Page 1 of 1

OOC

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:50 am
by Priest
Okay just a try out of the Ubiquity System really although it may form the start of a 'gaslight/steampunkish/explorerish' type set of adventures.
There are pregens available, so at this stage for a 'one shot' adventure there is no character generation to worry about. The system is based on the Ubiquity System from Exile Games Studio with adaptions by Triple Ace Games.
A simple system with, I feel, great possibilities. What we get here is a 'taster' for 'Leagues of Adventure', as they say just enough rules to play the scenario. The scenario being one of two possibles, 'The Plateau of the Apemen' or 'The Dragons of London' the exact scenario is yet to be decided.
The characters are;
Big Game Hunter
Consulting Detective
Hard Working Reporter (Female)
Explorer
Crackpot Antiquarian
Pioneering Aviatrix (Female)

So far DrPeterson has nabbed the Consulting Detective, Tabs the Crackpot antiquarian.

The Ubiquity System (on the back of a postage stamp)

Leagues of Adventure is a roleplaying game set in the late Victorian Age. Its larger-than-life heroes and villains and continuing adventures are powered by Ubiquity, an innovative game system that emphasizes storytelling and cinematic action. The Ubiquity system provides you with the tools and flexibility to play the kind of game you and your group want to play.
Dice
Unlike most other roleplaying games, Ubiquity does not use a specific type of dice. Any die will work, as long as it has an even number of sides. When making an Attribute or Skill check, roll a number of dice equal to the dice pool and count up the number of even numbers used. This total is the number of successes rolled. Odd numbers do not subtract from the number of successes.
Example: Rolling seven dice give a result of 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8, and 11. Tally up the even- numbered dice (4, 8, and 8) for a result of three successes. (I have tried this out on Invisible Castle and the dice roller handles it okay)
Dice Rolls
Dice rolls are made by rolling a number of dice equal to the appropriate Skill or Attribute rating, and counting the successes. If the player gets successes equal to or more than the Difficulty of the task, she succeeds. Weapon, equipment, and situational modifiers may increase or decrease the number of dice rolled.
Taking the Average
If a character’s average skill rating is greater than or equal to the Difficulty rating, the player may choose not to roll the dice and automatically succeed instead.
Players may not Take the Average during combat, or in stressful situations (as determined by the Gamemaster). On the other hand, the Gamemaster may choose to Take the Average for non-player characters’ dice rolls in order to speed up combat. If a Skill or Attribute rating is listed with a “+” sign, the character rolls a single die. A success adds one to the average rating, a failure does not.

(adapted from Plateau of the Ape Men & The Dragons of London)

Further rule explanation will be forthcoming in due time.
So, 'roll up, roll up, join the adventure of a lifetime!!' (first come, first served)

Re: OOC

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:40 am
by Tabs
Put me down for the Crackpot Antiquarian.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 am
by Priest
Tabs wrote:Put me down for the Crackpot Antiquarian.
All yours characther details pmed to you.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:59 pm
by DrPeterson
A detective and an antiquarian, good times abound!

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 pm
by Priest
Gentlemen please feel free to supply your respective characters a suitable name.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:45 pm
by Priest
A little more introduction blurb;

