IC: Ch 5. A chance meeting at the Chapel

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

IC: Ch 5. A chance meeting at the Chapel

Post by BenTheRat »

Date: March 21, 1921, 9:30 PM

As you pull into the dead end street and get out, only seconds later another car pulls up. You quickly recognize it as the rest of the team from the Museum. It doesn't look like you were followed.

It does look much more ominous than it did for those here earlier. The shadows were bad enough, but all you have now is a 1/4 moon.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: IC: Ch 5. A chance meeting at the Chapel

Post by DrVendetta »

I reply to Warren "Yes are you?"

Richard continues "That file dosen't have much on the Chapel at all unfortunatley, we already know everything that was in it."
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"Look what the cat dragged in," as Jordie throws a surprised remark towards Warren and Richard, she fishes around for a flashlight in her satchel. Lightheartedly poking fun at Richard "Richard, if you're gonna run off with your friends, at least finish your dinner before it gets cold."

Jordie walks up to Warren, "Bring me any gifts Texas?"
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison joins the party and lights another smoke.

"Well, if this isn't nice and romantic, sorry to disturb you guys like this.
So, how did the chase go? It looks like you caught the wrong reporter, Richard.
"

He looks around at the dismal place, peering into the darkness.

"What a hole...", Harrison knits his brow together as he's suddenly hit by a strange thought.
"Remember the bolted door in the house I told you fellows about? What if it connects to this creepy Chapel/cult's basement?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard looks at Harrison and says "Lets just say I kept our pictures out of the paper until Monday"

"And what the hell do you mean the door in the house being connected to the door here you know how far that is?"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
Before I answer to Richard's question, I cast an eye over the shadowed ground noting that it doesnt look that much worse than earlier, just that night gives it a more ominous aspect. Probably just my imagination, I think, "No, never carry one".
To Jordie I smile shake my head, "Sorry sweetheart, just him"
I give Harrison's comment serious thought, "I don't know, how far is the house from here as the crow flies? I saw tunnels in France the complexity of which would blow your minds. You'd be suprised how ingenious humans can be when properly motivated, and what ever was going on here may have been motivation enough"
I finish digging around in the cars trunk and produce an old, but working, flashlight. I look at the flashlight then at the expanse of wilderness, "Anyone else got a flashlight? And does anyone have any suggestion as to how we carry out this search?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison snorts at Richard's comment.

"It's about a block away, over there abouts."

He points in the general direction of Corbitt House.

"Jordie has a flashlight, so that makes two. I suggest we look for rectangular shapes that could indicate a subterranean stairwell, or area's that are more covered than others."

"If that albino was looking for the same, he's sure to have left some tracks or disturbance for us to find. We'll start over there on the far side, you guys start over here and we'll meet in the middle."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
I look to where Harrison is pointing and nod, "Sounds good to me".
As I turn to walk away I light a cigarette and pull the small flask of booze from my coat pocket, "Helps keep the cold out and the heebie-jeebies at bay" I unscrew the cap and take a quick belt.
- Anais Nin
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Pointing the flashlight between Warren and Richard, Jordie lets out a deep sigh as she walks alongside with Warren, "You should've just left him where you found him. Now we have to look after him before he gets himself into another jam. We could've had a bigger cut out of this gig."

Reflecting on Richard's comment, she didn't like the idea of having her fifteen minutes of fame, being a ghost hunter. Jordie imagined herself writing some great revelation of misunderstood humanity, or unearthing a long forgotten relic marking a historic moment in Egyptian archeology. She had thought she would amount more into life, than housecleaning an old home.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

"OK, let's go," says Charles, walking alongside Harrison.
OOC,How big is the lot? Will the two groups be in sight/earshot of each other the whole time as they search? Or is it too big for that?
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Warren? I understand you want to go for a cosy walk with legs over here, but would you mind lending me your flashlight? It seems a bit unevenly distributed that your group should get both the looker and the lights."

He lights another fag as the exchange takes place and grins.

"Thanks, pal, you're a real trooper."

He flicks on the light and looks at the two other men.

"Alright boys, let's find some secrets."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC ALL,Love it guys, love the interaction. Also looks like I have a replacement for Muchinator who hasn't been on in almost 3 weeks. Now to answer some questions: 1. The old Corbitt house is less than a block away. Having a tunnel from here to there is not out of the question. 2. The lot is big but with no standing structures you can see each other or at least their flashlights across the lot. Its a U shape lot with the parking lot in the middle. Though the rubble on the front left and front right is not nearly as big as in the middle. 3. There are trees here and there and towards the back of the lot they start getting dense. If someone goes back there you could easily lose sight of them, even with a flashlight on. 4. Everyone of you have a flashlight in the satchels Ms. Patton backed for you when you got the job. 5. I am going by the assumption that 1/2 are going left the other 1/2 going to the right arm, then work around to the main rubble in the middle.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As the 2 groups split up, and start to walk the old lot you hear crunching noises under your feet. Shining the flashlight down you find pieces of old burnt wood, it is charred black, but you can see the wood that has broken open under the weight of your feet has a white powder inside the wood.
The warm hot muggy evening quickly gives way as a cold win whips through sending a chill over your arms and face.
It doesn't seem cold now that you think about it, just so different than what you have felt all day.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
I bend and pick up a piece of the broken wood, carefully inspecting it by flashlight, "Now what the hell is this?"
I gesture towards the back of the lot, "It was over there by a fence that Jordie and me encountered our mysterious watcher. Although I am now convinced it was either Phil or Joe from the Globe" I grin at Richard but I don't think he notices in the dark, "You know, your new best pals"
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard reply's "I figured it was them once I tracked them down and overheard there conversation, but if our albino is not connected to the church it brings up more questions to me on what the connection was and how Tom got involved. Currently I think the Reverend may have recruited him as the Reverend escaped from jail a few years back and has been in hiding ever since, so maybe recruiting a vagrant to do his errands would be how Tom ties into this."
ALL,ok so it looks like we all have flashlights and it is at least Warren, Jordie, and myself on one side (I will say the left) and the others on the right side? If anyone is doing something different or wants to change this please post so we all no where and who everyone is with
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Having fallen into an introspective mood, Micheal had spent the last few minutes glancing around the chapel's ruins. The sight combined with the low amount of light unnerved him a bit, not that he'd admit it. This was all nonsense anyway, he was sure of it. They'd go into that damn house ready to exorcise a restless spirit, only to stumble on some bootlegging operation or something akin to it.

As the groups split up, he stomps out his cigarette and looks at Harrison and Charles. "Think I'll come with the both of you. Make sure you don't break anything."
Last edited by Silver Priest on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"I'd run to the hills too if I saw your face," as Jordie gives a devious smile to Warren, playfully hitting him in the shoulder. Kneeling down beside Warren, Jordie holds her hand up into air and rubs the ash out of her finger, "Though if they wouldn't come within a yardstick to say hi, I don't know who you call friends Warren." Jordie wondered to herself how the weather and its elements haven't washed away the explosive makeover that littered the lot. Regardless, these were clear signs she was closer to ground zero of the truth. Or their doom.

Jordie left Richard's food for thought hanging in the air, as music seemed more appetizing food for the soul than listening to Richard serenade to the wind. Jordie wanted to dig up dirt on this albino clown that's been making all this trouble.
Last edited by DetectiveSocks on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You realize the usual noise of the city is quieted here. If you really strain an occasional horn honk or distant bell can be heard, but overall its very peaceful, or eerily restless here depending on your mood.
Warren Richard Jodie,make a listen check
Michael Harrison Sonny Charles,make a spot hidden check
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Out of habit, Micheal takes another look around the chapel. Nothing unusual registers.
Spot Hidden,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4247637/]Spot Hidden (45%) (1d100=56)[/url]
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”