Those claws on its feet look dangerous, obviously what caused the slashing wound that felled the horse behind the pub.. those jaws, no doubt full of needle sharp teeth would be ideally suited to tear and lacerate flesh, obviously a carnivore, some lizard-like qualities." he thinks as he takes up a position to shoot should the creature move nearer.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:34 am
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough turns to face the creature, taking a bead on it's head.
Roxborough thinking:   Yes!, YES! This is what it's all about! Look at that magnificent beast! Oh my I'm sure there's some fine dining to be had from it. Must take a head shot, don't wan't to ruin too much of the flesh.  
Years of experience as one of the finest game hunters of his generation lends an almost zen like calmness to his movements, his breathing stills as he trains his massive rifle on the creatures head.
Priest,how are talents and boosts used?

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:55 pm
by Priest
Papa G,I have added a post in the Rules section about Talents. Your Talents are; [b]Accuracy:[/b] [b]Prerequisites: [/b]None your character can attack with pinpoint accuracy, picking targets out of a crowd, hitting them behind cover, and aiming for their vulnerable spots. [b]Benefit:[/b] Your character makes Called Shots at a re¬duced penalty. He may ignore up to a –2 penalty for tar¬geting a specific location—such as when an opponent is wearing armor, or hiding behind cover. This Talent also reduces penalties for attacking opponents smaller than your character. [b]Normal:[/b] When making a Called Shot to hit a specific target, your character suffers a penalty between –1 and –8, depending on the size of the target area, the amount of cover the opponent has, and other factors. [b]Advanced:[/b] You may buy this Talent up to four times. Your character may ignore an additional –2 Called Shot penalty per Level (e.g., the first purchase allows him to ignore up to a –2 penalty, the second allows up to a –4, and so on). [b]Boosted:[/b] simply gives you Accuracy at advanced. It means your character has purchased an additional level of Accuracy [b]Long Shot:[/b] Allows you to double the range of your weapon. Use Elephant gun ranges x 2 [b]Called Shot[/b] Sometimes your character will want to strike a specific target location, such as an object held in an opponent’s hand, or a weak spot. Conversely, your character may want to avoid hitting something such as a friend grappling with an opponent. Both scenarios require a Called Shot, and the attack roll suffers a number of penalty dice equal to the opponent’s Defense rating or the Size rating of the object being attacked. In your case taking carefull aim at the creatures head will mean a Called Shot. But remeber with the initiative order he may move prior to your fire.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:04 pm
by Priest
The creature snaps wildly at the air, barks once more and launches itself, claws striking flakes from the brick flooring of the tunnel, towards you, Wellington being closest seems to be its target.
By God!, you think, It has a certain swiftness to its actions
OOC:   As Wellington has the Initiative he may open fire. The speed of the creature will allow him three shots from his pistol before the creature is upon him.
Your Attack Rating is 8 dice (character sheet - Firearms 5 + Hvy Pistol 3) this will be compared with the creatures defence rating. You may, of course add Style points to increase the number of dice you roll.  

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Wellington raises his revolver in a fluid and practised motion... trying to follow the loping gait of the creature he fires...
OOC:   Shot 1*
[dice]0[/dice]

Shot 2*
[dice]1[/dice]

Shot 3*
[dice]2[/dice]
*2 style pts per shot added  

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:34 am
by Tabs
Klevendon doesn't know what to do. He flinches at each shot, the tunnel echoing with the bangs. He raises his crowbar and prays fervently that Roxborough will stop the beast.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:22 pm
by Priest
Wellington, showing all the coolness and panache that one would expect from such a foremost detective, fires three shots in rapid succession, despite the obscuring cloud of gunsmoke it appears that all three bullets hit their target.
OOC:   Lee, Please roll 9d6 for damage. Each shot has a damage rating of 3L.  

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:38 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Phew! I was convinced that the first 2 shots at least, were poor. Glad I spent the pts :)

Damage roll
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:35 pm
by Priest
Boom! Boom! Boom!! goes Wellington's pistol and he is rewarded by the sound of bullets hitting flesh. With a scream of pain the creature, at full stretch, crumples into a heap of sliding horror at the bold detctives feet.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:45 pm
by Papa Gateau
Roxborough watches the creature fall to the ground, great lumps of flesh torn from it's body where the bullets have impacted. He approaches slowly, keeping his gun trained on the creature, glancing briefly at Wellington he says under his breath Good shots sir, good shots!
Roxborough thinking:   Damn and blast him! Why couldn't he have shot for the head, there's at least two good cuts ruined!  

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:57 am
by Tabs
"Is it dead?" asks Klevendon.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:35 pm
by Priest
As Roxborough approaches he can tell by the shaky but even movement of the creatures upper body, that it lives yet. To his trained hunters eye it would appear the the creature, though having sustained heavy damage from Wellington's shots is but temporarily rendered unconsious - for how long is anyones guess.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:06 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Wellington lets out a deep breath, even though he was confident of his shooting prowess he hadn't expected all his rapid shots to hit home. Trying to steady his now trembling hand he lowered the pistol so it pointed at the floor. "Good grief! That was close!" he thinks eyeing the monstrosity as it lies on the tunnel floor dark blood oozing from the bullet holes he had sent smashing into its body mixing with the dank water pooled under its body.

He shakes his head to try and clear the ringing in his ears....

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:10 am
by carnage_lee

Nellie closes her mouth, aborting the scream she was about to let out as the creature charged towards the group.

Wellington's quick reactions had stopped the beast in its tracks. She slowly stepped forwards, lantern held high... shedding yellow-tinged light onto the scene...

