IC: Ch 2. The Job

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: IC: Ch 2. The Job

Post by BenTheRat »

Bishop clears his throat with another bout, "I meant the husband and wife as the last 2 tenants. I had a tenant before that, a Tom Lawrence, but he simply disappeared. Left all his stuff behind. Didn't let it bother me before, but now, I'm not so sure. Vittorio's wifes name is Gabriela if that helps."

Bishop looks around like he is expecting someone is listening in, then in a more hushed voice. "Nothing in particular, they told me it was haunted, I laughed it off, maybe if I hadn't." He stops for a minute, then goes on. "I know he said their was an accident in the basement and in one of the top bedrooms. Vittorio said that top bedroom was haunted. It's my fault they are crazy." He sits down on one of the couches and covers his face. You are not sure, but he maybe crying.
Harrison,You can't tell if its all just an act or if he's serious.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard speaks up "What can you tell us about Tom Lawrence? What kind of a person was he? Where did he work? What happen to everything he left behind, where are those items it might be a good idea to look through them."
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Bishop looked up from his hands, "Who? Oh Tom, sorry. Tom was a strange sort. A loner who seemed really happy to move into the house. When I mentioned it might be haunted he seemed delighted. I just left his clothes in the house, I'm not sure what the Macarios did with his stuff. It might still be there, or they might have thrown it out. To be honest, I'm a bit frieghtened to return."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard responding to Bishops answer "Well that is interesting. I do not mean to over run you with questions but there is a chance that Conway could have done something to start the whole haunting. Do you know where he lived prior to moving in? Was he from the Boston area or from out of town? How old was he? Where did he work? Who where his friends, where did he hang out at"

Turning to Michael Richard ask "so Michael do you think that your investigation company will be able to find out the history on the house? Who has owned it and lived in it in the past? Also maybe if there is anything special about the parcel that it sits on, like it was the site of some witch trials or burnings in the past or any other history of the supernatural type related to the house or grounds that it is built on?"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. V,instead of Conway did you mean Tom Lawrence?
Bishop takes another sip, "It's ok, I understand. I'm not sure who Conway is, maybe you misspoke. Did you mean Tom Lawrence? I can't imagine he had anything to start this, the house was supposed to be haunted before Tom came along. He didn't have a Boston accent and now that I think about, he never did tell me where he was from. He paid cash, 6 months advance, I didn't ask a lot of questions. When I came back after 6 months, it didn't look like he had been there for a while. I'd say he was in his mid-twenties, blondish hair except for a bit right up front was white, as well as one of his eyes. So he was half-albino I guess. It was strange look. Never knew anything else about him."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Occigon »

Charles has been listening and jotting down notes, with the same neutral expression his face usually takes on when taking notes at a simple business meeting. Now, when he speaks, his voice has a note of frustration. "Now, Dr. Chambers, I can't help but be a bit puzzled by all this. Mr. Bishop's been very helpful in giving us information that we can look into and whatnot. But we're not trying to locate the heir to a deed or anything like that. You want us to find out if this house is haunted, and I don't know about my colleagues here, but I don't have any experience with this kind of thing. In fact, far as I can understand, you're the only one here who has. So perhaps it would be helpful if you could tell us what constitutes a haunting, in your experience. Should we be looking for an indian burial ground? The restless soul of a wronged woman? I'm at a bit of a loss as to which novelist we should be taking as a reference for our ghosts here..."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Ben,sorry yes I meant Lawrence
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. Chambers took a puff off his cigar, "You are right, but to be honest I don't know either. Like I said everyone I've ever seen has been different, don't expect this one to be like any others I've done. Go check it out, check into the history, see what you can find out, then when can talk about what need to be done."
"Good luck, I think you gentlemen have a lot to talk about, plans to be made, and all that." Dr. Chambers gets the keys and address from Mr. Bishop and lays them on the table. "Thank you Mr. Bishop. If there are no further questions, then I'd like to wish him a good night and let him be on his way."
So you need to decide if you want to get started tonight, or tomorrow morning."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard looking down pulls out his pocket watch and checks the time, 8:13pm
Richard ask "How far is the house from here?" continuing "its only 8:13 so if its not to far from here we could probably stop by the house tonight"
Richard looks back up for a response from the others as he reinserts his pocket watch into his pocket.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Harrison picks up the address off the table. "121 Norman Street, I think I know where this is at. Its only 5 to 10 minutes away. What do you guys think?"
Warren,As you approach the museum, you know you are late, but you are hoping you can still meet with the writer of the article. As you give a quick knock on the door, you hear a voice say [color=#0000FF]"please come in."[/color] As you open the door, you see a woman sitting at a desk going through a box. [color=#0000FF]"You are a bit late, but they are still in the Lounge."[/color]
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard looks at both Chambers and Bishop and says"Because we have limited time on this I say we go check out the house tonight, Bishop you said we have until next weekend so does that mean by midnight Friday or Sunday?" The exact verbage of a contract is always crucial to Richard being a grifter.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Bishop looks a bit lost at the question, "You're right, sorry, why don't we say by Saturday at noon?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard reply's to Bishop "Not to quibble but the money clearly means something to several of us here" as he looks to Sonny and Harrison. He looks back to Bishop and says "the fact that 1st off we don't know if its real or a fraud, and proving its a fraud might be harder that proving its real when you think about it, I mean how do we convince someone that it wasn't a house that drove two people to the looney bin. If it is real then we are going to have to understand what it is to eliminate it which will take time, and considering that everyone with the exception of Dr Chambers here is new to this type of investigation and what to do to resolve it" Richard looks to the others in the room to see if anyone owns up to knowing exactly how to handle this type of experience or to have had any type of prior experience with a "haunting". When no one reply's Richard turns back to Bishop "I for one would like to have at least until noon on Sunday"
Persuade,roll [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4179288/[/url] Roll = 5 skill = 75% Roll was successful
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Bishop looked up, "Of course, of course, take whatever time you need. I have a family moving in at the beginning of April. So I just need a day or two to get it ready. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

