IC 3f: Back together again

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: IC 3f: Back together again

Post by BenTheRat »

Sonny,yea make 3, one for each topic.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Sonny looks at Michael whilst contemplating everything that's been shared.

His mind starts working round, trying to find connections, pulling memories back, half-forgotten fragments from time spent with his aunt 'The Yellow King, that don't ring no bells with me, nope don't get nuthin'. Hmm some of these ingredients seem familiar, can't remember what they is for but I'm sure Aunt Loosa used to use some of them and I know some of these symbols - I'm sure as I is black that I seen these around New Orleans, can't remember whether it was with Aunt loosa or some of her friends but I know I know some of these.'
OOC,dice rolls occult[45]: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4203591/ 1. Yellow king: 73 fail 2. Ingredients: 43 Success 3. Symbols/Symbology: 31 Success
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
Like Sonny I'm surprised by Michael's stabbing themselves in the face statement, but I try not to show it.
"Could be good thinking there Michael."
"Has anyone checked the newspaper archives? Could be something interesting there. Show me to a phone and I'll see what I can dig up" I'm looking at Mrs Patton.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Sonny,Yea for the Yellow King, you don't recognize the name, it doesn't sound right. . For the ingredients you know your Aunt definetely used the Carminic Acid in protection spells. Usually binding agents were used to get different ingredients to mix when they shouldn't. And she used the Xanthan Gum before to make things into a cream or lotion. . The symbols on the door are pretty generic protection ruins, that many an occult store would have on them in different arrangements.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton, looks up. "Yes feel free to use the phone over on the bar." You look over and notice for the first time a phone hanging on the wall by the bar. "I must say this is just fascinating."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
OOC,Have I any contacts at one of the main Boston Newspapers who will check archives for me?
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard chimes in to Warren "Check with them about Corbitt as well, he owned the house about 80 years ago and was actually taken to court by the locals so there should be some report on it in the paper since it involved him practicing witchcraft" Richard turns to Michael and says "so did you make any good contacts in the courthouse during your PD days? There has to be a record of the trial since it went through the courts."
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Warren,You know plenty of people there. You might know someone willing to look up something specific for you, but to just go digging around when you don't know what you're looking for probably isn't going to happen. We can play this out in another thread, or with buttons, your call. . And to do anything make a roll for me, probably fast talk, but it might not be depending on what you are looking for.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

"Torres stabbed himself in the face," Charles repeats patiently. "Now, might I mention that if the house becomes 'active' at night, that might be all the more reason for us to take a look at it during the day? It seems to me that if some of us feel that this house might actually be haunted, waiting for darkness to go in might not be a brilliant idea. Especially if there are some non-supernatural things - such as this door - that seem worth a look."

"As for further research..." Charles hesitates a minute. "Sure, knock yourselves out. Poetry, occult signs, Yellow Kings. But frankly, if I were trying to pretend a house were haunted, that's just the kind of mumbo-jumbo I'd be laying on thick. A bunch of cryptic hints that don't lead anywhere but lend the whole thing an air of verisimilitude. It seems to me that if we're going to spend more time doing research, there are some more concrete elements that we can look at: the albino, the knife, even this Chapel, which might be a front for something. Look, we don't know what we're getting into here; we've got to be careful not to follow the trail of breadcrumbs someone has thoughtfully laid out for us straight to the witch's cauldron".
Mouchinator
Layman
Layman

Post by Mouchinator »

Michael responds to Richard. "I'd think my friends at the PD would have the information we need, if they are willing to dig it up for us. Personally I never really mingled with the lawyers or judges ... I would have but that detective badge never really materialized ... but that's a story for another time. I'll give 'em a ring after Warren gets off the phone and dig around on the court case and that weird old church."

Michael lights up a new cigarette and sips on his drink.

"Anyway, I think you've the right of it Charles, we need to be level headed about all this. If we don't learn much more, what do you think we should do? Give the house another sweep but make sure we kick in the barred door and dig around in the cellar to make sure old Corbitt's headstone ain't laying about?"
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

"Exactly!" Charles replies to Michael. "Let's have a look in the daylight. And I think we're less likely to find a headstone or a ghost than we are to find a counterfeiting operation or some other illegal setup."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Warren,Go [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=283&t=4553]here[/url] for you your phone call:
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine

I cross to the phone take the earpiece from its rest and dial the number for the Globe.
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard states to Charles "I do not understand your rush here, it has been less than 24hrs since we all signed up for this and I think we are making great headway."
All,sorry I missed the post by [b]Charles[/b] on the house and the knife. Please be sure to post in [color=#0000FF]BLUE[/color] when speaking to the group as that is what I am looking for when I review things. Thanks for the help with this as I am new to forum RPGs
"Dr Chambers, our employer, is an old man for a reason. He understands what he is about to walk into before he walks into it. Lets face it, he had done some research on all of us, probably alot of research on each of us, how else would he had have known we would answer the ad and have the flask with our names on them with our favorite beverages in them. He had all of this without even knowing us. He did his research first. He warned us before he left to make sure we knew what we were doing before we run in to something. I say we follow the old mans advise and do some more checking of information before running head long into who knows what."

Richard looks around at everyone trying to read there faces "What is one more day going to hurt before we go into the house? We can stake it out again tonight to see if our friend Tom returns, maybe figure out how he's getting in and scare him away again, or maybe aprahend him this time for questioning. I say we dig up as much as possible on the court cases, the Church, the knife that was used in the murder/suicide and the pastor before we start charging into the house."
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

"I have no problem waiting," Charles replies. "I'm just saying that if we are going to do research today, let's leave exploring the house for another day and not want to go in at night. And if we are going to do research, let's focus on the concrete, as opposed to the hocus-pocus."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine
I place a hand over the mouthpiece and turn back from the phone to the others,
"So what it to be, do we hold fire or turn the place over tonight?"
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard looks over his shoulder to Kaine and says "looks like we will be holding fire for tonight"

"So what is it we are all going to concentrate on as far as researching and where will we all be doing it at?"

"Charles what 'concrete' items do you suggest we look into?"
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

"The albino seems to be at the center of all this, anything we could find on him would be useful," Charles replies. "It might be worth finding out if this Chapel has left any clues as to its nature or purposes. The knife also sounds important, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how we look into it."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton looks up from her notepad, "Well you seem to have plenty to do. Just divide out the jobs and get moving before you run out of sunlight. "
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

"Unless your talks with the old tenants suggested otherwise - we don't know that the house is any more or less active at night. It just happened to be night when we went in and the spookiness happen'".

"We know that Tombino wants somethin' in the house, so I think we should always have a couple of us staking it out - we can take it in shifts - so we can try and grab him when he comes back."

Sonny pauses for a moment "I've been thinking about those symbols from the shop and the ingredients - I'm pretty sure my Auntie Loosa would call those symbols protection runes and I remember running chores for her to get her Carminic Acid. She used to use Xantham gum to make us lotions and creams when we hurt ourselves as kids doing stupid stuff"

"Anyways - I don't think I'm so useful at the reading and library stuff, I had some good schooling but I'm probably better trying to talk to folks.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”