Leagues of Adventure is a roleplaying game set in the late Victorian Age. It follows the grand traditions of fiction such as H. G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds, The Island of Doctor Moreau, and The Time Machine, Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan series, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Lost World and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne’s Around the World in Eighty Days, Five Weeks in a Balloon, and The Adventures of Captain Hatteras, Rudyard Kipling’s The Man Who Would Be King, and H. Rider Haggard’s King Solomon’s Mines and She—works which laid the foundations for the later pulp and steampunk genres.
In many regards Leagues of Adventure follows the tradition of the pulp genre, albeit set in an earlier era. It is a world where much is happening:
* While a large portion of the globe has been mapped, brave explorers and adventures are pushing back the re¬maining boundaries, venturing into previously unchart¬ed regions and making contact with cultures previously unknown to the Western world.
* Colonial officers rule over much of the known world in the name of foreign governments. The colonial pow¬ers’ lust for new resources and markets has led to "the Great Game," intense political maneuvering between the Great Powers of the day. While diplomats and viceroys work in the open, spies foment dissension and try to uncover their rivals’ secrets.
* Weird scientists are at the front of a technological revolution. Despite these advances, science is matched by a rise in occultism and spiritualism. Magic may be dead, but men and women have become fascinated with the hereafter.
* Treasure hunters and antiquarians are discover¬ing not only lost tombs, but entire lost cities, ruins unexplored for centuries or even millennia. Some crave knowledge of these bygone days, while others seek to plunder fabulous treasures.
* Scientists of all disciplines are making new discover¬ies about our natural world and the heavens beyond.
It is a time of adventure and exploration, of wonder and amazement, of science and the occult, and of the dark days of colonial oppression.
So, the question arises: what exactly is Leagues of Adventure? Is it a gritty steam-pulp game where the characters stand in the way of automatons bristling with gears and gadgets, villainously set upon the destruction of London? Is it a pulp action game set in exotic locales, where they meet and handily defeat savage warriors before sitting down to afternoon tea and discussing the damnable heat? Or is it a highly cinematic one in which the characters swing single-handedly from the underside of an early airship whilst bare-knuckle boxing ptero¬dactyls over a lost plateau on which stands a pyramid built by some unknown civilization ... or something else entirely different?
Truth be told, it is all of these, and whatever else you want it to be! This book is not a stone tablet, into which are chiseled firm rules and set ways of playing the game. There is no right or wrong way to use Leagues of Adventure, and it is flexible enough to cope with any roleplaying style.
Whatever drives your character, there’s a world packed with danger, excitement, and mystery out there just waiting to be explored!

Hurrah, dering do, adventure and a splendid cup of tea!!

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:31 pm
by DrPeterson
Hooray and hip hip for this dashing heap of pulp!
And damn that blasted heat!

I shall be giving voice to Horatio George Wellington, daring detective, supreme sleuth and brilliant brainbox!

In such a brilliant adventure, where would we be without the equally amazing Peter Cushing?

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm
by DrPeterson
I'm loving this more by the minute! They even based their drawing of the detective on Cushing! :D

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:56 pm
by Priest
If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion in the hope of attracting at least one more participant, the Explorer, Big Game Hunter or Diligent Reporter (Female) are recommended.

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 am
by Tabs
Arthur Cecil Klevendon

Image[/URL]

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:59 am
by Priest
Gentlemen.
As players willing to try this system seem rarer than Dodo eggs, I am considering going with two main characters (yours) and two NPCs which you will also have control of untill (hopefully) new players are forthcoming.
If you are interested in the idea please signify by tapping your wine glasses with your dinner knives in a polite and seemly manner.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:48 am
by DrPeterson
Hear, hear!

I happen to have a very good friend who is staying in London at the moment. He was injured in the East Indies, but there's no keener shot and no better doctor!

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:47 am
by Priest
Alas there is no pregen doctor. However, I will study those that remain and see if I can alter one to suit.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:36 am
by DrPeterson
Oh no, don't worry about that. I'll take the Big Game Hunter, or the Explorer if Tabs prefers the BGH.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:17 pm
by Tabs
How about the lady reporter as well for me?

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:28 pm
by Priest
Perfect I'll set them up. Big Game Hunter and the Hard Working Reporter.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:22 pm
by Priest
Gentlemen, fellow members of the Leagues of Adventure society, I present to you your fellow companions.
Firstly a young woman of outstanding prominence in the field of journalism, Miss Nellie Bly, of the Fernley Bly's.
Now I realize having females is not to the taste of some of our more ‘venerable’ members, but we must move with the times and Miss Bly, I am sure, will prove a most valuable asset in any forthcoming adventure.
And next, but by no means least, may I also crave your further indulgence and introduce to you the Right Honourable Peter Roxborough, son of Lord Roxborough a long standing member of this society. Well I say “long standing” and so he was until a blasted lion ate one of his legs during a recent expedition to Kenya.
(Full character details may be found on the Characters topic)

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:54 pm
by Tabs
Miss Amelia Watson is now Nellie Bly

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:16 pm
by DrPeterson
My my, that is a sassy Victorian dame! Rawr!

