IC: Ch 6c: Together at the Museum

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: IC: Ch 6c: Together at the Museum

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison passes the smaller book to Jordie and carefully, very carefully tries to read some more of the big tome.

Latin 30% (1d100=20)
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Harrison,make a EDU *3
As you look at the book the title is Liber Ivonis written by Caius Phillipus Faber.
You can tell a lot of the book is worm eaten and trashed. Some of it is still viable but will take you sometime to read it all.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"You're a grown man, you don't need me to hold your hand across the street. You got this under control." Jordie throws a reassuring wink at Harrison, as she sets the pail of water on the ground. Jordie takes the small journal with her and looks at Michael, "You're gonna hold the fort Michael?"
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Michael grins. "Hey, don't worry. Neither of you are going to be possessed on my watch. But if one of you happens to be, I promise I'll aim for the legs."
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Returning Michael's smile, "Well, I'm actually heading out with Charles to the Occult Store. We'll double check with you guys soon enough." Jordie leaves out to the door, meeting up with Charles and hoping she didn't keep him waiting too long.

In the car ride towards the Occult Store, Jordie plans on skimming through the pages of the small journal, letting whatever interesting catches her eye.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Ah, my mistake. You be careful. Charles too. Phil or one of the reverend's friends could be lurking around anywhere. If you see someone, come back to get the rest of us. Don't try to be a hero." Realizing he is lecturing, he looks sheepish. "Sorry. Old instincts die hard, I guess. See you soon."

After Jordie leaves, Michael observes Harrison intently, hoping he is ready for the slightest sign of trouble.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC:   No dice EDU*3=36% (1d100=77)  
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

So Harry is it all words or are there some pictures to help this poor black boy read?

Sonny let's out a little chuckle.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Jordie and Charles head here.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison looks up at Sonny, his brow furrowed in thought.

"It's Latin, Sonny, but it's difficult stuff. It's called the Liber Ivonis, written by some Caius Philippus Faber. Could you look for a grammar and a dictionary, that might speed it up a bit. Or look into the name? "
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Harrison,the title translates to mean [i]Book of Ivon[/i]. Do you want to skim it fast, spot read it, or do a throrough reading. You estimate the last could take several days. No matter what you choose give me 4 Latin skill rolls. The more you make the more you glean from the book at the speed you are reading. Crit successes count double.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison tries to skim through the text, delicately handling the pages, but he can't seem to find his focus.
No successes:,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4291730/]Reading Latin 30% (1d100=51, 1d100=40, 1d100=84, 1d100=51)[/url]

He yawns and stretches, carefully putting the book down and he gets up to stretch and rub his aching leg. He limps over to the coffee table, his cane clicking heavily against the floor and downs a steaming hot cup.

"I'm going to need a lot more of this if I'm to make any sense of that book."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

That Latin you studied well over a decade ago in college is proving much more rusty than you once thought it was. Of course how often do you really read or talk in Latin.
Harrison,you were able to descern from your first success that this is a journal of some sort. Of someone besides Caius Faber. That Faber simply copied or translated the text into the book you have now. And that whoever the original author was, he was some sort of scholar or alchemist.
It took you about an hour to try and read that much. It's now about 1:30.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC:   Could I try a re-roll if I spent the rest of the afternoon and used some dictionaries?  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Harrison,yes you can. Using a Latin to English dictionary will add 20% to your roll but increase the time to read it. It is still very difficult to read because of all the holes in it. So you're just picking out words here and there, sometimes well over half the page is not legible.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison moves himself and the book to a writing desk. He takes a few pieces of scrap paper, the dictionary and a few pencils and goes to work trying to get an inkling of understanding from the worn tome.

Latin 30%+20%=3/4 successes!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4292817/]translating Latin with some assistance. (1d100=22, 1d100=21, 1d100=56, 1d100=41)[/url]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton finds a Latin dictionary the professor has, and this helps a lot as many of the words were 'unusual' making the translations even more difficult. You start making progress even just doing a quick through, it will take several hours at best.
Sonny and Michael are sitting around drinking and eating but soon become bored and remember someone mentioned meeting at the house at 2. Its 2 now.
OOC:   It will take several hours for him to do his work. Do you want to do something else or stay here and wait?  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"There is nothing in here that'll have me summoning monsters, guys, at least not before next week.", Harrison grins. "You should go and meet up with the rest, I'm sure Mss Patton will keep a close eye on me."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Are you sure? Well... alright. Be careful." Michael rises from the table, looking at Sonny. " Feel like heading back to the haunted house again?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton speaks up, "Oh feel free to go, I can watch over him. I've watched over the professor many times while he read some book or played with some artifact." She walks over to a wall and you miss what she did but a small panel opened up. She pulls out a small black object. You thought it might be a gun but she turns around and it doesn't have a barrel. She pulls the trigger and you see sparks of electricity shooting out of it. "Yep, this will do the trick if he starts chanting. You boys feel free to run along and play." Her smile almost looks wicked for a second, then it's back to that look of a nice aunt that always had fresh cookies baked when you came over.
Harrison,it will take you several hours just to get a good feel for what you have. It would take several days to read the whole thing, and probably months of study to understand it fully. I'm assuming you are going for option A. So you will be here the rest of the evening. Which means the other guys will be off doing stuff this evening while you read. If this is cool, I'll probably wait and tell you everything you find out when the others have hit about 8 PM tonight. Hope that is ok with you.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”