As Mr Bishop turns and starts to leave Richard calls to him"Mr Bishop"
Richard waits until Bishop turns around and looks back at him.
Richard then looks him directly in the eyes and states in a calm and reassuring voice "You have my word that we will do our very best to have this all taken care of as quickly and as quietly as possible"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Late? The advert had read 7.00pm. Warren fumbled at his waistcoat and dragged his battered pocket watch from one of the pockets, he glanced at it and realised that it had stopped at 6.57pm.
For a moment he shook it, vigorously, then smiled at the woman. Receptionist he thought, “Sorry”, he grinned apologetically. Folded his overcoat, which had turned out unnecessary so far, over his arm, took off his hat and moved towards the door she had indicated which he guessed was the 'Lounge'.
Inside the room a group of men seemed already in full flow. Damn, he thought, I hope I haven’t missed anything important…
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Occigon »

"I also suggest we don't rush into things," Charles says firmly. "We've gotten a lot of information. Let's digest it, check up on it, and go to the house with a better idea of what we're looking for."

He pauses a minute, then continues. "Besides, I'm not sure that answering an advertisement in a newspaper, being told an improbable story and then dashing off the same night to a supposedly empty house is necessarily a wise course of action. Or, for that matter, a safe one."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Ms. Patton leads Warren into the lounge. "Excuse me gentlemen. Doctor, may I introduce Mr. Warren Kaine."

Dr. Chambers looks at the man who entered, a strange look came over him for a second, its hard to tell if he is upset, disappointed or just deep in thought. Then almost as quickly a big smile broke out onto his face. "Welcome Mr. Kaine, please come in." As he motions for Warren to take a seat, he reaches into a cabinet and pulls out a small flask and hands it to him. On one side is written 'M.A.P.S' and on the back side is Warren's name. Inside it is filled with Warren's favorite liquor.

Then to the rest of the group. "I will leave you gentlemen to figure out what course of action to take next. I can see wisdom in either path. But I must retire to get ready for my trip. Stay as late as you like tonight. Ms. Patton can get you whatever you think you might need." He then goes around the room shaking all of your hands, while saying the same thing. "Thank you, be careful, and good luck." Almost like it was a ritual of some sort.

When he gets to Warren last. "I'm sorry we didn't get to visit, I'm sure your new friends here can fill you in on everything. Good luck."

Then he looks over to Mr. Bishop, "Let me walk you out." And the 2 men leave the room.

Ms. Patton is standing in the lounge entryway. "Is there anything I can get you gentlemen tonight?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard reply's to Ms Patton "A map that shows the part of town that this house is on if you have one"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Warren stares quizically at the flask for a few moments, turning it back and forth, "M.A.P.S", he reads the letters aloud, "What the hell is M.A.P.S?"
He unstoppers the flask and sniffs the contents, "Hmm, Southern Comfort", he traces his name, "How the hell...?"
As if suddenly aware of the others he nods at them, "Warren Kaine, would someone like to fill me in?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”