The right honourable Peter Roxborough will be portrayed by the redoubtable Robert Peck.

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:35 pm
by Tabs
DrPeterson wrote:My my, that is a sassy Victorian dame! Rawr!
From what I briefly read about Nellie Bly, she's the type of gal who'd take no shines from a man. . . .

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 pm
by DrPeterson

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 pm
by Priest
Gentlemen, and Miss Bly, it is my intention to begin proceedings Monday 7th. The rules are simple any problems and I will deal with them as they arise. For either of you that have had experience of the Ubiquity rules before, Hollow Earth Expeditions, the rules are more or less the same.
Until Monday then.

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:20 am
by DrPeterson
Hooray, see you on monday!

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:57 am
by Tabs
Okay, looking forward to starting. Don't hesitate to advise me on the rules or point out what Mr. Klevendon and Miss Bly could/should be doing.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:14 pm
by DrPeterson
I can't really make out the text on the paper clippings, apart from the headlines that is.

And another question, do we know each other personally?

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:28 pm
by Priest
I did try to enlarge the picture so it could be read easily but I was unable. Enlarging just made bigger gobbledigook. However the headlines should suffice.
Idealy no but given that you are each controlling another character as a NPC, that would seem odd. So for ease sake I would say - yes you do.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:41 am
by Priest
I've just had communication from Carnage-Lee requesting that he may join us. As a result I will hold on before Professor Hawthorne attempts to answer your many and varied questions, so that he may enter the fray. :D

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:07 pm
by Tabs
Okay, great news.

Um, I'd hate to miss stuff, info., whatever, because I could be utilising an ability. Can you pass on any tips, like Klevendon should roll "Anthropology" whilst looking at Professor Hawthorne's books.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:18 pm
by Priest
Tabs wrote:Okay, great news.

Um, I'd hate to miss stuff, info., whatever, because I could be utilising an ability. Can you pass on any tips, like Klevendon should roll "Anthropology" whilst looking at Professor Hawthorne's books.
Fear not I will make sure you miss nothing. Do I take it that you have had a request from Lee?

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:29 pm
by Tabs
Yes. I said okay to him playing Nellie.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:35 pm
by Priest
Excellant then I shall continue.
As far as check and that go. If at any time you want to use a skill or ability, let me know. The Rating number is the number of dice in your pool to this you may spend style points to increase the total of dice if you need to. Providing you have any left that is.
Currently there is little in the Professors office of interest, and you have 3 style points.

Re: Nellie

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:42 pm
by carnage_lee
Hi and thanks for letting me into the fold :)

It seems to me that inviting a journalist... and then saying 'please don't repeat anything of what I about to say to the newspapers' is a bit umm.... well daft.

I'd like to suggest that Nellie is either writing a piece on the League that the others are members of or writing a piece on one of the player-characters. Nellie's flaw is honesty.... she won't keep this out of the papers unless she's been engaged on another commission.

Does this make sense / does anyone disagree?

And... whom is Nellie 'writing up' - I think the League as an organisation would be good, maybe for The Stand Magazine?

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:47 pm
by DrPeterson
Great! Welcome aboard, Lee!

Skill Check?

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:16 pm
by carnage_lee
Priest wrote: OOC: Please look to your Character Sheets and if you wish at any time to employ a skill please advise me and we’ll run through it.
OK, I thought I might be taking a chance saying that Nellie thought the Professor was being sincere... could or should Nellie have used Con (in a reverse capacity) to try to realise that she (and indeed the others) are being misled?

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:33 pm
by Priest
I hadn't actualy thought of using skills in their reverse way. but it is an idea for the future. What I was getting at was for instance if someone wanted to use investigation on the basement door then we could use it as a way of seeing how the skill system works.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:39 pm
by carnage_lee
Gotcha ;)

Well I shall be happy to oblige....

I've edited Nellie's post - stating she's 'investigating the door'....

Re: Dragons of London

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:28 am
by DrPeterson
OOC:
Let's try this out.

Roxborough will stick with his average of 3 successes, which should be sufficient, right?

