IC: Ch 4a: County Clerk (Richard)

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Re: IC: Ch 4a: County Clerk (Richard)

Post by BenTheRat »

You look through the files and they are extremely confusing. Lots of legalize speak and court filings, etc...
In the first file you can tell its a civil action of Norman st. vs Corbitt.
In the 2nd file you can see its a civil action of Norman St. vs Corbitt's estate, and Rev. Thomas.
In the 3rd case file you can tell it is a criminal case file with police reports, etc... and Notes from the DA concerning a raid on the Chapel of Contemplation & Church of Our Lord Granter of Secrets.
OOC,make 3 library use rolls (1 for each) to get more out of the files. Or a Law roll, but I'm guessing you'll go for the library use.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

1st roll,this is for the first file library = 65 roll = 30 so a success [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4218626/[/url]
2nd roll,this is for the 2nd file library = 65 roll = 70 so a failure [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4218628/[/url]
3rd roll,this is for 3rd file library = 65 roll = 75 so another failure [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4218629/[/url]
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you read through the first file, you find where it says the case was dismissed due to lack of evidence and the court being unwilling to believe that witchcraft was real. However, it gave a warning to Mr.Corbitt to stop trying to practice witchcraft when it obviously didn't exist.
The 2nd case you only see that they are trying to prevent him from being buried in the basement. But try as you may you cannot find a resolution to the case.
The 3rd case involves a raid in Feb 1912 of the Chapel of Contemplation & Church of Our Lord Granter of Secrets, where 54 members were arrested. No names other than Reverend Michael Thomas, all but 8 were released. Other than the fact that the file seems very thin for a case where 54 people were arrested, that is all you can figure out.
Its now 5:30 and all but 1 of the people have left the room. The guy you talked to earlier is now gone.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

I walk over to the person and ask for some assistance with the 2nd & 3rd files, as I know the person is busy as they are the last one there I go offering to pay for some of there time (I am not sure what an appropriate amount of cash would be for this time period but that's the amount I use in my conversation with them.

"Excuse me I know you are quite busy but I am not very familiar with all of the legal conversations in these two file could I persuade you to loan me some of your time for the proper price?"
persuade roll,roll = 12 so a success [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4218655/[/url]
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

He smiles as he looks up at you. "You looked a little lost over there, sure let me have a quick look." He takes the 2 files and his eye browse raise a little as he reads some of them, flipping through the pages, reading some more. He seems to know exactly where to go flipping back and forth. After a bit he says.
"Where the hell did you dig these 2 files at? That is some of the strangest cases I've ever seen. Now the first one here looks like the people on Norman street were trying to keep the corpse of..." he flips back a page, "Mr. Corbitt from being buried in his basement. Looks like they won that case due to health code reasons. Seems reasonable."
Then he sets it aside and picks up the other one. "This one, you want to go put this one back and leave it alone. It has trouble with a capital T written all over it if you know what I mean sport."
OOC,if you want to push for more info you need to make a 2nd persuade roll
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard reply's "Unfortunately there is already alot of trouble and I am trying to find out why, everything seems to lead back to this case, I really need to know everything else I can on this case"
"Also on the other file does it give any mention of where Corbitt ended up being buried at?"

Persuade Roll,roll = 49 so another success [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4218681/[/url]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Alright, but you if you ever tell anyone I helped you with this, I'll call you a liar to your face under oath, you got me?" He reopens the file.
"Ok, from what I can tell they got a warrant to storm the chapel. They ended up in a huge shootout, 17 people were killed, yea and 3 policemen as well. Wow, this is just incredible. There was some sort of explosion, and a fire. In the aftermath 54 people were arrested, including the good reverend. Of those all but 8 were released. Now this is interesting."
He stops and reads some hand written notes. "This one officer thought there was some illegal pressure being made to drop the whole thing. Then is says the reverends case will be handled separately, and the case just ends." He flips back and forth through a more than a dozen pages. "It looks like motions to dismiss, promises of protection, but in the end, no one else ever went to trial. Very weird, someone swept this under the rug. Looks like only Reverend Thomas ever went to trial."
He hands the file back to you, "Like I said leave me out of it. And for the other one, no, just not to bury him there. Now if you don't mind if I don't get this research done my boss will have my head. Don't worry about pay, just reading those cases was payment enough." And he goes back to work.

You hear a clock chime 6 times.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard quickley replies before the gentleman gets back into his work "I promise these are the last questions I have, who was the officer that thought there was pressure to make the case go away? Where was the church located at, Why was it raided to start with? I mean what was the warrant for?, and lastly what case number would I find the Reverand's trial under? And if anyone every ask me I tell them I have never seen you before" and I lay the money back on the table
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

He sighs and looks at the folder again, "The officers was a guy named O'mally, the church is oh here, number 6 Hale street. The original warrant was signed off on by a judge, I can't make the name out. But it says for suspicion of kidnapping. Supposedly someone heard a child scream inside. And hmm, no record number for the reverends case. That's a bit weird. But then again, this whole case is a bit weird. Now if you'll excuse me." And he puts his head down to work.
If you try and say anything else he raises his hand without looking at you.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard says "thanks, and have a nice evening" He then scribbles down notes on the information quickely and then heads off hastily to the box to drop the folder in.
After placing the folders in the box he high tails it over to the library to catch up with the others.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You go downstairs and easily find the boxes that say night return and put the folders in there. Then head out to meet the others.
OOC,You are actually late, the others planned to meet at 5 not 6. 2 of the 3 groups are finished, but the 1 is not moving at all. I may close it anyway. When I start the next get together it will start at 5, so I'm going to put in a part about you not returning. So it maybe a few days before you can post again. I'll make sure I let you know when you can jump back in. I hate to tell someone not to post. Sucks.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

For Ben,No problem I was under the impression that we were suppose to meet at 6pm so I will probably still go to the library and start researching the case, the officer, the judge and what happened to the reverend. Let me know where to post.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC,it is 6 now. It took about 1.5 hours to go through all three files, then have the other guy go through them. I put it at 30 mins per file, and then I gave you the other guys time for free. ;) We can keep posting here, do you still want to go by the library, or head back to the museum?
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Ben,well the last note I saw was that everyone was not going to meet back at the museum until 8:30am tomorrow morning? Did I miss a message?
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. V,The last message said meet back at 5.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard high tails it back to the museum
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As you drive back to the museum you see the library is already closed. You pull into the museum which also looks closed. You pull around to the back and you can tell you are the last one here.
OOC,ok, I got everyone caught up, but there was some timing issues getting everyone back here. So you guys are staggered for now, I'm going to let each group into the next thread in the proper order, and we will go from there. I'll post here again when I'm ready for you to jump. I think you can feel free to read the other threads now if you want to.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Ben,just let me know when to jump in. I HAVE NOT been reading other threads because I think it takes away from the roll playing. Let me know if there are other threads that I SHOULD be reading
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC,Understand. Its some wild stuff. I am just waiting on one group that got themselves locked in a room, and they are trying to figure out how to get out. Everyone else is done. Hopefully it shouldn't be more than a day or 2 tops.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper