IC: Ch 4f: Late for a Date (Warren)

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: IC: Ch 4f: Late for a Date (Warren)

Post by BenTheRat »

Jenn sighed, "Well I've already eaten, and wanted to go downstairs for a bit."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
I'm beginning to get an itch in the back of my neck, similar to the one that used to warn me when to keep my head down over in France. Things are becoming just a touch strange, well stranger. Phil following me about, Jen being somewhere I hadn't planned, and her almost urgent desire to visit the spa. Maybe it's not a speakeasy, maybe it's something more sinister...
I shake my head, Jesus all this spooky stuff is starting to mess with my mind. I look into Jen's face for a few moments as if trying to spot signs of duplicity.
"Sure doll, whenever"...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

She stands up looking excited. "Good, lets go."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
"Whoa, slow down there". I tap the file, "First things first, I'll put this in the car out of the way"
Standing I move towards my parked car. As i do so I take the opportunity for another glance around. The itch is getting worse, don't know why but I'm getting a bad feeling about this.
I put the file on the passenger seat and take my notebook from my pocket. On one page I write, in capitals, the time and the word 'SPA'. I tear the piece of paper out and stick it beneath my seat out of sight.
Having closed and locked the door I return to Jen.
"Okay, lead on"...
Spot Hidden,65% failed by 1% (ho hum) so if there was anything to see I missed it, 1d100 → [66] = (66) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4237581/
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you put the files in your car, she asks you to store her flowers in there as well. Afterwards, Jenn leads you into the spa. She looks at you, "Do you trust me?" Then without waiting she leads you to the back of the spa to a wall. She looks around, then pushes a panel and the wall slides sideways and she steps through. "Come on Warren."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
Oh, what the heck, I follow her. "Do I trust you, what kinda question is that?". But I can't shake the image of the fly being drawn into a spider's web.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Well slide the door shut then silly." As you look behind you the sliding wall is still open. As you reach up, it doesn't take but a small push for the wall to slide back into place.
After it does Jenn gives a small knock a different door. A small window slides open. "Password"
Jenn says "blind pig" and the door opens.
she leads you inside, and you see this.
Jenn looks back at you, "Lets get a drink."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
I give her a sickly smile, "Sure", and push my way to the bar. I look at the different bottles arranged at the back of the bar, trying to spot a brand I might recognise. Giving it up as an impossible task, I lean on the counter and say to a barman, "I'll have a scotch and the lady a...?" I look at Jen realising that I have no idea what she drinks, or even that she liked a drink at all.
"One drink and then I have to go, you know what they say about time and tide? But this is good" I nod at the surroundings, "Maybe we can do this again, soon?"
Today's events have left me more than a little spooked, and I know the nagging voices in my head aren't goinng to cease without either a large dose of alcohol or taking another peek at that chapel site. I am starting to wonder how Phil fits in with all this and the paper had killed the story from 1918? Was it Phil that Jeordie and I had seen watching us at the bomb site?
"Who was the lead reporter on that 1918 article?" I ask this question aloud without realising it.
I glance at a clock behind the bar, wondering if I have time to revisit the site before meeting the others opposite the house at 11pm...
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Jenn seems super excited to be here.
Warren,make a psychology check
She looks at you, "My friend Alice told me about this new drink called a Pansie, get me one of those. Isn't this place great. Yea it was Phil's article, I wonder whats going on over there." You hear some yelling over in one corner where some people have gathered and are cheering.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
I order the drink and watch in a bemused fashion as the bartender mixes some strange concoction. Rather her drinking it than me, still at least she got piece of lemon.
So it was Phil who had written the article and it was also Phil who had been trailing me earlier, then perhaps it had been Phil we had seen at the old Chapel site.
The sudden outburst of noise from the corner attracts my attention, passing Jen the strange looking drink I gesture towards the excited crowd, "Let's take a look and see what's going on over there"...

Psychology,05%1d100 → [88] = (88) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4239882/
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

She takes the drink and sips it, "whew, sweet but you can sure taste the shine."
As she takes your hand she follows you over to where the crowd is cheering. As you wiggle your way into the crowd you see 2 guys arm wrestling in the corner. A lot of money seems to be passing back and forth.
ooc,make a luck check
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
Luck,50%: 1d100 → [49] = (49) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4240466/
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you watch the 2 men, 1 pins the others arm in a matter of only a few seconds. There is a cheer, and money is passed between losers and winners. They begin to look for a new challenger. Someone looks at you and says, "how about you chap?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
I eye up the current champion, "Not for me pal"
I can see where this is going by the excitement lighting Jen's eyes, Jeez if one drink has this effect on her, I'm not sure I would care to see her after several.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Soon someone else sits down. His muscles ripple. A man is working the crowd, "Taking bets, even odds."
Jenn looks over at you, "Oh lets play."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
I put my hand into my jacket pocket and pull out a crumpled 10 spot which I push into Jens hand, noting how the excitement was making her palm sweat. "Here, you bet, I have to make a call of nature. Be right back".
Call me a coward or whatever epithet you choose, but I couldn't stop my mind from trying to make sense of all this so I was going to bale out on Jen and head over to the site of the Chapel for a quick look. Given the excited state that Jen was getting in it was going to be a lot easier making excuses later than now.
Heading for the door marked 'Gentlemen' I managed to take a detour outside to my parked car. Hopefully unoticed by my 'date'.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Jenn was enthralled with the game and drink, and never noticed you were gone till the 10 spot was long gone. By then many others in the bar were helping her continue to have a good time.

You make it to your car and notice the flowers in the car. Then head out.
warren,wow, wasn't expecting you to bail on her. And btw, the luck roll was to see if the police raided the place, that could have been fun. Oh well. You are a bit ahead of the rest of the team. I think they are also planning on meeting at the chapel lot. So we will pick it up when they catch up. its between 8:30 and 9 pm right now for you. They are about an hour behind you.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
As I slide behind the steering wheel I notice the flowers. Damn, thats gonna take a bit of explaining.
As the engine starts I consider my options, I could just head on over to the chapel site and have a mooch about on my own, or, and a rumble from an unhappy stomach gives this an edge, I could head over to Luigi's and get myself a warm plate of pasta.
Luigi's it is, as i pull away from the kerb I take a long look in my drivers mirror in case a certain black sedan suddenly appears there.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
At Luigi's over a plate heaped high with pasta and his special carbonera sauce, I take the opportunity to have another, better, look at the contents of the file Jen had put together, especially the article on the 1918 events.
As I chew the pasta and let my eyes flick through the details of the story that never ran, my mind keeps coming back to Phil.
Why did the paper cut Phil's story, why does he suddenly start following me when I start showing interest in the story? Of course it could be simply professional interest, but why follow, why not just ask? Maybe Phil has more interest in this house than he admits, so maybe a quick look through his filing cabinet might be in order.
I glance at a nearby clock. Hmm, not supposed to meeting the others untill 11pm, so maybe I've got time to swing by the paper...
OOC,I thought we were supposed to be meeting outside the house, not at the site.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC Warren,yea you were supposed to meet at the house, I only mentioned the chapel OOC to let you know why I might have to delay you getting there. But right now only 2 of you are playing.
Your meal is great as usual there.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”