IC: Ch 2. The Job

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: IC: Ch 2. The Job

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton steps over to a wall and pushes on one of the wall boards and a small section pops out about an inch. She reaches underneath and pulls down a large map.

"Now if you look closer here."

She then points to one area ( the red star) "This is the museum where we are at on Huntington."

She then points to another area (the green star) "This is where Norman street is located."

If you look up close on the map you can see Norman better.

You can see her beaming that she was able to help you so quickly. "Anything else? Or do you need any supplies?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard with a warm smile on his face and appreciation in his voice tells Ms Patton "I can't think of any supplies at the moment but let us talk for a while and we will get with you before we leave and let you know what we might need and what are plans are."
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Mouchinator
Layman
Layman

Post by Mouchinator »

Michael puts his cigarette in the corner of his mouth and gets up to meet Warren. He extends his hand to shake Warren's and says: "Michael O'Connor of O'Connor Investigations ... welcome to the craziest meeting ever held. The old man and his friend here are offering a hundred plus a person to help figure out why some old house here in town is haunted." Michael bunny ears the word haunted to show his disdain. "Anyway, its probably nothing and its a quick one week contract with a good pay off."

To Richard he says: "If by my investigation company, you mean me, then yes I think I can dig up some information on the house and its previous owners. I could use a hand at some places around town like the library and city hall or wherever they keep municipal records. I'd think we would want to gather as much information before we go stumbling around in the dark. Shall we have a few more drinks here and go over what we know?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC FYI,If you didnt' see it, I started a thread called important information. I put all the names, where abouts, addresses, etc... that you have discovered so far. So I'll put in names and addresses. If you want anything else, please let me know and I'll add it to the post so you can have it all in one spot and easy to find. Instead of spread over dozens of posts.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

Charles turns to Michael. "I'm happy to do some research at the library and at City Hall tomorrow." There's a spark of enthusiasm in his eyes at the project, one that hasn't been there for a while.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:
I take my much abused and battered cigarette case from my jacket's inside pocket and put a butt between my lips, lighting it while shielding the flame with my left hand an unconscious act left over from my year in France.
"Haunted house, huh?"
Taking a deep drag from the cigarette I glance up at the guy who is extending his hand, "Investigating ghosts? Is this some kinda joke?" But I can tell from his expression that someone is being serious.
Returning the lighter to my pocket I reach out to shake the offered hand, "Kaine, Warren Kaine. Still if there's money in it...Wish I'd brought my camera though. I'm sure the papers would pay good money for a photo of a ghost or two".
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mouchinator
Layman
Layman

Post by Mouchinator »

"Alright Charles, you and I can spend the day up to our eyes in dust," says Michael, "and hopefully we learn something. You got any kind of special skills or schooling or anything like that Charles? You look like a bit of a bookworm ... I mean that in a good way." He rubs at his chin and thinks, occasionally looking at his notes. "Perhaps some others in the group could drop by the Sanitarium and see if the previous owners have any insight to shed on this supposed haunting? I imagine you'll have nothing but ranting and ravings, but hey, you never know."

Michael stamps out the butt of his cigarette and taps out another from the pack. "Oh and Warren, I bring my Kodak number one with me everywhere I go. If you've got a lead on the papers or any kind of publishing, I'll split the profits from a sold photo fifty-fifty on account of using my camera. Whad'ya say?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:
Taking a longer drag on the cigarette, pulling it from my lips and flicking ash into a handy ashtray, I smile at Michael, "Right you supply the picture and I'll supply the contacts. Sixty forty sounds better."
"I know a few people over at city hall who owe me a few favours, I'll ask them if they know anything about this...haunted house."
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton shows up at the entry way with another lost looking soul. "Excuse me gentlemen, I believe the seventh the doctor mentioned has arrived. Please help yourself to a drink or cigar. I think the water has probably cooled, but I can boil up some more if you would prefer tea or coffee. Would you gentlemen be so kind as to fill in our new recruit into what is going on."
She walks over to a small cabinet and reaches in to pull out a flask. She looks at it for a second and says, "You must be Jordan Lynch, Doctor Chambers got this for you." She hands you the flask. You notice on one side are the initials M.A.P.S. and on the other is your name. If you open the bottle it has your favorite liquor in it. You don't remember introducing yourself to anyone.
She then walks over to another cabinet, opens it, pulls out a tray of finger sandwiches, and puts it on a serving table. Then goes and starts the kettle. "Please gentlemen help yourself to the sandwiches and if you want coffee or tea, the water should be boiling soon." She walks over to the entryway to leave then turns back. "I'm throwing together a small bag of standard M.A.P.S. gear for you, but let me know if there is anything special you need for your..." She pauses for a couple seconds, "job." She smiles, turns and leaves.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mouchinator
Layman
Layman

Post by Mouchinator »

Michael smiles. He likes this Warren. "Sixty-forty sounds just fine my friend, and thank you for being so magnanimous. You're a real stand up chap for taking the smaller share. I can only assume that is what you meant given that you didn't specify you'd be snagging the larger share. Gotta watch your use of the English language there Warren, especially if you're hoping to sell some letters to the papers along with my photos." Michael takes a drag and grins. "I'm just ruffling yer feathers fella, don't mean nothing by it. We'll talk dollars and cents when and if we get a photo of something interesting ya?"

