Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch 6d: Back to the Paper (Richard and Warren)

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:07 pm
by BenTheRat
Date: March 22, 1921, 12 PM

You get in the car to head over to the paper. Richard you realize you are still in the same clothes you had on yesterday in the fight. You look like a mess, blood on your shirt, etc...

Re: IC: Ch 6d: Back to the Paper (Richard and Warren)

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:33 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine

"Uh, Richard do you want to swing by your place and get a change of clothes before we hit the Globe? You look a mess"

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 am
by DrVendetta
Richard reply's with a small laugh as he looks down at his self "Yes I think that would be a good idea, a very quick shower and a change of cloths should only take me 15 minutes" Richard then gives directions to his place.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:30 am
by BenTheRat
After you freshen up you head over to the Globe.
As you walk in the office looks a lot busier than normal. People are yelling and running around, even the receptionist isn't at her desk like usual.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine

I go up to the nearest employee, "Something up?"
Then quickly scan the office for Jen, Joe, or Phil.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:01 pm
by BenTheRat
Warren recognizes most of the people there, they all look like they are busy. You recognize this, this is print deadline is behind. You see your editor Sam, he is going from desk to desk asking for status. Occasionally someone will hand him something, he scans it for a sec, marks it with a red pen and hands it back.
No sign of Phil or Jenn, you see Joe come out of the back room, then back in.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine

I check the pistol is in easy reach, then catching Richard's attention I point to the back room, "Joe"

Casually I move to the doorway of the room and peer inside.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:44 pm
by BenTheRat
As Warren tries to make his way to the back Sam stops him. "Warren, thank God you came in. We go to print in just over an hour and we are at least 1 article short. Show me that old magic you use to have. Can you get me something in under an hour." He is pointing towards your desk. The typewriter slightly dusty since you wrote your last article.
"You told me you were working on something big, Now would be a great time to hand it in, what with Phil and Jenn not coming in."

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine

"Where's Phil and Jen then, without Phil there is no story? If you know where he is you've gotta tell me" I keep my eye on the back room in case Joe makes an untimely appearance.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:49 pm
by BenTheRat
"What do you mean? Do you know where Phil is?" Sam said. "Phil just never showed up, and Jen was caught up in that sting on the speak easy last night. Still trying to get all that sorted out. She's home now but pretty shaken up. Someone else is covering that story. I need you to come up with something new."

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm
by DrVendetta
As Warren is intercepted by one of his fellow employees Richard heads towards the back to check in on Joe and to see what it is they are printing.
As Richard reaches the back room he walks up to Joe. staying out of the way of what he is working on and says "Anything in this print run about last night Joe? I hear that Phil has gone missing today what have you heard?"

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:43 pm
by BenTheRat
The big story on the board is a raid on a speakeasy last night. You don't see anything about what happened with you last night. Joe looks at you and immediately looks around, like he is nervous.
"I don't know where Phil is, I don't know what you're talking about." Then grabs up some papers and starts to head out of the room.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:45 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard says to Joe as he is walking away "Relax Joe everything is going to be ok as long as you keep your promise" then he walks back to find Warren

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:48 pm
by DrVendetta
Walking back to the front room Richard walks over to Jens desk and looks to see if there is any available material laying out that might clue him in on what she might have been working on that had caught Phil's interest.

Richard also tries to discreet signal to Warren to come over to Jen's desk as well as he might know the proper place to look.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 pm
by BenTheRat
Joe puts his head down and rushes off.
Jen's desk is exceptionally clean. Nothing on it to indicate any kind of story.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine
I notice Richard's gesture and nod, "Okay Sam give me a couple of hours to see if I can track down Phil."
I turn to walk over to Richard, but stop after a pace or two, "Oh, by the way do we have an address for Phil?"

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:09 pm
by BenTheRat
"Look we don't have 2 hours. Someone already went over there. He aint home. I need something from you now. "Sam is yelling at this point.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:29 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine

"Hey don't yell at me. I can't magic a story outa thin air. I need Phil's notes. Now you're saying that he's gone AWOL, so whats his address there may be a way of getting in and getting the notes."

I walk away, "Now either you help me find Phil, or you don't. One way you'll get a story the other you'll be left whistling Dixie. Your choice"

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 pm
by BenTheRat
"Come on, surely got something. You know how it is, if you have to go get it, its too late. Phil lives over on Howard street, but if you go out those doors without handing me a story, don't bother to come back." Sam shakes his head, "I've covered for you for a long time, I know the war messed you up, but it's time for you to step up. I need you now."