Wellington would have used his perception average upon his first inspection of the room (4 successes on average) and will use his investigation average on the egg, so that's 4+1, which amounts to 4 successes, since I rolled a 1:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4252449/

Am I correct?

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:02 pm
by Priest
No, you are not.
Wellingtons Perception is 8 (6 + 2 from the Alertness Talent). The average would be 4.
So he is garaunteed four successes which may or may not be enough, the more successes the better the chances of gaining information.
If you decide four successes is insufficient you may but I more success per style point spent.
You only roll if you decide to ignore the average and hope for a higher than average success. However the flip side is you could end up with less successes from unlucky dice rolls.
If you decide to roll then you would roll 8 dice (it doesn't matter what falvor of dice you use, since only even number results are counted as successes.
For example: 8d6 are rolled
1d6 → [3] = (3)
1d6 → [6] = (6)
1d6 → [1] = (1)
1d6 → [5] = (5)
1d6 → [5] = (5)
1d6 → [1] = (1)
1d6 → [4] = (4)
1d6 → [1] = (1)
Of these only the even numbers are successes, so you would have only 2 successes to be compared against the TN. So in this case taking the average would have been the sensible move as you would have been garaunteed 4 successes. Which could have been increased by use of Style points. Of course if you'd chosen to roll you would have had to declare style point use before hand.
Understand?

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm
by DrPeterson
OOC: I thought that was what I said :D

I only rolled one die for the average of his investigation skill, which is 4+1. It said I had to roll to determine if the average ends up a 4 or 5.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:14 pm
by Priest
DrPeterson wrote:OOC: I thought that was what I said :D

I only rolled one die for the average of his investigation skill, which is 4+1. It said I had to roll to determine if the average ends up a 4 or 5.
OOC: Whoops, my bad I misread what you wrote :oops:

Things to ask...

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:12 am
by carnage_lee
Firstly, I am really enjoying this game :)

Secondly, there are few things that I think we need (as an group) to ask/obtain/know. These things have occurred to me; but maybe Nellie wouldn't realise to ask them.

1) we need to establish a time-line, when was the assistant last seen alive, etc
1a) work out if the events we are currently investigating are linked to anything else (as per the newspaper clippings). From what I've (re-)read of Hawthorne's opening speach, the 'monster in the courtyard' occured before the hatching (well the body of the assistant was discovered yesterday) hence needign to pin times down as much as possible.

2) someone ought to point out that the Professor is guilty of obstruction of justice.... or more probably failure to report a death - something that we as a group are fast becoming accomplices to.

3) someone sent the egg to Hawthorne (if indeed that is what happened) like suspects are the members of the club where he made the remark about the Basilisk.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:29 am
by DrPeterson
I second that first remark!

I concur with most of your points, but I suggest we keep them for the wrap up of this scene, when we're back in the professor's office, for example.

Not that my character is a copy of Sherlock or anything (ahum), but a certain Holmesian reveal might force itself then ;)

If we don't cover these subjects before that point, of course.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 am
by carnage_lee
DrPeterson wrote: I concur with most of your points, but I suggest we keep them for the wrap up of this scene, when we're back in the professor's office, for example.
I agree - we should at least get the probable time of death (and therefore hatching) before we leave the Museum.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 am
by carnage_lee
Hi all,

I've just added the OOC BBCode
OOC:   It will automatically make whatever you type RED and add OOC to the beginning.  

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 am
by Priest
OOC:   Thanks Lee.  

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:37 am
by DrPeterson

Code: Select all

OOC: Testing

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am
by DrPeterson
How do I use it? :)

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:50 am
by carnage_lee
DrPeterson wrote:How do I use it? :)
There's a new BBCode button above the posting form 'ooc' - if you click that it'll insert :

[ooc][/ooc]
into your post.

Type any OOC stuff between the tags.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:27 pm
by DrPeterson
Cheers, Lee, you're the best!

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:33 pm
by carnage_lee
Can I quote you on that?

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:47 pm
by carnage_lee
I've created a new BBCode.... To indicate character thoughts.

