IC: Ch. 10 Back into the Breach...uh I mean House

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: IC: Ch. 10 Back into the Breach...uh I mean House

Post by Silver Priest »

Snapping out of his daydream, Michael follows Scott and Richard.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by BenTheRat »

As you break out the window, you can shine your light in to the room and it is the basement the others told you they were in. Richard can confirm this is where they fought the knife.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard says to Scott "Lets try that on one of the windows in the front and see what we get"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Scott stands and follows Richard to one of the front windows and kneeling repeats the procedure. Strips of sticking plaster followed by sharp crack on the glass with the pistol butt...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Michael attempts to cover Scott, making it more difficult for any passerby to notice what no doubt looks like a potential break in.
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Who comes to a housewarming party on time?

Rolling up to the curb, Jordie climbs out of the Chevy pickup fashionably late. Her pistol stirred nervously under her arm, as Jordie walks to the back of the truck, looking over to the dark and sinister house with a kill-streak that would put a mass-murderer to shame. Jordie notices the rest of the gang all poking and prodding around the house - as if dissecting it to the heart of the problem. Clambering to the back of the truck, Jordie unfastens the straps binding the searchlight equipments. Hoping the light would shine through whatever lived inside. Burning away the creature and it's dark past. Jordie had a hard time humouring herself any of this would work. If anything, if the light couldn't burn it away, it would only make the shadows leap higher.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Jordie,these will be hard for you to get out by yourself, you will probably need help. Or you can make a strength check. You notice Sonny hasn't made it either.
As you break the glass it doesn't go in like it did in the other one. So using a small tool, you can pull the broken shards back towards you and you reveal the hard packed earth behind the window.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Scott leans forward and prods the earth, "What the heck is that about, wonder how thick it is?"
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard pulls out his shovel and starts digging in through the window to see if he can judge the depth of the dirt.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Sonny walks up to Jordie - Hey, sorry I'm late he says a little sheepishly kinda got carried away last night, didn't get back til late and overslept a bit. he nods over to the house and the others, have we started the party yet?

He carefully places his trumpet in the cab and helps unload the kit off the Chevvy.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The windows are not large, maybe 6" tall and a bit less than 2' wide. You can get your shovel in a bit and dig out some of the dirt.

You go back about 6-8" and its still dirt. You are seeing an unusually large number of worms and bugs though.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Scott steps back a few feet watching as Richard struggles to make any difference to the earth packed behind the window.
"Jeez is there a room behind there, buried somehow?" he turns around and wathches as Jordie and Sonny unpack some mean looking lights from her car, "What the hell, is she expecting some kind of Broadway performance?" he laughs at his attempt at humour, then feels foolish and shuts up abruptly.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison flicks away his cigarette and lights a new one.

"Worms...I hate worms, they are so unworldy..."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard chuckels a little at Scotts joke about Jordie and says "I have no idea what goes through that women's head, she just kind of drops in and out as she please's and bats her eyelash's and thinks that is suppose to make us think that she is value added to the team. I am still waiting to see a break through helpfull moment. The guy who put this team together chose us for a reason, so I am sure she is here for a good reason"
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

Charles looks thoughtfully at the freshly dug earth. "Do those worms and bugs look coincidental to you? Aren't there... a bit more than there should be? Should we keep digging, or...?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I say keep digging. Someone went to a lot of effort to pack all that dirt in there. Michael frowns at all the bugs.

"There do seem to be a lot of them. Be ready. I think maybe someone was buried in all this dirt. Explains the number of bugs." Michael had seen a few decaying corpses, and they had always attracted a number of "admirers".
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard nods his head in agreement and continues to dig as much of the dirt out as he can.
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

The music in the air felt like a negative vibe all around her, the silent gestures that tacitly acknowledge Jordie's presence, all judging and calculating her every decision. Arrested to the thought, that everybody had the impression of Jordie being useless, and nothing more than dead-weight. Rendered two-dimensional, her self-confidence not looking as good as she looks.

Jordie looks up without her eyes meeting Sonny's, "Thank you dear," as she unfastens all the ropes to reveal two portable searchlights. Jordie attempts to lift the searchlight with Sonny

She looked over towards the rest of the gang and notices the new facelift they've given to the house. The disturbed earth drew Jordie's attention, as she see's Richard and the others digging it up. It wasn't what's inside the hole Jordie cared about, rather, only what she saw was his bones straining under the weight of all the lives he wasn't living, watching the shovel heave the earth away. Though Jordie wasn't any better than anybody else, scratching around for a few dollars just like everybody else.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You find the digging gets harder since the window is not very tall. You have dug back about 15" now. You are just having to shove the shovel into the dirt and then scrape it out.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Scott nods agreement with Michael, "Once over in France some of the men were enlarging our bunker when a section collapsed. In the earth fall we found the remains of some previous inhabitant of the trench, probably been there for a while. The sheer amount of worms and bugs in attendance was phenomenal" He shivers at the memory and steps a few feet further back.
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”