Micheal stands up and heads over for another finger or two of bourbon. "So what's the plan here fellas?" he asks over his shoulder as he pours the reddish-brown liqour, "splittin' up to do some research and interviewing the previous tenants sound good?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC,whenever you guys are satisfied just post who is going where. Harrison is out for bit, so he will go with whichever group you want him to or even go sit in front of the house while you guys do research. I'd make sure you have the right people going to the right locations. Don't forget to fill in the 2 new guys on what is going on. Don't assume they should just read the thread and be caught up. You can summarize with a I tell them everything that happened, OOC: go back and read it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

"I am still very interested in a half albino who shows up to a house to rent, pays 6 months cash in advance and is 'Happy' to hear it might be haunted, then simply disappears" states Richard "I got a feeling that he has something to do with this haunting, I will see what I can dig up on him in Monday morning"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

"I have a certain research experience," Charles tells Michael. "We'll see if it gets us anywhere. Now," he continues, turning to the latecomers, "for those of you who missed it, here's the gist of what we heard." He reads back from his detailed notes as if reciting the minutes of a board meeting.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Sonny walks over to the late-comers and extends his hand. "Sonny Goodman, musician and ghost-hunter" he smiles and winks. "Charlie there has filled in the blanks for you, don't think he's out missed anything, that's some fine note-taking Charlie"

Turning to the rest of the group "How bout a couple of us head to the house and ask the neighbours about the previous tenants or what they know of spooky or strange goings on in the house? I admit I ain't really one for dusty books and the like and going to the nut-house fills me with the heebie-jeebies, so I'm volunteering myself for talking to the neighbourhood. Who'd like to come with poor old me?"

"We won't go in the house, I suggest that when it's time for that bit of excitement we all go together"
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

Charles bristles at "Charlie", but decides to let it pass. "Wouldn't be a bad idea if someone were to swing by Roxbury to see if anything can be got out of the Macarios," he muses. "Any volunteers?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine:
I pull his pocket watch from my waistcoat pocket and look at the time , before realising that it had stopped.
"Most places will be closed, and I doubt the neighbours would be too pleased to have someone knocking at the door asking questions tonight".
I walk over to the bar and pour myself a drink, noting the bottle of Southern Comfort standing amongst the other bottles. I smile at the sight, whoever and whatever this job is really about, they show good taste and obvious research skills, but how the hell they know I would come following a cryptic advertisement in the Globe?
Paranormal Societies and ghosts, that's for the birds. Hell, I've seen plenty of death in its most horrid and degrading worst, men screaming hanging on barbed wire, others struggling to keep their heads clear of the thick oozing mud of France. But nothing to show the presence of spirits or ghosts.
With a quiet laugh I throw the contents of my glass down my throat in a single swallow and fill the glass once more.
"I suggest that we get on over to the house now and take a looksee, before anyone has a chance to 'arrange' things"
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC Please read,Notice that in my previous post I changed the name of the 7th member. There name is Jordan, and she is female. . All the PC's have now been filled in on everything. Feel free to read all the posts from the 1st 2 chapters. Just not the info in the spoiler buttons with specific names on them.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Harrison finishes his 3rd drink, "Sounds like we have a semi plan at least. From what I'm hearing, why don't Sonny and I go stake out the house to make sure no one messes with it."
"Charles and Michael are planning on hitting the library in the morning? is that right?"
"Richard is going to follow up on this Albino fellow, any ideas on where you are going for that?"
"so we still need a couple to hit the asylum to talk to the crazy guys. Warren and Jordan, I guess coming in late gets you the short straws."

Harrison pours another. "Well, what do you guys think?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Warren Kaine

I raise my freshly filled glass to Harrison and smile, "Go talk to the crazy guys about crazy things, sure why not...Uh Miss you up for it?"
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

"So where and when do we want to meet up again? Here tomorrow at 1pm maybe? We can all go over what we have found out and then maybe we can go over and take a look in the house." Richard suggest. Richard looks to Warren & Jordan "Warren and Jordan I am Richard Rahl, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Make sure you ask a few questions about Tom Lawrence the half albino, the previous tenant. Did they know anything about him? Did anyone ever stop by to ask about him? Did they ever see him? What did they do with the belongings he left behind? Where his belongings are currently is probably the most important of the questions"

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”