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:44 am
by Priest
With your ears still ringing somewhat from the firing of the pistol in a confined space. You are, with the aid of Nellies lamp, able to get a better look at the creature that the crackshot pistoleer has brought down.
It appears to be repitloid similar to the creatures that are assumed to have lived on the earth countless years before man.
Klevendon,you may roll [b]Mythology[/b] and I will give you a bonus dice for your membership of the [b]Hollow Earth Society[/b].
It still takes shuddering breaths and muscles in its legs and powerful looking jaws twitch with life. It is most certainly down, but not out. You are all very aware that it could spring back into action at any moment.
It stands about five feet high and if it were not for the teeth and the wicked looking talons that adorn it feet, might not look that fearsome, especially at the moment in its unconscious state.

Roxborough switches his gaze, a begrudgingly impressed gaze, from Wellington to the creature, "Oh well, lets hope too many cuts of meat weren't spoiled" he pulls from his belt a long bladed knife, the kind of knife you might find in the kitchens of a top chef. As he does so his stomach rumbles, in a sound that very closely resembles the purr of a contented kitten. It sounds rudely loud in the tunnel.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:00 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Roll x7: 1336542 code: 4610818  
His face turned away, Klevendon says: "If it's still breathing, you must finish the beast, Mr. Roxborough!"

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:38 pm
by Priest
Klevendon,The creature looks like one of the 'dinosaurs' still believed to exist in the Hollow Earth. You believe it is called a [i]'Clawasaurus'[/i]. But whatever it is it is not a [i]Basilisk[/i] nor given its size did it recently hatch from an egg.
Roxborough lets out a small snort of derision at the obvious fear in his companions voice. Knife in hand he bends to the twitching creature. A short sawing sound followed by a gush of warm blood and he stands back up, his eyes scanning the tunnels roof, "Now if only we can find a place to hang the beast. oh and Klevendon it might be a good idea to keep your eye on the device in case this beast is not alone".
He laughs a merry laugh as he bends and begins to gather the carcass.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:30 am
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Thanks Priest - I should be able to post on a daily basis now but please continue to NPC if I hold anything up  

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:20 pm
by Tabs
After the throat cutting--the sawing and gushing--Klevendon looks at the beast. "I say! gentlemen, lady, it's a dinosaur, a Clawasauros I believe! Certainly not a newly hatched basilisk." He remembers the workmen. "Oh, good God, those poor men . . . there must be more of the beasts!"

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:50 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie quickly looks away as Roxborough administers the coup-de-grace, the loud rasping sound as his knife blade severs tendons and blood-vessels makes her shudder.

Klevendon's revelation as to the origins of the beast makes her open her eyes and cast her gaze back to the grizzly scene. "A.... a dinosaur you say.. but how.. how could it get here....?" she starts to ask before the full impact of what Klevendon had to say registers. "More of them! Goodness no.. Nellie glances fearfully over her shoulder.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:02 pm
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Wellington looks on dispassionately as Roxborough expertly goes about ending the creatures life, before it can regain conciousness.

He nods as Klevendon makes his identification of the dead beast... "Quite so.." he nods. "More of them! I'd hope not! Now let's see if we can make sense of what's been happening... if I can get a good look at the teeth ..." Wellington drops to one knee and he looks intently at the jaws and teeth... can he attribute the attack on the workers in the adjacent tunnel to this creature?

OOC:   Wellington uses his deductive powers... Is their any evidence by way of flesh in/between the Clawasauras' teeth or on its claws? Would the dead creature in front of them been responsible for the demise of the tramp?

Perception (8) [dice]0[/dice]

Investigation (8)[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:25 pm
by Priest
Wellington,A study of both teeth and claws of the dead creture do indeed produce evidence of recent feeding, So you may assume that it is responsible for the attack on the sewer man. Further investigation reveals particles of cloth trapped between several teeth and wrapped tightly around a claw that bears a liking to the suit worn by the tramp. So again it is safe to assume that the creature was responsible for the tramps demise.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:12 am
by carnage_lee
Horatio Wellington

Satisfied with his cursory investigation of the creature he stands briskly and faces the others. "I don't think we have to worry about another attack, not immediately in any case. Evidence suggests that the creature was responsible for the attack on the workmen and for the unfortunate fellow behind us. This section of tunnels was probably the creatures home ground and as such it wouldn't suffer any competition from another creature... However we must assume that there were at least two adult creatures. So we should remain alert." with that the detective snaps open the chamber of his pistol and replaces the three spent cartridges with fresh rounds.

"I propose that Roxborough and I remain here whilst Miss Bly and Mr Klevendon make haste to notify the authorities; locating Inspector Nettles at Scotland Yard would be best... Hawthorne ought to have already been in touch with him. Roxborough and I will locate the path to where the workmen were and if possible we shall render aid to them... speed is of the essence." he looks at his companions in turn. "Are we all agreed?"

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:52 pm
by Priest
OOC:   For the lucky ones who continue the search viewtopic.php?f=286&t=5214
For those who leave the sewers viewtopic.php?f=286&t=5215

I shall, of course leave this topic open temporarily for discussion and planning  

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:44 pm
by Tabs
Klevendon nods his assent. He doesn't speak in case he sounds too relieved to be exiting the sewers. He offers the Stonway up to Wellington or Roxborough.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:20 pm
by carnage_lee
Wellington takes the device, adjusting the harness and quickly familiarising himself with the controls, having observed Klevendon operating it during their hunt.