IC: Ch 7: Into the House

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC: Ch 7: Into the House

Post by Silver Priest »

Michael grumbles. Who the hell kept doors locked in an abandoned house? In any event, he was not willing to try and break the door down just yet. There might be a key somewhere around here.

He moves on and tries the second and third doors, attempting to see if both are locked as well.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard says "ok we move on to the next room" as Richard see's Michael moving from door to door impatiently he just shakes his head at Michael's ignorance in these matters. After checking and finding the next door locked he looks over his shoulder and says "Who has the keys? Lets see if they will open this door, if not Jordie you might have to take a look at it for us"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

The 2nd door on the left opens. Its about 10 feet deep and 30 feet wide. The door is centered. It appears to just be a storage room with old broken furniture. It looks like they were breaking into pieces to burn.
Richard, you remember Jordie is out in the car reading.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Ben,who had the keys to open the front door?
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You can check the keys, there are 2 different keys, but both look like outside door locks. Neither looks like it would fit the interior door.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Locksmith roll,chance = 50% roll = 59% so a failure unless there is a bonus of some type [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4308037/[/url]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You fail to open the lock.
Again you hear footsteps upstairs.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
Warren thinking:   Damn this whole thing is starting to spook me out. Now I'm seeing things that aint there.  
Shaking my head in wonder at the painting, I reach into my jacket pocket and take out my flask. Unscrewing the top I take a quick hit.

"Uhh, Richard did you...?" I leave the sentence unfinished as I can tell by his quick glance at the picture that he hadn't seen anything.

I watch as first Michael, then Richard fail to open the door. "Jordies outside lost in her book. So if there aint no key and it won't open with a little persuasion then maybe we need to bust it? After all it aint like the owner will bitch about a little damage"

I gesture at the general squalor of the rooms so far, then suddenly noticing Richard's alertness, "What is it?"...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard turns and looks at Warren and whatever he may be looking at "What is what?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine

"Looks like you either heard something or trod in something nasty"
Richard,Ben said you "heard footsteps upstairs"
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Everyone heard the footsteps upstairs, not just Richard.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The second room looking to hold nothing of interest, Michael prepares to head for the third one.

Warren's words stop him. "Well, wait a minute here. We were hired to get rid of whatever's haunting this house. I don't think that excuses us breaking down any doors. I'd prefer to do that as a last resort. I don't want any damages we cause taken out of my pay."

Suddenly hearing the footsteps above him, Michael whips his gun up, looking alert and more than a little on edge.

"What the hell was that? I thought I heard something before, but I thought it was just the house settling. But no, that time it was footsteps, I'm sure of it! Someone's upstairs."

The former cop heads for the stairs, not bothering to be sneaky. Whomever was up there probably knew they were here anyway.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard shouts "Someone go out back and out front to cover the outside to ensure no one escapes this time" and then he heads up after Warren.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As Michael runs for the stairs at the end of the hall he passes the 3rd door on the left, it is closed. Then the 2nd door on the right, it is open and he sees a kitchen behind that door.
He then reaches the stairs, the last door on the right is opposite the stairs, it is closed and has several locks on it.
Michael bounds up the stairs 2 steps at a time. It opens onto a landing. You are facing another hall that stretches the length of the house. On the right are windows. There is a door immediately to your left, it is open and appears to be a bathroom inside. Then there are 3 more doors along the hall on the left. All 3 doors are closed, the noise seems to have come from 1st closed door on the left.
Richard is only 5-10 feet behind Michael.
Warren,roll a d100 for me and let me know what you rolled.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Adrenaline still racing, Michael attempts to slam open the first door and catch whomever may be inside.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you slam the door open, this room looks very unused. A small dresser sits in one corner, and a bare bed frame with springs sits in another.
There is no one in the room, but you hear the window pane rattle, like it was just closed, and when you look a shadow moves outside the window.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
d100 roll,1d100 → [9] = (9) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4309573/
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Warren,you notice movement on the painting, a figure seems to be moving outside one of the windows upstairs on the house.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
Warren thinking:   I aint seeing this. This is all heebyjeebie, mumbojumbo bullshit, but...  
I shout as loud as I can, "Watch the windows up there I think there's someone outside" I keep watching the picture.
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Sonny has followed everyone through the house, he has been unusually quiet, his smiling demeanour obviously missing - his previous visit here and the events at the chapel have clearly unnerved him - more so than he thought.

As Michael and Richard head up the stairs Sonny is overcome by a sense of deja-vu, as he hears Warren's shouted warning he finally shakes himself out of his stupor.

"Guys - stay outta there! Get away from the window! Shit guys this is what happened to me and Harry, the footsteps, the window the flying bed, everything!

Fuck guys, get outta there now!
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”