IC: Ch 11: Where did we fail

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

IC: Ch 11: Where did we fail

Post by BenTheRat »

Date: March 24, 1921, 9:00 PM

After hearing the strange tale, Dr. Chambers closes his eyes. It seems like a long time, and you aren't sure if he fell asleep or not. "Ah yes, I thought something about this case seemed familiar. The Chapel, now I remember. We discovered they were using children from ophanages for sacrifices for some rituals, but we never discovered what for?" The doctor knocked the ashes off his cigar and took another puff. "Never heard of this Corbitt fellow before. As for how could this be him, I've seen stranger. Men who want to prolong their life, make themselves invincible. The best case I've ever seen of that was The Book of Ivon, when the wizard made himself invincible. Harrison, didn't you say you found a copy of that?"
He takes a small sip. "Usually a man like Corbitt will have a journal, did you ever find one?".
"As for why this Phil would want the Reverands' body who knows. If what he said about his sister was true, their are ways to trap a mans soul and torture it, even beyond death. I suspect that maybe what is going on. If he was lying, then he could be trying to resurect him or preserve the body, who knows," answering Richard.
"But you said he used a drowning spell and his arms became tentacles, that sounds more like a worshiper of Cthulhu. That's what we believed back when we blew up the chapel. But this Corbitt fellow, Book of Ivon, the poem of the King in Yellow, the One who cannot be names, this all points to Hastur." The doctor finishes and looks around at the group. "This is a most interesting strange case."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: IC: Ch 11: Where did we fail

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison nods.

"I am still translating it, but I already worked through a fair bit of it. There was a book down there too, I'm pretty sure our fair damsel secured it. At least, I hope she did."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

OOC:   Can we say that Jordie is there and presents the book?  
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Sonny sits and stares at his glass of bourbon, sipping from it occasionally. His eyes are glassy, he doesn't seem to be taking much notice of his surroundings.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Jordie is sitting there, a dusty book in her hands, but everytime she moves, more of the crumpled pages fall out. She hasn't said much since leaving the house.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

"A shame you didn't remember the Chapel before," says Charles, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "And who is Hastur?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Calm down young man, I did not leave out anything. I know of a great many things, of which none have to deal with this Mr. Corbitt. For me to list them all would be nigh impossible in the time frame we had. Yes I knew of the Chapel, but I had no idea the Chapel and the house on Norman street were even vaguely connected. Just being in the general neighborhood does not a connection make, or should be shake down every business in that block as well?" Dr. Chambers takes a big puff on his cigar, "I want this mystery solved as much as you."
"As for Hastur, he is the one they call 'He Who is not to be Named'. Folklore says just saying his name can bring evil and doom to you. He supposedly lives on a planet called Carcosa, and his herald is the King in Yellow. So from what you told me, it looks like Corbitt is trying to summon the King in Yellow, who can then summon the big guy. Which could be a very, very bad thing." The doctor finishes his whiskey and sets down the glass.
"I would imagine this dagger is key somehow. What more can you tell me of that?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison takes his drink to one of the seats, lights a smoke and exhales happily.

"Carcosa? Where is it? And more specifically, how do we stop Corbitt from getting to this King in Yellow? Little we did seemed to slow him down."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The doctor smirkes, "Hell if I know. From what I've read, its another planet or dimension, who knows. I would think by the description of this dagger you've given, he will need it. As long as we have it, I think we are safe from him performing any ritual to summon the King in Yellow. But it also means, if he didn't die in the fire, and if what you are saying about the gun shots is true, we will see Mr. Corbitt again. He will be coming after the dagger. Probably sooner rather than later. The Book of Ivon, you mentioned the wizard there was unkillable in it, right?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison nods.

"Yes, it details the slow erosion of his mind resulting from it. I tried one of the incantations in the book, one that Eibon used to battle a dread beast, but it didn't work on Corbitt."

Harrison pauses to think for a moment that had he heard someone say what he just said in earnest not a few days ago, he'd have doubted his faculties.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard chimes in "So do you think that he will come here to try to claim the Dagger? What makes you think that he will even know to look here? Do you think that he is drawn to it somehow?"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Well you said the Pognus was used along with the virgin sacrifices, I am thinking he used the children he was kidnapping for this." Dr. Chambers shutters for a minute. "So the dagger is linked to him. Yes, I do believe he will come to claim it and if we cannot figure out how to stop him very soon, I do not want to imagine the terror he will bring to Boston."
Harrison,make an idea roll.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard reply's "Well bullets do not work and if he manages to get out of that major fire, fire obviously dosent work. D any of the books that you have read or other 'experiences' you have had give you any idea how to banish someone or something like him?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Mulling it over in his head, Harrison comes to a startling conclusion.
Idea,[dice]0[/dice]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Harrison,something itching at your mind makes you want to go back and go through the notes you took on the book. Especially the last few chapters.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison frowns deeply, stands from his seat and paces about for a few moments.

"Is there a place I can work in quiet here? Your office perhaps? I seem to recall that Eibon was working on a way to stop his immortality, but I didn't pay any specific attention to it at the time."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The doctor says, "Of course." He leads to a panel on the lounge and presses on a panel. A small panel slides to the side and you see a room, about 8x8. It has a table and small chair. "You can work in here. Let me know if you need anything."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard ask "Is there anything else the rest of us can do to help?"
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Jordie places the crumbling book on the table, "Doctor, do you know anything about this book?"
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison shoulders his bag with the book and notes, takes the bottle of scotch and a bunch of fags and heads into the room.

"If you hear me screaming, it'll probably mean I'm not done yet."

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”