Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Post by Papa Gateau »

Yes, the usual address is fine
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon returns the wink: "I'm with you, old boy."
OOC:   Priest, you've done a fine job of portraying McTavish--he deserves his own story!  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Tabs wrote:
OOC:   Priest, you've done a fine job of portraying McTavish--he deserves his own story!  
OOC:   Thank you sir. I shall keep him in my back pocket, who knows he may resurface in another tale.  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie tries to hide her wry smile as Klevendon inspects the 'tracking contraption' watching as his dark eyes light up as the machine emits various 'beeps' and 'whirring' noises. She continues her walk about the shop... seeing if anything on the shelves catches her eye, occasionally picking up some piece of kit, briefly examining it before replacing it back onto the shelf or into the box from whence it came.

"I think some kind of stout 'nap-sack' would be invaluable as well as some chalk, for marking the walls... and a first-aid kit... a stout walking stick... waterproof pouches would be very handy too."

Nellie makes her way back to the counter. "Are we all done?" she asks.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

From the sudden intense look that crosses the Scotsman's face it would seem that he is having a hard time keeping up with Nellies sudden burst of item requests.
"Nap-sack, chalk, first aid kit, walking stick and a few waterproof pouches, aye"
For a second or two he eyes the list as if to assure himself of its contents, "What about one o' these new fangled pocket knives? They seem all the rage at the moment"
He produces a red handled pocket knife that seems almost as thick as it is long, festooned with a myriad of blades, tools and other 'useful' appendages, including one that no one knows of a use for but looks as though it might come in handy.

"It is made by a Russian fellow Bergeroff and seems a essential piece of Russian military kit" he smiles "Oh those Russians"
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

"Capital idea Mr McTavish by all means furnish us with one of those... as an officer in the 13th Hussars of my acquaintance is want of saying be prepared. "
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon is very taken with the Stonway Tracking Device, as Nellie notices, the gadget is very pleasing to him. When she mentions "chalk" he adds rhetorically, "To blaze a trail, what?"

"Oh yes, a 'Bergeroff' too."

"The 13th Light Dragoons," says Klevendon, clearly interested, "I knew a chap who was at the 'Charge,' 'Half a league onward' and all that."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   In respect of Dr Ps abscense and to help move thing along a bit  
Wellington takes his large, ornate, but kept to the precise time, pocket watch from his vest pocket and flips it open. For a moment he looks at the time and thoughfully sucks a hollow tooth.
"If we intend to make that inn and quell the beast that lurks with our friend Roxborough's stomach, then we should depart. I take it that we have all we need, or think we need"
With a quizical gaze he peruses the Stonway device that Klevendon clutches to his chest,
"My good man I shall require a pair of those waders if you please"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Klevendon watches Wellington's curiosity, he lowers the Stonway and tones down the avaricious gleam upon his face. "Gentlemen, lady, let us depart."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

With a nod Nellie signifies that she is ready, or as ready as she can ever be. "Thank you for your service Mr McTavish you do indeed run an 'Aladin's cave' for the gentleman adventurer.. everything one could imagine for an expedition." She favours Mc Tavish with a smile before helping to collect a package of their goods and heading out with the others.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Previously Nellie said:   "Thank you for your service Mr McTavish you do indeed run an 'Aladin's cave' for the gentleman adventurer.. everything one could imagine for an expedition."  
At Nellie's words the dour looking Scotsman turns a delicate shade of red, what skin can be seen beyond his gingery growth, the colour clashes with his beard most awfuly.
"Why thank you Miss, come back when ye may, ther will aways be a warm welcome awaiting ye"
He rushes to open the door for you to leave with your purchases.
"Now don't be forgetting the Caruthers and Caruthers motto 'Whatever, wherever, whenever' if you be needing it we can supply it to ye. Gooday to ye all and good hunting"

Wellington gives the Scotsman a bored glance, "Humph!!"
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Outside the shop Klevendon begins to feel more than a little apprehensive. "Don't worry, Miss Bly, I am sure everything will be fine, I mean we have Mr. Roxborough so we shall be as safe as houses!" he says cheerfully, suspecting that Nellie probably doesn't need his reassurance and, no doubt, she will be more effective than he is in the sewers.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At Klevendon's words Roxborough smiles and gently strokes his moustache, "Indeed Mr Klevendon" to Nellie, his smile broadening as he speaks, "Fear not Miss Bly, I have yet to meet a creature that can stand against Matilda" he gives the canvas gun bag a loving pat.

As he walks towards the waiting cab, half concetrating on the filling of his meercham pipe, Wellington coughs, raises one quizical eyebrow and reitterates his earlier 'humph'.
OOC:   At this rate I shall soon be NPCing the entire party, please Tabs and Lee don't leave me :cry:  
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   I wouldn't mind NPC'ing another character for a while. If it'd help?  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

"We should take a room at 'the Kings Head' to serve as out base and as a place to change unto our new clothing. I dare say that there would be a set of 'back stairs' to allow us access to the courtyard out of site of the patrons in the tap room. The poor landlord seemed suitable charmed that if we came up with a story and coin he would be only to pleased to let us have lodgings for a day or two." Nellie grins.. "It's important to have a base, especially one well provisioned, is it not?" Nellie asks of their hunting expert.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Roxborough grins at Nellie: "I'd say! My dear, you're a woman after my own heart."

"Are we going then?" demands Wellington rudely.

Klevendon nods, "A room at the King's Head, a good idea."
OOC:   DrPeterson has gone for the Summer . . . and Papa G. is still around I think.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Previously Roxborough said:   "I'd say! My dear, you're a woman after my own heart."  
At the same moment his stomach also answers with a loud affirming rumble.

Wellington looks at the cab driver and with his pipe firmly clenched between his teeth, mumbles the address of the King's Head, adding, "As fast as you can my good man, before our companion explodes"
OOC:   Thank you both. Lee I would be more than happy if you were to take over NPCing Wellington during Dr P's absence. Papa G tends to come in and out on occasion, but if Tabs would be so kind as to keep him under observation during any hunt it would help imeasurably :)  
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Okay, I'll add actions/comments for Roxborough if Papa G. hasn't posted.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Horatio Wellington

The taciturn detective slumps back in his seat as the carriage moves off, a frown across his brow as he sucks on his pipe. "Do you consider that we are on the trail of not one but two beasts?" he suddenly blurts out, waving his pipe in an animated fashion, smoke following his movements like some demented elemental. "Consider what we know, something hatched and escaped into the sewers from the basement of the Museum, apparently after causing the death of the poor soul tasked with checking on its egg. Then we have an attack behind the Kings Head, one swipe felling a fully grown horse, attacker seemingly to use the sewers. What do we deduce from this, hmm?" he cocks an eyebrow.

"We can deduce that there are two creatures skulking around in the sewers beneath our feet!"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

waving his pipe in an animated fashion, smoke following his movements like some demented elemental.
OOC:   That's a good simile. :)  
"Two beasts?" ponders Klevendon. "I suppose that would explain the apparent supernatural growth of the creature---"

Roxborough interjects: "More than one of 'em? Oh, yes!"

"Oh, no," whispers Klevendon.

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”