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 am
by DrVendetta
Richard winks at Warren and then looks down at Jen's desk indicating to Warren that maybe this would be justification to look through Jen's desk for notes on a 'story' to pull his editor out of the fire.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:09 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine

I take my hat off and rub a hand over my forehead,
Warren thinking:   Calm down and smile before you blow your top and hit him.  
"Okay Sam I get the message. I'll have to look through Jen's desk for notes if I'm to come up with the goods"
I walk over to Jen's desk take off my coat and along with my hat throw them on the chair and begin looking for anything of interest.
Spot Hidden,Fail 65% 1d100 → [71] = (71) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4292954/

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:10 pm
by BenTheRat
As Warren searches through the drawers, nothing jumps out at you except a piece of scrap paper that has
Corbitt,
Tom Lawrence or 'Law'
121 Norman Street
Meet Warren 8 PM

Richard you see the note as well.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:14 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine
"Hmm, that will be from my phone call yesterday asking her to look in the archives then see me at 8:00"
I gesture to the paper only to aware that it might agravate Richard's suspicions about my connection to Phil.
"I don't see anything of use here. How about you?"
Our next move is obviosly to go check out Phil's place, but I'm only to aware that if I leave now I can kiss working for the Globe goodbye. Unless of course this story gets big enough to buy the papers indulgence.
I smile at the redfaced Sam over the intervening desks. If I told what we know so far about the house, the reverend, the chapel and the apparent disinterest by the authorities and this newspaper... I smile again, absentmindedly, "So are we finished here or what?"

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:01 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard looks over the piece of paper and speaks quietly to Warren "Did you ask her to check into all of these or did she get this address and names from someone else?"

"I understand if you have to stay for the next 2 hours and type something up for your boss there, if you want to knock that out I can go check on some things and come pick you back up in an hour or two to keep you out of the firing line with your boss."

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:36 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine
I smile at Richard and nod "Yup that's the names I gave her and the address of the house. See, she even wrote down the time we were to meet. I guess Phil could've read the note and that way been able to get me and her out of the way."

I smile again, though more grimly this time, "I wonder if someone suggested that Jen take me to that speakeasy and then tipped off the cops as to its whereabouts?" I rub a hand across my jaw and realise that I need a shave real bad. "Trouble is I don't have any story to give them, so I may as well walk now as be pushed later"

I pick up my hat and coat and make my way to the front doors...

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:03 pm
by BenTheRat
Sam watches you as you walk out but doesn't say a word.
Warren and Richard,so where are you off to next.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:22 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine
Aware of Sam's eyes burning holes in my back, I shrug on my overcoat and pull my hat on. As the door to the Globe closes behind me I turn to Richard, "So we check out Phil's place over on Howard Street, yeah?"

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard reply's "Sounds like as good as plan as any"

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:13 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard follows Warren out to the car and they drive to Phil's House on Howard street.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:22 pm
by BenTheRat
You pull up the Phil's home.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:14 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks around to see if he can see the car Phil pulled away in last night parked any where on the street or if there is a garage in the back of the house.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:28 am
by BenTheRat
You pull up to the address you have for Phil and you do not see the car from last night. There is no alley around back. The garage is facing the front.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:59 am
by DrVendetta
Richard tells Warren "Keep the engine running a minute I am going to go check to see if the car is in the garage" and Richard jumps out and discreetly walks over to the garage and peeks in the window.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:26 am
by BenTheRat
You go up and peak in the window and there is no car in the garage.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:22 am
by DrVendetta
Richard motions to Phil to cut the car engine and to meet me up at the front door, I walk around to the front and check the mailbox to see if there is a name on it or any mail with a name on it in the mailbox to see if this is actually Phil's place.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:37 am
by BenTheRat
There is no name on the mailbox, but inside you find a letter with the name Phillip Svanstrom on it.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:48 am
by DrVendetta
Richard places the letter back into the mailbox and takes notice of the return address on it. Then walks over to Warren "According to the mail the tenant here is Phillip Svanstrom. The car he left the lot with last night is not in the garage, so do you want to try to break in and snoop around or go do some research on him now that we have a hopefully true and full name for him? Or we could go ask some of the neighbors if they know anything about him." Richard turns around and takes in the neighborhood as he waits on Warrens answer

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:04 am
by Priest
Warren Kaine
"Hmm, Svanstrom eh? Might be worthwhile checking that name out"
I gaze at the buildings, "Sam said they'd already sent someone round his place to find him, so I'm guessing that they asked the neighbours if the'd seen him and so asking them probably wont help"

I look along the, hopefully, quiet street to see if any of the nearby curtains twitch to show the presence of nosy neighbours.
"I hate to suggest this being an upright, law abiding citizen and all, but busting in might be the only option"

I grin at Richard, "You any good at this sort of thing? I aint, busting things, yeah subtle? No. I'll keep watch"

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard and Warren,make a spot hidden check.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:56 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard spot hidden,roll = 15 so a success chance = 45 [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4299924/[/url]

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:34 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine
Warrens Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [64] = (64) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4300007/

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:49 pm
by BenTheRat
You both notice the curtain shift like someone peaking out of the curtain. Its across the street and over 1 house.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine
I nod in the direction of the house with the twitching curtains, "Seems like we are being watched, lets go and see what else they've noticed"
Without waiting for an answer I walk over to the house in question and knock on the front door.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:29 pm
by BenTheRat
No one answers.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:19 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard knocks on the door just a little louder and says through the door "Excuse me we know you are home we just need to ask you a few quick questions could you please give us a minute of your time?"

