IC: Ch. 10 Back into the Breach...uh I mean House

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Re: IC: Ch. 10 Back into the Breach...uh I mean House

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard pulls his hand pick from his satchel and uses that to see if helps to dig in further, he will use the shovel to remove the dirt that he dislodges with the pick.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

As everyone else stands around and watches Richard, for a long time, you continue to dig out the dirt, going further and further in. Finally, you are laying on your belly, reaching into the small space with your arm, digging away at the dirt, when your small pick finally hits what feel like wood, 2 - 2 1/2 feet back from the window.

By this time Jordie and Sonny remove the 2 large Kerosene fueled lights from the back of the truck.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard says "I have found something wooden in here" as he starts to try to dig out around the wooden surface to discover its size and shape
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You pick your way up and it goes up to the underside of the house.

And it goes as far left, right and down as you can go, which isn't far.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Ben,I am assuming that this is bigger than the size of the window?
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"What do you think it is? Is it a foundation beam?"

Harrison lights up again. He must have gone through half a pack in the time they've been digging here.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Richard,yes.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard reply's "no I don't think it is a foundation beam because it is bigger than the window opening"
Ben,I do not think this is a foundation beam correct? Also where do I think it is at in relation to a floor in the house so we can go in and look for trap doors in the floor and where do I think it is from the closest basement wall to look for an entrance there as well
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

It would be in the living room. And is a long way from the basement. It is not a support beam. Feels more like a wall.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard stands back up and turns to the others "I think there is a wall in there, it appears to be under the living room so lets go check the living room for any secret doors that may lead us into a secret room in the basement" he gathers up his items and places them back into his satchel and slings it over his shoulder and heads for the living room through the front door.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Returning the slightly smaller roll of sticking plaster to his satchel, Scott starts after Richard. Any fearful thoughts are quickly submerged beneath a thrill of excitement that suddenly courses through his body.
Scott thinking:   This is what I came for a real haunted house investigation  
Even so he couldn't quite shake the image of the reporter lying on the cold earthen floor with that strange dagger protruding from his chest. As he follows Richard he flashes a weak smile at Michael and the cigarette smoking Harrison.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

Charles takes a deep breath. "Why is it that going into this house never feels like a good idea?" he mutters. Nevertheless, he walks with a determined step towards the door.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Probably because it isn't." Michael responds, following the others. "If all goes well this should be our last visit. Or poorly, I suppose."

As soon as he enters the house, the former cop pulls out his gun. He's not sure how much help it will give him, but it eases his mind a bit all the same.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Before going into the house, Harrison casts a glance at the light crew. He salutes them with a nod and then enters the house.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Slowly shuffling towards the steps of the house with Sonny, Jordie returns a weak smile back as she continues to carry one of the searchlight equipment to the house.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison stops and turns in his track to go help Jordie and Sonny.

"I'm not sure if it's fear or magnanimity, but let me take that from you."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard walks into the living room and starts by checking the floor for any doors or secret compartments
spot hidden roll if needed,[dice]0[/dice]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

As Harrison goes back to help, you can see Jordie is struggling with it, as is Sonny. He seems strong enough to handle it, but his short stature, makes it difficult to balance the extremely bulky lanterns. Each weighs around 60 lbs.

As Richard goes into the house, you hear it groan. You ignore the obvious cliche and move into the living room. Stepping steps off from the front wall of the house to just past the fireplace to where the 1st window would be at.

There are some throw rugs down, but you quickly move them out of the way to find solid hard wood floors. They seem a bit worn and could be sanded and refinished. But nothing that looks like a door, or piece out of place.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

"The house is groaning?"
Scott thinking:   What the hell have I got into now?  
Rather than step over the threshold, Scott turns around abruptly, "Think I'll give Sonny a hand"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Jordie nods her head towards the truck outside, "There's another light in the back of the truck." Slowly moving inside the house, Jordie sets the light down by the front door to catch her breath.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”