IC: Ch 11: Where did we fail

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: IC: Ch 11: Where did we fail

Post by BenTheRat »

As you open the old book, you can see it has not aged well. Many of the pages appear to be cracking and crumbling.
As you turn the 1st page it appears to be an astrology chart.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Scott detached himself from a wall against which he has been leaning as he listened to the conversation.
"Excuse me Sir. But if this knife, the pognus or whatever you called it, is so vital to this Hastur character, isn't there some way we can hide it somewhere safe where he wont find it?"

Scott wasn't sure he was comfortable with all this talk of child sacrifice , let alone the idea that people could come back from the dead.

He had seen things tonight that went far beyond a simple desire to experience a haunted house, and wasn't too keen to experience any more.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"I understand the thought. But if the 2 are connected like I think they are, I doubt there is a place we can hide it, that he will not eventually find it. My experience has taught me, that evil things do not like to stay buried forever." He put out his cigar and got out a pipe to start packing it with tobacco.
"And even if we can hide the dagger, who will stop Corbitt when he gets out of the inferno basement and starts rampaging though town to find the dagger. From my recollection of this shield spell written about in the book, the man lived forever. So hundreds of years after we have turned to dust, Corbitt would still be walking the Earth in search for the dagger and another alignment of the stars in which to summon the King in Yellow. No, we must stop him now."
Dr. Chambers cups his hand over his pipe and lights it. The sweet fragrance from the pipe masking the harsher smell of the cigar smoke in the room.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Harrison,move to this thread [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=283&t=5082]here.[/url]
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard chimes in again "Is there anything we can do to help right now or should we try to get some sleep somewhere?"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Well you are welcome to try the couch here, but I have no bed rooms here." said Dr. Chambers. "We could try and figure out what this other book is."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Scott peers over Jordie's shoulder at the mouldering page from the book, he shrugs, "Looks like some kind of chart" he says stating the obvious, "But looking at the state of the paper, very old".

"Anyone understand this astrology stuff?"

To Richard he says, "You can sleep? With that thing from the basement probably out there looking for us I aint sure I'll ever sleep again". Nervousness makes him want to check his pistol again as if seeking comfort from its feel, even though he saw his bullets hit the thing and do no damage at all.

He shudders as a vision of the guy called Mike being inviscerated by the things claws springs unbidden to his mind.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton walks in, "I just received a call. The fire is out. While putting it out, they heard screaming from the house, so they are now searching for bodies." She pauses before walking out. At the door she turns, "I'll let you know if I hear anything else."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   anyone looking at the book may make an occult roll to understand the charts.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Occigon »

After hearing Mrs. Patton, Charles says, "We'll, I'm sleeping here. I've no wish to have Corbbitt visit me in my hotel room while I'm having nightmares. Which of you had contacts on the police? It'd be good to get some information on what they found - and on whether we were spotted."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard reply's to Scott with a bit of a chuckle "Havent you been listening he is not after us he is after the knife"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Ben,Here is Richards occult roll for when he has his turn looking at the book/charts [dice]0[/dice]This is a failure as my skill is only a 10
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Scott turns to Richard and shrugs, "Laugh all you like fella, but you'll be sleeping where the knife is and I don't guess Corbitt, or whatever that thing was, is gonna step over you carefully to get it"
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Ben,Out of desperation I'll try the roll otherwise we might be waiting a long time. Ocult 05% 1d100 → [7] = (7) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4447364/ (Damn that was close :D )
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc,Dr. P is finished in his thread, but you guys haven't done much of anything. I'm going to move things along if you guys don't want to post.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

With all the men looking over her shoulder at the decaying book, Jordie gives a shot too.
Occult Roll 5%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4450032/]Failure 48%[/url]
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard goes over in sits down into one of the relaxing chairs and sips his tequila
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. Chambers sets up a camera and begins to photograph each of the crumbling pages to preserve what is on them. Each page has a date on it, going back several decades. "He appears to be charting stars through these astrology charts." As you reach the end of the book the final date you notice the date 'March 25, 1921'. "Well it appears our friend would have awoken whether you were there or not. But now we have the Pognus of Hastur and he does not."
Ms. Patton pokes her head into the room again, "I just heard they found some bodies down in the basement and are requesting an ambulance over the police radio."
And finally the door to the anti-chamber opens, Harrison is standing there, the smoke and whiskey stain him, a grin from ear to ear, and for just a second he almost looks like a younger version of Dr. Chambers. "I've got it," he says.
And as the excitement in his voice fades away the large clock in the lounge begins its long solemn chimes. As each one rings out you can't help but be drawn to the intricate craftsmanship you can see through the class enclosure. On the 12th tone, you realize it is midnight and the next day.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

"So what date does that chime make it?" Richard ask "And what Have you got Harrison?"
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"Tonight is March 25th Richard," her voice deeply concerned, the large clock in the room held Jordie's attention as she watched the slow ominous oscillating countdown to midnight. "I don't think we'll be catching any sleep tonight boys, not with the police hunting us and that monster running loose. Looks like our work is cut out for us."
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”