OOC

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Re: OOC

Post by DrPeterson »

"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Gentlemen, and Miss Bly, it is my intention to begin proceedings Monday 7th. The rules are simple any problems and I will deal with them as they arise. For either of you that have had experience of the Ubiquity rules before, Hollow Earth Expeditions, the rules are more or less the same.
Until Monday then.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Hooray, see you on monday!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

Okay, looking forward to starting. Don't hesitate to advise me on the rules or point out what Mr. Klevendon and Miss Bly could/should be doing.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

I can't really make out the text on the paper clippings, apart from the headlines that is.

And another question, do we know each other personally?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I did try to enlarge the picture so it could be read easily but I was unable. Enlarging just made bigger gobbledigook. However the headlines should suffice.
Idealy no but given that you are each controlling another character as a NPC, that would seem odd. So for ease sake I would say - yes you do.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I've just had communication from Carnage-Lee requesting that he may join us. As a result I will hold on before Professor Hawthorne attempts to answer your many and varied questions, so that he may enter the fray. :D
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Okay, great news.

Um, I'd hate to miss stuff, info., whatever, because I could be utilising an ability. Can you pass on any tips, like Klevendon should roll "Anthropology" whilst looking at Professor Hawthorne's books.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Tabs wrote:Okay, great news.

Um, I'd hate to miss stuff, info., whatever, because I could be utilising an ability. Can you pass on any tips, like Klevendon should roll "Anthropology" whilst looking at Professor Hawthorne's books.
Fear not I will make sure you miss nothing. Do I take it that you have had a request from Lee?
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yes. I said okay to him playing Nellie.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Excellant then I shall continue.
As far as check and that go. If at any time you want to use a skill or ability, let me know. The Rating number is the number of dice in your pool to this you may spend style points to increase the total of dice if you need to. Providing you have any left that is.
Currently there is little in the Professors office of interest, and you have 3 style points.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Re: Nellie

Post by carnage_lee »

Hi and thanks for letting me into the fold :)

It seems to me that inviting a journalist... and then saying 'please don't repeat anything of what I about to say to the newspapers' is a bit umm.... well daft.

I'd like to suggest that Nellie is either writing a piece on the League that the others are members of or writing a piece on one of the player-characters. Nellie's flaw is honesty.... she won't keep this out of the papers unless she's been engaged on another commission.

Does this make sense / does anyone disagree?

And... whom is Nellie 'writing up' - I think the League as an organisation would be good, maybe for The Stand Magazine?
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Great! Welcome aboard, Lee!
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Skill Check?

Post by carnage_lee »

Priest wrote: OOC: Please look to your Character Sheets and if you wish at any time to employ a skill please advise me and we’ll run through it.
OK, I thought I might be taking a chance saying that Nellie thought the Professor was being sincere... could or should Nellie have used Con (in a reverse capacity) to try to realise that she (and indeed the others) are being misled?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I hadn't actualy thought of using skills in their reverse way. but it is an idea for the future. What I was getting at was for instance if someone wanted to use investigation on the basement door then we could use it as a way of seeing how the skill system works.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Gotcha ;)

Well I shall be happy to oblige....

I've edited Nellie's post - stating she's 'investigating the door'....
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Re: Dragons of London

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC:
Let's try this out.

Roxborough will stick with his average of 3 successes, which should be sufficient, right?

Wellington would have used his perception average upon his first inspection of the room (4 successes on average) and will use his investigation average on the egg, so that's 4+1, which amounts to 4 successes, since I rolled a 1:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4252449/

Am I correct?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

No, you are not.
Wellingtons Perception is 8 (6 + 2 from the Alertness Talent). The average would be 4.
So he is garaunteed four successes which may or may not be enough, the more successes the better the chances of gaining information.
If you decide four successes is insufficient you may but I more success per style point spent.
You only roll if you decide to ignore the average and hope for a higher than average success. However the flip side is you could end up with less successes from unlucky dice rolls.
If you decide to roll then you would roll 8 dice (it doesn't matter what falvor of dice you use, since only even number results are counted as successes.
For example: 8d6 are rolled
1d6 → [3] = (3)
1d6 → [6] = (6)
1d6 → [1] = (1)
1d6 → [5] = (5)
1d6 → [5] = (5)
1d6 → [1] = (1)
1d6 → [4] = (4)
1d6 → [1] = (1)
Of these only the even numbers are successes, so you would have only 2 successes to be compared against the TN. So in this case taking the average would have been the sensible move as you would have been garaunteed 4 successes. Which could have been increased by use of Style points. Of course if you'd chosen to roll you would have had to declare style point use before hand.
Understand?
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC: I thought that was what I said :D

I only rolled one die for the average of his investigation skill, which is 4+1. It said I had to roll to determine if the average ends up a 4 or 5.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

DrPeterson wrote:OOC: I thought that was what I said :D

I only rolled one die for the average of his investigation skill, which is 4+1. It said I had to roll to determine if the average ends up a 4 or 5.
OOC: Whoops, my bad I misread what you wrote :oops:
- Anais Nin

Return to “Leagues of Adventure”