IC: Ch 4a: County Clerk (Richard)

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: IC: Ch 4a: County Clerk (Richard)

Post by BenTheRat »

Its only about 3:00. You hear the clerk at the desk say, "Instead of standing there and looking lost go on back to the library and look lost back there. Go upstairs and you'll see it. Just bring the record back when you are done."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard says "Thank you Miss" I will be back shortly" turns and goes in the direction she indicated and up the stairs to the library with the record and looks around
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you enter the library, you see 3 other people sitting around the tables in the room. They all have really large books open while taking notes. There are a lot of bookshelves here full of books.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard look around to see who would be the most likely to understand the book I have, maybe someone with a similar volume in front of them.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

All of them seem to be doing the same thing. They look like lawyers or assistants doing case studies.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard walks over and sits down to the one that looks to be the easiest to convince to help him and starts looking throught the volume for any mention of the name Corbitt or the address of the house.

After about 20 minutes of searching through the book (which I assume provides me no knew information) Richard turns to the legal assistant next to him and quietly ask "Excuse me, I am sorry to disturb you but I have no training in these types of manuals could you spare a moment to help me understand how to look up a specific case? I have the name of the defendant and the address of the location involved"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"I'm pretty busy," he replies.
OOC,make a persuade roll. ;)
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Persuade Roll,chance = 75 roll = 59 so a succses [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4218353/[/url]
Richard slides the open volume towards the gentleman and says "I just need to know the case number and I cant figure out how to look that up in this book. Here is the name of the defendant and the address of the house involved"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The young man looks over at you, "alright let me take a look." He pulls the book over and looks at the name and address.
"Well you really need another book to look up a case with only a number. Let me guess Ms. Jones downstairs just handed you this and said have at it. She does that to all the new assistants. This only works if you have the case number." He goes over to a shelf, looks for a second and pulls a book out. Comes over, flips through a few pages. "Ah here is the case number, 54729." He then goes back over to the book and quickly finds the case. "Ok, see that, now once you find it in this book you cross reverence that number to case file. F32-856-12"
He smiles and shuts the book, and starts to back to work on his stuff.
OOC,make a spot hidden check
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Roll,spot hidden chance = 45 roll = 10 so a success [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4218477/[/url]
Richard watch's to see how the assistant looked up the number in the book he took off the shelf and trys to understand how the assistant knew what book on the shelf to retrieve to find the case number for future reference.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You are watching this person go through the paces that seem 2nd nature to him, but it goes right by you. One thing you did notice is that in the other book he looked into there was a section for related cases and there were 2 numbers listed.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

I write down the other 2 case numbers for the other two related cases.
I then quietly thank the assistant for his help and say yea this was my 1st run in with Ms Jones.
"I appreciate the help, here has some fresh jerky to keep you company this afternoon" Richard hands several pieces of the jerky over to the legal assistant.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

He kind of sneers at the jerky, "yea thanks." And goes back to work.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard takes the 3 cases numbers and the book that Ms Jones had given him and walks back down stairs to Ms Jones counter.
Richard has the 3 case numbers written down to hand to her when she comes to the counter.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Hey you're back faster than I thought you would." She smiles as she takes the book. "Wow, 3 case numbers. I thought it would just be one."
She writes some numbers down on a piece of paper, "Now just take these down to the file room in the basement and they'll give you the files you're looking for."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard smiles back to Ms Jones "Thank you very much, and you have a Happy Day Ms Jones"
Richard then walks down to the file room to collect the 3 case files.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you go downstairs you see a small room. A door to the right and a opening in front of you. As you walk up to the window a young man is there reading what looks like a law book. He notices you walk up and he wheels in his chair over to you and holds his hand out.
As you hand him the slips, he says, "yea this will take a minute, wait here."
He disappears into rows and rows of shelves with boxes on them. After a while he comes back with three folders. "Yea, sign here" and he hands you a clipboard and pen.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard signs the form and ask "When do I have to have these back in to you?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

He looks up a a clock, "well its almost 4 now, I'm out of here at 5. But there is a box you can put them there to your left. If they aren't there when I get here in the morning, the police come and arrest you. So keep them as long as you like." He smiles as he goes back to his book.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard quickly returns to the library upstairs to start reviewing the files

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”