The tag takes two pieces of info: 1) the characters name 2) the actual thoughts - separated by a comma. This ads a box with the characters thoughts all rendered in green (which seems to be the norm for thoughts).

For example:

[ic-think]Nellie,'What if the egg contained some toxic substance and reacting over time with the heat from the steam-pipes or perhaps some other mechanism casing the egg to 'hatch' breaking and then exposing the deadly poison to fill the room, killing the Professor's assistant. And if so was this some kind of assassination attempt...' Nellie's mind raced ahead.[/ic-think]
Will look like:
Nellie thinking:   'What if the egg contained some toxic substance and reacting over time with the heat from the steam-pipes or perhaps some other mechanism casing the egg to 'hatch' breaking and then exposing the deadly poison to fill the room, killing the Professor's assistant. And if so was this some kind of assassination attempt...' Nellie's mind raced ahead.  
The wording 'thinking: ' after the name is added automatically.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 pm
by DrPeterson
DrPeterson wrote:Cheers, Lee, you're the best!
carnage_lee wrote:Can I quote you on that?!

I know I just did. ;)

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:19 pm
by Priest
Lee sir, you are most assuredly a gentleman and a scholar!! :D

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:28 pm
by Priest
I have had a request from Papa Gateaux to join this august company. He has indicated that he would like to play Roxborough the Big Game Hunter. I have, of course, advised him that said Roxborough is at present under the guidance of the redoubtable Dr.Peterson and advised him to contact the good Dr.P for his answer.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:48 pm
by Priest
Gentlemen and Miss Bly, we have a new new player joinining your goodselves. Papa Gateau will henceforth be taking the part of the right honourable Roxborough previously voiced by the redoubtable Dr. Peterson.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 pm
by DrPeterson
Three cheers for Papa Gateau!

Hip hip!

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:41 pm
by DrPeterson
I randomly came across this today:
http://humansarefree.com/2011/05/hollow ... PkHab.gbpl

The wonders of Facebook and all that.

Might be something fun for Klevendon's club.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 am
by carnage_lee
DrPeterson wrote:Three cheers for Papa Gateau!

Hip hip!
Hooray!

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm
by Priest
DrPeterson wrote:I randomly came across this today:
http://humansarefree.com/2011/05/hollow ... PkHab.gbpl

The wonders of Facebook and all that.

Might be something fun for Klevendon's club.
Actualy that's a bloody usefull resource. Well done that man :D

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:32 pm
by DrPeterson
Much obliged.

Next Moves?

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:46 pm
by carnage_lee
I think we got quite a bit of info do far; now we need some more...

Moving on to the King's Head seems like the next move; take a spot of luncheon and have a nose about.

After that we could split up? One lot going on to the Zoo to see if there's anything of any import about the dead horse (and is a cabby actually missing?). The second group heading over to Hawthorne's club (where they may not even allow Nellie inside).

Allowing for possible travel times (by hansom) we ought to be able to get to the King's Head by noon(ish), eat and poke about (say an hour (unless anything untoward or urgent crops up)) - then splitting up and arranging to meet later at (somewhere) to then agree the next steps.

Oh and someone needs to do some research into Basilisks ... the Venerable Bede is a good starting point ;)

This is just my OOC summation of where we are at and where we could go next. As always YMMV

And we need to see the crate the egg arrived in ;)

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:59 pm
by DrPeterson
YMMV: Your Mi-Go may vary?

I think that's a good summation. I was thinking of having Klevendon and Wellington go to the club and Bly and Roxborough do the more animalistic section.
But we'll discuss this over a spot of luncheon, shan't we? ;)

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm
by carnage_lee
DrPeterson wrote:YMMV: Your Mi-Go may vary?
Or Your Mythos Monster Vanishes

Or Yig Means More Victims

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:43 am
by Tabs
Hi to Papa Gateau.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:02 pm
by DrPeterson
Welcome aboard, Papa!

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 am
by carnage_lee
Welcome to the game Papa, hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)

Inspector Nettles... would that be John Nettles by any chance?

:lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 am
by DrPeterson
I thought Bergerac would have been too obvious :D

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:31 am
by Papa Gateau
Hello all. I was hoping to be upto speed yesterday but I spent the weekend in bed with a filthy cold and dosed up with night nurse.