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 am
by BenTheRat
The door cracks open about an inch. You see an old woman peeking out. "Are you the police?"

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:30 am
by DrVendetta
Richard responds softly trying to build the ladies trust "No ma'am we are not, but we are checking in on your neighbor over there because we think he has been up to some very odd things that have us a bit worried. Could you please spare us a moment or so of your time to let us know what you know of him and any strange things you have seen that have gone on over there?"

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:36 am
by BenTheRat
"Not the police, huh. That's too bad, I've called them at least a dozen times. All those strange comings and goings in the night. But how do I know your not a couple those rapists. I read you know."

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:58 am
by DrVendetta
"Ma'am my friend and I mean you no harm, we are just investigating this neighbor of yours and all of the strange things he has been up to. You mentioned you have called the police about 'those strange comings and goings in the night' would you care to elaborate on those things? This might help us get the proper authorities involved?" Richard says in a calm soft and polite voice to the lady

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine

As Richard seems to be doing alright with the lady, I leave the chat to him. Instead turning around and looking over to Phil's in case I spot any movement from within.
Just in case,Spot Hidden 65% 1d100 → [91] = (91) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4301030/ Failed

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:48 pm
by BenTheRat
"Well I've seen him taking bodies in and out of that house of his at all hours of the night. He always does it at night thinking no one can see." She says.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine

"So have you seen any sign of him last night or today?"

In the time I've been watching Phil's place I haven't seen any movement at the windows to give me any reason to suspect his presence.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:09 pm
by BenTheRat
She has cracked the door open a bit more so you can see her face. "Well he come home last night, maybe around midnight. Then left again about 30 later. Then this morning some men were looking around. I'm not a snoop or anything, I'm just making sure our neighborhood is safe."

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:58 pm
by DrVendetta
"I appreciate and support your vigilance in trying to help keep your neighborhood safe." Richard says trying to compliment the woman and to help show that her efforts are helping the neighborhood. Richard continues "Last night when he came in was he alone? Did he bring a body or anything else unusual in with him?"

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 am
by BenTheRat
"You mean last night, no body. I heard him pull up, so took a quick look and he ran in empty handed, then about 15 to 20 minutes later ran out with a suitcase, put it in his trunk and drove off." she replied.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:16 am
by DrVendetta
"Did you notice anything special about the suitcase? Did it look like a suitcase for cloths like he might be leaving town or a suitcase to carry tools or books or something else?" Richard ask

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:21 am
by BenTheRat
"It was just a suitcase, I don't have X-ray vision after all." She says.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:42 am
by DrVendetta
Richard smiles at the lady and ask "What time did the other two people show up this morning and what did they look like?"

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:44 am
by BenTheRat
"Its not like I take pictures, it was just 2 guys, they came about 8, knocked, looked in the garage and left. Thats all I know" and she shuts the door.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:19 am
by DrVendetta
Richard turns to Warren "So do you think he skipped town?"

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:36 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine
"Possible. Though where would he go with a dead body?"
I open and glance at my watch, "I told the others that we'd meet them at the house at 2pm. If there's time though we need to have a look around at Phil's"
To the lady I smile and tip my hat politely, "Thanks ma'am for your help, we'll be sure to pass on your worries to the authorities"

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:38 pm
by BenTheRat
As you look at your watch you see its about 1:30.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:02 am
by DrVendetta
"Actually we should probably go meet the others its about time anyway, we can always come back with Jordie since she seems to know her way around locks. I am sure the two guys that stopped by were from the paper. Coming back and seeing what we can find here may be a good option if the others havent turned anything else up yet" Richard says to Warren as they walk back to the car

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:16 pm
by Priest
Warren Kaine
I nod in agreement, "Okay, the house it is then"
Pausing momentarilly I take time to light a cigarette,
Warren thinking:   Later Phil but don't worry you'll get what's coming fella  

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:17 pm
by BenTheRat
As you drive back you see everyone except Harrison outside the house. 3 are talking outside the car, you see Jordie kicked back making herself comfortable reading in the back of the car.
OOC:   go here.