I've now read the first chapter and am ready to take the on the rambunctious Roxborough - many thanks Dr.P for his being his caretaker throughout chapter 1.

Right - I feel a large meat platter or two is in order!

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:56 pm
by Priest
Firstly, welcome Papa G I hope you find this little game as enjoyable as we all seem to be.

Secondly, I shall be absent from Sunday 27th to Friday 1st (Family stuff) I shall however have my rather pathetic tablet with me so shall endeavour to keep up. :D

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:08 pm
by carnage_lee
Quick spot of help/clarification please, oh marvellous Keeper...

Nellie has the skill Con, in the rules it says that the character can specialise in Bluff, Fast Talk, Lying, Tricks or Seduction. There's no separate note on the character sheet - should there be a specialisation?

Assuming there should be and not wanting to just choose the most advantageous for the current situation I shall roll 1d10

1-2 = Bluff
3-4 = Fast Talk
5-6 = Lying
7-8 = Tricks
9-10 = Seduction

[dice]0[/dice]

So that'd be Fast Talk?

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 pm
by Priest
I think that it is a matter of the core rules versus the rules light introduction here.
In the introduction scenario they only give basic rules, so specialisations are only used on certain characters sheets. I think off the top of my head The detective gets one for his Investigation skill (Crimes) but I will take a look at the rule in the core book and as long as it doesn't overbalance the scenario I see no reason not to introduce it.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:23 pm
by Priest
Further to your question about specilisations Lee.
As I thought there is no mention of them in the introductory pack. However they would not unbalance the scenario if anything they enhance it so we shall be using them.

Skill Specializations
Skills cover a broad range of topics and activities, but you may choose to have your character specialize in a specific aspect of a Skill. A Skill Specialization represents a specific topic, activity, or item that your character is par¬ticularly familiar with. For example, your character may be better with pistols or rifles than with other firearms. Whenever your character’s Specialization applies to the action being taken, you receive a bonus die to your Skill roll. You must have at least one Skill Level in a Skill to specialize in it, and you may not purchase more than one Specialization in a particular Skill during character creation.
There are countless different Skill Specializations for each Skill; the ones most common to Leagues of Adventure are listed below. Feel free to come up with your own Spe¬cializations, but be sure to get Gamemaster approval first.
(From the core rules)

Specialisations
Nellie:
Con – seduction 8/4
Streetwise – Rumours 7/3+

Klevendon
Anthropology – mythology 6/3
Linguistics – deciphering 7/3+

Wellington:
Investigation – crimes 9/4+
Stealth – shadowing 6/3

Roxborough:
Firearms – rifles 8/4
Survival – tracking 6/3

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:52 pm
by Priest
I shall be away from my computer from Monday to Friday next week. However I shall have my tablet so will, if the gods favour me, stay in contact although in a limited form.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 am
by DrPeterson
Enjoy your trip, Priest!

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:54 pm
by DrPeterson
A nice sirloin of cheval with a green pepper sauce and perhaps a bottle of Chinon. Hmm yes, definitely time to go and pay Le Blanc's a visit!
Well that got me salivating.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:52 am
by Papa Gateau
:D

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:00 am
by DrPeterson
I'll be gone till Monday.
Feel free to npc my character should the need arise.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:59 am
by Priest
Hurrah I'm home once more. Tablet was a waste of time, sorry chaps. Will update later today. :D

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 am
by carnage_lee
A point I'd like to clarify please....

The 'animal dung' in the alley.... is it fair to say that every denizen of Victorian England would be familiar with regular equine dung? To my mind this makes perfect sense... in that case is it recognizable as such - without a roll of some kind? What I am trying to say is... do we (our character) recognize it as such?

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:11 pm
by Priest
Good point, and one I overlooked. You are absolutely right you would be familiar with different kinds of faeces, horse definately.
It is only a small quatity but not particular to any species you have ever seen, of course investigation may give more information.
Just dont do a Holmes and taste it :D

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 pm
by carnage_lee
Thanks; I was pretty sure that was the case...

Taste it... the very idea!

Reminds me of that old joke...

Two hikers walk across a field, one stops the other as he's about to put his boot onto a suspicious mound.
"Careful.. that looks like a cow pat" and drops to his knees, dips an index finger into the mess and sniffs, "smells like a cow pat", licks his finger "tastes like a cow pat.... good job you didn't tread in it."

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 pm
by Tabs
Good joke--raised a smile.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:57 pm
by Priest
I finally managed to copy the newspaper report on the 'Vanishing Cabbie' story. Since you came into possession of this article your knowledge has changed somewhat. For instance you know that much of the article is a fiction created to misdirect public fears.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:09 pm
by carnage_lee
Thanks for posting that, very helpful.... no really it is, honest.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:26 pm
by Priest
Style points available to spend have been updated for Act III. Please don't forget they can be used, however saving them for critical situations is not a bad idea.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:06 pm
by carnage_lee
Thanks very much, shall be saving mine for the 'avoiding going into the sewers roll' :))

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:31 pm
by Priest
carnage_lee wrote:Thanks very much, shall be saving mine for the 'avoiding going into the sewers roll' :))
Now, now that's hardly cricket old chap. Stiff upper and all that. :D

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 pm
by Priest
http://www.victorianlondon.org/pocketatlas/mapper.htm

You will find a good map of London here. Circa 1895, easy to use and well detailed.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:36 am
by Papa Gateau
I'm on hunting trip for Santa in Lapland with my kids tomorrow (Thu) - I'll be back Wednesday (11th). I'll have my ipad with me but I'm not sure what connectivity I'll have.

NPC my character as necessary.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:25 pm
by Priest
Okay Papa, have a good time.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:16 pm
by Tabs
Nice photo of Fleet Street. I like photos!

Colonel Otto Von Uberhausen: who is he?

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:37 pm
by Priest
Yeah I like old photos too.
Otto was the character I got ready when someone else said they wanted to join in, then changed their minds. So Otto Von Uberhausen is forever destined to be nothing more than a name.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:00 pm
by Papa Gateau
I'm back

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:25 am
by Priest
Merry Christmas to us, each and everyone. Huzzah!

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:16 pm
by carnage_lee
Seasons Greetings to all!
I hope we're all on the 'good list'

HO HO HO

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:19 pm
by Tabs
Hi, just dropped in to say that I've caught a stinking cold, which is the reason why I'm not posting.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:05 pm
by DrPeterson
Bleh, get well!

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:05 pm
by Papa Gateau
Sorry, I've been away and busy - I need to read the Cerebral Activities thread to catch up and then I'm back in play. I'll try and get to it tonight.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:07 pm
by DrPeterson
I'll be gone till Thursday! Have fun and please feel free to play Wellington in my absence.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:32 am
by Priest
DrPeterson wrote:I'll be gone till Thursday! Have fun and please feel free to play Wellington in my absence.
No problem. Whatever it is, have a good time (if that's appropriate) :D

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:22 pm
by DrPeterson
It sure was!

We went hiking in the Ardennes, looking at caves and wildlife and eating the latter.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 am
by Priest
House move on Thursday 13th. I will be without the computer for several days until BT get the line sorted. Once that's done the adventure will continue, until then - talk amongst yourselves :D

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 pm
by Tabs
DrPeterson wrote:It sure was!

We went hiking in the Ardennes, looking at caves and wildlife and eating the latter.
What, squirrels and badgers? I always imagined the Ardennes to be flat land with woods, no caves.

House move: more bedrooms?

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:22 am
by DrPeterson
The Ardennes are an old mountain ranged formed during the Hercynean orogenic phase. Due to the fact that they're around 200 million years old, they've flattend out a bit ;)

But there's badgers, boar, lynxes, all manner of owls, reindeer, red deer, aurochs, bears, wild cats, prezwalski horses, wolves, bison, you name it.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:07 pm
by Tabs
Bears and wolves. You didn't camp, did you?

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:39 am
by DrPeterson
No, we didn't :)

But I must admit that the megafauna isn't as abundant as might be implied by the above statement. Those creatures were all in the wildlife preserve we visited. :)

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:09 pm
by Priest
Previously Tabs said:   House move: more bedrooms?  
Fraid not old chap, fewer in fact. We have as they say "downsized". Far from easy like trying to fit a pair of wellies in a shoebox made for slippers. :D
Game will proceed once I uncover the box with the scenario in. :?

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:22 am
by Papa Gateau
hey all - I should be around a little more often and able to post more. I have an injured back and have been in and out of hospital and on morphine.

If I go quiet on you without prior warning please feel free to move things along with Roxbourough as neceessary.

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:22 am
by DrPeterson
Good health to you, Papa G.!

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:50 pm
by carnage_lee
Sorry to hear that Papa G, hope you feel better soon! Don't worry about Roxy.... he's got a huuuuuge gun, so what can go wrong?

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:38 pm
by Priest
Get better soon! and as Lee says "Don't worry about Roxy.... he's got a huuuuuge gun, so what can go wrong?" However I'll take the liberty of adding an evil laugh.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:49 pm
by Papa Gateau
I'm away on holiday with my kids until the 26th. I'll have my laptop with me but will probably only post once a day, though I'll try and check in more often if I can.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:38 pm
by Papa Gateau
Hi all

I'm going into hospital tomorrow for major surgery to my back.

I'm told that they have wi-fi in the hospital but I probably won't be able to post again until Sunday - but that will be dependant on the type of post-operative pain-care I'm on. I'm sure any posting I make whilst doped up on morphine will be interesting if not actually relevant to the storyline.

See you on the other side.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:52 pm
by carnage_lee
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Papa G

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm
by Priest
Come back soon. Best wishes.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:29 pm
by Tabs
I wish you luck!

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:48 pm
by Priest
Apologies all. We've had a sudden rash of inlaws so computer time has been limited. Will try and update tonight, if not will do tomorrow :cry:

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 pm
by Papa Gateau
Ugh! I feel your pain - nothing worse than infestation of inlaws! :D

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:50 pm
by Papa Gateau
Hey Priest - you ok fella? I think we're waiting on you...

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:07 pm
by carnage_lee
I sent our awesome Keeper a PM the other day... come back we miss you!

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:36 pm
by Priest
Apologies chaps. Been away, back now will get right on it :D

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:26 pm
by Papa Gateau
I've really enjoyed this - it's been good fun.

Definitely count me in (with Roxborough) if/when you run the sequel.

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:51 am
by carnage_lee
Thanks for running this Andy! I thoroughly enjoyed the game, you did an excellent job of running this and helped bring everything to life (in my head).

The scenario broke down well into discrete sections and every part had a clear defined goal (even if we didn't realise it right away) - I particularly enjoyed some of the earlier scenes, with the visit to the 'King's Head' and the 'hunt in the sewers' providing some stand out moments. The latter scenes were a trifle 'rail-roaded' but (as I now know ) the scenario was written as an introduction to the game and very suited to 'convention-play' so it's written to finish fast. You managed the scenes where the characters split up superbly - something that isn't easy to manage in a pbp game.

The cast of characters were nicely realised and there was some excellent role-playing all round and I look forward to adventuring in the 'Leagues of Adventure' universe again.

Thanks everyone for making this a game to remember!

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:53 am
by Papa Gateau
^^^^^^^^^ What he said :D

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:20 pm
by Priest
Thanks all for playing. A RPG is only as good as the players, and everyone excelled at giving the characters life.
It was not the easiest scenario I have tried to run, and was, as Lee said a bit, railroady. But in the scenarios defence it was intended as an introduction to LOA, and supposed to be playable in four hours, ha! - it lasted a trifle longer than that.

I learned a lot about the 'Ubiquity System' and must say that for the most part I was impressed. Impressed enough to consider moving on to the first of their proper scenarios 'Dreaming Spires - Scenario One of the Great Game Campaign' at some stage. Those who chooses to continue with the characters from 'Dragons..' will be more than welcome to do so. However should knew players wish to join in or should old ones wish to create their own, they will be welcome also.
If Lee should wish to continue with either Wellington or Nellie it is his choice.

Again my thanks to all for making the 'Dragons of London' such an enjoyable game :D